“She made a photographer out of me!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 57 activities in George Town
Type: Classes/Workshops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Cathy Church's Photo Centre located at Sunset House hotel has the largest selection of duty free cameras at the lowest prices in the Caribbean. Whether you need the latest DSLR camera or lens, a waterproof camera to take to the beach, a spare battery or charger, a t-shirt and sunhat or even just a candy bar and a cold water, their friendly and knowledgeable staff will be happy to assist you. They have been the photo experts in the Cayman Islands since 1972. Be sure to check out Cathy's world famous Underwater Photo Gallery for a truly unique and special gift. A short walk or taxi drive from the cruise ship terminal or & Mile Beach, this store can serve all of your needs for land and underwater cameras. Take a private underwater photography lesson including a dive with Cathy Church or her fabulous staff or charter Cathy and her boat for the ultimate experience.
Leesburg, Virginia
“She made a photographer out of me!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I went to Cathy Church's 2013 Photo Fest as a birthday present for my husband. I went as the dive buddy. The second day they gave me a camera to use and between Cathy and all the staff, they were attentive, helpful, complementary and fun. The staff is friendly and goes out of their way to provide whatever assistance they can. This goes from camera support, photography support, any equipment sales and help and photography instruction. The Photo Fest was well organized and well executed. This is a first class group of people who clearly love what they do.

Visited May 2013

San Antonio, Texas
“Photo Fest is a Blast and the staff does an excellent job too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just getting back from a terrific week at Cathy Church's 2013 Photo Fest! First off the event is well organized and the attention to detail is obvious. Photo Fest is a week long event of shooting macro and wide-angle scenes, seminars, and individual time with the photo pros to review and critique images. The group is divided into several teams so folks with similiar camera gear are on the same boat; it provides an excellent chance to discuss techniques amongst peers. You are well informed on the shooting day what the assignment is: macro or wide angle; which I like a lot. I can set up my system in my room without having to open it on the boat to make changes. The Photo Centre crew on the boats include Cathy Church, Jon, Tee, and Diana; Tony and CJ were on shore providing support. The chief organizer is Jenn who does an excellent job of keeping everyone organized and being where they need to be at the right time. After the diving day, the afternoon is filled with seminars and one-on-one time with the photo pros. The seminars are well done with lots of very useful info. At the end of the day, you have time to download photos and get your system setup for the next day. If you a starting underwater photographer or have been shooting for a while, I think you would find the event a lot of fun and beneficial to tuning your photo skills. Photo Fest is not all work, there is also some social time. The event starts with a Happy Hour and Orientation of the week ahead; the snacks are quite tasty. This year we had a pasta night at the Grand Old House and that was really quite tasty. The event ends with a bar-b-que and presentation of the awards for the various categories; which is well staged to show the work done by the photogarphers. The people attending the event are also a lot of fun; it is typical of divers on the first day not knowing each other and becoming friends by the end of the day. The social interaction is lots of fun with returning photographers and new ones joining the experience; it is really tough to stay a stranger long. The event is staged out of Sunset House which is a pleasant experience with nice comfortable rooms. For food there is the Sea Harvest Restuarant and MyBar, both with very tasty fare. I have attended the event for the last three years and really like the experience; I can't wait for next years Photo Fest!

Visited May 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 attraction reviews
“Cathy Church underwater studio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

There a few days ago. It is a great please to,see the works of this world famous underwater photographer. She also has a great shop for purchasing under water cameras of all price ranges

Visited April 2013
Banks, Oregon
“Fabulous instructors and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I consider myself to be a beginner plus underwater photograher/diver. I knew most all the controls (I know of them but did not know what they really meant) on my camera before arriving have read 4-5 different u/w photo books and have taken mostly snapshots in auto mode or white balance prior to my class with Theunis Neethling. I spent 5 hrs. with Theunis the second day of my week long trip and really appreciated his knowledge and insight. We started with basics and progressed through orientation with manual modes. Did about an hour long shore dive and he teaches extremely well both on land and underwater. The slate is a great tool. Finished with a photo critique.
My pictures the rest of the trip were exponentially better than anything I have shot previously. I spent the rest of the trip shooting manual and learned how much I didn't know and what I can do to make it better. Some of the limitations I have are due to my gear and he made some tactfull suggestions how I could improve things but I never felt like there was any high pressure sales. I picked his brain a bit a few days later and he was eager to help as was everyone else in the photo store.
Great experience overall and I would highly recommend Cathy Church's photo Centre to anyone looking to improve there UW photo skills. The only problem with all of this is that the Cayman Islands are a 71/2 plane ride from my home in oregon not counting layovers. I need more time to practice, trying to do that topside with the camera housing helps but it get's a little heavy. Great job Theunis!!!!!!

Visited February 2013
Pulaski, New York
“Top Notch Equipment, Competitive Prices, Excellent Instruction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have been aquainted with Cathy's operation for over 20 years. I took a couple classes with my Nikonos film camera back in the early 90s from her staff. More recently I purchased an Olympus Pen underwater setup from her and took an additional class from her staff. The price was great and the instruction was as well. I went back again earlier this year and spent the extra bucks to take a class from Cathy herself. She was wonderful, very understanding and made it very pleasant to learn. We spent nearly two hours underwater on one dive and I came back with some great shots with her help. Subsequent to that I ordered a wide angle lens and dome port for the Olympus setup. I got it for the same or better price than I could in the states and it comes, I know, with all the help I need in the future. I can't say enough good things about Cathy and her staff, particularly Jenn. Cathy's store is on premises at Sunset House Resort. Please also see my review for them.

Visited January 2013