“relaxing, best beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa

You added The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 30620, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman (Formerly Westin Casuarina)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Houston, Texas
“relaxing, best beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I spent 6 days on the island. We got a room on the first flor which proved to be the best as far as convenience. The view did not matter to me because we were near the hot tub and all we had to do was open our door and walk right out if we wanted. No waiting for elevators!! We didn't book any activities with Red Sail because what
they offered was double the cost of Capt Marvin's which is across the street. We booked a trip to Sting Ray City with them 40 each. we also went to the Marriot on Wednesday for the all you can eat lobster. I noticed our beach access and location was much better at the Westin. our room had a fridge which came in handy and the maid stocks it with 2 free water everyday. We went to the grocery store down the street and stocked up on large waters and juice. The prices are all 20 higher in cayman dollars. I do not know why people complained about the shower or water in the hotel...any country or city you go will have a different taste and I did not go on vacation to get upset over a showered. I spent most of the days in the water snorkeling, eating, and visiting Rum appoint. If you are looking for perfection you won't find it. My bed was comfortable and we never heard noise except one night around 10pm when they were playing tropical music by the pool. Glad I chose the Westin! Best price and location. I can't comment on the breakfast because across the street eats cafe has huge portions and we went everyday!

Room Tip: get a room on the first floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinGrandCayman, General Manager at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa for your recent stay in the Cayman Islands. It truly delights us to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our beach location and price point to be so great. Please visit us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed for a week at the Westin Grand Cayman and had a fabulous time, hotel was great, perfect beach with lots of things to do on the beach with Red Sail Sports. Location is central to everything about a 5 mile cab ride down to Georgetown, and the same to the West Bay. Great pool with amazing service. The Concierge service there is also top notch, each night we would ask them suggestions on places to eat and they never let us down. If your planning a trip to Grand Cayman dont hesitate staying at this place, its worth it

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
It is wonderful to hear that you had such a fabulous time while staying with us in Grand Cayman. The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa is located on one of the best sections of the beach and as you mentioned, Red Sail Sports, Grand Cayman's premier dive operator, is on site and offers guests with a wide variety of watersport activities to take part in. Thank you for all your lovely comments and praise for our staff. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 6 nights in early May. This is not as high end as some Westin hotels can be, but has all you need. Our room was very quiet and had a great view of the beach. My only complaint about the rooms is that the pillows are really soft. We eventually got used to them. The hotel staff were really friendly.

Location was great. There are several good restaurants within walking distance including Eats/Legendz across the street, Eduardo's is good Italian and a 5 minute walk. Sunshine Grill is also across the street and very good. There's also a grocery store about a 5-7 minute walk away and a small fridge in your room. We felt very safe walking to restaurants, etc.

The beach was clean and the water calm (<1ft waves). The water was beautifully clear. There was an area to snorkel about 40 yards from the hotel. you could also rent jetskis, snorkel gear, paddle boards, rafts, and more right at the hotel. This is one of the wider sections of 7 mile beach and we heard there was a lot if seaweed in other areas, like by the Marriott. There are not enough beach umbrellas for guests (they are free, versus $150+ for a cabana). However, you can make do by staying up by the pool (a few steps to the beach) or staying under trees.

The pool was a good temperature (cool but not cold) and a good size. Ocean temp was a tiny bit warmer than the pool. We didn't use hot tubs, but there were 2.

Other than the Ritz, this seems to be the best major brand hotel for location and quality. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa is located on the world renowned Seven Mile Beach; providing our guests with a little slice of paradise. We were delighted to learn that the accommodations, the view and the service provided by our hotel all met your needs. We hope to welcome you and your husband back again soon.
Vancouver, British Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

