“perfect honeymoon spot!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peter Island Resort

Save Saved
You added Peter Island Resort to your Saves list
Peter Island Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 211, Road Town | Tortola, 00801 2409, Peter Island   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Peter Island
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“perfect honeymoon spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

we didn't get to stay at the resort itself, but toured it and ate at the wonderful restaurant where a lovely older lady walk around and gave us fresh chocolate chip cookies- homemade! Very charming! Can't wait to go and stay here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

587 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had never been to the virgin isles before, and I can't believe what I was missing! This secluded resort is an island paradise, within an easy boat ride to world class sailing, diving and snorkeling. The staff is extremely friendly and attentive. They are Genuinely happy people who make for a happy experience .
The accommodations and amenities are fist class. The beach at Dead man's bay is the most beautiful I have seen.
This needs to be on your "list".

Room Tip: Book a view of the bay.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hastings on Hudson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First time to Peter Island. Wanted an out of the way place...away from it all. We have spent the last 8 summers in Anguilla and were looking for something "different" . Fortunately for us we found "IT" at Peter Island. You have to come here with the right frame of mind...expecting a tropical get away from it all and no more. If you do that I guarantee what you wll get will far exceed your expectations. Service here is specatcular. By the end of our 3rd day the entire staff was greeting us by name, and remember this was our 1st time here...so being made to feel special is just what their great at. Food was very good and breakfasts were something to look forward to. If you are lucky you will meet Mrs. Jean Kelly who is the epitome of what the island represents..and that is making you feel like this is your home away from home and she is your Auntie who you have not seen in years. Ask to meet Rimple who is the food and beverage director as he has a great grasp of wine especially Cali wines and is a gem ..he's the kind of wine expert you would find in Manahattan except he is here!!. All the ladies at the Desk are wonderful as well. The beaches are fantastic especially Deadmans Beach and athough you may need to walk 3 minutes its far worth it. White Bay ...don't bother ...Watching the sunset at the "loop" is a must (take a bottle of wine or champagne to enjoy as you watch a sunset unlike any other. Although it may appear that this resort attracts many honeymooners (its very romantic) we came with our 2 sons..ages 13 and 18 and even they said it was one of the best vacations they have had. The Beachfront Jr Suites are great however the Oceanview rooms were great also and a much better bargain...if you can request upper level and closer to the point. Casual elegance at its best!!!

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms ...request upper level and closer to the point
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I read more of these than I write before heading out on a trip and I tend to return after my trip to share my experiences, especially when I had a far greater experience than some I read of. That is the case here. Because if I am like the average person then some of the negative, individual service experiences need to be offset by experiences like mine-- an extraordinary place and experience! I was with a group and we got to stay in the Hawk's Nest which was a lovely 3-bedroom with full amenities and an amazing living room with spectacular views of Deadman's Beach- well appointed and easiliy 4+-star accomodations anywhere. Very clean and my only complaints being a neat freak is that the plung pool didn't stay free of fallen leaves and the bathroom seemed a bit warmer than my cool upstairs bedroom at all times. Very minor indeed.

Very nice spa with typical options, great service, and Masseuse (Magnolia was a top deep-tissue experience). Also, as a runner the 5 mile road to Sunset Loop is spectacular. They can put on a Triathlon and I'd go for an organized race (1M swim, 10M-20M mountain bike, 5M-10M run). Many on the island hike that road for a great adventure and we had a picnic at sunset on Sunset Loop where they have a dozen Adirondack chairs for a wonderful wine and cheese while experiencing one of the best spots in the Caribbean for sunset.

My favorite part of this trip was being so impressed with the food and beverage-- the best I've had in Caribbean in a long time-- very, very impressed with the quality and creativity. For breakfast you must order Jean Kelley's world famous Coconut French Toast. Oh my! And Jean Kelley herself (30 years there and 68 years young, God bless her!) will make sure you're happy. Take a minute and get to know, she's the quintessential spirit of this island. We'll never forget her. At Deadman's Beach Grill the pizza is just ok said my friend, but I had the mahi mahi for lunch one day (above average) but my highlight was the fresh snapper for dinner (see pics)- perfecto! And the last night the buffet, which I ususally don't get excited about, was extraordinary. Everything is made in house, including all desserts. You can tell. The pasta station allowed me to build my own Fra Diablo with Gulf Shrimp and New Zealand Mussels that were amazing. Don't miss the Bananas Foster with homemande vanilla bean ice cream for a perfect night sleep.

