“Marriott on Seven Mile Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort to your Saves list
Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   389 West Bay Road | PO BOX 30371, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Canton, Michigan
“Marriott on Seven Mile Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed here with my 17 year old son on a scuba vacation. The staff were without exception friendly and helpful. The property is very nice, with all the amenities required for a first class vacation. We were able to take care of all our dive booking at the Red Sail Sports desk on site, and the snorkeling off the beach on the reef balls was a lot of fun; just look out for the sea urchins.

The rooms are standard Marriott; if you've stayed in one you'll recognize these; nice but nothing especially memorable. The only clue you aren't sleeping in Detroit or Chicago is the tropical art on the walls. The pool/hot tub deck isn't especially roomy, and neither is the beach, but is nicely done and never felt crowded.

There is easy access to shops and restaurants along West Bay Road, and we even caught the Cayman Bus up to the Turtle Farm one afternoon when we took a break from diving. I need to especially compliment the front of the house staff; we never walked in our out without seeing a smiling face and a friendly hello. Nelson explained the bus service and got us pointed in the right direction, and was very helpful getting a cab scheduled to get us to the airport for our early morning flight home. Julie at the breakfast bar remembered us every morning, and made sure that we had everything we needed.

The food at the restaurants was very good, but nothing so memorable that I'd recommend a special trip to eat here.

As is everything on Grand Cayman, it is a bit pricy, but that is to be expected. Paying for internet access always annoys me though; when we stay at Fairfield Inns on family road trips, breakfast and internet are included for less than $100/night per room. Though I'm paying more than $300/night here with all the fees and taxes, I can (almost) rationalize $25 for bagels and juice at breakfast. But $60 for internet access for 5 days gets my goat (yes, I realize I'm on vacation in the Caribbean and shouldn't be wasting time on the web, but I do like to make Facetime calls to family and read my local paper in the morning).

Internet charges and the food are are what makes this a "Very Good" rating instead of "Excellent."

Room Tip: We had a room along the ground floor, facing the courtyard near the lobby, and heard a lot of traffi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Grand Cayman M, Director of Rooms Operations at Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Pete G, I would like to thank you for the kind comments you made on the caring service provided by Nelson and Julie. I will share your comments with them as feedback such as yours encourages them to continue striving for service excellence. Thank you again for sharing your comments and we look forward to serving you well again.
Director of Rooms Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice property in a great location - end of the beach but an en walk to nicer parts of the beach and close to town. Stay here but don't eat here - food and service are better elsewhere. Good base for the visitor that will be off exploring all Cayman has to offer.

• Stayed June 2013
Grand Cayman M, Director of Food and Beverages at Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Johnseidl, Thank you for sharing your feedback. I agree with you we are in a prime location on Seven Mile Beach and very close to George Town, I truly regret we did meet your expectations regarding food and service , I apologize for the inconveniences and I hope that in the future we will be able to serve you again and leave a different impression on you. Should you decide to visit this beautiful island again, kindly let me know.
Nicolas Marzioni
Director of Food and Beverages
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Very clean room and the more upmarket restaurant on the beach was very good.

Was quite expensive for what it was though. Pool/beach area is nice but way too busy. Rooms are small and a bit non-descript. Took forever to provide our room on arrival.

Nothing really wrong but I expected more.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear JPandJen, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your valuable feedback about your recent stay at our Hotel; I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food at the Solana Restaurant. I hope you had the opportunity to try our Buccaneers Feast night as is the most popular Them Night in our Restaurant. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Nicolas Marzioni
Director of Food and Beverages
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Booked a week's vacation through CheapCaribbean.com. The room was clean, roomy enough for three and in very good condition. The beds were of high quality comforters, furniture was heavy wood, and in room safe and refrigerator were in good working condition, and the TV was a 37" LED. Nothing to complain about here.

People who write that the hotel is old and dinghy, must not travel through the caribbean often. You must keep the AC blowing at 70* to keep the dampness out of your room. The facility is of Marriott quality, for an established property. The beach is clean and has plenty of lounge chairs and shade for everyone, no extra charge for umbrellas like some resorts. The pool is an average size, and is close to the beach. There are some really fun floats out in the water and snorkeling is a nice touch around the man made reefs.

