I never write reviews, but the negative reviews I read before I left made me feel like I had to. I really have to wonder if some of the negative reviews are from people who have never traveled to the Caribbean before! I received my room here on an Interval International exchange. As far as Interval resorts, this was a little better than average. For the reviewer who thought that this was unacceptable of the Interval name, let me assure you, some of their resorts get a whole lot worse!
First, the obvious. This resort is not the Ritz Carlton. You are not paying for anything at that level. You will need to temper your expectations. You are not on 7 mile beach, but it isn't inaccessible (Yes, you need a car. No, driving on the left side of the road isn't that big of a deal). I'm not sure where some previous reviewers were driving to get to the resort. Yes, the road to the resort is a little bit twisty as it winds around a golf course, but the road is in good condition, it is not unsafe, it is not excessively long. It DOES have some speedbumps, because the road is full of pedestrians and golf carts. Is this a problem? No. It just means you can't drive 50mph down it. Relax and enjoy the view.
QUIET! Away from the hustle and bustle, but it is close to everything that matters (just for fun, I timed it.... 7 minutes from my room at the Grand Caymanian to the Ritz Cartlon lobby via car).
Clean. The resort grounds are immaculate. Staff was caring for the greens and the pool and the beach every day I was there. The room (I was in the older phase 1) was clean and tidy. The only thing that indicated the age of the room was the VCR in the room. I'm not there to watch movies, so who cares?
Good staff. People were extremely friendly, and every request we had was handled expediently. They are doing a handful of renovations to prepare for the Holiday Inn name, but the staff managed it in the way that if not for the construction crew in the lobby, you would never know!
The "beach". It's not really a sandy beach as much as an area that is covered with sand. If you are sitting on a hammock though, it does the job. However, given the location on the island, it gets windy. During my stay, the winds varied from "non-existant" all the way to "there goes my hat again!". When it got windy enough to lose my hat or blow around pages of my book, I either moved over to the pool or a beach on 7 Mile Beach.
The pool was clean and inviting. My problem was there isn't much of a shallow end if you are on the shorter side. You get in and almost immediately, you walk into 5 feet deep water, which wasn't conducive for wading or standing and talking - what I like to do in a pool while on vacation! Get yourself a pool noodle or lounge raft (not provided by the resort) if this is how you like to use a pool.
Non-guests dominated the resort on the weekend. Around 10 kids (who were not guests at the resort) were running rampant around the pool and the resort. Their "chaperone" wasn't really concerned when they were running across our chairs and jumping on our stuff. Out of control.
Summary: You can't beat the price. I happened to enjoy the location, since it was easy to access everything that was worth while, yet still gave me a relaxing home base. There are a couple of deficiencies, but not the horrific experience that others make it out to be.
- Also Known As:
- The Grand Caymanian Hotel Grand Cayman
- The Grand Caymanian Hotel
- Grand Caymanian Hotel
- Grand Caymanian Resort
- Hotel Grand Caymanian
- Grand Caymanian
- The Grand Caymanian Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the northern coast of The Grand Cayman Island, The Grand Caymanian Resort takes any ordinary vacation and will transform your trip into the ultimate restful, romantic, and fun getaway. Just off the beaten path in Crystal Harbour overlooking the beautiful North Sound, our resort provides quiet tranquility for those seeking relaxation. Lay out by the pool, or take a leisurely swim in the stunning, crystal clear ocean. Our property also features amenities for those looking for a bit of fun. Rent from our on-site Jetski rentals, or grab some bikes and explore the Island at a slower place with the entire family. Guests can choose from modern rooms and suites, featuring balconies and gorgeous views of our beautiful island. The sun rises directly over the center of the resort each morning, so catch the sunrise, and then catch up on sleep later with a little poolside nap. With a private, secluded location, rentals for fun in the sun, and close proximity to Seven Mile Beach, our Grand Caymanian Resort is the perfect vacation spot for families, honeymooners, and local staycations. We look forward to welcoming you with our warmest hospitality soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Venere, HotelsClick and Priceline so you can book your The Grand Caymanian Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.