“Fantastic Northern Italian Food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 84 Restaurants in George Town
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Pizza & Pasta
Barrington, Illinois
“Fantastic Northern Italian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Wonderful atmosphere, outside with a beautiful view of the sea. The staff is always helpful and friendly, plus they always make sure to thank us for dining there every time we leave. The pappardelle del Duca is amazing as is the chicken valdostana. Amazing flavors on both dishes. Save room for dessert...super great desserts! Hope this place is around for years to come!

Visited November 2012

Grand Cayman
“$$$”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I like the atmosphere. If the weather is mild, the outside seating has a great ambience daytime or night-time with white curtains slightly billowing in the breeze.
The service could use some brushing up. I've been several times and it is not consistence but for the most part is good and friendly.
Food is very good. Best gnocchi I've had on the island actually. Good ceviche too. I've never had a bad meal there actually.
Now on the down side and why it may be a while before I go back.. I was recently there for lunch with a friend. I get an hour like most people on this island, however I was late getting back to work on this occassion. I think it's important to consider that M-F, when you're in work attire it's obvious you are not a tourist and an effort should be made to keep within a certain time frame to get people in and out in under an hour.
But the worst part was that the bill was not a lunch bill. It was a dinner bill. My friend ordered one of the lunch specials and it was $34US!! But of course you are not told this until you see it on the bill. For lunch!! wow. Good thing it was good! I ordered a sandwich which was $16US and was asked if I wanted salad or fries, so I assumed it came with it. It did not. Chose the lesser of 2 evils..salad. Was boring so only had one bite. I actually wanted neither and feel I should have been told that it was extra. That added an unnecessary $4 onto the bill which just made it even higher and annoyed me. No one wants to feel tricked by 'upselling'.
I guess you may expect the lunch specials to be a bit pricier.. but at that price, I consider that dinner price not a lunch price. Need a "Lunch " menu!!
Please note that the menu is in CI so the USD prices above are approximate

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
DolceVitaKY, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your review, we always appreciate good or bad reviews on this web site, it helps us to improve ourselves and train our staff.
Of course we want all our guests to have a good experience at Dolce Vita, and when the service does not meet the expectations we will go above and beyond to correct it. But we are a little surprised about this comment being that one of you is from a local restaurant and works in the same business, a friendly comment or suggestion at the time would have even more appreciated, especially as an industry discount was applied to your bill.
During Lunch period we also offer 3 course set menu (Monday to Friday) for $14.95 plus gratuities to satisfy our guests for their limited lunch break time.
We are sure that in your restaurant you try and upsell, in no way do we do this here with the approach of trying to deceive our guests.

Ercole Musso
Chef Owner
Midland, Michigan
“Definitely one of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife had the scallop starter doubled to make a main and it was excellent in a puff pastry and Gorgonzola sauce. Different and very good. I had the mahi mahi with capers and lemon butter sauce. It was excellent. Perfectly cooked fish. The wine that the waiter recommended was also excellent. Worth seeking out.

Visited October 2012
Miami Beach, Florida
“Excellent service, Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I visited La Dolce Vita Restaurante on my recent trip to Grand Cayman islands and I was very pleased with the service, the view, and the food. I ordered the Business Lunch Special, a three course meal, well priced and quite delicious: a caesar salad, butter lemon sole with vegetables, and a profiterole to close which was freshly made to perfection. The espresso was truly italian style and then came the icing on the cake: the thank you mini sugar cookies, which were also freshly made by the chef (Ercole Musso). The staff at the restaurant was very friendly and professional. I truly enjoyed the experience and will definitely return on my next trip to Cayman

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami Beach, Florida
“Great Views, Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a delicious meal at Dolce Vita and the service was great. We had the special menu and all of the dishes were expertly prepared and well presented. The restaurant looks over the water and there is outside and inside dining. Most of the staff is Italian - very warm and friendly. We finished the meal with foamy rich espresso and wonderful home made butter cookies...Delicious!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere