“Simply the best” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort

You added Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort to your Saves list
Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   389 West Bay Road | PO BOX 30371, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
georgia
“Simply the best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Just spent a week at the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort and was completely satisfied. Staff was friendly and very attentive to all our needs, going out of their way on several occasions to make sure we were made happy. This was our second visit to the island and our first to the Marriott. Would go back in a second!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (935)
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

Loved it loved it..... Read the reviews here and felt comfortable in using the Mariott rewards points. My friend and I decided to book a quick get away for the Labor day weekend, we have been to the Bahamas a million and 1 times and been to Jamaica too. So we wanted to try something different. Since we live in Miami FL, and it was a short weekend I thought why not Cayman since it was so close to us. We checked out the photos and the hotel is exactly what it appears to be online. As we arrived on the Island, there is a taxi stand that is organized quite well in an orderly fashion. You just join the line ( took us about 2 min) and then the operator directs you to the designated cab. Took us maybe 15 mins or less to get to the hotel.Not more than $20 U.S Not exactly sure how long the ride was, too busy looking around at the Island. I'm so use to the hustling and bustling of other Islands so it was nice to see a quiet and calm Island for a change.... Best of all I heard its illegal for locals to try to sell you anything there so that was great....Once we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with a fruit punch (I think) maybe rum punch or was that on the flight... Whatever it was, some kind of drink... Oh and they had concierge opening doors and readily available to help.... Really nice....Our room wasn't ready so I went straight out the back to see the ocean... I'm a fish by the way so I just have to be in the water. On the way to the beach you have to walk through the garden.. That was really cute, the description that pretty much everyone else has said about it is up to par. Of course I was greeted by an iguana that i almost stepped on, just had to be me. The beach lets just say peace on earth... Tranquility... really nice, not a wave in sight... so calming, I have been to a few Caribbean beaches and this one is definitely one to mention.... I just wanted to Jump in, jeans and all but i had an excursion booked so going in would have to wait. Check my photos out it really captures the tranquility of the beach. I had an ocean view suite, it was nicely kept up. The view was the deal breaker...... the room had a microwave a little sink/kitchen area and a couch/bed. It was nice not 5 star but it was comfortable and relaxing. For me the bathroom could have been cleaned a little more. Had hair in the tub from the previous guest but nothing to complain about, plus I'm a little ocd so it might just be me. The toilet roll is just placed in a weird spot you kind of need to get off the toilet and turn all the way around to get some paper..... :) Over all I have no complaints....Asked for a wake up call and they are prompt in doing so... trust me its appreciated, been to hotels before and no wake up call was ever made. We ate outside by the beach and their food was really nice, I had the Mahi wrap and that was fresh, did taste abit different the other day but was still good. As everyone has pretty much mentioned, yes the food is more expensive here but I didn't find it to be too extravagant.... If your a fish like myself you will absolutely love the beach, their man-made reef is really nice and the fish LOVE it.. They were so many and they follow you as you snorkel. Don't forget to bring your own snorkel. The reef is a little eerie looking at sunset so i didn't bother snorkeling too late (looks like enormous beehives). I saw a moray eel there too..... On one morning a few guest took a muffin in the ocean to feed the fish but i didn't, the guests seemed to really enjoy that.... They had a ton of fish around them. There are mosquitos there at night, the outside restaurant has bug repellant, but I brought mine along from the states. There wasn't a lot of guest staying at the hotel during my stay so getting a chair was not a problem, plus I didnt need it, stayed in the water mostly. However if you need a chair their is ample... The beach attendant is always their to set up an umbrella for you. Just take a look at my pics. It speaks for itself.... I'll be going back before Thanksgiving... You'll have a great time......Enjoy......

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

Good points: Most of the staff were friendly and made the experience enjoyable. Good location on 7mile beach, amazing beach/water. Rooms clean if dated. Drinks at beach bar are good and service in these outside areas are great. Plenty of loungers/towels for hotel guests to use at no charge.

