“HoneyMoon 2013 on Grand Cayman” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 30620, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman (Formerly Westin Casuarina)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Kentucky
“HoneyMoon 2013 on Grand Cayman”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our Honeymoon on Grand Cayman. We chose the Westin based on friends expericen being there before and the location on Seven Mile. Also the price, since it was less money then the Marriott or Ritz, those 2 seem to be the next hotels of choice. Any and all bad reviews of the hotel itself or workers are either people just complaining for no reason, or just a bad experience for them. The hotel itself is beatiful and all the rennovations look great. Not sure how it looked before them, but now it is great. In our entire 6 day stay I did not meet one staff member who was rude or not smiling. Everybody on the island was so nice and pleasant to us, I couldn't believe it. One of the main negatives I saw posted was the conceriger's being not helpful, that is not true. We asked for help on excursions, resturants, reserverations, the buses and taxies, they helped everytime with a smile on their face. They also had a huge company staying for a conference that week so had to deal with them as well, even with that, nothing but great things. Every time we left the hotel there was somebody there to help with taxi and open the door for us, that is service. The pool is great, the beach and ocean is better then my visits to Hawaii. We walked one day all the way down to the Marriott, the Westin beach is better then anything other property on that stretch. We missed our room being cleaned one night because we were getting ready for dinner, they gave us what we needed to get through the night and promised to be back first thing in the morning, which they were. No extra charges during the week, and nothing funny on the bill at the end. We would be at the beach at 9 in the morning and be back at 6 at night or watching from our ovean view balcony, the same waitresses that were walking the beach at 9 were still working and had smiles on their face. You know how hard of a job that has to be in the sun and heat all day, brining drinks and food to the beach and pool??? They were always smiling, took pics for us, and talked to us. Just fablous service that I bet you dont' get at the Ritz. As always you will see bad reviews on tripadvisor for every hotel, in this case, none are true as usual. We had an awesome honeymoon and just wanted to say thanks to the hotel. If you have any questions on places to eat, or excursions let me know, we hit a bunch of different places while were were there. Can't wait to go back in a few years hopefully!!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor, 432. Had a pool/ocean view room. It was a great room. King size bed, ai...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinGrandCayman, General Manager at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Congratulations on your nuptials! We are honored that you and your wife chose to stay at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa for your honeymoon and we are truly flattered by all your wonderful comments. We cannot thank you enough for the appreciation you have shared for our associates and our hotel. We hope that your return to Grand Cayman will be soon as it would be our sincere pleasure to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We just returned from a 4 day trip to the Westin. The hotel and location surpassed our expectations.

Our room had been upgraded (to our surprise) to an ocean view room which was large and spacious. The pool and beach areas were kept very clean and the view so beautiful.

We will definitely return to this property in the very near future!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We are delighted that we could upgrade you to an ocean view room and that exceed your expectations. It is always important to the staff at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa to provide exceptional service and create an atmosphere in which our guests can relax and enjoy their time here. Thank you for all your positive feedback; we hope to welcome you back soon.
George Town, null, Cayman Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Westin Casuarina is a bit expensive but it is located in 7 mile beach which is close to everything. The great thing about the hotel is it's oceanfront view right at your door.The water is gorgeous and clean. It's great for snorkeling. Some of the employees have a bit of attitude but I guess we always encounter that wherever we go.Customer in North America is still second to none. This based on all of my travel around the world.

Room Tip: ask for an updated room if they you are not happy witht he one you have.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
WestinGrandCayman, General Manager at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa is in the heart of Grand Cayman with easy access to the area’s best attractions; including scuba diving, shopping, and golf. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our beachfront location. Please visit us again soon.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My family (myself, husband, and two "adult" children 18 & 20) spend a week here in March. The property is centrally located on 7 Mile Beach, not too close to the more crowded areas (esp when the huge cruise ships come in) but not isolated either. The beach was BEAUTIFUL with plenty of chairs- no chair wars; attentive beach service & good food from the snack shacks. Staff was wonderful, accommodating and friendly all around, happily made daily dinner recommendations &reservations for us, arranged taxis, laundry service, and arranged the activities we wanted. Down the beach was the Ritz, where the seaweed was piled so high on the beach that they actually had bulldozers out on the beach to rid them of this stinking mess. The rooms were nice; we faced the pool and did not spend any time on the balcony since it faced right out over the pool; it was not at all private but it was not at all noisy either. Excellent daily buffet breakfast. Highly recommended, and very happy I didn't spend double to stay at the Ritz!

