“Details on a PERFECT vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Cayman Beach Suites

You added Grand Cayman Beach Suites to your Saves list
Grand Cayman Beach Suites
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Seven Mile Beach KY1-1101, Grand Cayman (Formerly Hyatt Beach Suites)   |
Special Price
50% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
East Coast
“Details on a PERFECT vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Just returned yesterday from my trip to the Grand Cayman Beach Suites. I chose this hotel after reading COUNTLESS reviews over a period of two months about the hotels on the island. I LOVED it...

Walked down the beach to the Ritz -- and it was PACKED -- I was thinking of staying here originally...but had friends join us on the trip and with a larger family, they wanted to save a little money -- great call...because it was just wall-to-wall people and it was "off-season"!! Our beach at Grand Cayman Beach Suites was flawless -- perfect!!!! You can see from my pictures, not a lot of people in the water...

I only have one negative, which I will get to in a bit -- but first, the positives. This is an all suite hotel -- every single room has an "ocean view" -- not to be confused with "ocean front" -- You can see the ocean from every room -- Are they all magnificent "full frontal views"...no -- but you have a view of the ocean -- we stayed in Room 8404 which has a "full" balcony -- we were on the 4th floor and yes, we did have palm trees in front of us, but for the amount of time I was in my room, the view was just perfect! When the sun would set, we headed to the beach to sit and watch it...just awesome...it set around 6:40ish local time...

I started in Room 8208 which has the "french balcony" -- we could not check in when we arrived at about noon time as check in time is 3 p.m. and this hotel ACCOMODATES everyone with a late check out -- we had a 4:05 p.m. flight home and they accommodated us with a late check out -- so you have to weigh it all out -- I had packed our swimsuits and a change of clothes in our carry on...we were pointed to a changing area and we spent the afternoon swimming -- I had requested a high floor, but there were none available when I checked in -- later that day I said would stay in my room, as the view was fine and the room was great -- but when I went to the front desk, the GM Bill Powers was there and he worked his computer and upgraded me to 8404 "free of charge" starting the following night. As it was explained to me: "if they have the room available they will not charge you" -- the next day Rosanna showed me the room before I checked into it and it was devine!

As for the construction -- I stayed in a room next to it the first night 8208 and it just didn't bother me -- but that is just my opinion -- it didn't sound like they were in my room...

The rooms are large with couch, chairs, dining table, desk, large TV, counter space, refrigerator, etc -- the bedrooms are great -- the bathrooms are large -- It was perfect for when we were actually in our room -- both rooms we were in were VERY clean -- no issues with anything -- I'm there for the beach, etc...so I can't complain about it being dated...I really didn't think it was --

The food is outrageously expensive -- and the U.S. dollar becomes a lot of dollars -- if something is $1.00 in Cayman dollars, it is $1.25 in U.S. dollars -- one drink at the great swim up bar is $8.75 Cayman dollars!!! So just beware that it is very expensive -- 3 meals a day for myself and my 4 year old (plus a few drinks during the day) ran about $200-$250 a day -- and it wasn't lavish meals -- AND, kids 12 and under ate free!!! Very expensive...

I will HIGHLY suggest the breakfast at Hemingways...we had breakfast there EVERY morning! Very reasonable and VERY GOOD! And if you can get Rosa as your server, it starts your day off perfect -- she was amazing -- had her every single morning we were there -- She remembered us from day one and always had our drinks ready -- accommodated every request and is just a delightful person!

The same can be said for Brad at the swim up bar -- what a nice guy -- he, too, remembered us from day one and what we liked to drink, etc... He was the perfect guy to be behind that bar -- and the other gentleman who was with him, taking our lunch order, etc... I feel awful not knowing his name (kept looking at his name tag...want to say Nemo...but could never get a great look) -- he was so great -- always with a smile and a hello and so helpful --

While I am naming names -- Let me go back to Rosanna at the front desk -- AMAZING! I would wait until she was there to address any needs/concerns/questions -- she was the only one who was pleasant -- okay...so there was one other lady there who was pretty pleasant -- but not with the smile and the demeanor of Rosanna -- I read a TON of reviews with travelers complaining about the front desk service and I could not agree more -- Bil Powers and company NEED to address the attitudes. When I arrived I was not greeted with a smile...but rather with an attitude of someone who wanted to be anywhere but there. Rosanna and Bill are the ones to deal with there - they get it done -- the front desk supervisor when I checked out was VERY arrogant (first time I saw her the whole vacation) and glad I didn't have to deal with her on a regular basis -- in the 9 minutes I had to deal with her, she was just very condescending, arrogant and a bit rude --

