I relied very heavily on tripadvisor reviews when choosing the hotel that I wanted for my recent Cayman vacation. Since I am the type of traveler that enjoys spending the majority of my time on the beach or by the pool, I wasn't terribly worried about the poor reviews of the hotel. I figured that I really just needed a nice, safe place to stay at night since I would be up at dawn and have most of my day outside. When I read the reviews and realized that the Comfort Suites was essentially sharing the same beach as the Marriott, I figured that I would save myself the $150/night and just stay at the Comfort Suites. How different could it be!?
Well, I'm here to tell you...it's VERY different and I have no doubt that I would have enjoyed my vacation exponentially more if I had only known to stay at the Marriott instead. While I agree with other reviewers on the quality of the rooms (very clean, plenty of room for two people, etc.), I have never stayed at a hotel with ruder staff in my entire life. This would normally not bother me at all - again, I'm not one to hang out at the hotel and get chummy with the staff. But the extreme rudeness (ignoring me when I walked up to ask for a towel...and then rolling their eyes since they had to put their newspaper down to get one for me; talking on their cell phone while I patiently waited to tell them that the toilet was, once again, stopped up; acting like it was my fault that they gave me a room that was already being used by someone else) displayed on a daily basis by the staff really put a damper on my perception of the hotel. On the other hand, we walked over to the Marriott one evening and were greeted with a smile or a "How are you this evening, ma'am?" from every single Marriott staff member that I encountered. I can only imagine how nice they would have been had I been a guest and asked for a towel!
The other thing that I will point out is that although the Comfort Suites and Marriott share the same beach, it could not be a more different experience as far as the chairs and "extras" that are available. The reviewers that said that the Marriott does not mind if you use their chairs could not have been more wrong. The lovely chairs and umbrellas are exclusively for the Marriott guests and you will be asked to get off of them if you use them. The Comfort Suites guests are allowed 10 rickety, rusty chairs that are available on a first come, first serve basis. There are no umbrellas (not even available to rent) so you are basically sitting in the hot sun all day on a rusty chair while your Marriott neighbors have functioning lounge chairs and individual umbrellas to shade themselves with. Again, this is something that I didn't think I needed until I got there - and I can tell you, you want an umbrella for shade in the 86 degree heat.
So to end this review, please do yourself a favor and realize that if you are going to the Caymans, it's not the time to try to be cheap and save a few bucks here and there (like I thought I would). Instead, spend the extra $150 for a great hotel with friendly staff, plenty of available beach chairs and an umbrella. And don't think that you can just go up to the hotel to have an umbrella...as many other reviewers have pointed out, they are building a huge hotel next to the Comfort Suites. On the afternoons that we would go up to the pool just to have some shade, we were all but asphyxiated by the machine fumes and had not a moment of peace from all of the hammering, sawing and dropping of materials. At least once every half hour, a huge plume of dust would fall over the entire pool area from the construction site. Mothers were actually telling their kids to close their eyes as this mess would fall upon us.
Do me a favor - learn from my mistake and please don't stay here.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Suites 7 Mile Beach
- Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach Hotel
- Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach Hotel Seven Mile Beach
- Seven Mile Beach Comfort Suites
- Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay with someone you know. The hotel enjoys an excellent location beachside in the heart of Seven Mile Beach area close to restaurants, bars and shopping and with breakfast and basic wi-fi access included offering excellent value to the traveller on Seven Mile Beach. While not a beachfront property guests access the beach by a small path a few feet from the back door. The hotel offers 5 suite types: 2-bedroom, 1-bedroom with full kitchen as well as Business Pool View King Studios, Deluxe Studio with 2 beds and Queen Studios each with kitchenette are ideal for any size of family and budget. Onsite Restaurant and Dive Shop with snorkel trips to Stingray City offers convenience at your door step. Best location, best value on Seven Mile. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Choice Hotels, Tingo, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Venere, Agoda and Fareportal so you can book your Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.