“Not as advertised” 2 of 5 stars

Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   West Bay Rd, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Not as advertised”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Ok I'll admit the service at comfort suites deserves 5 star, our room was cleaned very well and the lady was the sweetest, I didn't catch her name but she was the same lady that helped at the breakfast area sometimes. Guadalin and Lynnette are dolls, very sweet, one of the guys too but I didn't get his name and of course our breakfast guys were awesome, with very little space and ingredients managed to cook delicious breakfast. I believe the guy that helped us with chairs and umbrellas name is Carl, he is the most hard working person I've ever seen, kept the area very clean.
Our problem is I picked this hotel because they advertise they have wi-fi. My son does not like the beach and he is a senior in high school and had a ton of homework to do so he was relying on the wi-fi. The first day he tried the free wi-fi and we couldn't even get the google to load. So I told him get the $10 one and he told me he'd have to wait til the next day so he can get signed out but what do you know on the charge sheet we were charged from that day even though we didn't start using the paid internet til the next day. Once we try the paid internet we find out it's a lot slower than even dial-up internet, my son did a speed test and we go back to the free wi-fi and my son dealt with it since he is a very easy going kid. He would get into the loby to get a lil better signal so he could finish his work. We were also relying on the internet too as I wanted to pick the restaurants we were going based on the reviews and we couldn't get those to load with anything and that's how we wound up at a restaurant that charged us $10 per bottle of water a total of $30 even though we didn't ask for the last bottle which was poured and left there since we didn't drink it but that will have it's own review. Honestly I'd have rather had breakfast not included than internet. The beach was very very overcrowded at the comfort suites and marriott and I cut myself couple of times in the ocean cuz they were a lot of corals there, but that is not a problem cuz you can walk a few steps away from marriott and is much better. This Island in general is very rip-off and overrated, they take advantage that families want to go there cuz it's very safe. But so is Aruba and Turks&caicos which btw have the most beautiful water you have ever seen I'd never even compare that to cayman's and we found a lot better deals there than here. In turks&caicos we paid $105 for comfort suites same time of the year. My son is right when he told me why do you pay so much money to go to these islands without infrastracture when you have awesome beaches in US where you can even drive there. I felt like the adults when the child pointed and said "the emperor is naked". Now the "bus" service is $2.5 pp so we'd pay 20 bucks one way for 2 min drive in a minivan that is so old in the states you'll be never be able to find those, and full of the fumes while in aruba you'd go into enviromentally friendly big buses where the windows were left open and all you smell is the island breeze for half the price. It was the first time I came back from vacation and was happy to be home, usually I am sad. This is one of the most expensive islands I've ever been and please dear manager who replies to every review like we're a bunch of liars, save it. We spent 8 grand for a family of 4 on this vacation on on island that doesn't even have decent sidewalks. Now if it was something like st John which is 70% national park and everything looks like you died and went to heaven I understand, but this is just very average beach and nothing else, actually overbuilt in some areas with no adequate beach area and no decent public transportation.
Now on restaurants: my husband and kids ate once at stingers and hated the food but coconut joe's across the street is very good with very fast service and reasonable prices comparing to others. I loved sunshine grill but sometimes there is a 2 hours waiting list it's insane, and my favorite dishes there, havana sandwiches and havana chicken. Casanova is owned by the same people as coconut joes but is upscale and my favorite Italian in the islands without great quality food without the rip off scheme, just delicious food beautiful ocean view, great atmosphere with a guy that plays harp and takes requests from the guests. Very romantic. We couldn't get a reservation at brasserie and i heard that's very good so do it the first day you go there. The ones that called themselves upscale restaurant were rip off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear GenP22
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. From your review you appeared to be fully satisfied with the service and friendliness of our product.
Your key issue were. 1. Internet 2. Price of the Island in general.
1/ Internet: We do offer a basic free wifi service. With the option of an upgrade. This is a fairly basic service.
I am sorry if you expereinced issue with this. Please contact me at comfort@candw.ky and I would be to happy to review your service and also the charge.
2/Price of the Island in General. - Cayman Islands does have a very high cost of living factor. With the CI$ always fixed 10% above the US$. It is a great destination to visit, but these higher costs impact fees to guests. Cayman is a bit different than some of the other Caribbean destinations where costs are not as high.
I hope that this does address and responds to your concerns. Thank you for staying with us.

731 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed march 26-29 and the weather has been terrible windy & overcast - no diving or snorkeling because the seas are too rough- so we've had to spend more time indoors than wanted :(. All the locals say the weather is a fluke situation just our luck!!

Thomas the hotel manager is very nice & helpful and tried to make the best out of our situation by giving us helpful pointers on other activities.

