“Great value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunshine Suites Resort

You added Sunshine Suites Resort to your Saves list
Sunshine Suites Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1465 Esterley Tibbetts | Seven Mile Beach, Seven Mile Beach KY1-1201, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
35% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Mechanicville, New York
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Third trip to Grand Cayman and third stay at the Sunshine Suites. Great place to stay for a very reasonable price. Just across the street from the seven mile beach. ( this may be a concern for families with small children) . The hotel provides beach towels , chairs and they also keep a few beach umbrellas on hand ( bequeathed to them by previous guests) which they will also give out on a first come first serve basis. Rooms are clean and well maintained.A more than adequate breakfast is included with the room and the Sunshine Grill is a great spot for lunch or dinner( with a complimentary mini ice cream cone for dessert). The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating . Bike rental available on site, which proved to be a fun way to see Georgetown. All and all a great value for your dollar. If you travel to Grand Cayman to swim in a pool,this place isn't for you, as the pool is small and could use some updating and some of the tables are designated for outdoor dining for the Sunshine Grill. But then again who goes to Grand Cayman to sit at a pool?????

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Farivew, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

During my first trip to Grand Cayman I stayed at a hotel on the beach but when I checked the prices for my January trip, the room rate had more than tripled! On recommendation I booked at The Sunshine Suites. I was nervous because I knew I would need to cross the street to go to the beach and because I thought that "self catering" meant no room service! The moment I drove up to the property I was enthralled! The grounds were lovely and just what I would imagine for a tropical retreat. A wonderful maid came every day to "do" the room. The room with kitchenette was very nice. The restaurant on the property is excellent! All the hotel and restaurant staff were so friendly and soon called me by name! I would definitely come again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Oakville, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in February for 7 nights in a room with a kitchen on the main floor. The room was a good size, clean, and quiet. We left a tip everyday and always returned to a clean room with the dishes done. The sunshine grill is outstanding for lunch and dinner! I have absolutely no complaints about the hotel. For the price, it was exactly what we were looking for. My only warning is about crossing the road. It is busy and a bit of a trek to the beach with beach bag and chair. I'd stay again though despite this walk.

Stayed February 2013
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had the pleasure of booking a last minute trip to GC and stay at the Sunshine Suites Hotel. I was a little hesistant just because the pricing seemed too good to be true. But I valued the previous reports on here and decided to book.

The accomodations are spotless. The rooms were clean as clean could be. You have a fridge that you can stock with snacks, drinks, etc and there is a liquor store next to the hotel. You can take a small cooler across and have your own cocktails without all the overhead of a major resort. Believe me, I am not cheap. I have stayed at the nicest places in the world, but why would I pay $800 a night when you can pay for the same beach, make your own drinks, same everything for 1/4 of the price. Breakfast is included and they have complimentary shuttles to Georgetown a couple of days a week.

The hotel is 500 yards from the beach, if that. You have access to chairs to carry across the way and most of the time there are umbrellas that people give away as they depart. But even so, you can go to Cost U Less and buy one for $20 USD. And you are sandwiched in between the Ritz Carlton and The Westin. So the beach is the same pristine water they have access to.

The Sunshine Grill was my favorite place to go. The food was impeccable and reasonable. The drinks were awesome and the staff was the best. They were very customer service oriented and all knew my name by the 2nd day. The fish tacos were my favorite and The Painkiller drink was very refreshing. The hamburgers were huge to say the least but looked very tastey! At the end of the meal, they would bring you a mini ice cream cone and it was the perfect ending to a good meal.

This hotel signifies value and customer service across the board. I will never stay anywhere else in GC. Props to Sunshine Suites for a relaxing and memorable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at the Sunshine Suites Resort in late February/early March 2013 and had a wonderful time. The property is very well-maintained, the rooms clean, and the staff was very responsive and helpful. We especially liked the size of the hotel, as it was not as overwhelming as the huge properties ligned up on the beach; it has more of a private feel to it. The setup is open, like a motel, and the garden surrounding the buildings is beautiful, with lawns like on a putting green. It was our first real vacation with our one-year-old, and the room suited our needs perfectly with enough space to put the travel bed, and it also had a little kitchen area. The restaurant is well-known on the island and serves delicious tacos. The manager accommodated us whenever we needed a table, which was wonderful! The only thing that wasn't perfect was the need to cross a busy street to get to the beach, but then, this place is also more affordable than the other hotels on the island. We want to be back soon!