Room Tip: Ocean view can mean that you get just a peek; higher up (3rd floor at least) will have nicer views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback as well as your high recommendations, we are thrilled your family had such a positive experience at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa. Your gracious praise for our staff is genuinely appreciated, thank you. It is always our pleasure to assist our guests in any way possible and create an ideal getaway for them. We hope that on your next visit to the area you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back for another wonderful experience.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I travel frequently and have top level at a number of hotel chains including Lifetime Platinum Starwood, Priority Club and Fairmont. I also stay at properties that do not have formal guest programs such as the Four Seasons. My typical SPG hotels include Westins, St Regis and the luxury collection.

I chose where I stay with comfort and customer service being prime in my decision process.

The sole purpose of this trip to Grand Cayman was a vacation.

We spent 11 nights at the Westin. We were greeted promptly by a very friendly bellman on arrival. Appropriate help and assistance was given with luggage and direction to the check-in area. Had to wait until 3:00 to check in however was given the opportunity to change. Luggage was stored. So no concern.

We were upgrade to a lovely ocean view with a large patio area and hard wood floors. Room was in very good condition. We certainly enjoyed our large patio. This was particularly the case noting challenges to get beach chairs. (more on this later) Many comment that some updating of décor may be in-order. From my perspective the hotel was clean and condition was good in common areas as well as our room, so no concern in this area. Room was cleaned / refreshed twice a day. Our room attendant Pearl was awesome. Put petals on the bed, made the towels into swans etc. I have some concerns about the time the room is cleaned. This could be anywhere from late morning to late afternoon. It seemed on high turnover days occupied rooms were left until around 5. I am sure this is a challenge for the property but something I think that needs attention.

The person that replenished coffee and water would forget the room some day. When we phoned this was looked after.

I have no desire to get up early and start my day with placing towels, beach toys, magazines etc. on sun beds. However many days people had done this and by 8 most prime spots were taken and there was no space left by the pool. A sign says if you leave a sun-bed unattended for more that 2 hours your possessions will be put in safe storage. This isn’t done though. I spoke to someone at the hotel. Plans are to print cards and place these on sun-beds that are left unattended for 2 hours. I support the direction but suggest if the lounger is not used for 45 minutes than a card be placed on the lounger noting the time and indicating if it remains unused for another 30 minutes the personal items left will be placed in safe keeping. If this policy is well publicized at check-in and other areas then there should be no real problem with the same. I think this approach would be a plus. If the policy is implemented, it should be enforced. To fellow travelers, it is not right to block space and then go out for the better part of the day. Please be respectful of others needs.

I was impressed with most of the pool / beach areas. Areas were well maintained and clean. Staff did little extras. This being said 1 person I asked for help was chatting with a co-worker and told me to go find a vacant bed and I could move it to where I wanted it. So on the whole no complaints, in fact good service, but not 100% consistent. Hot tub says age 16+. This is not managed. Many kids under 10 or 11 are left on their own in the hot tub and use it as their private play area. No parents present. Counted as many as 16 kids on more than 1 occasion. I think this should be managed from a safety and enjoyment perspective.

The concierge service was good. The staff were personable and helpful with recommendations. Also suggested things like the bus or going on your own without a tour to save money.

Ate in 3 hotel locations. Good service. Food not outstanding but what I would have expected from a resort of this type. The young hostess for breakfasts knew our names by day 2 and was very personable. Couple days before we were to leave she said she would be off on our last day and wanted to thank us for being a guest and she looked forward to seeing us on a future vacation. Wish I could recall her name as it is this type of thing that makes a difference to customer service.

