“Just Ok” 3 of 5 stars

The Ritz-Carlton, West Bay Road, Grand Cayman, Grand Cayman
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Blue By Eric Ripert is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 245 Restaurants in Grand Cayman
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
New York City, New York
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have also been to Le Bernadin which is Eric Ripert's restaurant here in NYC. Le Bernadin is MUCH MUCH better.

Food was OK. The local seafood was very fresh and good - but the rest was not incredible. Not as expected. Our bill for my husband and I came to $550.00. We did order a nice bottle of wine. But for that price for a dinner we expect the highest quality and service.

Our entrees were cold and the fish didn't taste right. We sent them back and what they came out with was worlds better. But still very salty. For such an expensive meal you shouldn't have to return your entree.

My scallop was not fresh. My cooked oysters we inedible. I couldn't eat them and the restaurant didn't do anything to make up for it.

Not recommended at all.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Montville, New Jersey
“Over priced Over Rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We are family of 5 and 3 are kids that don't drink. We all agreed on the tasting menu,and after almost 3 hours at this restuant and not being full when we left,I had emptiness feeling in my wallet as I received the bill for $1100.00. No dinner is that good. Very disappointed ,to see a tourist trap in one of the nicest hotels on the island.But then again they allow Seven to serve a $40.00 breakfast every morning,so again a family of 5, cost 200.00 to get breakfast evey morning with no other choices except for a deli that has nothing but crisonts. 2 traps in one hotel!

Visited March 2013
Southeast
“Tough to Review Based upon Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We struggled on whether to give this restaurant three or four stars. Finally, based upon value, we went with three stars.

This was our most-anticipated meal of the trip because of the restaurant's affiliation with Eric Ripert. I think it did not live up to expectations. In short, you can get a better overall meal in almost any small city in the United States.

That said, every member of our family had at least one "wow" dish. My wife had the tuna foie gras that was incredible. I am not a vegetable eater, but had a vegetarian agnolotti that had me virtually licking my plate. My youngest son had the kid's beef tenderloin, which he loved. My oldest had the popcorn dessert, which he raved over.

But, other parts of the meal were either "ho hum" or just not good. My wife's cobia was dry. My oldest and I had the tenderloin main course. He received my medium rare steak and I got his medium. Both had the slightly gamy taste that you don't identify with really good meat.

The wait-staff was incredibly well-trained. But, they were undermanned. Our two-man team was responsible for six tables. This is not to say that service was bad. But, at every other restaurant of this price point, you water glass never goes below half-full. We had to ask for water on a number of occasions.

For the kind of money that we paid, we expected an incredible overall experience. We spent over $600 for three adult menus, a kids menu and six drinks/glasses of wine. Blue did not deliver an experience justifying that expense.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City, Missouri
“Way overpriced and way impressed with itself”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We went to dinner there with three families. The facility is wonderful. However, the menu we were given was not the menu that was available on the website. The staff had a bit of an attitude.

The food was adequate. I ordered the tuna appetizer but the texture was more of a fruit rollup than tuna when it was done. The taste was good but the visual was not. I had the lobster bisque but there was not enough bisque to actually get a spoonful in the bottom of the bowl. I believe the soup was good but there was almost nothing in the bowl. The grouper was decent but unimaginative. The highlight of the meal was the banana ice cream.

Add that to the fact that it was a fixed price meal (98CI or about 120 US) and the value drops way down on the chart - most of the other meals we ate during the week would have exceeded this on the price/value curve.

So unless you are dying to eat at the Ritz or don't mind spending an exorbitant amount of money on meals, I would suggest there are far better options in Grand Cayman

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Good meal but not great like I was hoping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I read a lot of spotty reviews on this place but was he'll bent on trying it. My husband and I had a fine meal not exceptional. I expect more than fine if you're going to charge me those prices. We had the tasting menu and some of the courses were fantastic but others were heavy handed with salt I expect well seasoned and perfectly cooked fish at an Eric Ripert restaurant

Visited February 2013