“Amazing Staff, just had full knee replacement...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Save Saved
You added Sunset House to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   390 South Church Street | PO Box 479, George Town KY1-1106, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Direct Bookings Only
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in George Town
maggie valley, NC
“Amazing Staff, just had full knee replacement...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Just so you all know, I'm now 58 years old and have been staying at Sunset House since I was 11 years old... OMG it is so good now...our room was 409 first floor, best view of the ocean and the sea pool. I recently had full knee replacement , 8 weeks ago so I was quite hesitant how this would go, all went extremely well. The dive staff helped me take off all of my gear in the water and everything went well. I can't tell you all how good the dive boat crew is, see this: Do you believe in Miracle Mondays???? I do now... Thanks to Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel For Divers, by Divers and Rob Hopwood and Keith Sahm. I have a great story to tell but I have to admit, I'm a bit embarrassed. This last week we stayed at Sunset House and dove and both Troy and myself took lessons from Cathy Church, wow, what a week. One day, mid week, we went to the Ora Verde Wreck for an awesome dive. Each dive, I took my bc off and all my gear at the ladder of the boat before boarding because of my knee. Made it easier to climb the ladder with all of that weight off my back. This particular dive, I remember I had a bit of difficulty getting out of my bc but ok, got it off and boarded the boat... A few hours later my friend Margie asked me what time it was, I went to look at my watch and it was gone, also there was a cut on the top of my wrist, about 3 inches up.. First thing I thought was maybe it came off in the pool, I usually rinse it there, yes, I pee in my wetsuit, chlorine takes care of that... anyway, it was not in the pool. Then I wasn't even positive that I had wore it so I told the front office that it was missing, a Diamond Jubilee Rado Watch, I also emailed my insurance company. I bought this watch years ago and it has been on each and every dive that I have done in the last 10 or 12 years, been as deep at 115' and recently was told that it is only water resistant , not for diving.. oh well. I told the dive staff the next day and right away they wanted to go back to the dive site, I told them we went on two sites yesterday and am not sure which one it was on that it could have came off but the second dive, ora verde, I did have trouble. They said let's do it again and I said that itl would not be fair to the other guests to take them back there. Again they told me not to worry, we would moor up to the site right next door and they would go over and look for it. , Wow, thanks... Sorry to say, no Luck... they called another boat that was on that site and all looked for my watch, it went down to Davey's Locker !!!! I did not let this ruin my trip at all, it's just a watch, problem is , it was around a 3000.00 watch and now I can afford a timex... oh well, all is good... Continued the rest of the week and then had to fly home, I'm sure many more divers dove the Ora Verde since the day we visited that site... I got a special email today from my friend Keith, General Manager from the hotel, guess what, Rob Hopwood found my watch. He went to the spot where he thought we were tied up and where the boat should have been when I took my gear off and sure enough, he found it... Wow, I so amazed.... Not only did he find it but he turned it in. I have new faith in folks, yes some of us do the right thing, maybe it takes one to know one and it comes back to you, because I'm the same way. Ok, so Miracle Mondays do work, I told the insurance company and Keith is helping me out by taking it to a rado dealer there, cayman island, to get a new pin for it and have it checked out. @Keith Sahm I am so WOWED it's amazing..... I can't believe it.. Do you know I stayed at Sunset House when I was 11 years old and now I'm 58? gezzz.... All I can say is now I have a new faith in folks, Thanks Rob Hopwood , enjoy your new bar tab I sent you.. Keith you are a Saint... Ok, guys, that's my story, can't believe @Sunset House that they can find buried treasure.... Thank You so much !!!!

Now let me tell you about the food, we stayed 7 days and only went out one night, been there before and will go back, wharf restaurant, awesome... Food at Sunset House is so diverse you could go every night and be happy...

Why would anyone go anywhere else then SunSet House.... This is the best place in the Cayman Islands and they also make you feel that way... Also look for "Murphy", he's the man !!!!!
Hugs to @Sunset House, not only did we have a great time but you made be believe in folks all over again... Hugs... We will be back. !!!!

