First, it is Grand Cayman..everything is expensive.
This resort is located on North Sound, on the opposite leg from Seven Mile Beach. This means you are close to beaches, restaurants and activities. It’s not on Seven Mile Beach, so you don’t feel like you are in Miami Beach (it’s the Caribbean…if you want excessive glitz you can stay in the states)
The resort is going through some minor cosmetic upgrades in the public area…hardly an imposition and we never noticed any real construction noise during our second stay in February of 2013. They are transitioning from an affiliation with Ramada to Holiday Inn
The unit we stay in is a suite; complete with kitchen, dining area and living room. Overlooking the pool, beach and the blue waters of the North Sound, the view was spectacular. The room was very clean and didn’t need maintenance (and all of the appliances worked and were in good shape, including the in unit washer/dryer). The beds are newer and comfortable. Each unit has A/C that actually works (sometimes an issue in the Caribbean) and we had no problems with water pressure or hot water. The common corridor is a bit dated and has the same shore location smell that you’ll find in most areas adjacent to water. I am told that carpets are being replaced in stages. Never the less, the common spaces are clean and maintained. And, despite some complaints, we never suffered for towels or maid service
The beach is less than optimal…although if you know anything about the Caribbean, not every shore line is comprised of sugar white beaches…often surface coral abounds. This is the case here, surface coral adjoins this beach, meaning that water access is via a ladder on the dock or a small pass in the coral. They have done a passable job of back filling a large area adjacent to the water with white sand. They could use a little more soft sand, but it is more than adequate for sun bathing. Besides, the pool is just outside the restaurant and the Seven Mile Beach is only a short drive away. The pool and beach have more than ample supplies of chairs, recliners, and umbrellas.
The restaurant has very good food and the prices are in line with the other like menus in Grand Cayman. (nothing is inexpensive). You can get some value by eating less sophisticated at some the “bars” like Macabuca, Coconut Joes or Sunrise. Fosters (the island grocery chain) is about ½ mile away and this full service grocery has all of your home food needs. Most goods are within US $$ reason as far as cost, you just have to watch what items are imported long distances. This means you can eat at home if you like and the Grand Caymanian has both gas and charcoal grills for your use
A very nice golf course sits next door and is open to the public. You will want a car to get around. You don’t need one, but you will find it very convenient to get to the numerous beach and restaurant opportunities and tourist attractions such as the Turtle Farm and Rum Point. When you don’t want to drive, I haven’t heard of any of the multitude of dive operators or other water attractions such as Sting Ray City tours not picking customers up at the main entrance. Ask the front desk, they’ll arrange your trip for you. And, on Sunday mornings, free coffee and pastries while some of the tour operators present their programs. There are bicycles for rent if you are inclined to tour. The small fitness center is adequate and is hardly over used, so if you want to use it, you won’t be fighting crowds.
Overall, you’ll find more grandiose accommodations else where, but you’ll pay highly for these. You won’t find a better value, given the quality of the rooms and the view. And, the staff is great and very accommodating. Pre-plan your daily trips and activities and you’ll find plenty of time to just relax
- Also Known As:
- The Grand Caymanian Hotel
- The Grand Caymanian Hotel Grand Cayman
- Grand Caymanian Hotel
- Grand Caymanian Resort
- Hotel Grand Caymanian
- Grand Caymanian
- The Grand Caymanian Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the northern coast of The Grand Cayman Island, The Grand Caymanian Resort takes any ordinary vacation and will transform your trip into the ultimate restful, romantic, and fun getaway. Just off the beaten path in Crystal Harbour overlooking the beautiful North Sound, our resort provides quiet tranquility for those seeking relaxation. Lay out by the pool, or take a leisurely swim in the stunning, crystal clear ocean. Our property also features amenities for those looking for a bit of fun. Rent from our on-site Jetski rentals, or grab some bikes and explore the Island at a slower place with the entire family. Guests can choose from modern rooms and suites, featuring balconies and gorgeous views of our beautiful island. The sun rises directly over the center of the resort each morning, so catch the sunrise, and then catch up on sleep later with a little poolside nap. With a private, secluded location, rentals for fun in the sun, and close proximity to Seven Mile Beach, our Grand Caymanian Resort is the perfect vacation spot for families, honeymooners, and local staycations. We look forward to welcoming you with our warmest hospitality soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Olotels, Venere, Tingo, HotelsClick and Priceline so you can book your The Grand Caymanian Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.