“Wonderful Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunshine Suites Resort

You added Sunshine Suites Resort to your Saves list
Sunshine Suites Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1465 Esterley Tibbetts | Seven Mile Beach, Seven Mile Beach KY1-1201, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Gainesville Florida
“Wonderful Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 8 days. Our room was beautiful. It looked new. It was clean and mostly quiet. We had a king bed with a 2 burner stove, microwave and full size refrigerator. We were on the second floor. Please note this hotel does not have elevators so if you are not able to climb stairs ask for a room on the bottom floor. The grounds are well manicured. They have a pool that I did not use as they have tables for the restaurant outside and I felt weird with people eating and me in my swim suit. Otherwise, I did eat at the restaurant and the portions were huge and it was tasty and inexpensive for Grand Cayman. We had breakfast there each day and it was ok. They had something for everyone. The hotel is situated right off West Bay road and you can easily take the bus or taxi to get about you do not need car really unless you really intend to go exploring. There is a small strip mall in back of the hotel with a frozen yoghurt shop, sushi place, liquor store, sundries shop and a cafe. There is also a Foster's grocery store about a 10 minute walk. They have a nice hot bar with a variety of food. It is 4.99CI per pound. The staff at the hotel were very nice and helpful. I also used the laundry and it was fine. The cost is 1.00CI per load and 1.00CI to dry and it is 1.25CI for one load box of laundry soap. I really enjoyed our stay. I spent some time sitting outside in the hammock and chairs in the shade. Overall I was happy with my stay and would definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was our second trip to Grand Cayman, but first time to Sunshine Suites. We had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and felt this was the best deal for our stay. It completely lived up to everything good we had read.
Upon arriving, our room was not ready but they were quick to offer us bottles of water, a very nice changing room with shower to change if we wanted to use the pool or head to the beach. They gave us towels and held our luggage while we explored the place and the beach.
The beach is a short (seriously 3 minutes or so) walk from the hotel and crossing the street was no hassle at all. We had no issues with where we set up our chairs each day - even on the Westin property at times under their trees for some shade. We never had any issues with this at all.
We had no issue with the wifi and were able to use it through out each day. The staff was always really helpful and kind.
The rooms were quaint and completely sufficient for our stay. We knew we wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the room and just wanted something clean and cool and comfortable. This was all those things. Our room was on the second floor and the back side facing West Bay Road side and was quiet. The kitchenette was also convenient. We walked to a nearby grocery store (Foster's Food Fair about a 10 minute walk) and got things to make lunches in the room since that worked best for our stay.
We were very happy with the complimentary breakfast (served by Sunshine Grill) - it was a combination of hot foods (french toast, eggs, etc) and cereals, oatmeal, fresh fruit, muffins and toast. Plus juice and coffee. It was great and actually more food than we were expecting.
The pool is great and the grounds are very nice to sit and relax either in the chairs or hammocks. We couldn't be happier with our choice to stay here. It was everything we expected it to be and a really great deal.
A few things to note - there is no elevator, so be sure to ask for a ground level room if that is an issue. It is not beach front - this is not an issue at all because you have beach access but for some this may be an issue.
We would highly recommend Sunshine Suites!!

Room Tip: higher floors are a little quieter building on the left side (from the front office) are also quie...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed here for almost two weeks and had a really great experience. The staff was friendly and helpful, the pool was cool and clean, and the on site restaurant/bar had great food and drinks. We also enjoyed a complimentary breakfast every morning which made the trip more affordable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bristol, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The cleanest, friendliest, most convenient place we've ever stayed. Great amenities, right next to the beach. Not corroded, great pool and restaurant. Can't say enough good things. The room is the perfect size for a couple. Free chairs and beach towels every day. We have walked everywhere so far, the grocery store and restaurants. It's not crowded at all, so this is the perfect time to travel here. We can't wait to come back, and we still have 3 more days here!

Jackson Township, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at Sunshine Suites this past weekend, and for the most part I was happy with the experience. It's the off season right now, so while the price was a good deal, it's not like I couldn't have gotten something just as good (or close) elsewhere. Regardless, for the size, quality, and cleanliness of the room, I was happy with what I paid. Breakfast everyday at the on site restaurant was a nice touch, with different offerings each day I was there. It was a nice, relaxing way to start the day. I wish it ran a little longer than 9:30, but for something that is included, you can't really complain.

Speaking of the restaurant (called the Sunshine Grill) I grabbed dinner there and was very happy with my dish. Had the snapper reuben, which was a fun twist on a traditional sandwich. The servers were also really nice, and service was fast. Price wise it was about as good a deal as you would find on a sit down restaurant.

This isn't a beachfront property, but you are literally a three minute walk away, by simply going across the street. We went in front of the Westin (across the street) and thoroughly enjoyed the beach. You can also check out beach towels at the front desk, another nice amenity.