My example -- I brought my bill down which said I had breakfast at Hemingway's and in-room breakfast the SAME day for something like $70 -- I said I did not have breakfast in my room at all -- through some research she finds that it was actually for ANOTHER day and was at night for a bottle of wine (yes, that's what is cost after delivering it and tip!!!)...which was fine -- but she says to me "so WE were right" -- I said -- "no, you were wrong -- you had it for breakfast -- it is a charge I am responsible for...no problem -- but you were not right" -- I was merely questioning the charge for two breakfasts on one day -- there were SO MANY charges for more than $1,000 for a 6 night vacation, I was questioning what I saw -- when we realized it was for ANOTHER night and I remembered ordering a bottle of wine for myself and friends, it was perfect flne -- DO NOT say to the guest "so we were right" -- REALLY? So I can do without that attitude -- and again, glad I didn't have to deal with her on a regular basis...

Let Rosanna book any of your excursions -- like swimming with the dolphins -- we asked about discounts and were told IMMEDIATELY there were none -- then we asked Rosanna and she gave us a coupon sitting right there on the shelf in plain view for 50% off with the dolphins -- and the experience was amazing (though it is very rushed and it's a business...get in and get out)...for my 4 year old it was perfect!

Sting Ray City is a must -- the crew at Red Sail Sports are awesome -- Clive could use a bit of a personality lift -- he was just not very "kind" whenever I had to deal with him -- he always acted like I was bothering him -- the young lady in the morning was fantastic --

Buy or bring a regular inflatable raft/float and she will blow it up for free for you -- without attitude -- the floats/rafts there are $11.00 a day to rent --

The Red Sail Sports trip to Sting Ray City...amazing -- starts with boat ride on Catamaran to Sting Ray City -- then a trip to Rum Point Island for a few hours (great, reasonable lunch) with snorkeling (baracudas under the bridge), then sail back to the Beach Suites (Red Sail is on Beach Suites property)...the crew was so great -- so friendly!

The beach there is amazing -- even with a FULL hotel, hardly seemed like many people were there -- very evenly spread out among the two pools and the beach -- more than plenty of chairs at the beach --

Just one note...this hotel (which was the Hyatt) has pool memberships for the locals (which is something from back in the Hyatt days)...so Sat. and Sun. can be busy at the pool and there was one day we could not get chairs -- the locals can bring friends, so those chairs can be gone quickly -- but for us, we were in the pool anyway and at the beach --

Again, my only negative: the front desk staff with the exception of Rosanna -- just not friendly -- and when I left my phone charger in my first room -- and then 4 hours later asked for it, I was NOT helped -- I was helped the next morning by Rosanna who reached out to the housekeeping manager (who is also a doll...so nice and friendly as was all the housekeeping staff!!!) who immediately gave it to me -- just not sure why I couldn't be helped the day before! I do give it a 5-star rating and will not give it less just because some people are miserable -- hopefully this will be addressed!

I tried to give you an idea of my whole vacation...which was 5 star -- it really was -- but the hotel business is about "hospitality"...and that is severely lacking at the front desk --

Shout outs to Martin at Hemingways who was lovely and accommodating.

When I think about the places I have traveled and where I will return, the Grand Cayman Beach Suites is a definite -- I just loved it -- Thank you for everything you did for my son and myself while we were there --

Room Tip: 8404 is on the 4th floor -- yes, there are palm trees in front -- but it was still a wonderful view...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Hotel: Got everything except stove (like a small apartment). Not bad and clean.
Services: Very friendly and helpful.
Pool: couple of small pools and there are plenty of chairs, no need to waking up early to reserve it.
Gym: small gym, and the equipments new.
Shops: there are a couple of stores, but its expensive.
Restaurants: Restaurants are good. There's no charge for setting up a dinner table on a beach.

Room Tip: Lease a car for a day, cuz it only take 1 1/2 hrs to go all around the island. Everything is a dist...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed a week there for my wedding and could go on forever about how much both myself and my husband loved it! We were treated like kings and queens by all the hotel staff, and were on a first name basis with them after being there only a day. Our wedding was more than we ever imagined and we would not change a thing if we were to do it all over again. Everything was perfect from the location to the weather to the food and the service. The rooms are beautiful and clean with great views. The people are all very helpful, polite, and friendly. Marina Flynn, (our wedding planner), really helped to make our day amazing. It would not have been so great without her. I would highly recommend Grand Cayman Beach Suites to anyone for either a wedding or a vacation. We just got back, and are already planning our trip for next year! It is highly recommended by myself, my husband, and our 25 guests that joined us for our special day!

