“outstanding trip and hosts” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Stingray City boat tours in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. I’m Mark Button, and I would like to warmly welcome you aboard Moby Dick Tours. I’m an English guy who fell in love with the Cayman Islands fifteen years ago, and I’ve lived here ever since, having recently gained my joint citizenship. I started Moby Dick Tours so that I could share with you some of the amazing experiences here in Cayman, especially the famous Stingray City, one of the most amazing places in the world.I saw the opportunity to bring professionalism and the highest standards of customer care to the tour industry here in Cayman, and together with my partner Richard, we have brought together the best people and the best equipment, to ensure your excursion with us will live on in your mind as one of the most special experiences you have ever had. I’ve made literally thousands of trips to Stingray City over the past ten years, but I never cease to be amazed and humbled by these beautiful creatures who choose to come and interact with us. And I’m sure you’ll feel the same, too. It gives me enormous pleasure to share the experience afresh, as I bring new people to this wonderful and unique place.As most of our clients come from visiting cruise ships, we know exactly what you need. So let us worry about getting you from the dock in own custom built bus, and back again safely in time for your sailing. That leaves you free to worry about nothing except having a fantastic time!
Jacksonville, Florida
“outstanding trip and hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Last stop on a 7 day Cruise in early December--Grand Cayman. As a Diver, I'd heard of "Stingray City" many times, and naturally the diving available in the Caymans. With the Family along, a Family oriented adventure was needed. LOTS of web sites read, ratings gathered AND a little advice from a friend who had lived on Grand Cayman for a few years led us to Moby Dick Tours.

We got off the boat, (short tender ride) and immediately found the MBT area (Just out and to the left) and checked in. We were early, so we walked around. Once the Departure time arrived (we waited for some other cruisers!) off we went. Please note: They drive on the left side in GC.. just opposite the states. Was a little disconcerting, but the ride to the boat was short! A quick boarding process (there were only about 12 or so passengers), and we were on our way.

First stop...a good hour on the inside reef fringe. We hit ours about low tide Plus/Minus, and yet, there were plenty of opportunies to "fly" over the reed, corals, sea fans and fish. One of the guides knew about a LARGE green moray eel--easily 6' in length. Was AMAZING to watch and experience. The fish, the reef....HEAVEN!!! The crew helped with the kids and us--assisted in ensure we had well fitting masks, snorkels and fins, and lifejackets for those who wanted. Near the reef, the water was shallow enough to stand (don't stand in the sand patches within the reef boundaries tho!) and got deeper as you left the reef for the boat. Great boat, lots of room, both under cover and in the sunshine. good storage--could be used an an excellent dive boat as well. Water and koolaid provided--even a "head" (bathroom) if needed.

Everyone climbed up and we motored a short bit over to the "stingrays"... Here is where the crew shined...they knew ALL the Stingrays--and had described them to us.. but to see these majestic creatures and be able to touch them..and FEED them is simply amazing. Even my 4 year old fed the biggest ray out there! They are gentle and wonderful! We saw, played with and touched HUGE Rays (about 6' across) and even baby ones.. just a couple feet across. All in about 3 1/2 feet of water! We all had an exellent time enjoying this experience. My waterproof camera case sprung a leak on the reef, and was useless for the Rays... One of the MDT owners (Mark) used his camera and took a few family shots of us... and sent them along a few days later via email--and included a nice "thank you " note. Doesn't get much better in the world of customer consideration and service.

From there, a 20 minute ride in--oddly enough, my wife and I got in between the two owners--ex pat Brits--who had a "Board meeting" and decided a few things about the company, worked out holiday vacations and managed to chat us up quite nicely...I think they were quite "Chuffed" about that....(we learned a bunch of British colloquiallisms and slang in that 20 minutes) .. that alone was worth the trip!

While we were wandering around the port area, we were able to look at other pricing, promises and tours....some were straight runs to Stingray City and back...some weren't, but did see that MDT was very competitive in price, and after talking with Mark some more, we mostly got the idea that Moby Dick tours wasn't interested in quantity, but rather Quality..and we got that!

Even on the way back from our experience, we asked about local food and experience--they gave a few recommendations and when asked where THEY go...well, we went and were not disappointed in the least--and did I mention that we got dropped off Right at the restaurant and not far away, or in a "convenient" spot? First class treatment and consideration the whole time we were with them.

Highly recommended, WILL absolutely book with them again should we return to Grand Cayman.

Visited December 2012

Bridgenorth, Ontario, Canada
“Awesome!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Went in December with my husband and 2 kids ages 3 and 5. We stopped in Grand Cayman as a port on the Disney Fantasy cruise. We were looking forward to this adventure and it didn't disappoint. Really really enjoyed it - a once in a lifetime experience for sure!! We were all able to touch, feed and even hold stingrays. Staff are top notch and made this experience really special - went out of their way to make sure you felt comfortable around the rays and that you got to have as much time with them as you wished. Even if you decide that you don't want to swim with them, it is pretty remarkable just to sit on the boat and observe them. Amazing animals!!! We all went for a snorkel nearby the stingray site before the stingray swim and got to see some beautiful coral and fish. Parents, if you are coming from a cruise ship, bring some snacks with you - we were in a rush to get off boat and forgot so our boys were a bit peckish by the time the trip was over. Had the best fish and chips we'd ever had after the trip in a restaurant recommended by the Moby Dick - can't remember name right now but it was excellent! Thanks Moby Dick!!!

Visited December 2012
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
“More fun at StingRay City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Mark, Richard, and Nicholas did it again. We used Moby Dick Tours a second time last week when we were in Grand Cayman on a cruise. They did just as good as when we first used them in 2011. Much fun at the reef and at the sand bar. We were in a group of just 16 (four had not arrived from the ship). When we were at the sand bar there were other ships of 50 - 75 people. Chaos over there while we easily interacted with the rays. Highly recommend this tour group and they cost about half what the cruise ship tours cost.

Hope, British Columbia, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“safety first????”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I just returned from an excursion with Moby Dick tours in the Grand Caymens. We went out to the reef to snorkel and see the sting rays. The sting ray part of the tour was great and we really enjoyed interacting with the sting rays. I did not enjoy the snorkeling portion of the trip. My husband and I both felt there should have been more attention given to the safety of the individual swimmers due to the very rough water conditions. In addition no crew member asked who had snorkeled before and no instructions were given to "newbies." Basically we just jumped in and tried to swim away. The waves were so strong that one of the ladies was pushed right back into the side of the boat. Her partner helped her out of the water and they waited on board for the rest of us. I had not snorkeled before and was really struggling with the equipment and the water conditions. My husband stayed close and helped me when I was having trouble. It was not the crew's fault that the water conditions were not ideal but I really do think they should have been more safety conscious. I would only recommend this tour to people who are strong swimmers and are experienced snorkelers because apparently this type of rough water is not uncommon so close to the reef.

northern virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Stingray City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Worthwhile experience. This trip was so much fun and these guys are great tour guides. Far better than prices the ship was charging and we got to snorkel also. They get great marks for a reason and we are glad we went this route. Had same great experience in Ocho Rios through Moby Dick.