Room Tip: by far the best!!!! Dive Masters are wonderful, they give you two options, shallow or deep.... also...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
York, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Sunset House was incredible, from its well-sized rooms, restaurant, outdoor bar, pool, dive shop, dive locker, and especially the warm and wonderful staff (from management on down). No question or request was too small. And having an on-site photo center (including photo classes) run by Cathy Church, dive photo pioneer, is a huge plus! The location is only a short walk away from George Town for additional shopping and exploration. This was the first stay at Sunset House but will not be the last!

Room Tip: get an ocean view room for the few waking hours you will be in the room; it's worth the slight e...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Leawood, Kansas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I starting going to Sunset house in 99 and it is still my favorite place to go and dive in the world. From the minute you walk in Bryan (aka Jennifer) greats you with a smile and friendly greetings. Keith and Karin with a little help from Murphy make you feel like one of the family. The dive staff is great and the food at the restaurants (Sea harvest and My Bar) on site is amazing, If you are ready for a great dive, stay and food do not pass this place up!!
Insider tips:
Eat the Mushroom Ravioli
Pay extra for the sea view room
Have a Mudslide
Shore Dive at least once at 4:00ish PM
Eat the Mushroom Ravioli
Check out Simon’s Ink
If you need an open water check out ask for Charlotte
Be at My Bar at sunset with your camera
Key Lime pie…

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Mentor, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

This is a resort for divers mainly. Early AM or late PM shore dives. Boat dives from here are primarily for people who are staying on property. If you go to another hotel, you may or may not be able to dive with this operation as guests here are catered to first. Understandably. The tiki bar right by the water is nice. The sand beach feels great. The view is ridiculously good. The small pool on the RHS of the bar is clean. The rooms are basic. The service is adequate, but not luxurious. Think eat dive eat dive eat dive surface interval tiki time, night dive. But get your night dive tanks early as they can no longer leave them out. Apparently too many other divers liked "free" air. If you love underwater photography, be sure to schedule a lesson with Cathy Church before you leave for vacation as if a cruise ship is in town... She may be busy! One hour in studio and more on the reef. Nice cameras available to rent or buy. Cathy is really great and hard working! She has even worked with some movie people, photos to prove it. Cathy has switched gears to macro- so if that is something you are interested in - why not learn from a pro on property. I agree with many, there are many great restaurants nearby. A short walk, bike ride, taxi, or car rental away (need to drive on LHS of road and pay $20 for a temporary international driver's license). Don't worry the locals see the rental stickers on the front and rear of the cars. They see who to avoid. Still, insurance would be a good option.
Foster's grocery is nearby and very well stocked. Water, great island fruits, fish, avocados...
Sunset house also has great sunsets. Nice for divers.

• Stayed August 2013
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thanks for writing such a fantastic report SmartDiver! It was great having you here!

I just want to clarify just a couple of comments, just to make sure others who have not been here get a clearer picture.

The sand on Grand Cayman is undoubtedly the finest and best sand in the world! "Fortunately", we do not have any here right on the property. The reason we say this is that this allows the reef system literally 13' down come right up to the shore for excellent shore diving and scuba diving just steps from your rooms. Just a half mile down the road is Smiths Cove, one of the most picturesque little beaches on island. I just did not want to confuse others that we actually have a beach here on property.

And you are right about the tanks at night... Our guests, or even outside guests can get tanks before the dive operation closes at 5:00. Our guest lockers can easily hold 4 tanks plus gear for those late night or early morning dives. (with the coral spawning about to take place, night dives are even more eventful!)
Outside guests can make arrangements with the dive shop before hand and pre-paid tanks can be left for you. All shore dive tanks cannot be taken off property, as a reminder.

And (a little trivia for all), yes, we can tell the difference with a rental car than a resident... Did you ever notice that the rental cars have white plates with black lettering and the local plates have a yellow background with blue lettering.)

We hope you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you yet again!