Bad points: Website misleading and there is NO free wi-fi. Reception staff were not informed or even particularly polite. Not the best value for money. Food expensive and mediocre *beach bar food was better than eve/buffet events.

The hotel was also frequented mainly by families or couples and was dead after 9-10pm, depending on what you want this could fall into either category.

I traveled with a good friend of mine and we both felt that our vacation was marred by some of the experiences we had with the reception and head of guest services staff. None of who were particularly helpful or friendly. We felt we were an inconvenience to them and not valued customers. This issue with the wi-fi was inconvenient to us as we'd hauled a laptop half way across the world and taken up valuable luggage allowance to do so all because the website is misleading. The manager offered us 4hrs of internet time to use over the 2weeks but frankly this was only adding insult to injury. F.Y.I The coffee shop behind the petrol station offers free wi-fi all day every day for as long as you like, and yet the hotel we'd spent a huge amount on to be our home for 2wks wasn't particularly bothered.
Our room on arrival was on the ground floor and smelt of damp, after we'd complained about the wi-fi issue and this we were moved but it was made out to us that they were doing us a favour when there was a fault with the room!

This hotel is ok, but when doing our research the Ritz-Carlton wasn't a huge amount more, when we saw it we were absolutely gutted we hadn't gone for that option as it would have been a completely different holiday!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Palm Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

We had an all inclusive using Marriott points. The staff couldn't have done anything else to make our stay more pleasant. They greeted us by name and the room had an ocean view.
Some nights we had turn down service and the last night we were there they gave us a complimentary fruit bowl. We arrived right after Labor Day so there were very few people there. The grounds and pool area were always clean. Sitting by the pool the staff from the restaurant would come and take our food order. The service was very speedy. The food at both restaurants was excellent. If we had enough points, we'd go back every year.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Well, all I can say is that sometimes you have to go see for yoursef. Prior to my husand and I trip, I read the reviews. Some of them were positive and others were negative. We stayed form 8/23-27/2010. The hotel was located perfectly on the seven mile beach stretch. The beach was absolutely beautiful. Although, the food was a bit pricey, it was rally good. We rented a car, toured the island and enoyed the beach. Overall, I was satisfied with the service, food and stay at the hotel.

Only one thing to remember....There is a $100 accidental charge to your bill, so when they put through the authorization, be mindful of this..

SF...Brooklyn

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

This resort exceeded all of our expectations for a relaxing vacation. The property itself is not large which made it feel very personal. The service is superb, we could not have asked for better service. The restaurants are excellent with many choices spanning a wide range of cuisines. We had wonderful meals throughout our stay. We love the location and found it to be the perfect place to get away from the stress of our everyday lives. It is obvious that the people who work here take pride in what they do and want to be sure every guest has the best experience possible. This would be exquisite for a destination wedding. We are already making plans to return next year.

Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

My husband and I recently visited Grand Cayman. We stayed at the Marriott on seven mile beach. Normally, we stay at small hotels or condos located "off the beaten path." So we were a little weary when we chose to stay at the largest tourist beach on the island. However, we had an amazing time. The hotel offered great accommodations. The housekeeping staff always managed to clean our room before we returned from our morning on the beach, plus the front desk, pool, and bell staff were all helpful and knowledgeable about local attractions and restaurants. The pool wasn't huge, but we found it to be perfect for the number of people at the hotel. The beach, along with the chairs and umbrellas, were perfect. There's pretty good snorkeling right off the beach because they have built up the reef by adding reef balls.

The island itself was wonderful. The first day we rented a car and drove all over the island. After our drive, we realized we were happy to stay at our hotel, only venturing out on foot to try out the local cuisine. The food at the Marriott was good but pricey. We found some excellent options off property. Chicken Chicken was by far our favorite place, definitely the best chicken I've ever eaten. Also, the lattes at Cafe del Sol were wonderful. Honorable mention goes to Cimboco, great food, but not a lot of options.

Overall, we loved the Grand Cayman because it provided exactly what we needed: sun, relaxation, food, and fun!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort? Share your experiences!