“A Very Special Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Turtle Nest Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Cayman
Turtle Nest Inn
166 Bodden Town Road, Grand Cayman   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Grand Cayman
Boulder, Colorado
“A Very Special Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Five stars, absolutely, but not for you if five stars means a place like The Ritz Carlton on Seven Mile Beach. This felt more like a lovely, simple, European inn. My husband and I stayed in Apartment #5 at the Inn rather than the condo building. It was private, immaculate (and I am very particular about cleanliness), and cheery. Yes, there was some street noise, but it was not a bother to us. You could avoid that by staying in one of the apartments that face the ocean or, as we did, turning on the air conditioner at night. From our private balcony off the kitchen we could see and hear the ocean. In fact, we were supposed to upgrade to a condo unit mid-way through our stay, but we opted to stay in our apartment. We liked the location of the room, the view, and the daily maid service which was excellent. We used our well-equipped kitchen and the great outdoor grill to fix some meals that we often ate on the ocean-facing terrace, and we often dined with other guests who were doing the same thing. There was plenty of room to chat with other guests or have your own, intimate table.

It was such a treat to have included in the price snorkel equipment, chairs, an umbrella and a cooler that we could take with us anywhere on the island. While we snorkeled at many of the island's beaches, the coral reef was close to the beach at the TNI and we saw the most fish right there on the days when it wasn't too windy. (Our visit was in January when the winds come from the east.) We also enjoyed using the sea kayak that was available. The pool was immaculate, and they cleaned the beach in front of the property daily. The adjacent beaches were not as clean, so bring something to wear on your feet for beach walks. There was a fair amount of washed up glass, seaweed, and trash on those beaches. Bodden Town is not 7-Mile Beach with its long stretch of white sand and fancy resorts, but it has far more character and the feel of real island life. You might see some of the local people playing dominoes by The Grape Tree fish fry place near the inn. Don't hesitate to chat with them. They play lively games and might invite you to join in. In our opinion, the people all over the island and at the inn couldn't have been kinder or more helpful, from Donna and Duane at the front desk, to the Marleine and Alaine the owners, to Paulette who did mountains of laundry every day but still found time to chat with me about gardening and living on the island. Donna has the best personality ever and is a real asset to the TNI.

Take Donna's suggestion about going to the lobster fest on Thursday night at the South Coast Bar & Grill. The food was delicious! And try one of her famous pina coladas, too. She claims she taught Duane, so I'm sure his are great as well. Also, the inn has excellent Cuban coffee that you can purchase to brew in your kitchen. Enjoy it there, because you can't bring any Cuban products back to the US.

Hope this is helpful to prospective visitors who enjoy going off the beaten track. We travel frequently, but this is my first review because this place had such a special feel to it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

1,029 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Hopkins, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I could go on and on about the Turtle Nest Inn, I have nothing but good things to say about it. What you are getting for your money is by far the best deal on the island. The people are very friendly, the rooms very clean and best of all you are away from Georgetown where all the big hotels and cruise ships are. The snorkeling is awesome right out in front of the Inn but we had our best snorkling experience right outside of Georgetown where we had our first encounter with a reef shark, I thought my wife was going to drown she was freaking out so bad! We are already planning our next trip back, what a beautiful place!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sleepy Hollow, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I spent my January birthday at TurtleNest Inn with my 18 and 12 year old kids.Our condo (#1) was very large and spotless. There are 2 lovely pools but best of all fantastic snorkeling right out on the beach. The inn is away from the crowded touristy hotels. It is laid back and super friendly Marleine, Donna and Duane (didn't meet Alain) were wonderful. We loved Mango the dog and Kabob the cat. We loved our delicious pina coladas on the beach! I loved all the beautiful conch shells surrounding the pools.
We can not wait to go back!
Joan A.

Room Tip: We had condo#1 and did not really need such a spacious condo for 3 of us although we enjoyed the spa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Inn was impeccably clean. The staff is beyond helpful. Thank you so much Donna and Duane who are also incredibly pleasant to talk to. Asked their advice on what to do and places to eat and NEVER disappointed. One of the best places we've stayed. So nice to be In Bodden Town away from the 7 Mile craziness. The rooms are brightly decorated and you will never hear anyone next to or above you.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

we stayed at the castaway cottage with access to both pools, snorkeling outside our door, bbq hammock. The staff were friendly and even helped us to figure out how to use a chimney for the charcoal grill. The cottage had everything including a sewing kit, hair dryer, shampoo, moisturizer etc. Loved hearing the ocean everyday and night. The inside was modern and beachy with a brand new shower. Loved dolphin cove (go in late afternoon after all the cruisers have left). Also there is a weekend fish fry place a beach walk away that was to die for... Get the steamed fish at VIVINE'S restaurant yummy and seemingly island authentic.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed in beachfront condo #3 from December 15-22, 2012. I had not been to Grand Cayman before, and did not want to stay in a crowded tourist area. When I saw the great reviews on this website, I decided to give Turtle Nest Inn a try. I was not disappointed. The unit itself was probably one of the nicest places I have ever stayed in. It was spacious, very clean, amazing views, great kitchen (which was important to me because I wanted to cook all my dinners in) and the people were very friendly. I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: I saw a few reviews that said that you could go for the ocean view room and save money, but if you c...
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitefish, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Clean, friendly, and out of Georgetown......would highly recommend Staff was very helpful after problem with ac...got it up and running lickity split. Having them line up the car was an added bonus. We choose the condo and were very satisfied

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Turtle Nest Inn? Share your experiences!