“Very Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Type: Water sports
Activities: Scuba diving
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Cayman's Best Shore Diving Cayman’s best value 2 tank dive! Eden Rock Diving Center is situated a short swim from two of the world’s best shore dives Eden Rock and Devil’s Grotto. The coral reefs rise in vertical cliff faces from a 40 foot sand bottom to within a few feet from the surface. Both Eden Rock and Devil’s Grotto are honey combed with caves, tunnels and grottos inhabited by many tropical fish, coral and sponges including Silversides and Tarpon. The entry is down a diving ladder is into 4 feet of clear and calm Cayman water the bottom gently slopes out to 15 feet the rises to within a few feet of the surface before dropping to a sand bottom. There are many tunnels running through the reef with openings in the coral allowing sunbeams to light the way.
jacksonville
“Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor regarding Dive Operations for Grand Caymans and Cozumel for our two days onshore from a Carnival Cruise. Now that I am back, I am writing one highly recommended review and one negative review. This one is the negative. We were a party of five, four divers and one snorkeler. To use the buddy system, we planned to divide and do two dives so as never to leave the snorkeler alone. We arrived at Eden Rock in the morning. No one was in the water snorkeling or diving. It was a beautiful, sunny day--perfect. The gentleman at the shop was so apathetic. He did not greet us. We asked some questions and his response was "You can do whatever you want." He never offered us a guide, no suggestions and just acted like he did not want to be bothered. My daughter and I both wear size Small BCs. She was given an extra-small and I was given a size Medium with the upper strap missing.
It was falling off my shoulders and he said--"It's fine." I put on the tank and it was falling off my shoulders even more. Again, when I approached him, his response was "It's fine." I told him I did not feel comfortable or safe diving this way and asked for a BC with a chest strap like the other diver's in my group had. I was told that they only had 3 BCs without missing straps. He finally gave me a Size Small with the strap--it was perfect. Why did I have to ask twice?
Please note that we are gentle speaking southern people--not rude at all. We asked nicely.
No one offered to help with setting up our equipment--that's OK we can do it. I just had read on trip advisor that they did--must have been someone else working that day. We checked out the regulators on shore. Mine was a little noisy but OK. However, when we got out into the water, my friend's was leaking air. We were doing this shallow dive and our tanks had plenty of air so we continued until 1500. When we went back to the shore and told the worker, he said oh that is suppose to give off air. Then we responded, Well our other two did not--so which ones were not functioning--hers? or ours? Again, no help with the equipment. I asked if we were suppose to clean them in the fresh water or did they prefer to do it themselves and were told--no--you do it.
The other diver decided he did not want to dive with them, so we turned in our equipment and left. My friend said that she felt like they did not care about her safety at all. She even wanted to cancel her dive trip for the next day in Cozumel she was so nervous about the care outside the US. Fortunately, she did dive and had a totally opposite experience.
I have read good reviews of Eden Rock Dive Shop. It must depend on who is working. I would NOT recommend this operation. Go to Sunset House another 1/2 mile further.

Visited June 2013
edenrock, General Manager at Eden Rock Diving Center, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
We are sorry that you were unhappy with the service you received, and apologize for not making your experience a great one. In regard to the equipment issues some of our BCs do not come with chest straps (they are not missing). The regulator was a Brut regulator with a balanced piston first stage a small flow of bubble is emitted through a valve to balance the piston (this is the way it is designed). We also have some later Regulator models in service which do not balance the piston in this way.
Once again we apologize for not making you happy and will strive to make every customers experience a great one.

George Town, Grand Cayman
“Snorkeling & Diving at Eden Rock”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

A one stop underwater adventure. On the eastern edge of the capital, George Town, it is a short walk from the cruise ship landing area to the Center. Eden Rock's friendly staff are always quick to assist you from the moment you enter the center. Swimwear and other vacation souvenir are displayed and rental equipment for snorkeling and diving is readily fitted and rented at great prices. US cash and credit cards are happily accepted.

Eden Rock offers a safe water entry and exit with secure stainless steel stairs and a safe demarcated area to explore free of boats and other water craft. The coral formations are breathtaking and the fish are not shy and are happy to accept a treat of squid or cheese (I used the squeeze cheese in the can). Lots of fun.

The sea floor gently slopes down to deeper water with a sandy bottom and reveals the caves and tunnels that Eden Rock is famous for allowing for hours of fun and exploration. The Tarpon are huge and plentiful, the water is crystal clear and the experience provides memories for a life time.

Eden Rock is a great stop for all your snorkeling, diving, rental and instructional needs. A fun day for all.

Visited May 2013
Gulf Breeze, Florida
“A must for divers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My father and I have been diving this for over a decade. Easy entry for young/novice divers. Shop keepers are knowledgeable, although they tend to treat everyone like cruise ship trash. If you only do one dive in GC, this should be it.

Visited May 2013
New York City, New York
34 attraction reviews
“Great one-tank dive through Devil's Grotto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

As newly-certified divers, we were excited to take our first "real" dive at a new location. The staff at Eden Rock was great, helping us get into our gear and giving a clear briefing of our dive plan. Happily, the mild current was going in the direction that let us go to Devil's Grotto, which was our preferred dive site. As we were snorkeling to the starting point, I spotted a small stingray and our guide pointed out a school of squid. Then we descended, passed over a bit of colorful coral and hit the main attraction: the Devil's Grotto swim-throughs. Swimming through coral passages, we came upon enormous tarpon and a few jacks; the whole experience was very impressive. We then passed over coral beds and ledges, seeing tons of our old favorites (parrotfish, tangs, sergeant-majors, wrasses, blue chromis, rock beauties, squirrelfish, yellow snapper, etc.). On the way back to the dive ladder, our instructor pointed out a number of other fish; there was a hidden octopus, but we didn't spot it. All-in-all, the dive was a lot of fun; the swim-throughs were a little scary, but not actually difficult and very beautiful, and the rest of the dive was leisurely and fun.

Visited April 2013
Western Colorado
“Very helpful people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We snorkeled the Eden Rock site just off shore from the Eden Rock Dive Center. For us, this was one of the highlights of our Grand Cayman trip and a superb snorkel experience. In addition, the people who worked at the dive center were helpful and friendly, including providing advice on other shore based snorkel locations.

The business we gave them was minimal as we had our own equipment, although I did rent a snorkel from them for $6 as we lost ours somewhere on the east end the previous day. When we returned the rented snorkel later in the day, we ended up chatting with a nice man, who I believe may have been the owner, and he was one of the most friendly guys we met on Cayman (not that others were not friendly!). He mentioned they might be opening a restaurant upstairs over the dive center itself, so perhaps something to watch for in the future.

Visited April 2013