“Too expensive compared to what they have offered!!” 3 of 5 stars

Treasure Island Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   269 West Bay Road, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman   |
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Nicosia, Cyprus
“Too expensive compared to what they have offered!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three days. Overall the hotel was okay and especially as compared with other extremely expensive hotels on the Island. However, when I think of the price we paid and the service we received I would say it wasn't worth it. The Pool was always dirty and occupied by the students who were getting dive lessons. Most importantly, we had to make an urgent international call and they did not let us do so even though we were willing to pay for it. We lost hours to look for a place where we could make an internationa call. The hotel offered us nothing apart from a room for sleeping. Basicly, we chose to stay there because it was the cheapest option.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have been blessed to travel and stayed in many places in world. This is the absolute worse experience I have ever had in my life. The hotel staff was so nonchalant and rude beyond words. If it could go wrong it did. First the description of the room and what we got were two different things. This hotel has not been upgraded since the 70s. The first day when we got in the room it was ice cold and no way to turn down or cut off the thermostat. We called and complained about this and was told their are no more rooms at the moment and maintenance was on the way. It was raining when we were there and the walls and roof were leaking and the entire floors were covered in water. We had to pull up our pants and walk gingerly to not fall. The next night the same room that they never got us out of - when I went to the restroom in the middle of the night - I stepped in an inch of water all over the floor. Shoes and a bag of papers totally wet. Complained and asked to be moved. Instead they sent maintenance. It was the worse, worse experience of my life. Inside the hotel rooms you could only use it to call land lines. Who in the world only use land lines. So we had to walk downstairs to ask the rude front desk clerks to use the phone. They would have you stand their waiting as they finished their gossiping and talking. Then appear totally annoyed. Would not hand you the phone but ask for the number. You were barely on the phone before they rudely asked that you get off the phone - even with another one sitting right on the desk. Another thing is that this hotel is in such bad shape it's a long term residence for locals. So outside some room garbage cans and bikes chained up. Just awful!

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE! Run, don't walk, run from this place.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

the hotel staff (locals) are great to work with-- but the owner/ management is all about taking money from customers and offering limited service. got a call on Saturday morning of my two week stay and was told I had to move to another room on the other side of the hotel where the locals rent rooms for less than 1,000 per month. --what a slum. Yesterday local hoodlums in the pool and security says nothing.

Am moving out tomorrow to another hotel -- at least it will be clean and local workers don't live there.

Do not stay here --motel 6 is the Ritz.

PS if it rains the hotel rooms on the 5th floor get flooded --the hotel should be torn down.

1/2 the pictures on the website are (billybones) and another resort between treasure island and the ocean, and you are not allowed to go there. Buyer beware --ok run away

Room Tip: Laugh --there is no helpful room tips pools dirty and hotub --cold--
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My experience at this hotel was the worst experience I ever had. They were roaches in my hotel room. WEED buds, cigarettes buds and ashes all over the floor in the lobby. The floor where sticky, the elevator is dirty, it smelled horrible, and hot. I took the stairs the whole time I was there because of this. They didn't have beach towel to give you when you needed them. Random people will come in at night. I was sleeping one night my daughter was downstairs and two men of off the street came to my room looking for a party, that someone was having at the hotel this is more like a motel. THEY RENT OUT ROOMS TO THE LOCATES FOR MONTHS LIKE AN APPARTMENT!!!!!!!. ITS NOT SAFE FOR YOUR KIDS IF THEY WANT TO GO DOWNSTAIRS TO GET WIFI because, people from the streets will come in and sit down get drunk smoke and do what they feel like. Wifi is not proved in your rooms. So I'm giving all of you heads up that it is one of the WORST HOTEL/MOTEL ON THE ISLAND. I would know this because, I lived there for many years and I now live in New York and I go back every summer to different hotel and this is the WORST I HAVE COME ACROSS.

Room Tip: Make sure your beds are clean my plow had a pee stain. CHECK EVERYTHING
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

ok here the real deal about this place before I left I look at the hotel and it got really bad reviews so I went and stayed their well let me tell you I was expecting the worse after the flight and airport I arrived at the hotel check in was easy the lady was nice the lobble was empty so I went to my room no bell hop in sight when I got to my room its a tap key when the door open it was a smell of freshness the room was clean had 2 bed nice bathroom with towels everything was well clean but no coffie maker but it had a refrige\micwave in it the place had 2 large pools one with swmmup bar
\

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Blagnac, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

well rather difficult to put a note
this hotel provides a lot of surprises
it's huge, but at the same time, there are many people living here (sometimes since many years)
so, the crowd is a mix of tourists lost in translation and unfortunate locals unable to rent a flat ?

