“Truly for divers!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Save Saved
You added Sunset House to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   390 South Church Street | PO Box 479, George Town KY1-1106, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Direct Bookings Only
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in George Town
New York City, New York
“Truly for divers!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I just came back from the 7 nights/ 6 days dive vacation with Sunset House 08/31 - 09/07. Hotel itself is not a luxury type, but it is fully built for divers, everything needed for a dive is basically there. I am actually impressed by the Sunset Divers - boats, equipment & crews there, without them, I don't think Sunset House be this famous.

Front Desk/Room
Arriving at the hotel after a long early morning traveling, check-in front desk Jennifer was polite and helpful. I specifically want to thank the reservation desk Kim (i did not see her at the hotel) for the wonderful continuously communication with me before my trip and her will-do assistance and positive attitude. The back office management team is good people too. We moved our luggage ourselves all the way crossing parking lots to the oceanview room on the second floor - stairs only. We didn't mind because we are young and strong, hopefully they do have someone to help other older travelers. The room is clean, spacious, having a newly tiled floor and nice-working A/C facing to the ocean but with obstacles -tall trees...it is okay with us.

Dining
SeaHeavest Breakfast is the best among all the dining options.
Honestly, I did not like the food choices at myBar -the menu is so boring plus food menu prices are so high i didn't want to eat anything there. burgers and sandwiches are average, indian plates are average...I would go out to any nearby cafe or restaurant if they were at 5 mins walk distance, unfortunately there are none. We did walk 15 mins to Georgetown for dinners - Guy Harveys Grill for happy hour for 5 days and dinner, also Breezes by the bay for pizza, i love the restaurant menu and affordable food options.

Diving
Oh, the best part of all. Thank you Aaron for the funny briefing on boat- you made me laugh everytime, Simon for the help on checking equipment and guide, Trevor for the cool look and a calm friendly captain, Charlotte the pretty divemaster & last but not least Lowri the pretty golden-color-eye girl at the dive shop front, she was so sweet. All the professional crews plus high quality well-maintained boats equals excellent diving. I love the part that the crew was willing to take a short tour before letting us go on our own underwater. I was an inexperienced diver, now became a experienced diver after 6 days of intensive dive trips...i am happy with that.

Night Service
I was NOT happy with the night shift front desk Jean - the woman wearing glasses who did not want to help at all for both of the encounters. First of all, she would be very hesitated to open the locked front door at around 8:30pm even with a security guard standing next to her. I needed help to find out if a restaurant which locates in West Point Rd was opened before taking a bus to go. She showed no interest of helping me by saying thing to push me off with an attitude...."there is no West Point!" i am a first-time traveler in this island can't believe i was treated like that. I replied with correction - West point road in West Bay. "yea, they should be opened!" I could be better off by thinking it-should-be-opened than asking a local right? then she asked me for my room number so she could charge me for the phone call she was about to make for me. What a nice service!

This hotel has its charm for divers but not for everyone. I would still recommend divers to dive here because the ocean is right there. If you are not a diver, at least not even one in your group, don't stay here, go to SMB for better hotel better service better food.

For me, i will stay again for diving. Thank you Management for the effort you did for me. I sincerely thank you!

Room Tip: Oceanview ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Oliveira de Azemeis, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I just spent 12 days in Sunset House with 10 days of diving. I had high expectations based on the positive reviews on TripAdvisor, but all my expectations were exceeded. This is the perfect hotel for divers. The rooms are large, clean, very comfortable and well equipped without over-the-top luxury or frills. Little touches though, like the extra towels fresh every day are appreciated by those spending all day in and out of the sea. We had an ocean view room, and what a view! We could literally walk 10 steps from our private balcony and drop into the warm ocean "pool". The hotel layout means there is always a view of the ocean but sunset seen from the large deck of the on site "My Bar" is incredible. The staff were exceptional - everyone from the security guard to the ever busy gardeners were cheerful and pleasant, but the waiters deserve special mention - friendly and cheerful and extremely efficient. They knew our names from the very first day and never failed to greet us as we passed on the way to another superb dive. The food that they served is also fantastic. Diver-friendy wraps, fish tacos and salads make for great lunches and the other International dishes are delicious and beautifully presented, but the Indian menu is just out of this world. We had breakfast included in our rate and it was also very generous with a large variety of options to choose from.
As for the diving - Sunset Divers are fantastic. All the staff go out of their way to make sure everyone is happy but Simon, Roger, Reese and Aaron were exceptional and had us continually in hysterics.
The boats are good, fast and comfortable for divers without being overcrowded and the dive sites are varied. Shore diving from the hotel is also excellent. We particularly enjoyed going out to visit "Puppy", the friendly Grey Angelfish resident on the wreck of the Nicholson. It's also the only place I've ever come face to face with a submarine while scuba diving!
Also couldn't fail to mention Murphy, the dog who manages to be even more welcoming while taking Keith, the manager, for his morning and evening walks.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth paying extra. Ours was 401.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Recently stayed for the first time at the Sunset House with my wife and a friend. Planned the trip on a whim about 3-4 weeks out, which started August 17th. We generally avoid the Caribbean in the summer and early fall months due to weather. However, we needed an escape from work and took a chance anyway. I'm glad we did, not only was the weather excellent, but our whole experience at the Sunset House was perfect. I've been bareboating sailboats for the last 15 years, so I'm used to doing things myself,..and we have sailed and dove all over the Caribbean/South Pacific....so we have seen allot,..good and not so good......
The Hotel Staff/Front Desk,...friendly and courteous,..no problems here,..the room was updated, clean and roomy,..nice view of the ocean....The location of the Sunset House is a short, 15 min walk to town. Cathy Church's store across and below from the front desk is well stocked with goodies and also has a very friendly and helpful staff...
The Diving- They have quite the dive operation going here, as an example they even fill the bottles offsite as to not expose guests to what would be quite a bit of compressor noise judging by how many bottles they go through in a day.....the dive masters/instructors are friendly, fun, outgoing and a pleasure to be around both in and out of the water.....If you can't get along with and have fun with these guys and gals,..you've got issues.....Once they size you up,..first dive or two they let you off on your own with your dive buddy or just as happily guide you around the interesting features of the dive site.
The diving itself was quite fun and varied,...my group really enjoyed the swim throughs and the Kittiwake..The dive boats are as good as any I have seen, and the rides are fairly short...The house reef is quite nice also.
The Bar/Food,....My Bar,..not sure what I could say that hasn't already be said, wonderful service, fun staff,...perfect location, great drinks,.....we had most of our lunches here, and some dinners,..all of which was excellent,..as was the breakfast plan over at the restaurant....You could book a week here and you really don't need to venture off anywhere.....We did,..just to change it up a bit for dinner,...Guy Harvey's is a short walk to town and not to be missed is Calypso Grill....
If you like great diving, great all around staff, good food and arguably one of the best bars in the Caribbean.....you can't go wrong with the Sunset House.....

Room Tip: stayed in an oceanfront room,..great view,..short stroll to the water,dive boats, food and bar.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Watrdncr,

Thank you for your commentary and the good things you have to say about Jennifer! We are happy to hear that the rooms were satisfactory for you. With regards to the diving, I will get to that in a bit.

What Ms. Watrdncr failed to mention in her comments about her experience here at Sunset House is that she represented herself as having a full service brick and mortar dive center in California, when in fact, it is only her, her website, a phone number and friends. While we went ahead and gave her a large commission for her group (22 in all including Watrdncr, not 25), we accepted everyone's credit card individually as she did not have a company check or account. We had met Ms.Watrdncr at a trade show in Long Beach, California and had explained the resort fully by Resort Manager Karin Sahm.

Upon arrival and check-in, two gentleman in her group that booked had not let her or us know that one "needed" a downstairs floor room, as he could not do steps rather well. This gentleman was adamant, that he could not do stairs, so we GAVE him his own room at no charge to him or against Ms. Watrdncr's group package. This now took an extra room which was the only room we had left during this holiday season.

We also set up and made their arrangements for diving on the East Side of the island for them. 19 out of the group were totally delightful and we bought the group pizza on their last night. Everyone BUT Ms. Watrdncr and two others were just true Sunset House guests!

Now, the Diving and the Mysterious Sunset House SECRET Rules.

As any other guest of Sunset House will attest to, there are no secret rules that we go by as Ms. Watrdncr claims. The Cayman Islands Watersports Association (one sector of the Cayman Islands Tourism Association) is quite clear and if anyone is unsure, one can Google "Cayman Islands Diving Rules" and you will see what every dive operation follows down here. It is why the Cayman Islands have such a safe and extremely great dive product! (Listed in Scuba Diving Magazine Top 100 as BEST OVERALL DESTINATION. Pg 16, Jan/Feb 2014 edition)

The Operation Guidelines for our customers are quite short and quite clear. The Guidelines begins with, "The Watersports Operator's first duty is the safety of all divers, snorkelers, riders, participants and other individuals affected by the Watersports Operation". It goes on to say, "The Watersports operator shall abide by the following":

While I will not post the full 34 page Guidelines we as a professional dive operator in the Cayman Islands must adhere to, I will point out a few.

8. The recommended maximum depth limit with recreational scuba customers is 100 feet/30 meters, if within certification (See Appendix 'B'). The required maximum depth with recreational scuba customers is 130 feet/39 meters and 100 feet/39 meters for repetitive dives the same day.

(Appendix B points out that not all certification levels are allowed to go the 100', such as Discover Diver Programs, Jr. Divers, Scuba Rangers, etc.) As every morning we go out on a morning two tank dive, the first being a wall dive of 100' for 50 minutes, followed by a approximate 40 minute safety stop before we do a second shallower dive, we are obviously doing REPETETIVE DIVES, thus the 100' Maximum.

While Ms.Watrdncr points out that she had experience people in her group, she fails to mention that she had only 3 certified instructors including herself. She also had two 13-year-old Jr. Open Water Divers and 6 divers who had less than 25 dives experience. (5 of these divers were in single digit to the total number of open water dives they had done)

14. Divemasters are NOT required to endanger their own safety or the safety of other customers by chasing a run-away diver.

15. Speaks of Guidelines regarding Refresher courses...etc. and number 16

16. Rogue divers, defined as those divers who refuse to adhere to the safety code of the CITA, should be reported immediately to all dive operators via email broadcast from the CITA membership office.

The Dive Operation at Morrit's Tortuga Club.

While the diving around all three islands is spectacular, there are different things to see around sides of the islands. Ms. Watrdncr had decided that part of her group wanted to dive on the East End, which we helped her arrange.

This is a quote from Rod McDowall, Operations Manager at Red Sail Sports and Tortuga Divers.... "please be Aware that Red Sail Sports and Tortuga Divers abide by depth and time policies or recommendations made by our own internal decisions or CITA guidelines. We use the 100' depth limit as our maximum, depth and the time available depends on their computer reading and
our company expectations as to the amount of air we like them to have in the tank at the end of the dive for safe dive practices. These policies are understood and very well received by 99% of our dive customers.'

So in fact, Ms. Watrdncr and the couple of divers that went with her, did not do any deep diving at all at Tortuga and as any certified diver would know, you would not do reverse profiles with your dives in a 24 hour period... 100' followed by a 60' dive, followed by a 130' dive. Tortuga Divers afternoon dive has a depth limit of 60'.