Warm regards,

Keith and the staff at Sunset House!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

It's been said before, but Sunset House really met most of our expectations. Even though we opted for a garden-view room we could watch the sea from a lot more wonderful spots. The bar, the pool, the whirlpool, the restaurant windows and the outside part of the restaurant. The food was good. Nice breakfasts, terrific options for light lunches: and the Indian food was an unexpected bonus. It was really tasty and fresh! Good beds, and quiet enough AC. Watch out for the slippery tile floors.

Our dive days were great. The only thing is it's a long walk from the lockers they provide to the dock where the boats are and if you are bringing your stuff up and back each day it gets tiresome. Also we had to take charge of our weights too, bringing them to and from the boats each day..... Most boats keep weights on board. So if you needed to adjust your weight (as I did when wearing different weight wetsuit etc.) I was out of luck if there weren't any others of the right size on board. I did get the hang of all this after a day or two. It's just a different routine, but still, it's a long distance from the boat dock to the shop and the lockers....and a lot of equipment to keep track of. Maybe I'm spoiled by my other experiences....The diving was very good, not spectacular, like I'd heard, but very good.Still the briefings ranged from actually being "brief" to rambling monologues, which was fun for the anecdotes and not so good if you were trying to remember details of the terrain or the tour you would actually attempt underwater. The fact that the DM's left you behind in the water under the boat on your own after 20-25 mins of leading you was something I had not encountered before. They told us they would do so, but I don't know how much "preparation for our return" was really all that necessary. I am an experienced diver with numerous trips through the Caribbean under my belt in the last 10 years. Still the staff was very obliging and friendly in general. I'd go back.

Room Tip: If you need a view from your balcony by all means get the expensive rooms. Otherwise save your money...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

In 2011 we liked the location, the facilities, the dive operation, on-site bar and restaurant so much there was no question of staying anywhere else in 2012. We thought Thanksgiving week would be less crowded but apparently a lot of Americans had the same idea. (Quite a few restaurants offered turkey specials.) And don’t think Americans are the only ones who jump the gun with Christmas decorations. The house across the road from Sunset House was lit up like Disney World and added more lights every day. (They still had a battalion of reindeer in the garage awaiting deployment when we left.)

DIVING
Weather on the west side was rough—we only got to dive there one day, then moved to the south side sites. Even the cruise ships were docking there and busing people into town. Prevailing winds make the south side dangerous diving most of the year but these sites were amazing—Kent’s Caves, Pirate Cove, Pallas Arches, Japanese Gardens, and Chinese Gardens were spectacular. Air temps were in the mid-‘70s to low ‘80s (Fahrenheit) most days—decidedly cooler than what we’re used to in September and early October. Water temps were steady around 82F. One afternoon we drove to Rum Point and snorkeled in some pretty wild surge.

CREATURES We saw 3-4 morays, golden tail, only one Nassau grouper, a few nice tiger groupers, my first nurse shark, a spectacular free-swimming green moray, lobsters and a few lionfish (fewer than last year and far fewer than we saw on Little Cayman in 2011).

THE CREW
The Sunset captains and crews are ever-patient, polite, attentive, and helpful. Marshalling a boatload of divers into and out of the water can be like herding cats. We remembered Charlotte, Trevor, and Pete from last year. New faces were Josh (the only Aussie besides Russell Crowe to dive the Haigh Quarry in Illinois), Jacki, Lowrie, Benji, and Brittany (the new intern). We expect to see Aaron taking his act to Vegas shortly. My wife’s dive computer died the middle of the week but Jackie came to the rescue with a vintage blocky back-up computer. We had to shuttle to the south side dock and the crew was constantly lifting and carrying our heavy gear bags onto the truck, off the truck, onto the boat, off the boat--don’t underestimate weight lifting as a required skill for divemasters.