There is a mandatory resort fee that was $25 when we booked. On our bill it was $35. At checkout was told it had gone up. After some discussion and confirmation of my booking date it was adjusted for. Was told if the guest notes it is wrong than a correction is made. Also internet was included in my rate and charged for on some days. Was taken off when I pointed this out. Was again told on that where guests see errors the charge is fixed. I This is the wrong approach. Guests should not have to notice to get it fixed. While I know many properties and brands have a resort fee I don’t like the practice. If this fee is need to achieve the appropriate revenue it should be built into the room charge. This comment is not just directed at this property but at all SPG resorts that follow this practice. Set the room rates to ensure the revenue you need to achieve is met. I heard lots complaining that towels ran out, and often no sun-beds and/or chairs were available. People were saying if these were what the resort fee is for than deliver. There were numerous arguments about the fee on checkout. Hotels need to delivery what they promise and I think get rid of the extra fee. The Westin in Whistler got rid of the fee and said it has improved guest relations/interactions.

Overall I would say great resort property and would rate it 4 star. Very clean and well maintained. It is what I would expect from a Westin. Service ranged from outstanding to poor. Most staff went above and beyond to give guests the experience they expect and deserve; however there were detractors from this.

We will return to this hotel and look forward to staying here again, but manage your expectations and I hope they address access to sun beds and the resort fee issue.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing such a detailed review of your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to read your comments and to learn all about your experience at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa. We truly appreciate the valuable perspective you have shared with us on everything from the aesthetics of the hotel to your suggestions on how to improve future guests’ experiences, thank you. We would like to offer our apologies for any inaccuracies on your bill. Everyone here is looking forward to your return and hopes that if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, you will let us know.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was my third time staying at the Westin in Grand Cayman, and I really love this hotel. It's quite beautiful --- I must say the renovated lobby is gorgeous. Stunning!!! The location of this hotel is pretty close to ideal because you can walk to some cute restaurants across the street without any problem --- I highly recommend Sunshine Grill and Edoardos Italian (best Italian food I have ever had - and I have been to Italy). I do feel compelled to point out a couple of serious "flaws" at the Westin....I pray the general manager of the hotel will read this review and take action. I traveled with my husband, 17 yr old daughter, and 11 yr old stepson. The male employees did not hesitate AT ALL to openly flirt with my 17 yr old daughter. In fact, one male employee had to bring something up to our room on our last day there --- she opened the door, and he started asking her all sorts of personal questions "what's your name? how long are you staying here? etc.". Completely inappropriate --- it made her feel very uncomfortable. I had my own 'run-in' with a male employee when I was working out at the hotel fitness center at 5:15 a.m. I had passed the security guard on the way to the fitness center and said 'good morning'. I was enjoying my early morning workout all by myself in the gym. About fifteen minutes into my workout, I felt like someone was standing behind me....I was completely spooked when I saw the guard just standing there wanting to chat me up!!! He started asking me how long I was staying on the island, etc. Keep in mind --- it was just the two of us in the gym and it was insanely early in the morning. Once again, completely inappropriate. I told my husband, and he wasn't the least bit pleased about this. Alas, I think all of the male employees need to be reminded to leave female guests alone. It made our stay a little less enjoyable. Overall, the hotel is beautiful. The beach is ideal -- be prepared for the water to be a bit chilly. The only other thing I wanted to comment on is the cleaning of the rooms. Don't be surprised if you get back from a morning/early afternoon outing and your room hasn't been cleaned. We had multiple days where the room wasn't touched until late afternoon.

Fantastically beautiful hotel --- management needs to fine-tune the details and speak to the employees!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We value you as a guest and were delighted by your many compliments for our hotel. We were, however, surprised to read your account about the interactions you had with our staff. Your comments will be reviewed further with our team to hopefully gain a better understanding as to what may have occurred and to to reinforce the professional rules of conduct we have in place. We always want our guests to feel comfortable and only wished that we were given the opportunity to address this concern at the time of your stay. On your next visit to the area, we hope that you will allow us to welcome you back and provide a level of service that exceeds your expectations.
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. We never wanted to leave the hotel and rarely did. However, the location is really all there is to brag about. This property is quite old and thankfully is scheduled to get a face lift. Since the renovation is already planned I won't go into details about my criticisms since they are likely to be remedied. No real Starwood Preferred benefits. Also, the money you spend at the spa and with Red Sail (reviewed separately) will not accrue points even though the charges are billed to your room. I wish I would have known that. Service is excellent though and I'm sure the remodel will elevate this property to five stars. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinGrandCayman, General Manager at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
We truly appreciate your review of The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa, thank you. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we’re thrilled you loved our location on the renowned Seven Mile Beach so much. We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Been to The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!