After seeing the latest review i have to chime in here. We too were given a partial ocean view room even though we paid for a full ocean view. We arrrived early - around 11 am and by the time the room was available at 3pm we were so tired (from sitting out in the heat all day) that we didin't have the strength to go back downstairs to complain - nor did they reduce the room rate on our bill to a partial ocean view. I have to say that we stayed at the Marriott first for 3 days becuase the Westin was fully booked at the start of our stay on Grand Cayman and then we moved to the Westin for 5 days. I have to stay we like the Marriott better. I would say although the room was marginally better at the Westin not worth the significant price difference plus staff at Marriott were much nicer. In fact one staff member only stands out for us at the Westin was a fellow at the front desk Hadi i believe his name was and he was previously employed by the Marriott so the superior customer service training that the Marriott provide to their staff really stands out. THen my biggest problem, which i hope the General Manager FINALLY responds to on behalf of the 16 complaints on this board since April 1 - 30% of the respondents, is the significant lack of umbrellas at the beach. We did not even stay during peak season and the hotel was not fully booked and even getting to the beach at 7:30 am they were all supposedly taken only to find out the staff are reserving them with beach toys and then taking bribe money from guests to get those "reserved" umbrellas. I also found an older poster noting that they observed the staff doing this as well. So please Mr General Mgr please do not give me the same non response you have given to other guests on this board regarding this problem. Please finally tell us all when you are going to get more umbrellas to properly meet the needs of your guests and to stop the practices currently used by your staff !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your review and feedback regarding your recent stay with us and would like to offer our apologies if at any time the level of service you received did not always reflect the high standards of customer service that we have set. In response to your concern regarding the umbrellas we would like to let you know that the umbrellas for the beach are available on a first come basis and no preferential treatment is given to any guest. There is however other options such as cabanas on the beach and the natural shade provided by the tropical palm and casuarina trees plus the use of cabanas and shade sails on the pool deck. We do regret if you were unaware of the available alternatives or if these options were not what you hoped for. Thank you for sharing your valuable perspective with us and please feel free to contact us directly should you require further information.
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Loved this hotel and will stay here next time! Clean, great decor, excellent service and perfect location.

The concierge service was very helpful. Great breakfast across the street. Close to Georgetown and west bay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cheapest rooms but would do ocean view next time.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We cannot thank you enough for sharing your glowing review for The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa. It pleases us greatly to learn that you were so happy with our hotel, services and location during your recent trip. Please visit us again soon.
Stillwater, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Just got home from Grand Cayman Island after a weeklong stay at The Westin...overall we had a great time and enjoyed our accommodations. I tend not to be a 'gusher' or a 'hater,' so I'll just provide the pros, cons and a few tips.

First, I traveled with my husband and our two youngest sons, ages 11 and 9. And we had a wonderful, beachy vacation. Really enjoyed our time on Grand Cayman. One of my earlier reviews on Beaches Turks & Caicos was summarily blasted by those assuming I was just someone who was too picky to ever have any fun. Not true....when I write my reviews, I'm largely focusing on the accommodations, not the vacation itself! Hopefully, that will add some perspective to what I'm writing here.

PROS:
1) The beach. We have traveled all over the Carribean and, other than a couple secluded beaches on St. John, I would rate 7 Mile Beach right at the top for families. It's largely calm, clear blue and clean. For the first time in a long time, my kids wanted to spend more time in the ocean than in the pool. Easily could spend the day swimming and floating the hours away right in front of the Westin. Sand beach is deep and fairly flat to the water. "Governor's reef" is located just a few hundred feet off shore and offers great snorkeling for kids. It won't do much to impress more experienced snorkelers, but it's great for those just getting started or those who don' want to take a boat trip to more exciting snorkeling locales.

2) The first floor beach front rooms. If your family plans to spend a lot of time on the beach, I would highly recommend this. They've got small covered "patios" with upgraded outdoor furnishings and a step-up rinse bucket for sandy feet. These rooms are a smidge smaller (at 380sf)) than other pool/ocean view rooms, but given they have hardwood floors and easy access to both the pool and beach, it's well worth the trade-off. We stayed in room 100 which is located right next to the poolside grill. We thought it might be too noisy, but it was not a problem at all.

3) The beachfront cabanas. It's quite hot/sunny...especially toward the end of April, so if you are pale Minnesotans like us, they quickly become the heroes of your beach stay. Yes, they cost $$$, but compared to cabanas you might purchase in Las Vegas, LA, etc., they are quite reasonable. Large cabanas for 4 go for $180 per day...they are located closest to the ocean. Those located closer to the pool, but still facing the beach fetch $150. The deluxe wooden cabanas go for $250 per day, but include one king sized sun bed, two twins and a cooler. We did the $180 cabana and were very pleased. My only comment is that there were several (nearly all) vacant cabanas each day. If I were running the show at Westin, I would start discounting the rate around 1:00 p.m. to fill them up (some revenue is better than no revenue!). As a consumer, if you don't want to pay for an entire day....I would maybe start making offers around lunchtime and see if they bite.

