“Fantastic resort............” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort

You added Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort to your Saves list
Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   389 West Bay Road | PO BOX 30371, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
MS
“Fantastic resort............”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

I've traveled all over the Carribean and "for -the-money", it is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at. The rooms were very nice (very tropical), clean, and very well maintained. Our room (1st floor) opened into the courtyard. It was a very lush area with turtles, parrots, and small iguanas. The staff was one of the nicest, most polite, most helpful of anywhere I've stayed. Grand Cayman is somewhat expensive in the area of meals. You can get drinks and snacks at a nearby grocery store and save. The beach at the resort was very well-kept, and the snorkeling just offshore was good.
All the staff (front desk, janitorial, waiters) greeted me with a smile and hello each time I saw one. I would definitely give this resort a "thumbs up"!

• Liked — it was very clean and tropical to fit the area theme
  • Disliked — area if expensive to stay at
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (933)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

We flew to Grand Cayman Island & stayed at the Marriott Beach Resort during spring break (don't go during spring break--Miami airport was a zoo on the way back home). The resort was very pretty, the staff friendly and the food was very good, though pricey. The resort has the best beachfront around with very little rock or coral. A manmade reef offshore cuts down on waves making for easy swimming and a great place for snorkeling. Drinks and food are served to you on the beach, if you'd like. Beach chairs are sometimes hard to find. Too many people grab them early in the morning & then disappear for hours! There is 'beach security' to cut down on chair poaching from neighboring hotels.

Red Sail Sports is located onsite & is the place to visit for all water sports and excursions. Don't miss Stingray City, Sea Turtle Farm or the Atlantis trips to view ship wreck & marine life.

The island of Grand Cayman is not what I would call 'beautiful'. It is rather flat and made of limestone. But, it is more cosmopolitan than many other islands in the Caribbean & suffers less poverty. There are many fun things to do and if you like shopping definately visit George Town with its shops and little places to eat. We especially liked Jimmy Buffet's Marguaritaville restaurant.

The island has many shuttle busses and taxi cabs constantly running along Seven Mile Beach. To get out to the Eastern end, however, you need to rent a car since busses don't travel that way. We never made it out to Elizabeth Park & the Blue Iguanas because of this. We visited Rum Point for lunch after Stingray City. It was Easter Sunday & jam-packed with other hungry tourists!

Being only about one & a half hours flying time from Miami, it is close to the continental USA.

The Texaco station just north & across the street has nice, inexpensive souveniers, snacks & bottled drinks. Also, visit the Aqua Beach Restaurant right near there, too.

• Liked — Hotel room and the beach
  • Disliked — Food prices and exchange rate on the US dollar. Very small and busy excerise room.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

STAFF - Freindly, everyone always said "Hi' when crossing out path.
HOTEL GROUNDS - Well manicured. Not a big resort property. Size is more comprable to a Courtyard.
BEACH - Beach is great. Calm water, rental for water sports at property, snorkeling right in from. (Real reef damaged during hurricant Ivan and has synthetic reef) Still lots of fish...saw a Barracuda and Stingray (farther out by the buoys). If you are gonna snorkel buy your gear at home for $30 instead of renting for $15 a day. Easy to get a chair when I went late after noon. Really nice to have umbrellas available!
PARKING - Excellent, no trouble parking at anytime,no theft that I am aware of.
ROOM - Requested a King bed but got 2 doubles. Not to thrilled about this. We were given the option to wait till a Kind opened up as we arrived at 1:00pm and official check in time was 4:00pm. We had been up for about 1.5 days straight travelling and just wanted to sleep so we werent about to wait 3 more hours. They did upgrade us from no view to a garden view, which wasnt so bad after all but i would have preferred to get the King bed I requested. When I checked in they told me I was upgraded to a garden view and that I had 2 double beds (like this is what I requested) which I had even emailed them to tell them I wanted a King bed on top of it being with my initial request. A little sneaky. Faucet in room 515 squeeled constantly but we just shut the door I told them at check out, otherwise fine.
FOOD - Didn't eat at hotel as I heard via tripadvisor that it was expensive and not very good. Never found anything spectacular. Cimboco across the street and behind the gas station was my favorite.
DRINKS - Mai Tai $9.51 US ($8.00 CI) at hotel. Happy hour 4-7 eg 2 for 1 Margaritas for 5.00 CI = $6.00 US
MONEY - Cayman Islands money is also a dollar. Each Cayman Island (A.K.A. CI) dollar is worth only .80 in US dollars, although there is no sales tax. Just pay attention when buying things as things are listed in CI and US dollars.
INTERNET - 4 days $53 US dollars, WIFI in room was pretty good.
DRIVING - Rented Toyota Vitz from Dollar rent a car at the airport for 6 days for $182. Right hand drive car and have to drive on left side of the road. Pays to have a good copilot as this is the first time I have driven on the left. Felt safe driving all over the island., although other drivers probably did not with my driving!
ALCOHOL - It is expensive to buy drinks and expensive to buy alcohol buy the bottle. Bring your own bottle of something and mix it with some juice from the store. Exp. Malibu Rum in US $16 Malibu Rum in Cayman $35 US - Same bottle!!!!
SNORKELING - We snorkeled everyday and saw something new everyday. There are reefs near shore everywhere and parking is not difficult and felt pretty safe parking car and leaving it while I was in the water, unlike when in Aruba.

