“Best kept secret in Cayman” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn

You added Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn to your Saves list
Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   18 Pebbles Way | Grand Cayman, George Town KY1-1106, Grand Cayman   |
Ranked #2 of 6 George Town B&B and Inns
Courtenay, Canada
“Best kept secret in Cayman”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have been coming to Grand Cayman for 13 years and have now found my favourite place. Used to stay at Sunset House, but find the manager there to be quite rude, so went across the street this trip, to Eldemires. Best decision ever! There's only a few guest rooms, some being rented to residents, so it's extremely quiet. I almost always had the pool area all to myself. The pool is very nice, clean, secluded, surrounded by lush flowering trees. It's less than a five minute walk to Smith's Cove or to My Bar and Cathy Church/ Sunset diving centre. The rooms are big and beds comfortable and you have access to a full kitchen downstairs in the communal kitchen. I was able to put all my groceries in the big fridge and cook some meals there.
The best thing about Eldemires is the owners/managers, Tootie, Bob and Helena. They live next door and are there in a minute would you need for anything. Super friendly, lovely people. They genuinely care about and like getting to know their guests.
I'm never going to stay anywhere else when I return to Cayman!!!

• Stayed January 2014
Tootie E, Owner at Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Best Kept Secret in Cayman
We are elated that you had a good stay at Eldemire's, and thanks for taking time to write your review about us. We appreciate all the facts you have stated about us - all realistic..
As you have experienced yourself, we always try to please our guests and offer advice on what to do and see and where to eat, etc. That is because our guests matter to us...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
gijen82
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I do want to first say that I met Tootie when we arrived and she was incredibly nice and welcoming. She set up the taxi to come pick us up and take us to the airport the next morning. My boyfriend and I stayed here in December just for one night (we had been on Brac the last 4 nights and I always believe in staying near the airport the night before and not trying to island hop or make multiple flights before the primary departure flight because too many things can go wrong). She also recommended a delicious restaurant with a deck on the sea for dinner. We don't do the fancy schmancy hotels, mind you, we started our trip with four nights on Grand, staying first at the basic Harbour View Apartments (which I definitely recommend). At Eldemire's we stayed in the "Standard Bedroom" which is in the main house, no coffee maker, no shampoo, no wash cloths, etc. The room smelled weird. I'm not sure how to describe it, maybe like dirty sweaty laundry? I sprayed my body spray I had and hoped the AC would clear it out but I couldn't get that funk out of my nose. Also, the bed was horribly uncomfortable. Anytime my boyfriend or I moved it just made a bunch of noises, it is clearly wore out. I am not some high maintenance prissy girl. I work in the field of wildlife and natural resources, I'm used to getting dirty and working hard. I've stayed in a rundown field house in the middle of central India before. I was fine, but I do like a certain level of comfort. For the price it's not at all bad compared to the rest of Grand but I would have preferred to just have spent a little more and spent my last night somewhere nicer. I do appreciate the real island feel and not giving money to a big corporation but this wasn't quite my thing. Also, when we walked back from the restaurant it was getting dark and you have to kind of wind through a few side roads to get to the property and I was worried we would get mugged or something. Like I said, it served the purpose, it wasn't horrible, I didn't have a bad experience, I just wouldn't come back, and that smell was funky and unpleasant....

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
CarolEE E, Owner at Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hi,

