“Snorkeling & Diving at Eden Rock” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Water sports
Activities: Scuba diving
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Cayman's Best Shore Diving Cayman’s best value 2 tank dive! Eden Rock Diving Center is situated a short swim from two of the world’s best shore dives Eden Rock and Devil’s Grotto. The coral reefs rise in vertical cliff faces from a 40 foot sand bottom to within a few feet from the surface. Both Eden Rock and Devil’s Grotto are honey combed with caves, tunnels and grottos inhabited by many tropical fish, coral and sponges including Silversides and Tarpon. The entry is down a diving ladder is into 4 feet of clear and calm Cayman water the bottom gently slopes out to 15 feet the rises to within a few feet of the surface before dropping to a sand bottom. There are many tunnels running through the reef with openings in the coral allowing sunbeams to light the way.
George Town, Grand Cayman
“Snorkeling & Diving at Eden Rock”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

A one stop underwater adventure. On the eastern edge of the capital, George Town, it is a short walk from the cruise ship landing area to the Center. Eden Rock's friendly staff are always quick to assist you from the moment you enter the center. Swimwear and other vacation souvenir are displayed and rental equipment for snorkeling and diving is readily fitted and rented at great prices. US cash and credit cards are happily accepted.

Eden Rock offers a safe water entry and exit with secure stainless steel stairs and a safe demarcated area to explore free of boats and other water craft. The coral formations are breathtaking and the fish are not shy and are happy to accept a treat of squid or cheese (I used the squeeze cheese in the can). Lots of fun.

The sea floor gently slopes down to deeper water with a sandy bottom and reveals the caves and tunnels that Eden Rock is famous for allowing for hours of fun and exploration. The Tarpon are huge and plentiful, the water is crystal clear and the experience provides memories for a life time.

Eden Rock is a great stop for all your snorkeling, diving, rental and instructional needs. A fun day for all.

Visited May 2013

Gulf Breeze, Florida
“A must for divers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My father and I have been diving this for over a decade. Easy entry for young/novice divers. Shop keepers are knowledgeable, although they tend to treat everyone like cruise ship trash. If you only do one dive in GC, this should be it.

Visited May 2013
New York City, New York
34 attraction reviews
“Great one-tank dive through Devil's Grotto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

As newly-certified divers, we were excited to take our first "real" dive at a new location. The staff at Eden Rock was great, helping us get into our gear and giving a clear briefing of our dive plan. Happily, the mild current was going in the direction that let us go to Devil's Grotto, which was our preferred dive site. As we were snorkeling to the starting point, I spotted a small stingray and our guide pointed out a school of squid. Then we descended, passed over a bit of colorful coral and hit the main attraction: the Devil's Grotto swim-throughs. Swimming through coral passages, we came upon enormous tarpon and a few jacks; the whole experience was very impressive. We then passed over coral beds and ledges, seeing tons of our old favorites (parrotfish, tangs, sergeant-majors, wrasses, blue chromis, rock beauties, squirrelfish, yellow snapper, etc.). On the way back to the dive ladder, our instructor pointed out a number of other fish; there was a hidden octopus, but we didn't spot it. All-in-all, the dive was a lot of fun; the swim-throughs were a little scary, but not actually difficult and very beautiful, and the rest of the dive was leisurely and fun.

Visited April 2013
Western Colorado
“Very helpful people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We snorkeled the Eden Rock site just off shore from the Eden Rock Dive Center. For us, this was one of the highlights of our Grand Cayman trip and a superb snorkel experience. In addition, the people who worked at the dive center were helpful and friendly, including providing advice on other shore based snorkel locations.

The business we gave them was minimal as we had our own equipment, although I did rent a snorkel from them for $6 as we lost ours somewhere on the east end the previous day. When we returned the rented snorkel later in the day, we ended up chatting with a nice man, who I believe may have been the owner, and he was one of the most friendly guys we met on Cayman (not that others were not friendly!). He mentioned they might be opening a restaurant upstairs over the dive center itself, so perhaps something to watch for in the future.

Visited April 2013
Southeast
8 attraction reviews
“Intro to Scuba!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I've always wanted to try scuba, but my wife firmly resisted. Finally, my twelve year old agreed to try an intro to scuba course with me. Because of safety concerns, we spent extra money and reserved a private class for just the two of us. It is my understanding that they limit ordinary classes to 4 people.

We were lucky to have Chris as an instructor. As an American, I would characterize him as stereotypically British. Very dry humor, but also detail oriented and a great instructor.

My son endured the shore-bound lecture, but clearly wanted to get in the water. Chris was very safety oriented, double and triple checking our equipment, and replacing a valve that leaked on the third check.

In the water, he was great with me and my son. We went through the skills review, and upon demonstrating our knowledge of the skills, we swam the short distance out to the reef. This is the primary reason that I chose Eden Rock. It is close to a reef, so no pool work or great travel time is required.

For about 45 minutes, we swam with tarpon and a rainbow collection of fish. My only disappointment was that we were not allowed to go through any of the "swim through" holes in the reef. You must be open water certified for that part.

I highly recommend Eden Rock if you want to try an intro to scuba class.

Visited March 2013