Now here is where I had a problem. And I know I'm on vacation, and some people will think this is minor. This is my first time on vacation in three years, because I have a very hands on business I own back in the states. If and when I leave, I need to be in constant contact with my numbers, my employees, day end stuff, etc. This is pretty easy to do assuming I have a good internet connection. I brought a laptop and phone, which are both Wifi enabled. When I checked in they told me the password, and I immediately logged on to get some stuff done before I left for some diving. NOTHING. I mean no service whatsoever. It was a "full strength" signal on both devices, yet I couldn't get into anything. I called the front desk, and she told me to restart my devices, which I did, and see if that fixed the problem. It didn't. I called back again, and they said they would have a look at it, but everything was supposedly working. I ended up trying to come to their little business office center which had two people on it both times I was there, so I ended up going to the little FroYo place in the plaza out front to use their Wifi. It worked perfectly, as did every other hot spot on the island. So, it's fairly apparent that it was their internet that was the problem.

Again, for most people, this isn't a big deal. For me however, I was trying to run business back home while on vacation, and having to sit in my hot car in a parking lot in front of a FroYo to do so was a little disappointing.

Overall, it was a good experience, but if you have to have internet to get things done, I would look somewhere else. If you don't need internet and want to turn everything off for a few days, this would certainly do the trick!

Room Tip: I was on an end cap, and the bed was in the back... looks like some were near the front windows...
Rockaway, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed at the Sunshine Suites for vacation and had a very good experience. The room was pretty nice, freshly painted and in good condition. The breakfast was included which definitely saved some money throughout the week, and it was way better than a typical continental breakfast. The Sunshine Grill has excellent food and service- we ate there a couple times for lunch as well. The hotel is great for the money and it is right across the street from beach access to seven mile beach. Grand Cayman itself was beautiful of course, the water was actually clearer than the pool and had no sea weed and the sand is not rocky or shelly. Overall we had a great time and would visit again. There are dozens of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and they are all delicious.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was the perfect hotel for my vacation. I stayed at Sunshine Suites with my boyfriend and it was great for us. The room was clean, a little tiny but we didnt need alot of space for the two of us. The kitchenette is a true plus as food cost is pretty high everywhere in the Cayman. From the time we arrived the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Offering to carry our luggage to the 3rd floor. We checked in the hotel on a Wednesday evening, everything was smooth. Process took at the most 5 minutes. Not much of a view if you are that kind of person. We stayed in Room 313 and we had a view of the parking lot mainly, if you walk around you could see the pool area. Not what I care to do on vacation so the views aren't overly important to me. They have a small business center and wifi in the rooms. Wifi isnt the greatest by far, but when you can connect its good for checking emails and updating social stats if you are looking to do so. They have satellite TV and get ALOT of USA stations. ESPN for the men, Lifetime for the women, VH1, cartoons, etc for the kids. That was helpful as the nightlife scene is kind of dry from what we expected. 3-5 minute walk across the street to SMB. Perfect location too! It seemed to be the best part of the beach. Sunshine provides beach chairs for you to take, but there are plenty on the other resorts that you can grab. Breakfast is enough to get by. Im VERY PICKY and limited on what I can eat so if I can make it anyone can. They offered cereal, fruit, oatmeal and toast everyday. They rotated other things like potatoes and pancakes. Its enough to get you through a couple of hours. We dined at the onsite restaurant it was fairly decent. I work in the food service industry so it was ok for what it offfers. I had the Chicken Tenders and my BF had the fish tacos...we both were satisfied. It was crowded but we sat at the bar and so our wait wasnt long. Even with a party of 20 and a full dining room, the staff was very helpful and attentive to us. The bartender made a awesome Pina Colada, hate that I cant recall her name. You have the option to carryout if the restaurant wait is too long you, so people that complain about that are just complainers! The atmosphere is awesome so people tend to hang around for awhile! Lotoya at the front desk ROCKED!! She provided us with great service for activities to do and getting our Taxi to the airport. Sunshine is Lucky to have her as an employee. Checkout was super simple. Those nice people even gave me 2 free local phone calls!!!
Best Tips: Take advantage of the two grocery stores within 8 minutes of walking distance. Our average food bill was $46 at the restaurants. We walked to Fosters grocery store, they had ample variety.
Bring your own Liquor (Up to 1 Liter for the hard stuff): I saw a 5th of Patron for $70
Bring OFF bug repellant...The mosquitos are fierce!!
Get PizzaHut to deliver..costs us about $25 (US) for Sm. Pizza, Wings, and Breadsticks. Beat paying $50 for 2 sandwiches and a cocktail.

Room Tip: Less traffic on the 3rd floor, no one wants to walk up the stairs
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunshine Suites Resort? Share your experiences!