I just came back from the 7 nights/ 6 days dive vacation with Sunset House 08/31 - 09/07. Hotel itself is not a luxury type, but it is fully built for divers, everything needed for a dive is basically there. I am actually impressed by the Sunset Divers - boats, equipment & crews there, without them, I don't think Sunset House be this famous.
Arriving at the hotel after a long early morning traveling, check-in front desk Jennifer was polite and helpful. I specifically want to thank the reservation desk Kim (i did not see her at the hotel) for the wonderful continuously communication with me before my trip and her will-do assistance and positive attitude. The back office management team is good people too. We moved our luggage ourselves all the way crossing parking lots to the oceanview room on the second floor - stairs only. We didn't mind because we are young and strong, hopefully they do have someone to help other older travelers. The room is clean, spacious, having a newly tiled floor and nice-working A/C facing to the ocean but with obstacles -tall trees...it is okay with us.
SeaHeavest Breakfast is the best among all the dining options.
Honestly, I did not like the food choices at myBar -the menu is so boring plus food menu prices are so high i didn't want to eat anything there. burgers and sandwiches are average, indian plates are average...I would go out to any nearby cafe or restaurant if they were at 5 mins walk distance, unfortunately there are none. We did walk 15 mins to Georgetown for dinners - Guy Harveys Grill for happy hour for 5 days and dinner, also Breezes by the bay for pizza, i love the restaurant menu and affordable food options.
Oh, the best part of all. Thank you Aaron for the funny briefing on boat- you made me laugh everytime, Simon for the help on checking equipment and guide, Trevor for the cool look and a calm friendly captain, Charlotte the pretty divemaster & last but not least Lowri the pretty golden-color-eye girl at the dive shop front, she was so sweet. All the professional crews plus high quality well-maintained boats equals excellent diving. I love the part that the crew was willing to take a short tour before letting us go on our own underwater. I was an inexperienced diver, now became a experienced diver after 6 days of intensive dive trips...i am happy with that.
I was NOT happy with the night shift front desk Jean - the woman wearing glasses who did not want to help at all for both of the encounters. First of all, she would be very hesitated to open the locked front door at around 8:30pm even with a security guard standing next to her. I needed help to find out if a restaurant which locates in West Point Rd was opened before taking a bus to go. She showed no interest of helping me by saying thing to push me off with an attitude...."there is no West Point!" i am a first-time traveler in this island can't believe i was treated like that. I replied with correction - West point road in West Bay. "yea, they should be opened!" I could be better off by thinking it-should-be-opened than asking a local right? then she asked me for my room number so she could charge me for the phone call she was about to make for me. What a nice service!
This hotel has its charm for divers but not for everyone. I would still recommend divers to dive here because the ocean is right there. If you are not a diver, at least not even one in your group, don't stay here, go to SMB for better hotel better service better food.
For me, i will stay again for diving. Thank you Management for the effort you did for me. I sincerely thank you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- I've have found the beginning of why so many people love Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel for Divers, by Divers. "Stepping out of my room, feeling the sunshine on my face, catching that breath of fragrant tropical breeze, gazing into the alluring blue water..". More profound words were never spoken! This family owned resort is more of a big guest house, than a hotel. Everything you have dreamed for a Caribbean Dive Vacation is here! From palm trees to an amazing house reef; from 5 custom dive boats, to a famous underwater photographer; from amazing Caribbean concoctions, to spicy Indian dishes; they all await you! And combined with warm Caymanian hospitality, you'll wonder why you waited so long to visit this West Indian oasis, or why you haven't come back sooner. Of course, the Caymans and Sunset House are a diver's paradise, with crystal-clear waters awaiting your arrival. Come to Sunset House today and experience now, what others have seen for over the last 50 years. An underwater photographer's perfect dive. Shipwrecks, curious big eels, cuddly stingrays and a legendary mermaid await you just steps from your room! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sunset House Hotel George Town
- Sunset Hotel George Town
- Sunset Resort George Town
- Sunset House Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands