“Kittiwake Dive” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Divers Down has been operating in Grand Cayman since 1996 and we are proud to offer a personalized service with a maximum of 8 divers per guide. We are a full service dive company providing shore and boat diving for certified divers along with certification courses and continuing education from our PADI 5 Star IDC training division - Cayman Diving College.
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Kittiwake Dive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I had a great time diving the Kittiwake with Divers Down. This was only my wife's second diving experience after recently completing her OW certification and she absolutely loved exploring the wreck. Divers Down had recently experienced destruction of their dock due to a storm coming through but they shuttled us to where their boats were moored and we were efficiently transported to the dive site. We explored four levels of the Kittiwake to include the latrines where there were mirrors we could still see ourselves in-what a surprise! A professional photographer also accompanied us on the dive and divers could opt in to receive pictures or not-we did and are awaiting for the DVD to arrive. All of our gear except for masks and snorkels was provided by the shop and it was all in top notch condition. Would probably use again.

Visited March 2013

New York City, New York
“Wonderful Snorkel Trip to Stingray City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and son had the perfect snorkel trip to Stingray City utilizing Divers Down. The captain and crew were extremely knowledgeable, helpful and energetic, and the boat was the perfect size. The snorkel equipment was top notch, and, overall we had a perfect half-day of snorkeling. We would definitely use them again on our next trip to the Cayman Islands.

West Point, Utah
“Best Dive Shop in the the Caribbean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Divers Down was the highlight trip on a week-long vacation. Our group of 10(!) showed up at their shop after our scheduled tour cancelled. Not only did they take all of us to the sights we wanted to see, they did so in an efficient and professional manner. Their equipment was great, their boat very well-laid out, and their staff professional and patient. To top it all off, they scheduled a photographer to join us, recommended great restaurants on the island, and got us a great deal.

I made three dive trips with different shops over seven days, these guys were by far the best.

Visited January 2013
DiversDownOwner, General Manager at Divers Down, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, as the owner of Divers Down I am always extremely happy to receive positive feedback from clients who have enjoyed diving with my staff. For the past seventeen years I have strived to offer divers a fun, safe and comfortable experience and the highest level of customer service.
Grand Junction, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
“Shocked-Unsafe to the Point of Dangerous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Arrived on cruise ship and happy to secure dives with Diver's Down. My expectations were quickly doused as my gear and me got drenched. Yes, expect to get wet, but no one showed us where to stash towels, so they got wet, too. Wet towels became the least of our worries,

Johnny was our divemaster. He was unsafe to the point of dangerous. Our dive was to stay above 100 ft. Johnny told us to stay with him, then he proceeded to dive to 117 ft. on the hunt for lionfish. He NEVER turned around or checked on divers nor did he show any concern for those under his guidance.

After dive we went back to shop to pick up two more divers , one novice.Then we headed to second dive site. On arriving,Johnny explained our next dive would be unguided as he could not leave the boat. I couldn't believe the operation could sell a guided trip and not have a guide. Without a guide, we might as well do a shore dive for a lot less money.

Things continued downhill. The novice diver couldn't clear and had no one to help. When she tried to get back on boat, Johnny fell and hurt himself. That mean't we had to get on boat with all our gear still on and attempt to get seated safely.

This experience sure helped my confidence.

Sunseeker

Visited January 2013
DiversDownOwner, Owner at Divers Down, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I was obviously extremely disappointed and concerned when I read this review and have since investigated and spoken not only to Jonny, but also to my Operations Manager, other staff members involved and I also contacted other divers who were on the boat that day. My understanding is that the writer of the review was a “walk in” customer, who had not pre booked her diving ahead of time. It was fully explained to her that we had scheduled an afternoon two tank dive trip, where the first dive would be a guided wall dive followed by an “unguided buddy team” dive on a shallow reef or wreck. On checking the boat manifest I can confirm that on the first dive Jonny guided just four certified divers, there was also another instructor in the water taking photo/video and a third who stayed onboard and acted as surface support. I am sorry that the writer felt that on this dive she did not receive the proper attention, as I have emphasized to all my staff that whilst the culling of Lionfish is important to the future of Cayman’s dive industry, this practice must not take place at the expense and detriment of customer service.
After the first dive the boat did return to our dock to pick up two additional divers who had unfortunately arrived late and missed the boat. At the second dive site Jonny gave a dive briefing and explained that this was to be an “unguided buddy team” dive and that he would be staying onboard to act as surface support. He also informed the divers that there would be two instructors in the water, one completing a referral dive with a student and the other taking photo/video. The second dive was never sold as a “guided dive” and the other divers onboard were aware of that. I understand that one of the divers did have problems equalizing and it did take some time for the buddy team to descend the mooring line, but both divers completed the 40 minute dive time.
The boat being used that day was “Cassiope” which is a flat top pontoon boat, where the normal procedure to get back onboard is to climb the ladder with all equipment in place. Of course in the event that a diver is unable to do this we can retrieve the equipment from the diver whilst they are still in the water. It was whilst Jonny was helping a diver take off her equipment that she leant forward and inadvertently knocked into him and as he fell into the water he scraped his leg on the front of the boat hurting it quite badly. (This was not the same diver who was having equalizing problems). I understand that afterwards he was in a fair amount of pain and distress and unfortunately the other instructors were still underwater and unable to help. I feel sure that most of our customers would have been more understanding of the situation and not considered this to be another example of poor customer service.
Once again I am sorry that the writer’s experience with us did not meet her expectations, but after reviewing all that took place I am assured that at no time were any of my staff “unsafe to the point of dangerous.”
3 attraction reviews
“awesome sting ray experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had a great time using Divers Down.

I should note that when we came in January, it turned out they were back on Eastern time - had we not shown up early, we would have missed our appointment, because the person (Nicole) who confirmed our reservation told us local time and 1 hour behind Eastern.

At any rate, there were 2 experienced scuba divers, 2 novice and 2 snorkelers. I would recommend snorkelers do a different excursion to a sandbar where they can stand and pet the stingrays, as I didnt have very much interaction with the stingrays because the rest of our group was diving.

They had cold water and snacks on the boat for post-diving. Friendly and chatty :)

There is a dry area on boat for you to bring all your bags.