“AWESOME” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunshine Suites Resort

Save Saved
You added Sunshine Suites Resort to your Saves list
Sunshine Suites Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1465 Esterley Tibbetts | Seven Mile Beach, Seven Mile Beach KY1-1201, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Bristol, Tennessee
“AWESOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The cleanest, friendliest, most convenient place we've ever stayed. Great amenities, right next to the beach. Not corroded, great pool and restaurant. Can't say enough good things. The room is the perfect size for a couple. Free chairs and beach towels every day. We have walked everywhere so far, the grocery store and restaurants. It's not crowded at all, so this is the perfect time to travel here. We can't wait to come back, and we still have 3 more days here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Jackson Township, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at Sunshine Suites this past weekend, and for the most part I was happy with the experience. It's the off season right now, so while the price was a good deal, it's not like I couldn't have gotten something just as good (or close) elsewhere. Regardless, for the size, quality, and cleanliness of the room, I was happy with what I paid. Breakfast everyday at the on site restaurant was a nice touch, with different offerings each day I was there. It was a nice, relaxing way to start the day. I wish it ran a little longer than 9:30, but for something that is included, you can't really complain.

Speaking of the restaurant (called the Sunshine Grill) I grabbed dinner there and was very happy with my dish. Had the snapper reuben, which was a fun twist on a traditional sandwich. The servers were also really nice, and service was fast. Price wise it was about as good a deal as you would find on a sit down restaurant.

This isn't a beachfront property, but you are literally a three minute walk away, by simply going across the street. We went in front of the Westin (across the street) and thoroughly enjoyed the beach. You can also check out beach towels at the front desk, another nice amenity.

Now here is where I had a problem. And I know I'm on vacation, and some people will think this is minor. This is my first time on vacation in three years, because I have a very hands on business I own back in the states. If and when I leave, I need to be in constant contact with my numbers, my employees, day end stuff, etc. This is pretty easy to do assuming I have a good internet connection. I brought a laptop and phone, which are both Wifi enabled. When I checked in they told me the password, and I immediately logged on to get some stuff done before I left for some diving. NOTHING. I mean no service whatsoever. It was a "full strength" signal on both devices, yet I couldn't get into anything. I called the front desk, and she told me to restart my devices, which I did, and see if that fixed the problem. It didn't. I called back again, and they said they would have a look at it, but everything was supposedly working. I ended up trying to come to their little business office center which had two people on it both times I was there, so I ended up going to the little FroYo place in the plaza out front to use their Wifi. It worked perfectly, as did every other hot spot on the island. So, it's fairly apparent that it was their internet that was the problem.

Again, for most people, this isn't a big deal. For me however, I was trying to run business back home while on vacation, and having to sit in my hot car in a parking lot in front of a FroYo to do so was a little disappointing.

Overall, it was a good experience, but if you have to have internet to get things done, I would look somewhere else. If you don't need internet and want to turn everything off for a few days, this would certainly do the trick!

Room Tip: I was on an end cap, and the bed was in the back... looks like some were near the front windows...
Rockaway, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed at the Sunshine Suites for vacation and had a very good experience. The room was pretty nice, freshly painted and in good condition. The breakfast was included which definitely saved some money throughout the week, and it was way better than a typical continental breakfast. The Sunshine Grill has excellent food and service- we ate there a couple times for lunch as well. The hotel is great for the money and it is right across the street from beach access to seven mile beach. Grand Cayman itself was beautiful of course, the water was actually clearer than the pool and had no sea weed and the sand is not rocky or shelly. Overall we had a great time and would visit again. There are dozens of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and they are all delicious.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was the perfect hotel for my vacation. I stayed at Sunshine Suites with my boyfriend and it was great for us. The room was clean, a little tiny but we didnt need alot of space for the two of us. The kitchenette is a true plus as food cost is pretty high everywhere in the Cayman. From the time we arrived the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Offering to carry our luggage to the 3rd floor. We checked in the hotel on a Wednesday evening, everything was smooth. Process took at the most 5 minutes. Not much of a view if you are that kind of person. We stayed in Room 313 and we had a view of the parking lot mainly, if you walk around you could see the pool area. Not what I care to do on vacation so the views aren't overly important to me. They have a small business center and wifi in the rooms. Wifi isnt the greatest by far, but when you can connect its good for checking emails and updating social stats if you are looking to do so. They have satellite TV and get ALOT of USA stations. ESPN for the men, Lifetime for the women, VH1, cartoons, etc for the kids. That was helpful as the nightlife scene is kind of dry from what we expected. 3-5 minute walk across the street to SMB. Perfect location too! It seemed to be the best part of the beach. Sunshine provides beach chairs for you to take, but there are plenty on the other resorts that you can grab. Breakfast is enough to get by. Im VERY PICKY and limited on what I can eat so if I can make it anyone can. They offered cereal, fruit, oatmeal and toast everyday. They rotated other things like potatoes and pancakes. Its enough to get you through a couple of hours. We dined at the onsite restaurant it was fairly decent. I work in the food service industry so it was ok for what it offfers. I had the Chicken Tenders and my BF had the fish tacos...we both were satisfied. It was crowded but we sat at the bar and so our wait wasnt long. Even with a party of 20 and a full dining room, the staff was very helpful and attentive to us. The bartender made a awesome Pina Colada, hate that I cant recall her name. You have the option to carryout if the restaurant wait is too long you, so people that complain about that are just complainers! The atmosphere is awesome so people tend to hang around for awhile! Lotoya at the front desk ROCKED!! She provided us with great service for activities to do and getting our Taxi to the airport. Sunshine is Lucky to have her as an employee. Checkout was super simple. Those nice people even gave me 2 free local phone calls!!!
Best Tips: Take advantage of the two grocery stores within 8 minutes of walking distance. Our average food bill was $46 at the restaurants. We walked to Fosters grocery store, they had ample variety.
Bring your own Liquor (Up to 1 Liter for the hard stuff): I saw a 5th of Patron for $70
Bring OFF bug repellant...The mosquitos are fierce!!
Get PizzaHut to deliver..costs us about $25 (US) for Sm. Pizza, Wings, and Breadsticks. Beat paying $50 for 2 sandwiches and a cocktail.

