“Terrible service if you have a problem” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 58 activities in George Town
Type: Classes/Workshops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Cathy Church's Photo Centre located at Sunset House hotel has the largest selection of duty free cameras at the lowest prices in the Caribbean. Whether you need the latest DSLR camera or lens, a waterproof camera to take to the beach, a spare battery or charger, a t-shirt and sunhat or even just a candy bar and a cold water, their friendly and knowledgeable staff will be happy to assist you. They have been the photo experts in the Cayman Islands since 1972. Be sure to check out Cathy's world famous Underwater Photo Gallery for a truly unique and special gift. A short walk or taxi drive from the cruise ship terminal or & Mile Beach, this store can serve all of your needs for land and underwater cameras. Take a private underwater photography lesson including a dive with Cathy Church or her fabulous staff or charter Cathy and her boat for the ultimate experience.
George Town, Grand Cayman
“Terrible service if you have a problem”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I bought a gopro black edition in cathy church, they gave by law 1 year warranty, everything good and happy untill here... but after 4 months my gopro start failing, one of the buttons makes bad connection and turns on and off the Wifi automatically, wasting my battery in a couple of hours without noticing. So I take my ticket with the warranty and I go to Cathy Church to solve the problem.. I explain my problem to one of the girls, and she takes my data promising that she will call me in 2 to 4 days... after 2 weeks nothing happens, so I decided to come back to the shop, the same girls reconized me and tell me that they contacted Gopro and they didnt get an answer, and recommend me to contact myself gopro to find a number that apparently they need to get a new camera... I asked her how come that they can not get in contact with a company that provides for them hundreds of Gopros, she didn´t answer me and says that thats all they can do...
I asked if they can fix the camera themselfs to solve the problem quickly. I get a negative answer.
After nearly 2 months I didnt get any response from them, so I had to go to a special shop to buy the micro tools to open the camera and I had to fix it myself thanks to internet instructions.

Apparently this shop just sell cameras and accesories but if anything goes wrong... it is your problem, even if they gave you their warranty, first and last time that I buy from them...

Visited September 2013
Jenn M, Manager at Cathy Church's Photo Centre, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience with your camera purchase. All of the cameras we sell- Nikon, Olympus and GoPro carry a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer. As an added service to our clients, we also offer a one month supplemental on island warranty where we will replace any defective camera with a new one as long as you have the original packaging. After one month, all cameras must be returned to the manufacturer for any warranty service or repair as there are no parts or technicians on island. We do try to act as your advocate with the manufacturers whenever we can and we work with their tech support to get your camera back up and running without you having to send it off the island if we can. I'm sorry that we were unable to fix your camera with GoPro tech support, and I'm sorry that we did not do a better job of communicating with you. We always strive to provide the best possible customer service whether you are purchasing, taking a class or have a service inquiry. I apologize that we fell short of our standards and your expectations in this case, and I hope that you will give us another chance to win back your business. Thank you.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Me and my wife went to the caymans to do some snorkeling and wanted to keep the memories but didn't have an underwater camera so we headed over to Cathy Church's to rent one. Called earlier on and reserved the cheapest compact they had, $35 a day. Got there to find that all the compacts were rented out so they gave us a free upgrade to a sealife DC1400, nice!

Went out to use it and halfway through the snorkel, the camera stopped working for some reason, not so nice. Went back at the end of the day and noted the malfunction to the store workers and they gave us that day for free and gave us another camera to use for the next day. They didn't have any dc1400's or compacts left so they gave us an xz-1, usual rate of $60 per half day for what we were originally quoted, $35 a day. Went out the next day and had a great time with the camera and took a lot of great photos. Couldn't really have asked for better customer service.

Visited September 2013
Dallas
“Wonderful experiance and great team”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I enjoy photography and diving, and last year my wife surprised me with a full day private photo dive with Cathy Church to learn underwater photography...and now I am hooked! I enjoyed the lesson so much we went back to Grand Cayman a few months later and took a 2nd lesson from Tee one of their great instructors. After getting back home I starting doing my homework and talking to their staff about underwater camera equipment and they helped me selected what I think will be a perfect setup for me. We just booked a Grand Cayman trip today, and I can't wait to have them teach me the proper use of my new camera and equipment.

Diving Grand Cayman is a wonderful experience, but after the two photo dive experiences I have had with Cathy Church and her staff I appreciate and enjoy it so much more. I have been amazed at the quality of photographs I have been able to capture after learning just a little about proper techniques and the use of good equipment.

Many thanks to Cathy and Tee for teaching me my new passion!

Visited April 2013
Hamilton, Bermuda
“A must do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

If you scuba dive, this is one place you have to go and at least take a beginners course on photography. The people are very knowledgable and patient, extremely helpful (regardless of whether you buy something or not) and they have all the equipment that you will ever need or want. Thank you Tee, I hope to see you in November.

Visited May 2013
Statesboro, Georgia
“Top of the line equipment and support”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have been to Grand Cayman many times over the years and since the Seaview Hotel was demolished after a hurricane, we have always stayed at Sunset House. I have been a customer of Cathy Church’s Photo Center from the very first visit to Cayman. My experience with Cathy’s shop has spanned more than a decade and the equipment, service, teaching staff, and ongoing support has always been top to the line. My most recent visit was in May of this year and the staff was as knowledgeable and supportive as ever. On this visit, I was having difficulty with a strobe that I had purchased several months prior. They worked with me to determine the problem and in the end replaced the strobe without an issue. There customer service does not just occur when you are on site. Whenever I have had problems (all operator error) with my systems in the past and they have been happy to answer my questions via email and get me back on the right track. I would certainly purchase future systems from Cathy Church and I absolutely will continuing my underwater photo education with them in the future on my next trip to Grand Cayman.

Visited May 2013