“quite average,” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Blagnac, France
“quite average,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

well rather difficult to put a note
this hotel provides a lot of surprises
it's huge, but at the same time, there are many people living here (sometimes since many years)
so, the crowd is a mix of tourists lost in translation and unfortunate locals unable to rent a flat ?

Advantages :
*****************
- big room with kitchen
- I appreciate the fresh air (climatiseur)
- internet connection directly w/ cable in rooms
- washing machine downstairs
- a store to get some foods at an expensive price
- great swimming pool

Bad points
- creepy, the whole building is tired and noisy
- no breakfast
- no coffemaker
- no hair dryer (but it's a cheap hotel)

I had to take an extra night. at the beginning, they asked me 120$, but after discussion they agree for 100$

I dunno really what to think about this hotel. It's ok for students, not for couples or seniors

If I could find a next time another hotel, I will make the try

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights since I arrived in the Caymans earlier than originally anticipated and my original hotel was booked and could not accommodate my earlier arrival and here is what i noticed.

I have to agree with certain points of other reviewers. This hotel does appear dreary and could do with some renovations to brighten up the place. Start with new paint job... It goes a long way. The lobby was a welcoming sight. It is open air and with guests at the nearby hotel bar & other guests playing pool the sight looked quite lively; so much so you might want to join in the fun.

My flight was delayed so I arrived at 12 midnight and when I arrived the front desk was closed (bad thing). One of several security guards gave me my key. I asked where the room was expecting to be led to the room. Instead he pointed in the direction of the elevator and gave me some directions and I made my own way up. The way to my room looked like a dark alley way where i might get mugged. The lighting was poor and non-existent in some areas and it just felt run down. Even the sight of the door didn't make it better... it was painted a dark brown and looked old with a dusty old looking numbers sign. The card access mechanism on the door handle also looked dusty. I guess that is the result of being exposed to the elements?

The daytime lobby staff were very courteous and helpful and asked me more than once if I needed help in getting anything like a taxi and recommended me to various places where I could get a decent meal. Top notch lobby staff... too bad I am not good with names but they (the staff) were all nice. They made sure that i had nothing bad to say about them... lol Even the housekeeping lady was nice. :)

I felt secure in the room as there was card access from the outside but once inside there is a "privacy" bolt that opens only from the inside.

The room was clean and so were the sheets I know since my skin is sensitive and I had a decent night's sleep In spite of the loud folks at the bar downstairs. The bed was comfortable and I didn't wake up at all even after my alarm on the phone went off... There is no iron or ironing board and the safe was literally broken and unusable.

The bathroom was "adequate". It doesn't have many of the amenities of more expensive hotels like a hair dryer but it is clean and you get some small toiletries like soap and shampoo etc. and several clean towels of varied sizes... The lighting in the room is also adequate. Gives a soft glow to everything. It was on when I arrived (good call).

There is kitchenette as seen in the pictures. With some cutlery and plates... But no saucepans or pots if you wanted to make a real meal. There is a small fridge to chill your drinks. There is no coffee maker or toaster. But the counters were spotless.... there is an ice machine nearby if needed.

It is near s.m.b but it never claimed to be beachfront and you can get to it by going down the several public pathways and roadways that branch off along West Bay Road that pass by other hotels. If you want beachfront pay for it in my opinion... I must say however that they should stop advertising "ocean view" suites there is not much ocean to see.

The balcony had 2 old looking plastic chairs that were comfortable enough when i sat down to read my novel with a similar looking coffee table to rest down a drink... i decided against using the coffee table (or maybe it was a footrest? couldn't tell). The balcony itself looked old, dusty and tired as well. Could do will some paint and sweeping/mopping.

The pool area is very nice though. You also have a nice small flat screen tv which has HDMI ports if you wanted to hook up your laptop to it. With a wired cable (internet) modem nearby. I didn't try the wifi.

Overall... I believe that if you manage your expectations (a little lower) you will find that nothing is really WRONG with the hotel per se besides looking somewhat dated, old & rundown. If you want lots of "little extras" and better appointed rooms then yes you should go elsewhere and pay extra for that. What you get here is a pretty basic, clean room and a bed (or two) for less than 150 USD with some basic amenities like cable tv, internet and kitchenette to do some minor preparation of food. The website is very clear on what is offered so you have to manage your expectations if you are going to stay here.