Room Tip: A room with a kitchen area helps you save some money on dining...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I spent a week here with another couple at the end of February. We arrived late Sunday afternoon - I had emailed them a couple of days earlier asking for a dinner reservation that evening at the Sunshine Grill. Never got a response (even though I had e-mailed twice) yet when we arrived we had the reservation so all was okay.

Somewhere I had read that if you don’t mind walking up a few flights of stairs the rooms on the third floor (top) were better located for some reason. Don’t remember now what the rationale was but that is what we asked for and received. We were on the back side of the building overlooking both a parking lot and the bypass highway so no interesting view to speak of. But then, this is not really a place that comes with views. Our friends were on the ground floor and on the other side of the building so they could walk right out and within a few feet be sitting on the grass. A much more pleasant place to be.

As others have said, the grounds are immaculate and well looked after – lots of people sitting in adirondack chairs or beach chairs reading, etc. We never used the pool so I can’t comment on it.

Our room was plenty big for 2 people – I won’t bother listing all that it comes with as many other reviewers have done so. Bathroom was stocked with soap as well as little bottles of shampoo and conditioner. However, since we use our own I don’t know whether or not they replenish them during your stay – but I would assume so. They do replenish the coffee, sugar and coffeemate packets daily.

The only thing I missed having in the room was a safe. There were a number of safety deposit boxes behind the front desk but on arrival there were 9 people on the waiting list for one so we didn’t bother.

As others have reported, the place is not on the beach. The resort is not even just on the other side of the road from the beach. It is across the road and down a bit of a driveway past other buildings. Beach access path is right across the road from the driveway but it is still a bit of a hike to get from your room to the beach – I felt like a pack-horse every morning lugging all our stuff down! We’re more used to places right on the beach which have easier access to our room during the day. But, still it didn’t kill us and this would not stop me from returning to this place.

The buffet breakfast at the resort was fine – sort of an upgraded continental breakfast. The usual coffee, tea, juices, cereals, toast, small muffins, yogurt. Oatmeal each morning; a fresh fruit of some sort each day, some style of egg each day – scrambled, hard-boiled, in a sauce, etc. Pancakes sometimes, French toast. We never had any difficulty finding enough to eat. Ate dinner there twice – I’ll review that separately in the restaurant section, but both times were good.

Right at the end of the resort’s driveway is a small strip mall which you walk past to get to the beach – includes a liquor store, Captain Marvin’s, Eats Café, Legendz Bar & Grill, Yoshi Sushi restaurant and a few other businesses. Liquor store is really handy! Capt Marvin’s was also handy – we took them for the stingray/snorkel tour. They open relatively early and have a small convenience-type store there as well – cold drinks, water, chips, snacks, etc. We had dinner once at each of Eats Café and Yoshi Sushi – reviewed separately - both good.

Rented a car for 2 days so we got an opportunity to see other parts of the island and other places to snorkel. Glad we did this.

If we were to return to Grand Cayman and wanted to say on Seven Mile Beach I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Durham, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The Sunshine Suites Resort was decent, clean and provides good value.. but not great. We had two rooms; one room for my wife and I and the other room for our children (17, 21). Our rooms were located on the ground floor which was nice. It was a little noisy (AC/Lawn cutting). It's a plus to have the Sunshine Grill only yards away. We ate at the grill for the delicious continental breakfasts. We had trouble getting a seat for dinner (the first two nights) because the Grill is always standing room only at night (with a minimum of 1 hour wait after 6-7pm). We did do "take out" one night and tried the fish tacos, which were "zesty" and lived up to their reputation as best on the island. The staff were very pleasant and always smiling. We would not likely come back to the Sunshine Suites, but instead stay on the East End (Reef) or Rum Point (long ride from airport but one of the nicest parts of the island).

Recommend renting a car. We drove all over the island, and it really made our trip. Seven Mile Beach was nice, but nothing like the little beaches scattered all over the islands (e.g., Spotts, Rum Point)... We did walk to Seven Mile Beach a couple of times, and the walk was adventurous at best, if not out right dangerous. Someone described it as "Frogger", which was pretty accurate.

If you are looking for a good, reasonable prices and happy staff "base camp" for your trip to Grand Cayman, Sunshine is a decent place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sunshine Suites Resort? Share your experiences!