Wifi is spotty at best. The rooms were a dissapointment. Smelled very strongly of mildew especially the bathroom. There was a random black tar-like stain in the shower. The one good thing is the beds were very comfortable. The beach area is limited but the hot tub in the hotel was nice. We ended up going to the Marriott next door because the beach area is much nicer. It's a good adequate family hotel as everything is super expensive in Cayman. But if you're looking for super clean & nice ambiance and are grossed out easily not the place for you...

• Stayed March 2013
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear AM6143

It was a pleasure to meet you all when you were at the hotel. Thank you for your review. Again we are sorry about the weather, wish could of had more to do during your stay and that the latter check out allowed you to visit Stingray.
I will follow up on the housekeeping issues for you, wish you had mentioned when you were down. I know we did get you hooked up with the internet.
Again thank you for staying with us, wish you had better weather.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This was my second trip to Grand Cayman leading a group of high school students. The management and staff at the Comfort Suites were excellent. Prior to the trip they clearly laid out the expectations the hotel had of the students, which allowed the students to enjoy their stay while respecting the needs of the other guests in the hotel. The hotel is excellent value, with spacious clean rooms (the one bedroom suite can be a bit tight for a family of four and I would recommend a two bedroom suite or a deluxe studio), access to Seven Mile Beach, a nice pool and patio area, with a very friendly and professional staff who are quite willing to help guests get the best value for island excursions. The beds are comfortable but the air conditioning units tend to be noisy, which some members of the group found distracting at night. The breakfast provided daily features hot and cold options and there is plenty of good food, the only complaint I would have is there is little variation and after ten days it does get repetitive. The Cayman Islands are an expensive place to visit and it is rare to find a hotel that offers what the Comfort Suites does at this price. I would definitely recommend it for groups or for a family vacation.

Room Tip: If you don't need a full kitchen choose one of the studio rooms as they have more space than the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Ian M
Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your feedback. It was a pleasure to host your group, and we are glad that everyone enjoyed their visit. Best of luck to you and the team with the upcoming season!
Thank you again.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Comfort Suites is a great value hotel. Not ocean front but have access to marvelous Seven Mile Beach, include on Trip Advisor´s best beaches list. Simple, accommodating, very clean and comfortable, they offer 5 suite types that are geared to guests’ budget and number of persons in the room. We had a King Deluxe with a king size bed, bathroom with shower, basic kitchenette that includes a mini-fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee maker and a sofa. Breakfast is included and decent. Staff is usually helpful but could improve their manners. Stingers restaurant & pool bar is awesome. Kind of expensive for what it offers but still convenient for Cayman Is standards. I´ve been travelling/diving/working all over the Caribbean and know the area quite well. Cayman is a fantastic destination, but it is due to the higher cost of living and exchange rates perhaps more expensive than other Caribbean islands. Anyway, high speed Wi-Fi could be included on the room rate. Basic service/faster service??? Does not sound good for customers, manager should know it… Last but not least, the construction of the condos directly between Comfort Suites and the beach really affected the enjoyment of the suites. Good to see the hotel is been newly renovated and refreshed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Lady Seamaster - thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and also our renovation. I appreciate your feedback with regards to our internet services and it one that we will review. Thank you for recognising us for our value that we offer.

Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The cost of room, as it was advertised in Internet, was $ 245/night. But it was turned out, that it was not true. Besides this cost, some additional money was requested at my arriving:
“Occupancy Tax - $ 31.85” (?) was added,
“Service/Gratuity” - $ 24.50,
“Energy Tax” - $ 8.80.
Totally $ 65.15 extra for every day. I overpaid extra $ 456 for 7 days.

I consider such kind of service as fraud. Selecting this hotel, I was deceived with the cost.
Hotels of all World include “Service” into cost of room. I am surprised, why Manager did not guess to take money separately for cold and hot water, for toilet, for shower etc. etc. And it is great shame for Comfort Suites to take additional money for usage the key of safe ($ 2.50/day). Usually for good hotels it is included in room cost also.

I would not recommend to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Val B - Thank you for your review. I must respond as we feel that your comments are not accurate nor are they a fair representation of my hotel and our business practise.
COMFORT SUITES BOOKING
1. ALL additional charges are broken down on ALL booking web sites. When you agree to the terms by clicking on line, it clearly shows these charges. If you review your booking confirmation print out this will be clearly shown. The total shows with the tax etc included and also broken down. I will be happy to provide you with a print out of your booking that show these charges.
2. ALL Hotels in the Cayman Islands charge 10% service fee, 13% tourist tax, both are mandated by the Governement, and in our case an energy fee of $8.80 (Other hotels may charge more for resort fees.) due to high energy costs.
3. At check in you would initial and sign on your registration card acceptance of these fees, the fees are clearly broken down. I would be happy to send you your signed copy of this card as well. We did not hear from you at this time? which surprises me, if it was that much of a concern?
4. On Check out a detailed itemised bill is presented to the guest that clearly shows all these charges. We also do this to be fully transparent to ALL guest on our charges. We do not hide any charges or hidden fees. Is there any other ways that you feel we can make this clearer?
Please contact me and I would be happy to review the charges, your reservation terms and totals and your bill in full detail with you.
To review the hotel as "crooked" based on the above facts and actual billings with our booking practises, I feel is really not fair and does not represent my company fairly.
Val B and any other guests with concerns with this regards - Please contact me at 345-945-7300 or by email comfort@candw.ky and I would be happy to review this with you, and If there are any errors with the billing to also ensure that this is made right.

