“Relaxing beach at the mariott” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort

You added Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort to your Saves list
Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   389 West Bay Road | PO BOX 30371, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Denver
“Relaxing beach at the mariott”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

The Mariott was great. I did read a rewiew that said to get a room away from the construction...it worked. They put us on the court yard side. The hotel is very central and has a car rental spot in the lobby. We spent $50 on a cab ride to and from the Calypso Grill. The Grill was the best food (far better than the grand old house) ( We had to ask for our bill after waiting 40 minutes.) The Mariott beach is great...they have a snorkle area just a few feet into the ocean. We made reservations with Fat Fish Adventures..that was the best! We took jet skies to sting ray city and then went lobster hunting. It was great to really get out on the ocean and open up a jet ski. Most tours are too scripted and easy. We met 2 other couples on the lobster hunt..and we all had a lobster bake that night with the 6 we caught. The Mariott food and drinks are $$$..but thats what i expected. Eats diner across from the Westin is GREAT! Prices are good and food is yummy. We are going to go back...we might rent a condo if we can find one on 7 mile beach . The food is costly in Cayman...and we would like to spent more money on fun. I would recommend the marriott for ease, calypso grill for the best food (make reservations) (sticky toffey pudding was freakishly good), and Fat fish adventures for fun.

• Liked — Relaxing beach.
  • Disliked — Its hard to think of one.
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
aberdeen,scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from the Marriott Grand Cayman. We had an excellent 7 day break in Grand Cayman. The hotel is much what you would expect from a Marriott - the rooms are clean and well furnished, the bed is very comfortable and each room has a decent size balcony which is big enough to sit out and relax. The beach is fantastic and there were always beach chairs available and very good service for drinks/lunch.

The location of the hotel is ideal - we walked into Georgetown one day for some shopping and next day walked up to the RitzCarlton for cocktails. If you prefer not to walk then the "bus" can take you up and down Seven Mile Beach and they are very inexpensive. Please note bus means small people carrier - they usually sound their horn if they see you walking and you can flag them down if you wish.

Dining in the hotel is expensive although I would disagree with some reviewers and considered the breakfast good value. It is 15 CI dollars but you get excellent choice and the omelettes were very good. You also have the option of getting a coffee and a muffin in the lobby area if you do not want to endulge early in the day.

We tried a few restaurants close to the hotel. Coconut Joe's is VERY informal but great food and pretty inexpensive. AquaBeach is a little disorganized but OK value and you can get a nice meal at Cimboco around the corner. All 3 of these are within 5 minutes walk.

The 2 negative comments I would say are as follows. The parrott they keep on exit to beach is very noisy so if you like to take an afternoon nap after a hard days sunbathing or if you like to sleep late - its very difficult in a Courtyard view room. Secondly as has been mentioned before the price of wine here is ridiculous. They charge 12CI dollars for cheapest glass of white wine. If you are a wine drinker go next door to Stngers bar in Comfort Inn where you get a very nice glass at less than half the price. Even the Ritz Carlton has wine starting from 9CI dollars!

Overall, a great stay and we wouldn't hesitate to book again although we may try Marriott St.Kitts next time. Anyone been to both and can provide comparison?

• Liked — Beachfront location
  • Disliked — Noisy parrot!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

I stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort in a courtyard view room earlier this month. I am female, traveled solo, and this was my first trip to Grand Cayman. Overall, I had a good experience at the Marriott and would consider staying there again.

Beach and Pool:

I am obsessive about my trip planning, and for beach vacations, a mid-range hotel with a very good beach (wide, not rocky, white sand, and not crammed with beach chairs or people) is my usual choice. In researching Grand Cayman accommodations, I had decided that the central to north parts of Seven Mile Beach were best suited to my needs, and I booked at the Courtyard Marriott after considering the Westin and several condos. However, due to damage from hurricane Paloma, the Courtyard Marriott closed, and I was relocated to the Marriott Beach Resort. Having read unfavorable comments about the beach size and quality at the Marriott Beach Resort, I was prepared for a narrower, more crowded beach than I prefer, but the Marriott’s beach was better than I expected. There were three rows of chairs set up, but there was quite a bit of space between the rows, and there was enough space to move chairs around to get more room between your chair and other people and align the chair to the sun angle. There were a few rocks on the beach, but it wasn’t excessive (walking south from the Marriott is another story; the beach deteriorates rapidly with stretches that are very narrow and or all rocks and washed up shells). The Marriott pool is right behind the beach with a beach/ocean view, but I did not spend any time in or around the pool. There also was a Jacuzzi near the pool. I thought about using it, but the one afternoon I wandered over that way, there were a bunch of kids in it. One day, the hotel closed the pool area for a private function around 5 pm, which didn’t bother me since I didn’t use the pool, and it was almost the end of the day (sunset was between 5:30 and 6:00 pm). There was a crane and an unsightly sand mound and construction fence past the end of Marriott’s property (on the Comfort Suites side) and some construction noise from the condo they are building there, but the noise was not constant and did not bother me much. I always sat at the other end of Marriott’s beach away from the construction and pool.