PHOTOGRAPHY
We took an excellent underwater photography with Addie of Cathy Church’s studio. Both my wife and I have considerable background in photography, but underwater it’s a different animal. Using our regular cameras with a couple of Cathy’s strobes, we took a few National Geographic quality pix during Addie’s 45-minute guided photo shoot. If you’re remotely interested in one of these courses, take them EARLY in your trip; we only had one more day of diving to use our new knowledge.

FOOD
Aside from the diving, the food is another reason we go to GC. We splurged at The Wharf, Ortanique, The Grand Old House, and on Thanksgiving, Papagallo. On the affordable side, we returned to Cimboco (a favorite last year) four times, Al La Kebab (amazing fries and even poutine!), Chicken! Chicken! (Of course they had a Turkey! Turkey! special.) We hit My Bar for quick lunches and late night snacks. (I had the BLT with blackened fish twice.) We took in a movie (Skyfall) at the Camana Bay theater. On a day free of cruise ship passengers, we went to Guy Harvey’s for lunch. They had fresh lionfish on ice with the rest of the day’s catch.

Room Tip: We like having the balcony space on the rooms facing the bar for spreading out and drying gear.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I just came back from the 7 nights/ 6 days dive vacation with Sunset House 08/31 - 09/07. Hotel itself is not a luxury type, but it is fully built for divers, everything needed for a dive is basically there. I am actually impressed by the Sunset Divers - boats, equipment & crews there, without them, I don't think Sunset House be this famous.

Front Desk/Room
Arriving at the hotel after a long early morning traveling, check-in front desk Jennifer was polite and helpful. I specifically want to thank the reservation desk Kim (i did not see her at the hotel) for the wonderful continuously communication with me before my trip and her will-do assistance and positive attitude. The back office management team is good people too. We moved our luggage ourselves all the way crossing parking lots to the oceanview room on the second floor - stairs only. We didn't mind because we are young and strong, hopefully they do have someone to help other older travelers. The room is clean, spacious, having a newly tiled floor and nice-working A/C facing to the ocean but with obstacles -tall trees...it is okay with us.

Dining
SeaHeavest Breakfast is the best among all the dining options.
Honestly, I did not like the food choices at myBar -the menu is so boring plus food menu prices are so high i didn't want to eat anything there. burgers and sandwiches are average, indian plates are average...I would go out to any nearby cafe or restaurant if they were at 5 mins walk distance, unfortunately there are none. We did walk 15 mins to Georgetown for dinners - Guy Harveys Grill for happy hour for 5 days and dinner, also Breezes by the bay for pizza, i love the restaurant menu and affordable food options.

Diving
Oh, the best part of all. Thank you Aaron for the funny briefing on boat- you made me laugh everytime, Simon for the help on checking equipment and guide, Trevor for the cool look and a calm friendly captain, Charlotte the pretty divemaster & last but not least Lowri the pretty golden-color-eye girl at the dive shop front, she was so sweet. All the professional crews plus high quality well-maintained boats equals excellent diving. I love the part that the crew was willing to take a short tour before letting us go on our own underwater. I was an inexperienced diver, now became a experienced diver after 6 days of intensive dive trips...i am happy with that.

Night Service
I was NOT happy with the night shift front desk Jean - the woman wearing glasses who did not want to help at all for both of the encounters. First of all, she would be very hesitated to open the locked front door at around 8:30pm even with a security guard standing next to her. I needed help to find out if a restaurant which locates in West Point Rd was opened before taking a bus to go. She showed no interest of helping me by saying thing to push me off with an attitude...."there is no West Point!" i am a first-time traveler in this island can't believe i was treated like that. I replied with correction - West point road in West Bay. "yea, they should be opened!" I could be better off by thinking it-should-be-opened than asking a local right? then she asked me for my room number so she could charge me for the phone call she was about to make for me. What a nice service!

This hotel has its charm for divers but not for everyone. I would still recommend divers to dive here because the ocean is right there. If you are not a diver, at least not even one in your group, don't stay here, go to SMB for better hotel better service better food.

For me, i will stay again for diving. Thank you Management for the effort you did for me. I sincerely thank you!

Room Tip: Oceanview ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!