“Great Beach Hotel Close to Georgetown” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort to your Saves list
Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   389 West Bay Road | PO BOX 30371, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Great Falls, VA
“Great Beach Hotel Close to Georgetown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Spent the week prior to Easter at this hotel. It is small for a resort Marriott - this is not a mega resort. The lobby and rooms were up to date. The beach is narrow, only room for 3 rows of beach chairs between the seawall and the water. The reef off the hotel is nice, although on rough days you do not want to be near it - it's only about a foot under water. The restaurants were standard Marriott fare - breakfast buffet was plentiful at Red Parrot. Although I was told it was high season, the hotel did not feel crowded, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The place way spotlessly clean, and the courtyard between the towers was very nice.

Nearby restaurants Coconut Joe's (across the street), XQ's, and Fidel Murphy's (toward GT, about 5 minute walk) were all good and very casual. If you want to head to GT for dinner, La Dolce Vita and Casanova's were both excellent. There's a grocery store towards GT (Kirk's) if you need supplies. GT closes up at 5PM, so if you plan on shopping, you need to get there midday.

If you plan on doing anything other than laying on the beach, you will want a car for at least part of your stay. There is an agency in the lobby (Avis) and another across the street (Andy's). If you are there to snorkel, I recommend Cemetery Beach and Smith Cove - both excellent. A field trip to Rum Point/Starfish Point either by car or on a boat is very nice.

2,610 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (729)
Wakefield, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Both the property and the service are fine. The major issue is with the front desk. They were supposed to credit me $200 as part of my package. They claimed they didn't have that in their records. After I wrote several times they finally "found" the record. It was totally annoying and now I am fighting them to get my nights credited. I will have to contact the legal department as they claim that I booked my package through a third party (even though I did it through Marriott.com). I would not go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I've waited awhile to write this review in hopes that the Marriott would be helpful in resolving a theft from my room, but nothing has happened. We travel quite frequently all over the world and have never had anythihg stolen from our room, so this was the first time anything like this has ever happened. I will have to say that the trip itself was very good. The room and the food at the resort were excellent. The big problem was appears to be the managerment (which is huge) and the way they handle problems.

I usually never take good jewelry when I travel and always use the safety deposit box to store my valuables. I slipped this time on the first day I arrived and left a necklace on the dresser. We were excited to get there and anxious to get on the beach. I had brought a necklace worth $450, and not thinking, and left it out. When we came back to the room, it was gone. I really thought maybe I was mistaken and hadn't brought it since we had put everything else away, but did look for it when we left and throughout the week. I didn't report it because I really thought either it would show up or I had made a mistake and didn't want to wrongly accuse anyone. When I arrived home, it wasn't in my jewelry box and I knew it really had be stolen. I immediatly called the hotel and it was several days and repeated calls before I heard from anyone. I talked to someone in security who had someone from their insurance company call me. Ultimately, they said they had no liability because I didn't use the safety deposit box and didn't call right away. Although I know this is logical, there are no signs saying it's required to use the box and you shouldn't have to worry about that in a hotel like the Marriott. . I never received even an apology from the hotel, much less a refund for the price of the necklace or even points or coupons for a future stay at a Marriott.

The true test of any hotel is how they handle issues that come up. The Marriott in Grand Cayman failed. I would go to Grand Cayman but will never stay at this property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ejcdjc@chartermi.net
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Grand Cayman is a beautiful island with crystal clear water, unbelievable weather, and warm and wonderful people. The Marriott Hotel Staff is no exception. They were friendly, helpful and made our vacation one that we will always remember. Special thanks go to Natalie who waited on us every morning in the Red Parrot (restaurant), and treated us like family. Eloisa and Anna greeted (Hostesses) us each morning at the Red Parrot with friendly smiles, and made sure we were seated in our preferred seats in Natalie's station. The Omelet Man in the restaurant (older gentleman) was also great. Nelson and Brando (Bell Boys) always looked out for us, and made sure we never opened up a door or had to call for a cab. Then there is Miss Sunshine (Lorna) who cleaned our room each day, and made sure we had enough supplies, especially refilling our coffee as often as we needed it. Davina, the concierge, is also one of the best concierges I have had the pleasure of dealing with. Then there is Carlos and Ingrid who were unbelievable!!! Ingrid (Director of Rooms Operation) made sure we had the best possible room accommodations, and Carlos (Food and Beverage Supervisor) made us feel like we were special and treated us like part of his family.

Will we return? You can count on it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We chose Cayman for our annual October holiday (wife and 4 children).
We had never been to Cayman before and booked without much research.
As a "number one fan" of the JW brand, we chose the Beach Resort - of course!
We had the most amazing holiday and whilst there celebrated my wife's 40th and the staff were amazing in providing surprises and supporting our family.
I note that some guests have commented on the cost and even the beach. Here's my view on this:
1. if cost/price is a problem - don't come to Cayman. It is expensive, but the trade off is no hawkers, little/no crime. So if you can't afford it then enjoy being hassled elsewhere.
2. the beach, yes it is narrow, but walk along the beach to somewhere wider. We were there when Tropical Storm Sandy brewed, the beach was replaced with sea-weed. Some guest complained - why??? just see what it did to NYC and put it into perspective.

Good things:
1. Lobster night - just do it, you won't regret it
2. Attentive staff, from the kids club right the way through from restaurants to front desk / concierge . Here's a couple of examples. Catherine in the kids club entertained my youngest most mornings with pirate wars to animal treks (or did India entertain Catherine?!)
I commented one evening that my choices for wine were not available. This put the hotel in overdrive to make up for the omission. I didn't seek nor expect a resolution, bit the attentive nature of Restaurant Manager Bernal meant that this tiny issue had to be resolved to more than I could have expected.
The guys on the front door are amazing and have that knack of remembering your name - unlike me now! They know who they are and and are so important.

Anyway, a great holiday, a great place and true Marriott service. thank you all, even if my report is a little late!
PS my children want to know when we are going back to Cayman!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Rexford, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The staff was excellent and provided excellent service for our entire stay. Be prepared for the $12 vodka drinks, $30 breakfast buffet, $30 cab rides to go 2 miles, $9 beers, etc. The resort was very clean and, again, the staff was exemplary. We had a great time, but check out was sticker-shocking.

Room Tip: If you don't want to pay too much for breakfast, go across the street to Cimboco. Awesome food...