Advantages :
*****************
- big room with kitchen
- I appreciate the fresh air (climatiseur)
- internet connection directly w/ cable in rooms
- washing machine downstairs
- a store to get some foods at an expensive price
- great swimming pool

Bad points
- creepy, the whole building is tired and noisy
- no breakfast
- no coffemaker
- no hair dryer (but it's a cheap hotel)

I had to take an extra night. at the beginning, they asked me 120$, but after discussion they agree for 100$

I dunno really what to think about this hotel. It's ok for students, not for couples or seniors

If I could find a next time another hotel, I will make the try

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights since I arrived in the Caymans earlier than originally anticipated and my original hotel was booked and could not accommodate my earlier arrival and here is what i noticed.

I have to agree with certain points of other reviewers. This hotel does appear dreary and could do with some renovations to brighten up the place. Start with new paint job... It goes a long way. The lobby was a welcoming sight. It is open air and with guests at the nearby hotel bar & other guests playing pool the sight looked quite lively; so much so you might want to join in the fun.

My flight was delayed so I arrived at 12 midnight and when I arrived the front desk was closed (bad thing). One of several security guards gave me my key. I asked where the room was expecting to be led to the room. Instead he pointed in the direction of the elevator and gave me some directions and I made my own way up. The way to my room looked like a dark alley way where i might get mugged. The lighting was poor and non-existent in some areas and it just felt run down. Even the sight of the door didn't make it better... it was painted a dark brown and looked old with a dusty old looking numbers sign. The card access mechanism on the door handle also looked dusty. I guess that is the result of being exposed to the elements?

The daytime lobby staff were very courteous and helpful and asked me more than once if I needed help in getting anything like a taxi and recommended me to various places where I could get a decent meal. Top notch lobby staff... too bad I am not good with names but they (the staff) were all nice. They made sure that i had nothing bad to say about them... lol Even the housekeeping lady was nice. :)

I felt secure in the room as there was card access from the outside but once inside there is a "privacy" bolt that opens only from the inside.

The room was clean and so were the sheets I know since my skin is sensitive and I had a decent night's sleep In spite of the loud folks at the bar downstairs. The bed was comfortable and I didn't wake up at all even after my alarm on the phone went off... There is no iron or ironing board and the safe was literally broken and unusable.

The bathroom was "adequate". It doesn't have many of the amenities of more expensive hotels like a hair dryer but it is clean and you get some small toiletries like soap and shampoo etc. and several clean towels of varied sizes... The lighting in the room is also adequate. Gives a soft glow to everything. It was on when I arrived (good call).

There is kitchenette as seen in the pictures. With some cutlery and plates... But no saucepans or pots if you wanted to make a real meal. There is a small fridge to chill your drinks. There is no coffee maker or toaster. But the counters were spotless.... there is an ice machine nearby if needed.

It is near s.m.b but it never claimed to be beachfront and you can get to it by going down the several public pathways and roadways that branch off along West Bay Road that pass by other hotels. If you want beachfront pay for it in my opinion... I must say however that they should stop advertising "ocean view" suites there is not much ocean to see.

The balcony had 2 old looking plastic chairs that were comfortable enough when i sat down to read my novel with a similar looking coffee table to rest down a drink... i decided against using the coffee table (or maybe it was a footrest? couldn't tell). The balcony itself looked old, dusty and tired as well. Could do will some paint and sweeping/mopping.

The pool area is very nice though. You also have a nice small flat screen tv which has HDMI ports if you wanted to hook up your laptop to it. With a wired cable (internet) modem nearby. I didn't try the wifi.

Overall... I believe that if you manage your expectations (a little lower) you will find that nothing is really WRONG with the hotel per se besides looking somewhat dated, old & rundown. If you want lots of "little extras" and better appointed rooms then yes you should go elsewhere and pay extra for that. What you get here is a pretty basic, clean room and a bed (or two) for less than 150 USD with some basic amenities like cable tv, internet and kitchenette to do some minor preparation of food. The website is very clear on what is offered so you have to manage your expectations if you are going to stay here.

As for a recommendation? It worked for me (I'm easy) but it might not work for others. I will come again if I wanted a bargain room on Seven Mile Beach. The staff alone is something to come back for and you get the what i considered necessities.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Treasure Island Resort? Share your experiences!