4) Casa Havana restaurant (200 ft. from our room). The restaurant is a small-plate concept (our waiter recommended we order 3 a-piece...and that was right on). With the exception of one duck dish that was overdone, we thought the meal was wonderful. Our waiter made great suggestions for wine pairings and provided attentive, yet not 'hawk-like' service. We enjoyed it! It's a bit pricey...but a great date night experience. One nice improvement they could make is to lose the techo-80's music and play some classic 40-50's Latino music to better fit the experience (in general, Grand Cayman Island seems to be a quiet place...music was never played too loud and often not loud enough).

5) Room Service. There were a few nights where, after the beach/pool/cocktails...we were all too tuckered out to get ourselves dressed up for dinner and opted for room service. The food wasn't by any means amazing, but it was adequate for a sleepy, sun-kissed family. The service was always attentive and friendly...and the menu provided a good selection of items.

6) GORDON! Our "beach guy" was great! On the days where we didn't rent a cabana, we asked Gordon to help us secure a spot on the beach with towels, chairs and an umbrella. We tipped him generously....and, as far as I'm concerned, it's the best money we spent on the trip. He also took time out of his day to play catch with my kids....every day he was on duty. He did the same for many other families. He's a great asset to the Westin organization...goes above and beyond to make sure you're having a great time. I think he should be promoted to "Beachfront Director"....but that's just my two cents!

7) The beachfront service staff. These guys/gals bust their tails every day (and they work VERY long hours) to bring you drinks/food etc. They stop by your spot often to make sure "everything is OK?" and other than a few who had attitudes (which happens no matter where you stay), everyone was really friendly and attentive. They definitely earn their tips...so please be sure not to stiff them!....more on tipping in a minute....

8) Overall laid-back "vibe." By general Caribbean resort standards, Westin is fairly quiet and easy-going. We often stay at Ritz-Carlton when travelling...which can become a bit stuffy/pretentious....especially when you're travelling with children. While there weren't alot of kids there during our trip and there was a convention going on at the same time, there was no crazy partying and at no time were my kids made to feel unwelcome. It was just easy and relaxing. That said, you always run into those folks who are completely unaware of their surroundings...drink too much...and drop the f-bomb (loudly) every other word. I have no problem asking someone to watch their language around my kids....you just have to be assertive, yet kind. They do a low-key happy hour from 5-7 at the pool. Live music, discounted drinks, etc....we used that time to play in the pool/'water dance," etc...the kids had a blast and so did we.

CONS:

1) We booked a pool/ocean front room, which was not ready for us until after 5:00pm on the day we arrived. Because we booked through Amex Platinum Travel, our package included a free upgrade when available and a $100 resort credit for Red-Sail Sports (which we never received...need to follow up on that). I inquired about the upgrade when I checked in and was told "This is the best room we offer at the hotel." However, when we arrived at our room, we found ourselves in a "partial ocean view room"(room 507...I confirmed this with the booking website). We basically overlooked the restaurant/parking lot and a palm tree...and enjoyed the very loud whirrr of 8 exhaust fans. If you stood on your tippy-toes at the very corner of the patio (on the 5th floor), you could see a sliver of ocean. The room itself didnt bother me at all, but we paid a premium for the view....and didn't get it. We were very tired by the time we arrived, so I didn't go downstairs to inquire about a room change until the next morning. When I spoke to them at first, the front desk attendant showed me a "map" of the rooms and told me I was staying in a full ocean/pool view room...actually tried to argue with me about the room itself when their website stated exactly the opposite ("Partial Ocean View rooms are located at the North and South ends of the building...."). I offered to walk up to our room with him so he could see our pool/ocean view himself. No Pool. No Ocean. I even offered to pay additional for a different room. It took a few hours, but we were 'upgraded at no charge' to room 100...beachfront. I was very appreciative, but still a bit tweaked in that the original desk clerk told us that the room we were booked to was the 'highest grade in the hotel...aside from the suites..' I stay at a lot of hotels for both business and leisure. Please don't B.S. me. I am not a naive traveller or vacationer.

