“Excellent Stingray City Tour” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Captain Marvin's

Captain Marvin's
Seven Mile Beach Road | Cayman Falls Shopping Center, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman
345-945-6975
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 60 years in business, Captain Marvin's Watersports are the original stingray-friendly watersports company on the island.We are delighted to show you the wonders of Stingray City, as well as beautiful coral formations, colorful fish and sea life with our world-famous crew helping you all the way. Experience the tour of a lifetime--there is no other place on earth like Stingray City! Come on aboard and see our clear blue water, exotic fish, stingrays and experience for yourself some old-fashioned Caymanian hospitality.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Kissimmee Florida
22 attraction reviews
“Excellent Stingray City Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We have visited Grand Cayman for several years and have taken Stingray City Tours with other operators. Captain Marvin and his team provide an excellent experience for experienced swimmers and non-swimmers alike. The boat was a little larger than I would have liked being used to smaller tours, but the group's size turned out to be better than I expected. The three man crew (as opposed to two on the smaller boats) included a photographer not included in the other tours and he significantly added to the fun of the experience.

The tour goes to two snorkel sites after Stingray city instead of the one that many of the other tours offer and it is a little longer for that reason. They will pick you up at; your Seven Mile Beach hotel or you can meet them at the office by the Sunshine Suites. We had them pick us up. Captain Marvin's operates from a very busy private marina next to the owner's home.

The best part of all, though, is that we had a non-swimmer in our group. We had been alerted to inform them if we had any non-swimmers and I was amazed at the special attention they gave her. At Stingray City, since the water is so shallow she did not need help beyond what the rest of us could give, but when we got to the first snorkel site, one of the crew assisted her into the water and had her grab a life ring He then towed her around the site pointing out items of interest on the way. I guess he spent about fifteen to twenty minutes with her. I figured that since he knew where he was going and I didn't, I would tag along. I followed them through the coral observing the items he pointed out. He weaved a path through the forest of coral I would never have found had I not been following him. I saw much more than I would have seen had I not followed him. If for no other reason than this level of attention, this tour gets an A in my book.

Captain Marvin's team gives a great Stingray City tour. They are a little off he beaten path, but worth the effort to find them.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Wonderful Experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I was weary about booking an excursion that wasn't from my cruise line but, from now on, when I come back to Cayman, I will do it again and will book with Captain Marvin's. WE only had 16 on our two-stop excursion while other boats we saw had 30 plus. Our tour guides taught us about the area and dove in the water to bring up a conch shell. He removed the conch (a little boy wanted to take the shell home) and let us all try a fresh piece. I felt very safe and they were not pushy when it came to the option to purchase photos of our kissing a stingray. All three men were so polite, informative and helpful. I highly recommend Captain Marvins.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
“100% Recommend. Brilliant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

After reading several reviews we decided to do Stingray City & from recommendation we did it with Captain Marvin's and I'm glad that we did.

We walked to their office - which for us was directly opposite our hotel. Here we paid for the tour and were taken to the marina/quay where our boat was waiting for us.

We were told our first stop would be Stingray City & after this we would do the 2 snorkel stops that we had booked.
Our captain was Jimmy & we also had Polo & Carlos on board. The guys were brilliant - funny & knew what they were talking about.
It took us around 30 minutes to get out to stingray city. Once we arrived and anchored we could leave the boat. The number of stingrays is amazing. As this is in the middle of the ocean all the Stingrays are wild and still have their stings so you do have to watch where you stand. But they are all around you.
We had a photographer on board who took photos of everyone, group and single and these were available for purchase for roughly $45? But the disc has all the photos on and they are great quality.
While you are here you should kiss the stingray as this is supposed to bring you 7 years good luck!

After this we did our 2 snorkel stops - mask and fins provided on board. There was plenty to see. After this we headed back to dock where we were taken to our hotels.

This was is a great morning/afternoon activity and I would definitely recommend going with Captain Marvin's!!

Visited April 2014
“An experience to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The crew of Captain Marvins is very professional, Peter was our captain and was very friendly, understanding and he also sat with me while the others on the tour of Sting Ray city and we discussed Jamaica.

Also on board there was Froggy the photographer who took some beautiful pictures of my friend and I.

Madison, Wisconsin
“Awesome!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

In short - fantastic company and we Loved it. We went on an afternoon weekday half-day snorkeling trip with my 7 yr son and 3 yr daughter which included 3 stops, including sting ray sandbar. We were on Capt Jimmy's boat. Where to start? The crew was fabulous! Extremely friendly, great with kids, cheerful, happy, accommodating, knowledgeable, just delightful people who clearly love their jobs. We got to hold the sting-ray while they helped and took professional pictures. They patiently helped every person on the tour do this! Even my 3 yr old (who was floating in a float we brought). When my son was fearful, they were very kind and tried to get him into it. They were so familiar with the other snorkeling sights that they were able to point things out, like where an eel was hiding. When my daughter fell asleep they watched her on the boat so I could join my husband and son. They didn't mind at all. Very laid back. This was the highlight of our trip. I highly recommend them for your snorkeling trip.