“bucaneer feast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort

You added Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort to your Saves list
Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   389 West Bay Road | PO BOX 30371, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Barryville, New York
“bucaneer feast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

went to the feast 2 years ago with my wife while staying at sunshine suites and found it to be well worth the money.the food was excellent and a very wide variety ofseafood ,sushi,jerk ,salads and meats.this year we decided to stay at the marriott with a party of 5 family members and decided we would go to the feast on our last night,WHAT A MISTAKE.first upon walking in the flies on all the food was unbeleivable.the selection of food was substantially less,no sushi ,very little seafood and everything was infested with flies.the quality of the food was seriously much ,much worse than the first time we were there.the only thing that improved was the price.i do have to say that after complaining to the manager he took off 50 percent of th bill ,but for the 190.00it cost their are a lot better retaurants that you can feed five people for the same price at a much better quality.

Room Tip: go to sunshine suites.thats where we will be staying next time
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (931)
Solon, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This property has a great location on Seven Mile Beach. Nestled between some condo/time shares, the property has excellent beach access and a very good and friendly staff. Rooms are average...nothing special, but clean....ours had a slight mold smell from time to time, usually when the A/C was turned to 66....but it was not overwhelming. This location appears to host a lot of company functions.....there were a couple private events while we were there. Free internet in the lobby and daily rate is $12.95 for 24 hours. The pool is small and simple. The online promotional photos look a bit better than the actual pool. Service at the pool for drinks appeared to be a problem for many people....I also read some reviews that said the same thing...the bar to order is only about 30 feet away from the pool so you can still get drinks and food very close by. The beach access is great and you can lounge there too. There are floats and lounge platforms available (first come, first serve) in the ocean....they are great to lounge on. TIP: They are available all night as well and the pool and ocean area are typically available until 11pm.....I recommend floating on the ocean at night and listening to the entertainment on land.......the ocean and pool are not crowded at night and it was a great experience for my wife and I. They hosted a wedding and reception on the beach when we were there as well.....it was pretty well done and the 75 + guests I saw all appeared to be well taken care of. There is a great open water area in the atrium that has lounge swings, chairs and turtles floating around...very cool. The ocean view rooms overlook the pool so be prepared for a little night time noise until about 10pm or 1pm on some nights. Overall, a good property that deserves a solid 4 stars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman in late May for a week and it was one of the best vacations we've been on. We have been to Kona, Maui, Tortola, Aruba, and Playa del Carmen but overall this vacation was the best. We had beautiful weather the entire trip. It rained only one morning but was done by 8:00. The hotel staff was very helpful and extremely friendly throughout our stay. We felt like we even got to know them as the week went on. The food at the restaurants was good. However we were disappointed that the restaurant by the beach / pool area didn't offer breakfast. We enjoyed the ocean views in the mornings and wished we could do so with a cup of coffee. There are also a few restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

The hotel is at the southern end of seven mile beach and the beach is a bit narrow, but it is quite and peaceful. There are some floating rings in the ocean that allow you to layout in a shallow pool of water and enjoy the views up the beach. Some reviews talk about the good snorkeling in front of the hotel. While there are some fish but little to no coral at this man made reef.

If you rent a car definitely go to Georgetown and snorkel in front of Paradise Point restaurant at Eden Rock. There is a ladder to enter the water at the restaurant. There are many large tarpon (fish) here because people feed them, but don't worry they will not bother you. If you swim out about 150 yards you will see huge coral formations and lots of fish. The visibility is incredible at about 100 feet. We also snorkeled at Cemetery Beach, although good it wasn't as good as Eden Rock but the beach there is beautiful white sand.

Stingray city can be a fun tour. We rented jet skis and rode out to the sandbar to see the sting rays before going to a snorkel spot and then to starfish point. This tour was worth the $150 for the 2.5 hrs or so we were gone. When we arrived at stingray city we were one of only 3 small groups there and had a great time feeding the stingrays.

Room Tip: Get out of the room and enjoy your vacation! The room is just a place to lay your head :)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

A business trip to Grand Cayman, on which my wife was accompanying me, had me scrambling on short notice to get a hotel room in this woefully under-supplied market. My first two choices, the Ritz-Carlton and Westin, were both sold out. I thought I was fortunate to get all four nights in one hotel, the Marriott. And then we arrived.