The staff was the most friendly we have ever experienced in any Caribbean resort. Pablo checked us in and worked his magic to get us a Rewards Member room upgrade, and Courtney had our bags in our room before we got there. Anne served us lunch (awesome pizza) and our first island drinks, in the lobby - with a smile and a glad your here with us attitude. Julie had my coffee and fresh banana ready each morning I came down, greeted me by name, and compared places we have both lived/worked as "citizens of the world". Rachel and Rod kept the poolside drinks flowing, as the other Courtney (poolside) provided some island history and recommendations for excursions and restaurants. The Mgmt staff is to be commended for their leadership and ability to keep exceptional quality team members.

We would have no issue with staying there again.

Room Tip: There are only a few "ocean front rooms" and are priced higher. If you are only there to s...
Oldsmar, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We just came back from vacationing at this property and were really glad we chose it. The hotel has a great pool and beach area, but also has an artificial Reef right behind the hotel! Great for snorkeling!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to face the beach...it's worth it! And bring your own snorkeling gear, se...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Erick S, Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We value your comments and happy to hear you had a wonderful stay. With the combination of the reef balls for snorkeling and the warm crystal clear water right off the property, makes our the Hotel the best place to be on Seven Mile Beach. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back for another awesome stay.
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

After reading some of the reviews on here I was a little skeptical before we went to the Marriott Grand Cayman. This was the first trip we've been on to the beach since our honeymoon 7 years ago, and we wanted it to be nice. However, any doubts quickly faded away once we got there and were greeted by the nicest staff, and most beautiful scenery. We had a very early flight, so I expected our room not to be ready when we got there. We simply changed into our swim suits in the bathroom, then checked our luggage with the bell man, who locked it in the luggage room, and we headed to the beach until our room was ready. The beach is immaculate, and we really enjoyed the free umbrellas & chairs, as well as the floats our in the water. The staff is very attentive.

I will agree with some of the reviews that the food at the resort is ridiculously expensive, but we kind of expected that. So the evening of our first day there, we walked (about 10-15 mins) to the grocery store, and filled up our backpack with food like peanut butter & jelly, bread, cheese & crackers, nuts, fruit, etc. There is a mini fridge in the room, so that helps. We ate breakfast in our room everyday, and lunch most days. It saved us so much money!!! Plus my husband has celiac, so he is gluten free, so the grocery option made it a lot easier for us. I was impressed with the gluten free selection at the grocery store.

On a sidenote: when we arrived we had only paid for the "island view", which means no view, but we were upgraded to an ocean view. What a nice surprise. The hotel had everything you really need, and the gardens are beautiful. I didn't see the Ritz, but I have to believe that the Marriott has the nicest beach around. Seriously gorgeous! I have no complaints about this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mandy M, Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments; I am delighted to know that we were able to make your vacation great and a memorable one. The famous Seven Mile Beach is indeed beautiful with its warm crystal blue waters which guests have come to love and enjoy the amazing sunset, we appreciate your comments and we hope it does not take you seven more years to come back to Grand Cayman, looking forward to serving you again. Sincerely,
Lake Charles, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just returned from Grand Cayman on June 13th & we loved this hotel!!! Saw a few bad reviews before we went but we went with friends that stayed at the Marriott before. In my opinion there was nothing to complain about. The hotel was beautiful & every staff member we came into contact with was very nice & helpful if we needed anything. The beach area was not huge but it was nice & we always found a chair. They even have a guy that comes around & puts up umbrellas if you want one. I liked the fact that the hotel was not huge because I don't want to walk for 10 minutes to get to the lobby or beach. You can even snorkel right off the beach in front of the hotel. I would definitely stay here again. We ate breakfast across the street at Coconut Joes & Cimboco both were good & good prices!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor and had a view of the Comfort suites next door. It was fine there but I w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Clquebodeaux, , I would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your valuable feedback, I am happy to hear that you enjoy you stay with us, is unfortunate you did not try our breakfast buffet or la carte at the Red Parrot restaurant as we receive many positive feedbacks. Thank you again for sharing your comments and we look forward to serving you well again.
Director of Rooms Operations

Been to Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort? Share your experiences!