“Experienced fishermen” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Tours, Adventure
New Jersey
“Experienced fishermen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Just returned from a fabulous private charter with Frank. Went for a combination of reef fishing, Sting Ray city and snorkeling. Because the sea was rough, other charters wanted to reroute our trip. Frank said he would do his best and his best was fabulous. He took out a simple, larger vessel and we were just fine in rougher waters. There was only one other private vessel at String Ray City this day. It was our first experience with ocean reef fishing and we caught enough for dinner for 5 - the highlight of our trip. Prior to this trip we spent much time fishing from docks on the island and caught nothing. The first mate was somewhat difficult to understand but a highly experienced seaman who helped stabilize the boat in choppy reef waters by getting out into the waters to secure the anchor. Thought the rum punch was excellent - tasted mostly of rum. Spent far more than 4 hours with us. Would certainly book again with Frank, especially for fishing.

Visited December 2011

New York City, New York
“If they don't even answer....imagine their commitment to service....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Wrote to Frank's 4 weeks before my vacation to inquire about a combination fishing and snorkel trip. No answer. Called 2 weeks before my trip and left a message....no answer. Based on their prices and website, I wrote to them again and requested to book a trip (while I was then in the Caymans....). No answer. These folks are either out of business or just don't care. In any event....stay clear of those that fail at customer service even before they have a chance to ruin your tour....

Visited August 2011
Surrey, Canada
“Well worth getting over my fear of suffering Steve Irwin's fate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

This was one of the highlights of our recent Caribbean cruise. All four of us (a senior couple and our 20 something daughter and her friend) took the Sting Ray city tour to a shallow reef area off the Grand Cayman island to interact (petting and feeding) a bunch of extremely friendly and non-threatening sting rays. I was initially reluctant to go due to a perhaps irrational fear of any creature having the word "sting" as part of its name, but I found the experience to be well worth the time, money, and worry. After the stingray session, we went to another area a few blocks away and snorkeled with a very interesting and beautiful array of tropical fish including a large skate which looked a lot like a sting ray but without the sting bearing tail. The water was a comfortable temperature, and extremely clear. With a face-mask, I could see out to about 50 feet in all directions. There was no walking involved in this tour, so even my wife, who normally uses an electric scooter to avoid having to walk for more than a few minutes at a time, was able to enjoy the outing. Frank's crew supplied face masks and snorkels as well as the obligatory rum punch which all Caribbean tourist attractions seem to be required by law to provide :)

georgia
“This was the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Heard about Frank's from another guest at the hotel and booked a trip. It's a smaller boat that only takes out 8 people at a time. My last trip to Stingray City was with one of the large tour operators and there were about 30 people on board. They picked us up as scheduled and we departed the dock on time. The boat had a captain and one crew member who were both polite and helpful. We made four stops: a reef that we snorkeled at, the barrier reef near Stingray City, Stingray City, and an area for snorkeling that had hundreds of starfish. At one of our stops the crew put out a lunch spread that included a conch appetizer, jerk chicken, mahi mahi, potato salad, rice, etc. It was awesome, to say the least. While snorkeling or in the water with the stingrays the crew could not have been more helpful. This trip lasted 6 hours- dock to dock- and was the best value for the money.

Cincinnati, Ohio
49 attraction reviews
“Loved the trip - but be aware”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

After looking at many other tours to Stingray City, my girlfriend and I decided to go with Frank's Water Sports. We chose the Stingray City and Fish Garden Tour. There are a few things to be aware of:

-We could hardly understand or hear our guide when he was giving us instructions for getting into the water.
-Rum punch was absolutely disgusting, there were 4 people in my group and we all could barely stomach it. We actually threw it out -- we aren't that picky when it comes to free alcohol but this was REALLY BAD.

-I would not recommend this trip for elderly or disabled people. To get into the water we used a metal ladder with about 15 steps. The ocean was a bit rough that day and the boat was rocking pretty bad. I am 26 and in great shape and I found it a little tricky to get up and down. There were several older people on this trip and they couldn't even get off the boat to get into the water, nor did I see either of the guides try to assist them. I saw one gentlemen trying to go down the ladder and couldn't make it all the way down. He was able to climb back up but then just had to sit there and watch everyone with the stingrays. Other boats around us were easily accessible.

Overall we had a great time on this trip considering the events of the day. The tour operators and captains were nice and the boat was fine, I would recommend a different company though.