Bars and restaurants:

I can’t say too much about this, since I didn’t eat at the hotel at all and only had a sunset drink at the beach bar one night. There was a bar and restaurant right behind the beach with a nice view, and waiters/waitresses also provided beach service. There also was a small lobby bar and indoor restaurant. The beach bar has happy hour specials for several different mixed/frozen drinks for $5 CI, which is a bargain for Grand Cayman. There seemed to be other specials too. Sunday late morning/early afternoon I overheard nearby people ordering 2 for 1 brunch type drinks (mimosas, bloody Marys).

Facilities and Amenities:

The hotel is a pretty standard Marriott and offers a lot of what you would expect in terms of having a fitness room, some computers for guest internet use (for a fee), on-site car rental (Avis), on-site watersports operator (RedSail), a spa, and a gift shop. It also has meeting and banquet facilities, so there were several business functions and private parties there during my stay. Many reviews comment that the Marriott is a small “resort” but having spent my last few Caribbean vacations at condo resorts and/or smaller, independent properties, the Marriott seemed like a more business-focused hotel. The outdoor courtyard area was kind of interesting with a pond for turtles and tropical garden area for iguanas, but I found the birds (parrots?) noisy and annoying. The fitness room had a multi-station Life Fitness weight machine, two treadmills, two bikes, a stair climber, and some dumb bells. The equipment wasn’t the newest and showed some wear and tear, but it met my needs for doing a little weight training a couple of times during my stay. I agree with other reviewers that the fees to use wireless internet at the hotel ($12.95 CI, which is >$16 US, per day), are excessive.

Location:

The Marriott is conveniently located for walking to restaurants, bars, and shopping along Seven Mile Beach. It also is within walking distance (for me – it is probably about 1.5 to 2 miles) to Georgetown. Right near the hotel, I liked Café del Sol for coffee and internet access, and I enjoyed dinner at Cimboco. There also are a couple of bars and less expensive restaurants (including fast food), and a gas station/convenience store very close to the Marriott.

Rooms:

The décor was a little bit tropical style, but the room was pretty standard for a Marriott. My room was a decent size with two double beds, a desk, a dresser, a mini refrigerator (small cube size), a small coffeemaker, and a TV. The bathroom was fine too. Housekeeping generally did a good job, but the wall to wall carpeting (I’m not a big fan of carpeting for beach hotels anyway) had some stains, and the small white rug in front of the sink in the bathroom had some spots on it when I checked in, and despite having a pile of these rugs on the housekeeping cart, it was never replaced during my five night stay (and probably not before either). The bed was comfortable with good linens. Towels were standard hotel quality, and there were plenty of them. The balcony was pretty small with a couple of plastic chairs and a small table (I think). All rooms in the hotel, and I believe all indoor space, was non-smoking, which is a definite plus for me.

Staff:

Without exception, staff members at the Marriott were efficient, polite, and pleasant. I arrived before 3 pm and was checked in immediately, even though check-in time is 4 pm. They also extended my checkout from 12 pm to 1 pm and were helpful with the few other requests I had (directions, exchanging currency, calling a shop that had been closed another day when I tried to go there, and storing and retrieving my luggage after checking out until I had to leave for my flight).

Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.

• Liked — Beachfront location, beach bar/restaurant and necessary amenities
  • Disliked — High fees for telephone calls and internet usage
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

My wife and I just got back after staying a week at the Marriott. It's a small property compared to most of their other hotels, but it was very nice. A typical Marriott: Great staff, clean rooms, great location. Only one thing bothered me, no free internet. Note to Mr. Marriott...Even the Comfort Suites (by the way they're next door) has free internet in the lobby. Hotels at this level shouldn't charge for something so common everywhere else.
We had a room over looking the turtle cove. There are a few real ocean view rooms, but most are partial views and are up against another building. Get the full ocean view or stay in the garden view rooms. We loved the view. Turtles and lizards wandered around and were fun to watch. This was the first vacation where US dollars are worth less. Plus it is expensive. $5 Subway sandwiches are almost $10, $6 KFC chicken dinner is $12, etc. We loved the location and stayed on the beach everyday except the day we swam with the stingrays. Yes, you have to do this!
Overall, great time!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Free Internet
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

There were many good things about the Marriott Beach Resort and a few issues we encountered. The price of the room was great for the time of year. I guess their busy season down there is from December-April, FYI. You cannot complain when you are four steps away from the beach. That was awesome! We enjoyed their bar they had outside nightly and watched the sunset over the Carribean. They have an agency on site that will plan trips to Rum Point, Stingray City, etc and they can put it on the room bill. We tried three times to go out; however, the weather was not in our favor. The food was decent however, it is not cheap at all! Their rate is $0.80 to our $1.00. So we you see stuff for $40 on a menu, you are going to be paying $50 US. Plus they add in a 15% gratuity to EVERYTHING! You want coffee in the morning downstairs, it is $3.45 Cayman. Just brew the free stuff in the room. They have a condo place under construction next door in which they work Monday-Saturday 7a-5p. The staff, except for one night rocked! Every Friday they do a pirate themed buffett dinner for about $60/person and if you do not order booze, they will not refill your drinks. Also, with non-alcoholic drinks, ORDER WATER! If you want a soda or tea, and you get three refills, they charge you for four soft drinks. That was nuts to me!