• Liked — Friendly and professional staff, cleanliness
  • Disliked — pool... I really like extravagant pools. Also drinks are too expensive.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edgewater, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

What I liked most about Grand Cayman Marriott was the calm and slow paced ambiance that was incredibly relaxing. Probably since it was the low season there weren't many people in the resort, so it was easy to find chairs and umbrellas on the beach and by the pool, a place in the jacuzzi, no need to make reservations in restaurants.

I reserved a room in the lowest price category and upon checking I got a room that faced construction. The noise woke us up at 7 AM; moreover the workers Ire right outside the room and stared at us. It took 2 days to get a room on the other side of the hotel. Rooms overall Ire spacious, clean, with large bathrooms and comfortable beds. It felt like rooms Ire recently renovated. They also had very pleasant Orange and Ginger body wash and shampoos.

The beach at the property is great. The water was very clear, and there was plenty of colorful fish. Right in front of the Marriott there are reefs that offer excellent snorkeling, but then the area in front of the neighboring Regal Beach Club is just perfect for lazying. There are feIr shells on the shore then elsewhere on the beach and the sea bottom is powdery soft sand. Also, unlike on many Caribbean islands, there are no vendors pushing their merchandise.

The pool was smaller than in most other hotels I stayed in, but not many people used it. The water was very warm, nice on colder rainy days.

On most days I ate breakfast at the Red Parrot restaurant. The buffet was pricey at US $25 a person, but there was a nice variety with good selection of fresh fruit, pastries and smoothies among other food. Very elegant china and silverware!

I had dinner at Solana restaurant twice and found that among all restaurants around it had the least variety and smallest selection of wine by the glass. There are plenty of other places to each breakfast, lunch and dinner within a short walk of the hotel; the best dinner of all was at Cafe Med. I also had the "Lobster and all you can eat shrimp" dinner at Solana, and it turned out that lobster was also "all you can eat".

The construction next door didn't bother me, since I stayed on the other side of the hotel (that's where the great section of the beach was too). There is an Avis car rental agency in the hotel, so I rented a car and drove to other places of interest. The traffic was not intense, and it was easy to get around. Overall I really liked the Marriott and would definitely recommend staying there. High quality, definitely very relaxing vacation!

• Liked — The beach, the room, breakfast at Red Parrott, not crowded
  • Disliked — Dinner at Solana
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

We stayed here for the long Memorial Day Weekend (Thurs-Mon)Before booking this hotel I read all the reviews for all the hotels in SMB and I have to agree with most reviewers----This hotel is by far one of the best in the area. We arrived at noon, well before check in time, and yet they were able to get us a room right away. All guests are greeted with a glass of champagne, which is a great way to begin a vacation. The room had a comfortable king size bed and the courtyard view was very pleasant. The bathroom is a nice size and they even supply you with two luxurious robes.

The beach is nice although there are quite a few large rocks on the ocean floor. And if you swim a bit out there's a nice reef for snorkeling. There was plenty of beach chairs w/ umbrellas and the waitress came around every so often getting us food and drinks. I'm not a pool person so I can't comment on it. Maid service was good and timely and the concierge was very helpful.

For breakfast I would strongly suggest NOT eating in the hotel (red parrot restaurant). It's pricey and the food is not that great. I do recommend going across the street to Cimboco's---very yummy. We never ate dinner there, so again I can't comment, but the lunch on the beach was also good--burgers, salads, sandwiches, etc.

On Sunday we did the couples massage in the spa and although the therapists were GREAT, the service could have been better. Now I am a little picky in this area since I have been to some great spas (in Miami) and I look at everything down to the sheets used to cover up. Don't get me wrong, get the massage, it was good but I'm used to a little more pampering.

Overall we had a great time and would definitely return.

• Liked — Beachfront
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

The hotel is located on the beach, near the southern part of 7 mile beach. There are artificial reefs just off the shore that are an easy swim and provides great snorkel viewing of a variety of fish.

The room (#469) had a view of the courtyard. It had a king size bed and a large bathroom. The room had a small fridge and a safe. The room itself had plenty of room for myself.

This hotel is a 30 minute walk into Georgetown (or a 9 Cayman dolllar cab ride)

We walked a few blocks to Big Daddy's Liquor store to get our drinks to have on the beach ( a lot cheaper than what they charged at the hotel)

Overall the hotel is very nice.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Prices
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

I booked a rate of $128 a night and when I got there they jacked it up to $260 and no apology. In addition there was going to be no power on the day I was to get married. You think they would let you know that kind of stuff in advance.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort? Share your experiences!