“Great view, disappointing beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cocoplum Condos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seven Mile Beach
Cocoplum Condos
Snooze Lane, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman   |
Benton, Kentucky
“Great view, disappointing beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to the Cayman Islands (and our favorite place ever). The first time we stayed in a hotel and this trip we decided to rent a condo. I found Cocoplum Number 1 which was a reasonable price, great location and had a beautiful view. The condo was a little dated but had everything we needed. The beach was disappointing because quite frankly, there isn't much of one. If you have children, they won't be playing in the sand here. When we went to the pool it was quite green and definitely not worthy of a swim. I emailed the owner and he had the pool service out to to care of it right away. We had lovely neighbors, everyone in the Caymans are so friendly. I read on another review about a maid service and our neighbors mentioned it as well. We never had a maid show up (which was fine) and never saw a property manager. Had to ask a residents nanny where to throw our trash as there was no information at the condo. We had a great trip and have a list of things we'd like to do for our next trip back. Would we stay at Cocoplum again? No. I don't think there was one night that my husband and I weren't hot while sleeping. The living room area would freeze you out but the bedrooms were hot and we didn't sleep well at all. Loved the view, didn't like the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

5 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed 6 nights at Cocoplum Number One (4/3 - 4/9) in Grand Cayman. Me, my wife and 2 girls, ages 16 and 13 went for our annual Spring Break family vacation. First, this has got to be one of, if not the closest condo to the ocean in all of Seven Mile Beach (SMB). You can literally throw a rock from the back patio into the water. This made the view from the condo second to none! The pictures do not do it justice. Literally breathtaking! The condo lies on the south end of SMB just north of Georgetown so you can watch the cruise ships come and go each day (and they come pretty close). You will also get to be friends with the many lizards that roam the grounds. Also there is a fairly small, although nice, heart-shaped pool which we had to ourselves for most of the week. The condo itself is just over 30 years old and it shows a little bit. Look, it ain't the Ritz-Carlton, but for around $260 a night, you get all the essentials and the best view on the island!

Here's the down side: the beach can be very rocky (iron shore) with some pretty large rocks and you will not find an abundance of sugar white sand along this strip of beach like you can further north in the heart of SMB. Be sure to bring water shoes in order to protect your feet from some of the rocky shore when entering the water. If you are someone who wants soft, sugary white sand, this would not be the area for you. However, if you love to snorkel and see some incredible sea life just outside your door, then Cocoplum is your choice. My kids and I saw some baby stingrays literally 15 feet from the shore when snorkeling as well as a vast array of beautifully colored fish, crab, coral, shells and all kinds of cool stuff! It really is a different world just under the surface of the water and only a few feet from your backyard. You are also within walking distance from some good restaurants although I would say the best restaurants are still more towards the heart of SMB. We did enjoy XQ's for excellent dinner (the margarita pizza was especially awesome!). You can also walk south towards Georgetown to Kirk's Supermarket to load up on food while you are there. We did that the day we arrived, buying $250 US ($200 CI) worth of food which took care of most breakfasts and lunches while we were there, saving us a lot of money during the week. Howard (the owner) has stocked the kitchen with all the essentials: pots, pans, plates, glasses, etc. Finally, we did the following and we highly recommend that you do these things too: Stingray City (this is a MUST DO - Incredible is all I can say!), Turtle Farm (our kids loved holding the many turtles), and rent a car and go to Rum Point and Starfish Point while you are there (eat at Kaibo on the beach). At Starfish Point, our kids found starfish and many beautiful conch shells; see pictures. This is about a 45 minute drive but well worth it. Overall, we had an awesome time in Grand Cayman and Cocoplum Number One, just make sure you bring beach shoes and a lot of money as there is nothing cheap on the island!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

First of all I am a little bias while writing a review for these condos, as I know one of the owners; but with that being said I did not get a discount on the condo, I paid in full like everyone else.

I was 18 when I went there and as were the three other people that came with me. One of the parents of one of the my traveling companions was on the island but at a different resort. Which turned out to come a in handy.

The first thing that we encountered was trying to get a taxi from the airport to the Condo.. cost us 50 bucks for one way! so make a not to your self if you are coming to the caymans bring a lot of money. When the cab driver dropped us off at the back of the Condos it was a little hard to find the office but we eventually did and we met dona the property manager, she could not have been more pleasant, she even helped us book a trip to sting ray city which I highly recommend.

We stayed in condo 5 which was very nice compared to the other one that we visited next to us, washer and dryer in the unit which came in handy for the towels and swimsuits that you will use everyday :). The grounds were very well kept and the palm trees were wrapped in christmas lights which was kind of cool at night, the ocean is literally 20 feet out your door. pros and cons about the beach.. for the price that you pay for this condo it is pretty nice, the sand is white, but it is rocky.. I HIGHLY recommend that you bring water shoes or something because there are urchins EVERYWHERE on the rocks and they will hurt if you so much as touch them. Now with that being said; the rocky beach and the urchins were the only downfall of the beach. The snorkeling right around the condo was absolutely fabulous! fish everywhere and about 100 yards to the right they have a sunken ship that is really easy to get to and has an abundance of colorful fish. the water is relatively shallow the whole way there, never going above 10 feet which is nice, needless to say we snorkeled every day that we were there.

Maid service was only every other day when we were there, didnt bother us at all; but I guess it might for some, like I said we only saw two condos and one was def better than the other, but neither one was dated or run down by any means and they all have two bedrooms and two bathrooms. It also said that they had wifi, which they did, about 20% of the time, annoying but you shouldnt be on your computer on vacation anyway ;)

A downfall of this unit is that it says that its on seven mile beach... which it really isnt. and if you are staying here I would recommend that you rent a car cause you are a little distance from the center of george town.

All in all, we had a fabulous time while we stayed at cocoplum, and would stay there again in a heart beat, but being that we are from Minnesota it costs us about 800 bucks just to get to grand cayman.. so it might have to wait a few years.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

When u travel from the other side of the world to get a piece of carribean paradise, one can be a tad diappointed when u come face to face with a rocky beach! and im afraid thats the major downside to this condo. That all said one is not paying top dollar here, so you get what you pay for, but as were in the middle of a reccession it would be prudent to check and negotiate with other condos just slightly up the beach on real pure carribean sand. I was also slightly annoyed that it was marketed as LUXURY, unfortunatly this is not the case, as if it was luxury I would expect a clean warm swimming pool, daily maid service, good wifi access, and 24 hour condo maintenance service. Im afraid whilst one day I would like to return to Grand Cayman as the weather and people are fab it wont be at Cocoplum.

• Liked — Cost!
  • Disliked — The beach
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cocoplum Condos? Share your experiences!