• Stayed August 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Just returned from Grand Cayman and it's now my favorite Carribean destination. Was tempted to stay at the Ritz but I now understand what folks mean about the access to the beach from the Ritz hotel is not ideal. We walked to the Ritz for lunch and the food is great at the Ritz but it was much more crowded. The smaller GC Beach Suites is just so much more comfortable...not very crowded on the beach; daily BBQ if you want to have something light for lunch. Hemmingways was very nice but preferred for breakfast or lunch. You can definitely do breakfast and lunch in the room given the kitchenettes are available but we preferred to sit and look at the water from Hemmingways. We had a beautiful ocean view; the 1 bedroom ocean view is very spacious. The beach was perfect; hotel staff were all very accommodating. Fairly hot in August but nothing that the beautiful, clear water couldn't cool down. Lots of nice restaurants along 7-mile beach. Ate at the Ritz (Seven) and the food was very good but our favorite restaurant Ragazzi. We would love to go back to GC Beach Suites. Lots of great restaurants. Seems safer and cleaner than all the other Carribean islands we've been to and we have been to many.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view; it's worth it.
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed here with a group of 3 adults and 2 children. We got a really good last-minute booking deal, otherwise I couldn't afford this place. The Two bedroom oceanfront suites are AMAZING. A HUGE living room with attached full kitchenette, marble countertops. The second bedroom is just a little room with twin beds and a TV (fine for kids) but the master bedroom is huge with wraparound windows and a jacuzzi bath. The balcony is ridiculously large, bigger than a lot of hotel rooms. It would be a GREAT choice as a place to throw a party. If you can get a good rate, go for one of those suites. Oh, and the sleeper sofa is reasonably comfortable, which they often aren't, so you actually can get 6 people in there. The location is very central in the 7 Mile Beach tourist zone. The service is what you would expect in a high-end resort.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Kissimmee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Just got back from our awesome vacation. I love our stay at GC Beach Suites. We arrived early in Grand Cayman at 11:30 and our room was not ready then but they greeted us warmly with a glass of champagne and placed our luggage in storage . The people are friendly and hospitable. Rosanna at the front desk gave great recommendations for tours.The room is spacious, with a mini kitchenette. Though the pool is small, the beach is awesome. Location is perfect, equidistant to 2 shopping strip malls with Foster's Supermarket and restaurants that you can walk to. Also has a high-end mall called Camana Bay. Public buses are inexpensive and a great way to go to Georgetown and West Bay. Great memories we had for taking Atlantis glass bottom boat tour and Capt. Marvin's 3 hr Stingray tour and also Webster's shuttle to Rum Point.

Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I loved my stay at the GC Beach Suites. The rooms were spacious, new, and comfortable. The staff friendly and helpful. They welcome you with a mimosa as you arrive and they have complimentary coffee, juices, and tea in the lobby at all times. Their only restaurant on site is Hemingway's apparently Bamboo closed when we were there in July of this year. But there are plenty of other restaurants within walking distance. Deckers right across the street and Lone Star Bar and grill a couple of steps from Deckers. KFC and a grocery store are about 10-15 minutes walking but be aware that they do not have cross walks like in the USA and you have to run across the street when its safe to do so. But the Beach Suites does have a cross walk on the 1st floor if you want to get across the street with out fearing you will get run over.

If I don't give them a full 5 stars its only because there are doing construction next door and if you stay on the construction side and you get a two bedroom the person closest to the door will be awaken promptly at 9am with noise from the construction. Not the hotels fault but you should be aware of this. If you have a 1 bedroom or stay on the furthest bedroom you do not hear the noise at all. The beach on the hotel property is one of the best in the area and was not crowded at all during our stay the 4th week of July. The pool is OK but its mostly over run with kids and the beach is so great and warm why would you want to be in the pool anyways? You can snorkel right there and there with out going to far out the fish are every where. Also the gym is open 24 hours so for those of you who want to watch your weight or like to work out at anytime this is a great option.

Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Just if you are able to or they have availability ask for a room on the other side of the construction it mars the view a bit.

Room Tip: Choose a room farthest from the construction!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grand Cayman Beach Suites? Share your experiences!