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Way to expensive for what it offers! We were there for a week, in March 2013.The room is clean, not very big, a little bit old...We had a small kitchen corner, with a fridge and a microwave oven, a sofa corner also. We did not sleep well...I don't know it if was the bed, or a noise we heard from a power generator outside...
The Wi-Fi is NOT included in the room price!!
The breakfast is good, with omelets every day and fruits.
Had it's own private beach, diving center and restaurant.
The restaurant by the pool was very nice, good food for a correct price!
I've tried the one diving session in the pool, it was nice. My partner went diving with them twice, he was quite satisfied.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear LauraBart2

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback. The wifi that we offer in our hotel, has two levels. Their is a basic service that is "free", or that charges 0.01 cent per day due to our computer system and which we are happy to refund to our guests. If a guest chooses a faster service, this can be purchased for a fee of $9.95 per day. We are sorry of this was a problem for you.
Cayman is a fantastic destination, but it is due to the higher cost of living and exchange rates perhaps more expensive than other Caribbean destinations. One of the comments that we recieve is that we offer great value for the money. Hotels on the beach can charge as much as 100-200%+ more in room rate and do not include a full breakfast that we offer as part of the rate. Most other establishments will also not offer wifi for free or 0.01 cent / day.
Again thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your feedback. Please contact me and I would be happy to review your internet charges. And to also refund the 0.01 cent if this was the concern.

Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed as a family at this great hotel for a week in March and absolutely loved it. I'll get into the details of why it was good as well as a few tips we picked up after I get the "pet free" issue out of the way.

I have a pet allergy that impacts my breathing and as a result we ensure the hotels we stay in are pet free. This hotel advertises pet free. Imagine our surprise when we repeatedly saw a medium sized, long haired dog being walked, inside on the main floor hall, on a leash to and from suite 107 during our entire stay. The owner of the dog was always walking briskly. We mentioned this to the front desk staff and they asked if it was a short haired man walking the dog. As he always wore a hat we could not answer. They appologized and said they thought they new who it was. This didn't change the dog walking in the hall during the week we were there. Pet free matters to my breathing and the advertising needs to be changed until the hotel is truly pet free, or at least warn there are pets on the main floor.

Onto the positives and boy were there a lot. All hotel staff, from front desk, to cleaning staff were friendly and nice, what a great team of people.

Martin & Jermaine were amazing at breakfast: Jermaine's tips on how to make interesting waffle combinations were great and their food was always warm and plenitful. We enjoyed sitting outside and soaking up the son while we ate. Yes, there were chickens running around but, um, hello, they run around everywhere in Grand Cayman.

The room (two bedroom suite) was a good size and the cleaning was great. The fridge was much larger than I expected - it is a full sized fridge. There are serving dishes & cutlery for six as well as an aray of pots, a colander and glasses galore.

We walked 15 minutes towards Georgetown to Kirk's Supermarket. This is a modern, North American style store with lots of organic options which was a nice surprise. We carried our lunch fixings back to the hotel, but the hotel advertises that Kirk's delivers which would be a good option if you got a lot of things. We purchased beer & rum at Black Beard's in the 7 Mile Plaza about 5 minutes towards Georgetown from the hotel.

We dove a tonne with Ambassador Divers (will review them separately) and thoroughly enjoyed the people and the valet diving service.

The beach is gorgeous and the hotel has a lot of lounges, never a problem getting a spot. We enjoyed sitting out on them under the stars a few nights and enjoyed the live music from the Marriot next door.

We ate out at quite a few spots along the strip (reviewed separately). The food at the onsite restaurant, Stingers, was good, but small quantities for our hungry, post scuba diving family.

The pool was fantastic and the hot tub was nice, though the temperature did fluctuate dramatically during the week.

We would return to this hotel if the pet issue could be resolved - it is a great value, location & overall place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Boowho3 ?

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Our hotel does allow small pets as several other properties on island also do.

The person you refer to was probably myself. I live in the hotel and do have a small dog, which is pretty quiet and also one that uses the rear acccess and one that is seldom ever in the public areas and also one that is never on the guest floors. I am sorry if the dog bothered you, I wish that you had let me know during your stay and I would have ensured that Chloe was not in the hallway at the time you passed by.

Again thank you for staying with us and for also taken the time to review our hotel.

Thomas Mason CHA

Been to Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach? Share your experiences!