“Stamp Shop for Collectors and Tourists - Amazing Find !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 shopping in George Town
Type: Specialty Shops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Best stamp shop in Cayman Islands! Excellent for souvenirs and gifts. Great for collectors and stamp enthusiasts. Pop in and say 'Hi'... we'd love to see you.(up on the 2nd floor... look for 'The Penny Black' signs!)
Burlington, Canada
“Stamp Shop for Collectors and Tourists - Amazing Find !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I simply could not believe my eyes when I spotted a stamp shop, any stamp shop, on a Caribbean island. Going inside however is completely unbelievable ! It is literally wall to wall stamps with more in the back and everywhere you look. The selection - worldwide - is unbelievable and the owner/operator is pleasant and knowledgeable. I couldn't leave my family waiting for the hours I needed in the shop and made arrangements to spend most of the day there later in the week. Certainly one of the highlights of my vacation. My only regret - that I had not thought to bring my catalogue and want lists. This is simply a philatelist's dream. If you are interested in stamps or just an interesting outting, you must visit the Penny Black.

Visited May 2013

“Enthusiastic and informed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Visited twice with young son who was wide eyed with awe at examples of coins and stamps from all over the world shown by ex liverpool lady whose infectious enthusiasm was a delight. Notvto be missed.

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
11 attraction reviews
“History & Hobby”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stumbled upon The Penny Black while we were in Georgetown one afternoon, and what we thought would be a quick in-and-out experience, actually lasted for about half an hour. The amiable woman who runs the store, Elaine, was so charming, soft-spoken, and friendly, that this was truly a memorable experience for us during our stay in Grand Cayman. It is definitely a different change of pace from all the souvenir shops in Georgetown, which can be a real treat. In here, you will find stamps from all over the world, different time periods in Cayman history, limited and rare stamps, and if you are a history buff or a niche stamp collector, this is a slice of Heaven for you. We are in no way stamp enthusiasts, but having learned so much while speaking with Elaine, we were really able to appreciate a cute little shop such as this one. We even got a few stamps to go as a memorabilia. A great, and rare find if you are interested.

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Great shop to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Although I am not a stamp collector, I visited the shop in late January 2013, and had a fantastic time looking at all sorts of stamps, particularly Caribbean stamps (including from the Cayman Islands), which I have never seen before. The proprietor was very easy-going and helpful and just a genuinely pleasant person to interact with. Whether you are visiting Grand Cayman for several hours on a cruise trip or for a longer period of time on vacation, go to this shop. You will enjoy your time there.

Visited January 2013
Sarasota, FL
“Again and again we visited The Penny Black”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We have visited The Penny Black stamp shop in Georgetown, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands on each of our approximate ten visits to this island. It is great fun to search though the large collection of stamps for finds. And we always leave with some interesting finds. The last time on 9 January 2013 we bought about eight sets of stamps/cards/first day issues. The most interesting was a "first day issue" by Lundy, or as they are also known, "local carriage labels" or "local stamps". Lundy is a large island in Bristol Channel between Devon and Wales. The Lundy stamps are denominated in puffins (the sea bird). It is typical English bizarre or eccentric. Peter & Frances Rice, Sarasota, FL
The shop is upstairs in the building and look for the sign, The Penny Black. And the shop does have at least one penny black stamp.

Visited January 2013