2) Dear Westin Resorts, your are located on one of the best beaches in the Caribbean....if not the world. PLEASE invest in more beach umbrellas! We heard more 4-letter words from guests (at 6:00am) trying to spy out a place on the beach...only to find the 20 (yes, I counted) available umbrellas already booked. 20 umbrellas? Walk next door to the Ritz and you will find individual umbrella chairs in the 100's. Umbrellas are not crazy expensive (and would pay for themselves in drinks/food revenue almost immediately)....this seems like a no-brainer. Anthony Melchiorri would have a field day with you on this issue...

3) The Heavenly Bed. This one stumped me...because I've stayed in several Westins and always enjoy the beds and pillows. Not the case here. Maybe we had different beds because we were in a beachfront room??? Maybe the humiditiy???....not sure, but the pillows were lumpy (as if they'd been washed and tossed in the dryer too many times) and the beds most definitely NOT heavenly. This is an anomaly for Westin hotels....so I can't be sure what happened here.....I feel badly about even making this comment because my experience in this area has always been so positive at other Westin properties.

TIPS:

1) Tipping: Here's the thing...The Westin, along with many other resorts and businesss in Grand Cayman, charge an automatic 15-16% on all food/beverage/other charges. I've always been a good tipper, but this threw us for a loop. When we have great service, no issue tipping 20-30%, but when a "gratuity" is thrust on me...I bristle a bit... Example: I was charged a 16% tip on the rental for a beach cabana ($180)...even if I hadn't ordered a thing?!? Now, we did order a bunch and our beach server was compensated well, but it takes away the choice of tipping. Weird. Another example: At the buffet, I was charged a 16% gratuity for the waitstaff to bring us 2 orange juices and a cup of coffee...at $20 a person whereby we had to grab our own food, that seems a little excessive. I signed off on the 16 %.....only to witness the waitstaff shaking their heads and sneering about how they'd been 'stiffed.' This is more of an FYI...just be aware of it when you pull out your credit card.

2) Tipping #2: If you want a great beach chair, table...whatever....especially in the Caribbean, you need to offer a few dollars ($20 is probably good)! We overheard many indignant "why didn't we get an umbrella?" comments.

3) Nearby Eats Options
a. Eats Cafe - great food, great service (across the street)
b. Sunshine Grill (at the Sundshine Suites - across the street) - good food, atmosphere (no pre-gratuity included)
c. Coconut Joe's (1/4 mile away) - good, a bit expensive, good character
d. Ritz pool bar/grill (really good food, expensive)

Our favorite things:
1. Stringray sandbar, Catamaran from 7-mile beach to 1,2 in this list. I could spend an entire trip on a boat...and Red Sail Sports did not disappoint.
2. Rum Point - cool little area for lunch/drinks/water fun.
3. Ram - Avery talented bartender at Ortanique in Camana Bay.Go there and enjoy an amazing libation! He's great with the kids too!...before 8:00pm when it become an adult place
3. 7 mile beach swimming - So fun!!

Not our favorite things:
1. Georgetown - Duty Frees, not-so-good restaurants and smarmy gift shops. Take that, along with cruise ship crowds....no need to go! Stay at the beach.

Hopefully, this provides a solid review of our stay (even though we went beyond the bounds of the hotel itself). For a good, beachy vacation....we would definitely go back!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
WestinGrandCayman, General Manager at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing such a complete and detailed review of your stay at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa. We loved reading all the details your family’s vacation and learning about the experiences you had. We do however regret your disappointment with regard to your initial room and the bed, we are very sorry. Your praise for our staff, the cuisine at Casa Havana and many of the amenities you enjoyed during your stay is sincerely appreciated. We hope that the next time you are visiting the Island you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The staff was marvelous!!!! Great location.... Heavenly Beds were amazing...I would recommend to have the ceiling fans cleaned better since you can see the dust on the white blades, an extra trash can would help also. Otherwise "perfect".

Room Tip: I don't think there could be a bad room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you. We very much appreciate your gracious praise for our staff, location and the comfort of our beds. It is our greatest desire that our guests enjoy their time at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa and it is always a pleasure for us to hear from them. Please visit us again soon.

Been to The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!