It is sad that three people out of this group,including Ms. Watrdncr, who professes herself to be a dive professional, could blatantly break not only depth, but length of time and our policy of coming up with 500 psi of air. Plus the fact (and it is stated everywhere from our website, to our boats and on our dive shop, NO SOLO DIVING, yet Ms. Watrdncr and a couple others on her group, including the gentleman who could not walk up stairs, were caught on numerous occasions and spoken about it. Speaking of the gentleman that could not walk up stairs, he broke his profiles so badly, that he put his dive computer into decompression, ran out of air to take him out of a decompression dive and lead him being not allowed in the water for 24 hours. This gentleman who had the difficulty, walked to town over a mile while the others were out diving the rest of his stay.

Believe me, when I say, this was not the model of her entire group. Many of them where shocked at the attitude of their group leader, thanked us for our service, great hospitality and our concern for their safety and well being on their dive vacation.

Since Ms. Watrdncr was the instigator of many of these guideline infractions, Ms. Watrdncr's real name and the blatant solo diver are the only names that has now been shared under Section 16.

I am also very please to share, that PADI (the Professional Association of Dive Instructors) believes in our product here at Sunset House so much, that for the 15th year in a row has reserved the entire resort this June for their PADI Diving Society week long event Total Submersion.
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have stayed at Sunset House many times and consider it our home for Grand Cayman. We always have great food and the accommodations are very good. The dive staff is the greatest and work very hard to make sure that all dives are good and a lot of fun. Sunset House has always worked very hard to make sure we (and all the people traveling with us) are happy and having a great vacation. We are looking forward to making another trip to Sunset House sometime in the near future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Majadahonda, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and me spent from August 9 until 15 in Sunset hotel, diving everyday, with a 6 days package and also unlimited shore diving. We also did the Kitti wake dive, amazing!! But we skipped the ray city one and some diver colleagues that went told us we were certained it is a visit to take photos, but its not real diving. The hotel room espacious, comfortable beds and although its not five star place for diving its perfect!!
The food in the restaurant very good, we just had breakfast included in our hotel rate, and it was very nice; but also we had several times lunch and dinner at My Bar and the quality and service provided was top! Also some of the waitresses were from Dominican Republic and they were ver nice speaking to us in Spanish when they realize it was our mother tongue.
One tip: the hotel shop is very good for divers and also souvenirs. We notice it the last day with everything packed, if we'd known before our submarine photos won't be so blue!, we would have bought a magenta filter to solve it, next time!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is was our third stay at this property and would gladly stay here again.
Everyone at the property was extremely friendly and helpful. They always have smiles on their faces and always cracking jokes!! Great staff overall!!
We didn't stay in the waterfront rooms and we are thinking that maybe next time we should. Our room was clean and the AC worked perfectly!! However, if there is ONE thing that would make this place PERFECT it would be updated rooms!
You cannot beat the convenience of location. Almost everything you could possibly need is right on property. The Sunset Dive Shop is on property and they are AMAZING!! The diving is always great, looooong bottom times (not like other operators that limit the dives to 30min), clean & comfortable boats, and an excellent staff as well. Simon, Aaron, and Roger: THANK YOU for a SUPERB time!! There is the SeaHarvest Restaurant, My Bar, and Cathy Church's Photo Studio and Camera Shop... all right there so there is no reason to have to leave the resort. Overall I would highly recommend if you are going to Cayman for some diving!! It's no-frills, but super convenient!!

Room Tip: The Oceanfront Rooms are very popular and have the king size beds. Worth the extra money.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed seven nights in an Ocean Front room. As we didn't spend much time on our back deck, not sure we'd spend the money on this again. The view was beautiful, to be sure, but we didn't spend much time looking at it. The hotel is clean and the rooms are minimal, but we weren't in them all day, so they fit our needs. The diving staff here were wonderful and helpful. The front desk, however, not always so much. "I just work the front desk" not a great customer service response. We loved swimming in the warm pool in the evening. The waterfall is a really nice touch. My Bar has a nice, outside atmosphere, but if you're going to have anything other than the bar food, or the Indian food, I would head to somewhere else on the island. There're better restaurant meals at better prices elsewhere. Overall, this was a good experience, very nice and convenient for divers. We'll probably be back upon our return to the Caymans.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!