Despite a lot of emailing with the hotel when a junior suite became available for all four nights, avoiding the need to change rooms in the middle of our stay, the front desk totally botched the reservation and our king-bed junior suite became a twin-bed junior suite, because it had been given away to an earlier arriving guest. Twin beds would not do for all four nights but there was no alternative on the first night. To address the inconvenience, the front desk offered us a complimentary dinner in the bar (that is, not from the main menu or in the main restaurant). We later found those charges on our bill and it took a round of wrangling for it to be removed. Then the Internet didn’t work properly. Those charges were supposed to be reversed also and, of course, were not without the same need to go through another round of negotiations.

For our further inconvenience, we were offered a full suite but at the junior suite rate, in other words, no concessions or adjustment for all the problems, not even for the first night when we got the wrong room. Only a prolonged discussion with the general manager resulted in a generous (but fair under the circumstances) adjustment to the total bill.

Apart from the chaotic service, the rooms are tired and the entire hotel feels like a medium-quality motel rather than the five-star hotel they bill themselves as, and bill their guests as. It does no good to tell a disappointed guest that the hotel will be undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation. What does that do for this guest on their stay at these unsupported rates? The fact is that the hotel is not the elegant Ritz-Carlton or the newly-renovated beachy Westin. And even then, money alone cannot fix the poor service (how about housekeeping at 4 pm, blaring music from the bar at 6:45 am and food orders completely forgotten?).

Unless you must stay here, the hotel is best avoided, pre- and post-reno.

Room Tip: We were guided by other Trip Advisor reviewers when originally picking our room location. We avoided...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our staff at the Marriott in Grand Cayman was beautiful. Access to the pool, restaurant and beach were very easy. The staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way to help us with anything we needed. I loved the lagoon in the center of the resort and enjoyed watch the turtles.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Overpriced with little amenities. Hotel restaurants food is subpar and the service is horrible. We waited over a 1/2 hour for food and it was terrible but we ate it because it was late and there was nowhere else to go. If we visit again we will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013
midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Cayman Marriott about 2 years ago and was looking forward to our stay at the end of May. The attraction for us is the man-made reef that the Marriott has just steps off the beach. They also added some floating chairs and trampoline type floaters near the reef which are nice.

Unfortunately the problems started as soon as we arrived. At check in we were informed that our room wasn't ready and it would be about 10 min or so. Seemed rather strange since we arrived after 4pm. After about 20 min we headed up to our Jr. Suite. Upon stepping into the room we noticed a bad smell as if someone had been smoking cigars. So I figure, ok, I can deal with that. We'll open the sliding door and air it out.

Next, we headed straight for the beach and pool area. I set my chair up and was anxious to order a drink and a snack. I waited and waited. Finally I went to the bar area and asked if they had pool side service. The bartender informed me that they stop serving pool side at 5pm. No big deal really I thought. I'll sit at the bar and eat. I didn't have a problem getting my food and drink but my husband wanted to order a beer and couldn't get waited on because they were so busy. He finally walked away disgruntled without a beer. For dinner we ordered room service and they forgot 2 of the items that we ordered. So again, I think, things happen. No big deal.

The next day we did have a nice breakfast at Red Parrot. That was the one bright spot.

Again, we headed to the beach and pool area to spend the day snorkeling and swimming. My daughter and I got into the pool and realized that there were cigarette butts, bugs, and plastic cellophane floating around in the pool. So I start scooping the stuff out and and this point I'm thinking that we haven't been here 24 hours yet and we have had so many issues and that we really weren't enjoying ourselves. Also, there were no wait staff by the pool area again to take orders. I called the Ritz Carlton to make reservations and really glad I did!

When my husband explained that we were checking out they were very apologetic and asked what they could do to keep us there. Nothing of course.

This will be the last time that I ever consider staying at this property again. It's really starting to show its age. It truly needs to be updated! The last time we vacationed there the Marriott had a small bar next to the pool so you didn't have to go so far to get a drink. (remember, no one to take your order). That was gone. The only part of it remaining was a wooden platform. So sad. This was a nice place. It has turned into more of a self service type hotel and when we're on vacay we want to be waited on.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort? Share your experiences!