I appreciate your kind words about myself and yes, I can boast that I always try to please my guests so that they have a good experience.
You are correct in saying that there is no coffeemaker in the bedroom but I had mentioned to you when you checked in, that there was complimentary tea and coffee in the kitchen downstairs. I apologize that I may not have made myself clear enough.
Regarding the other items that you listed, I have investigated them and am making sure that if indeed you had no shampoo and washcloth in your bathroom, I do apologize for this and I have instructed my housekeeper to ensure these items are always available for our guests.
Thanks for letting me know about the beds and they were replaced a few months ago.
The smelly room? I have no idea what that was all about as I have never had any complaints about a smell their.. We do spray mattresses and mattress covers with a germicidal solution every time our guests check out. So I can only surmise that this is what you may have been smelling.
The road I am unable to do much about. But like you experienced for yourself, it is a very short road, with house all around in the neighborhood, that we have to traverse from the main road to Eldemire’s, and yes, it does have 3 short corners but as you saw, there are street lights thier.
I would just like to say that I do appreciate you taking time to write your feedback as this kind of information, be it negative or positive, assists me in knowing how my guests feel about myself and my property.
It takes a guest like yourself to impart your experience at Eldemire’s, that creates a guideline for myself to look at ways in which I may be able to improve upon everything.
So I thank you for taking your time to do this for me.
Fiji
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had a great stay at Eldemire's! It's quiet & peaceful, while at the same time being only a short distance from town. It's also 'real Caribbean' which we find is much nicer than the much more expensive American-style hotels that one finds all along 7-mile beach.
Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn has good facilities (kitchen for preparing meals, free tea & coffee, wifi etc) & is well-managed, with friendly staff & pleasant surroundings. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi
I appreciate the fact that you have taken your time to write a lovely and positive review about Eldemire’s, and your kind compliments about myself and Eldemire’s.
Yes we do try to offer that real “Caribbean” feeling of tranquility, and a down-to-earth experience and you can now state that you met some authentic Caymanians who tried to ensure that you were comfortable and happy.
We are always glad when our guests are happy.
And I know you enjoyed the fact that we shared with you our Island experiences and that we had a big fully equipped kitchen in which you could prepare your own meals, that I know saved you quite a bit of money.
Much prayers to you on your missionary travels.
St John's, Antigua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I had two nights at Eldemire's, being greeted by the owner(?) on arrival, but haven't seen her since. The place is very pleasant - clean, light, airy - the kitchen is well stocked with pots and pans etc, and free tea and coffee is available all the time. Town is a (hot) 20-25 minute walk away, but that's okay (when I am in travelling mode!). The price is 'way above my normal range (backpackers) but, it seems, that by local standards it is cheap (USD110 per night is not cheap to me). I would recommend Eldemire's for a pleasant enough stay. (I am not sure whether I am staying in the same place as "markowktw" writes about. There seems little resemblance between what he writes, and what I experienced.)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Heggedal, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

i chose Eldemire's mainly because it was the cheapest option I could find on the internet. Which doesn't say very much, since hotel prices in Grand Cayman are in general ridiculously high. I paid 90 USD per night, which was quite a bit lower than even the least expensive of the more traditional hotels or resorts wanted. As someone else pointed out, you are generally left alone once you have checked in. No one cleans the room, and although I often find the daily cleaning ritual of many hotels more of a bother than a help, 6 days without any sort of service, like having the garbage taken out, was a bit too much. The guests can use a large and well-equipped kitchen, which would probably be great for a family with children. I just made sandwiches and kept my drinks cold in the fridge. I traveled with a folding bike, and it took me just a few minutes to ride into George Town and less than 10 minutes to the Seven Mile Beach.. By foot it would probably take you 20-25 minutes to the center of town, and the closest supermarket is even further away. So I think staying here without a rental car (or bicycle) would probably not be convenient. But let me add that I was happy here. The room was small, but the air condition worked well and there was always hot water when I needed it. And the wifi internet is excellent. You need a password, but once you have entered that you're good until the day you leave. There is a very small pool with a couple of beach chairs. Nice enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Had a great 2 night stay at Eldemire's. Stayed here a couple of days before moving to Seven Mile Beach for a conference and this place was exactly what I was looking for.
Do not expect warm and cozy treatment, the only person I dealt with was pleasant enough, but I only saw her once at check-in and that was OK.
I got one of the apartments, the one in front of the pool, to myself and it was perfect... Wish I had brought my family! Perfectly clean, AC worked great, Clean bathroom, great kitchen, nice furniture and fun decor!
I second the comments about the roosters... but hey,,, if you can't handle a rooster then you really should stay home and live in a bubble.
I am glad I rented a car as this is an integral part of enjoying Cayman, even if you are staying at one of the resorts. Being such an expensive place, it pays to be able to go to a grocery store or to seek out inexpensive local eats.The car pays for itself very quickly.
Will be coming back without a doubt! Great value!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My sister, her 10 year old daughter and I had an absolutely marvelous vacation last month in Grand Cayman. We introduced little Lexa to the undersea world- snorkeled at Smith Cove (it was magical), swam with the Dolphins at Dolphin Cove, fed the Stingrays, watched sunset on the beach, and just had a fabulous, relaxing time. Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn is the perfect setting for those who want a local, cozy, quaint abode, and definitely not the Ritz Carlton prices. Tootie and Bob were wonderful hosts, and they make you feel right at home. We had a suite complete with a kitchen, so we could save money and prepare most of our meals. I would recommend walking 10 minutes to Smith Cove for snorkeling, and walking to Sunset House for lunch or dinner, especially at sunset. Eldemire's is for travelers on a budget who enjoy local ambiance. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn? Share your experiences!