It is within walking distance to a several restaurants and bars and shopping. I walked to Georgetown from there and it was about a 20-25 minute walk each way. Not bad at all. Its' location is great, only about $18 US for a taxi form the airport.

Overall, it was a nice hotel for the price. I would recommend it for honeymooning couples or couples. Very relaxed atmosphere down there! We will be coming back.

• Liked — On the Beach!
  • Disliked — Food is not cheap!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

We just got back from a week at the Marriott, here is the long and short of it.

The lobby is very nice as well as the rooms are decorated nicely. Our room was clean and it had a small fridge-no freezer. the pool is small, but with the ocean 10 steps away, we really didn't use it anyway.

The gym needs help, only one treadmill working, 2 bikes(rusty pedals), a stairclimber, free weights and a universal. It is in very tight quarters.

We had our 8 & 11 year old daughters with us. There is very little recreation for them, the kids club was really non-existent unless you presigned up for activites, which most of them had a fee. No pool aerobics, no music around the pool, very quiet resort. Kids menu was given to us one day and then suddenly they no longer had one available- that was quite annoying.

Food is very expensive- best buy, the kid's cheeseburger-$4.95, the hotdg is $5.95, lousy pizza $6.95, chix fingers $5.95

There is a daily happy hour at the beach bar from 4-7, $4 drinks, which vary by day- again, one day we were handed a happy hour drink list, after that, it did not exist.
We had 2 days of total rain and 4 days of complete clouds, no sun at all. We went to the butterfly farm- which gives you a pass to keep coming back as long as you are there, so go early in your stay- it ways really good!

There is no complimentary coffee in the lobby, but a coffee maker in your room, computers for a fee, but quite often you could get on just trying.
Best breakfast-Eats(across from the Westin)
Best dinner-Rolands Garden & ragazzi
Best spa- The Ritz absolutley heaven and worth every overpriced penny!!!
Best coffee- in the mall with the Fosters IGA on 7 mile beach way in the back- paper.....something.
We did captain Marvin's sting ray city 3 stop tour- the 2 snorkel stops were literally 100yds apart, but we did the 2pm tour and there was no one else at stingray city when we went there. Other than that, it was certainly not over the top in the way of service.

Finally, as far as the Marriott, if I found a really cheap deal for there, I would possibly stay there again, but I would price the Westin and Ritz first.

• Liked — large room
  • Disliked — better bathroom lighting
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Harvest, AL (near Huntsville)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

Took our kids and grandma to Grand Cayman for Fall Break 2008. The Marriott Resort Hotel on Seven Mile Beach was small, as far as "resort" hotels go, but it certainly served all our needs. We used our hotel points for our stay and the all-inclusive food & bev package.

Upon arrival, we were informed that the all-incl only applied to two adults and children 12 and under. Never saw that written anywhere when planning. So, my son ate elsewhere with grandma most of the time. The hotel food was absolutely fabulous! Make sure you get the frozen key lime pie -- to die for! If you don't want to spend the money on the hotel food, there is a Pizza Hut across the street. Next door to the PH is a gas station where you can buy sodas and water. (Rooms have a small fridge, so stock up!) The closest grocery store is a 20 min walk one-way. A few more businesses down the street is a Wendy's and further a Burger King. We also found out after we were there and wanting to go to dinner one evening, that one of the restaurants was closed for the season. Seems October is the absolutely lowest of the low season. Oh, there is a kid's menu that they typically fail to show you, so ask for it. It had things on it that us adults wanted (like waffles and pancakes).

If you want to rent a car, go across the street to Andy's (they're cheaper than Avis, which is in the hotel).

There is construction next door, but it didn't seem to bother us any. We had a courtyard view room on the 5th floor. Once I knew they had iguanas and turtles, I knew to keep an eye out. But, those small lizards with the curly tails would scamper across right in front of you as you walked.

There are computers in the lobby, but you have to pay for usage. However, if you hang around a little, you can catch someone as they leave and see if they had time left on their session that you can take advantage of.

The lobby also had several board games my kids enjoyed playing: checkers and chinese checkers.

The beach was not very deep, but enough for two rows of deck chairs. The Marriott has created an artificial reef right out from the hotel, so the snorkeling is fabulous. Tons of different types of fish. My kids response - that was cool!

The people at the hotel were very friendly and accommodating when we asked. We would probably stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The food and beach snorkeling
  • Disliked — Many activities limited due to low season.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort? Share your experiences!