Room Tip: Less traffic on the 3rd floor, no one wants to walk up the stairs
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This hotel is not for the business traveller. The internet is weak and unreliable and does not support VPN. Additionally, there is no room service and the restaurant has a maximum capacity of no more than 20 people so there is always a long wait. If you need to stay 1 min after checkout time, be prepared to be hassled by the unfriendly staff at the front desk.
Great for a family looking for cheap accommodations but be prepared to carry your beach chairs a block or more to the beach .
Will never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This property is a great place for your stay in Grand Cayman. It represents a very sensible choice for both a vacation or work, as it offers good value for money. In this review I will briefly go over location, rooms and service in turn.

Location is perfect, just across the street from one of the nicest sections of Seven Mile beach. Walking to the beach will take you about 5 minutes, and the hotel provides beach chairs and towels which you can take with you. Unless you have small kids or are really lazy, this is a great way to enjoy the beach. You cannot have the resort experience, with waiters serving you frozen $20 pina coladas on the beach, but for that there is the Ritz across the street. The pool of the hotel is ok, but I honestly did not care since swimming in the ocean in Seven Miles is better than any pool anyway. The island is small, and driving anywhere will take a short time.

The rooms are very comfortable, if not particularly luxurious or chic. No room has sea view. Beds are large and very nice; bathrooms are ok. Mine was quite large but a bit musty. The kitchenette is essential but there's anything you might need in case you want to eat in (aside: eating on the island is expensive and often not that great. Best meals are jerk chicken from bbqs on the beach - the closest to the hotel is in public beach- and fresh pan fried chicken from a small restaurant on the beach in west bay). The restaurant of the hotel is a good option for meals; keep in mind that guests of the hotel have no priority, and you might have to wait for a while as it often gets very busy. They do offer a takeout option, which comes handy if you want to eat in the room, but only when they are not too busy. They do not accomodate flexible take-out orders, that is you cannot order take out in advance.

Service was good throughout. Receptionists were very kind, and were helpful in many instances, namely in booking activities on the island. Cleaning was thorough. The hotel offers no gym of its own, but it does provide free access to a gym a few minutes away by car.

Room Tip: No elevator to get to rooms on higher floors; no sea-view rooms in this property.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The rooms are on the basic side but freshly painted and clean and comfortable. Most importantly the bed itself is very comfortable. There is a modest kitchen and a large fridge in the room. Oddly there is an oversized bedside table on one side of the bed and then just a skinny gap to the wall on the other side of the bed. The hotel must be well constructed for soundprooffing as it was full with different wedding guests during over 5 night stay and we didn't hear any noise from adjoining rooms or the rooms above. The hotel's common areas are very well maintained and Paco the handsome black housecat adds to the appeal. You can relax under a tree in the gardens to read a book if you don't want to sit by the pool itself. The hotel is in a good location, in the centre of Seven Mile Beach, and a short walk to the inviting sandy beach. You can take light deck chairs from Sunshine to the beach and if you want shade, you can go a further 2 minutes up the beach to the Governor's House. There are a few restaurants and a bottle shop next to the hotel or otherwise it's a 10 minute walk to a larger shopping centre and more restaurants. A light breakfast is included in the room rate and it is okay. The office reception desk had friendly staff although they didn't seem especially informative. The Sunshine Grille restaurant attached to the hotel was pumping every night as it has delicious food and cocktails at reasonable prices. If you can get a poolside table, it is a very pleasant setting for dinner. There are no safes in the room; just a few at the reception desk, and these were all in use, which was a pain. There is complimentary use of the World Gym, which is a great gym, but it's 40 minutes walk away. There are rental bikes but like the safes, there were all already in use. The local buses are plentiful and great; mini vans marked 1 or 2, and they stop wherever you want and cost $2 so it's not hard to get around. You could spend a lot of money at the next door Westin and be right on the beach, but if you want to stretch your holiday dollars, then the Sunshine Suites are recommended for a pleasant stay. The Caymans itself was a great experience with the beautiful beach and reef and lovely people and a safe, relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunshine Suites Resort? Share your experiences!