As for a recommendation? It worked for me (I'm easy) but it might not work for others. I will come again if I wanted a bargain room on Seven Mile Beach. The staff alone is something to come back for and you get the what i considered necessities.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

drab, dreary , institutional ,creepy , tired, really tired. no hand or face towels. place was not very clean. phone did not work. surprising was a nice cake of soap. pool bar in the back , which might belong to another resort was good. pool was good . I would never recommend this to anyone I liked. there are lots of places along s.m.b. to stay at , if they cost a little more they are worth it.

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Whiteville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Was planning to stay in Grand Cayman for a month so, I wanted to save money. This place was cheap so, I decided to give it a try. Wrong decision! Got there and was told I was on "extended stay" so, there will be no towels provided. No coffee maker, no hair dryer, no internet, no iron. Just one spoon and a fork! lol...The laundry room was a joke! Half the washers and dryers didn't work. And, the place was flooded. Stayed 2 days and high tailed it out of there! Lost the deposit. Went to sunshine suites and that is where I am staying now. Love it here! Gave me a great rate. They provide an iron, ironing board, coffee maker, a two burner stove, forks and spoons, a toaster, internet service, full size fridge, daily maid service, towels, etc....... its perfect!

Room Tip: Don't waste your time or money! Look somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I agree with the poor ratings for this hotel. The staff are either rude or non-existent. It feels like you are staying at a hotel in the ghetto.... Meaning, everything is dirty, I'm pretty sure the sheets were used. There appears to be locals just living there, and it's pretty sketchy. The hotel is NOT on the beach. You have to walk through other hotels, condos to get to the beach. But the beach in this area is more like going to South Padre Island in Texas. Go find other beaches and other areas. We stayed on the east side and it was SUPER nice and relaxing and I guarantee that it is just as affordable, but WAY better of an experience in Grand Cayman. Even if you need to stay here for one night, it would completely destroy your nice view of the Caymans, so DO NOT stay here!! A little extra money goes a long way (clean sheets, clean room, secure feeling, etc.).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Place is a little aged but we had a kitchen, confortable beds and a decent view of the pool although it was supposed to be an ocean view room. You can see the ocean but its by no means a view. Staff is adimant about the check in time so don't show before the designated time or you will just have to waste time.

• Stayed June 2013
Chesterton, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

After seeing many bad reviews for this hotel, I was a bit concerned at first. But, the hotel is in a perfect location on Seven Mile beach and very reasonable where you can catch a bus to almost anywhere, any time during the day. It is very close and within walking distance to most places. The beach is not bad, it is decent for snorkeling but not too good for swimming (water shoes or surf socks recommended) as there is mostly a rocky bottom (sand on left side) which have a lot of sea urchins. The beach is clean and is great for watching sunsets. We did not have a phone the whole week we were there as the hotel was waiting for a part to fix the phone system that accidentally got shipped to St Louis. Also you will need to bring an alarm clock also since there are just wake up calls and of course if the phone is down that is not going to happen. Fortunately, we did not have to get up early on any day. We were told that the owners of the resort (not the staff)did not want this to be a hotel but an extended stay facility. The hotel has deteriorated because of this, the long stay tenants were nice and there were no problems. Security is great, we both felt safe because there was always a presence. Forget about printing your boarding passes here, they said they would print them if you would email them to the front desk provided you had your laptop or iphone which we did not. We were resourceful and printed our boarding passes at the Marriott when we booked our parasailing with Red Sail Sports and asked and they said it would be OK. Our room was clean and everything was the way it was supposed to be and our maid came every day. All in all not a bad place to stay, the money you save can be used elsewhere. As long as you are not going to spend a lot of time in the hotel, this is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: We actually ended up in a room with a garden view, but you can still see the sea from your room. The...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
5.0 of 5 stars 464 reviews
Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort
Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Reso...
#3 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 3,455 reviews
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,246 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman

Been to Treasure Island Resort? Share your experiences!