And finally, if you love wine this is the spot- Rimple, Director of food and beverage is a Somalier so try his wine pairings on Tue and Thursday. And, if you're an IPA lover (like me!) he may have some pirated private US craft beers (which I always miss in the Caribbean!). A special treat which my malt and hop friends will understand!

Activities: There could be 100 people on the island but you won't see them until breakfast or dinner. The walk on the beach in the am is spectacular (see pics), we did an event in the Crow's Nest that I'll never forget sitting on that big stone patio high above Tortola with endless island vistas and a glass of Artemis Stag's Leap. Wow! The same would be true at Falcons where we got to see the playboy grotto (maybe in my younger years ;-). The highlight is the beautiful water with endless snorkeling spots and diving the Wreck of the Rhone. We headed out for a snorkeling excursion and started at The Bath's (Virgin Gordo), Jost van Dyke to either Foxy's or Soggy Dollar (or both!), and the best snorkeling outside of Hawaii is the Indians and Caves. Amazing! We finished at sunset with a cold drink at Pirate's Blight on Treasure Island (Norman Island). Back to the Indians: from 20-60 feet clear waters where I've seen some of the best snorkeling outside of Hawaii.

Very excited to return one day and experience the new, modernized marina and dive shop (rendering looks amazing and due to be complete by end of 2013).

Let me know if you have any questions. And enjoy your trip to this memorable paradise!

Room Tip: There are 20 rooms Beachfront and another ~34 with ocean view that are just a couple minute walk to...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Sealy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stopped here on a full day beach chartered boat trip just for drinks at the bar... Lema our bartender was outstanding!!! You have to get the Bloody Mary! Outstanding!!!
I can't judge the rooms because we didn't have one, but everything was so clean everyone was so friendly!

• Stayed July 2014
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Overall- We had a fantastic stay at Peter Island. My wife and I just went for our honeymoon and it is perfect for a honeymoon or anniversarry trip. Below are some highlights:

Service- Even though Peter Island is very expensive the service was excellent. We had multiple employees come up to during our stay and tried to make it more enjoyable. The head of F & B Rimple is very personable and very knowledgable about wines. I highly suggest going to a wine tasting it was a lot of fun and we learned a lot. From Charity to the front desk making things easy to Lema who served us on our beach dinner the service was A++++

Activities- Peter Island is not big but plenty of activities to do at no cost. You can rent snorkel gear for free from the dive shop and use it all week. White Bay Beach is a must if you are looking for a more private beach. Also you must do Sunset Loop at least once as it is a great way to spend some time before dinner. We also rented a boat for the day at Paradise Water Sports right on location. Even on a choppy day Captain Mark took us around to a lot of great spots and we got to see the area. The Price of the boat was reasonable too compared to other companies. Point being if your staying for the week there is plenty to do and if you don't want to do anything you can just hang out right at Deadmans Beach all day and relax.

Food- Yes there are only two restaurants however both excellent. They switch off between nights at Deadmans or Tradewinds. The Food overall was excellent from Breakfast in the morning to Dinner at night. The dress code is nice and comfortable and we left every meal feeling full and satisfied. During our stay there were two buffet nights Wednesday and Saturday both pricey but great food and best buffets I have ever had. Im still undecided if getting the meal plan and all inclusive alcohol was worth it. You have to drink a lot in order to get your monies worth.

Scenery- The scenery at Peter Island was simply amazing. There were plenty of breathe taking views and along with the hiking trails you could see a lot.

Spa- The Spa was fantastic at Peter Island. It is very expensive but worth every penny. We did the couples massage in the Bohio Hut and it was simply amazing the views and service were great. They also have a hot tub and basically personal pool for you to enjoy yourself.

Some Things Peter Island could improve upon:

Workout facility- Even though there are plenty of trails and running paths Peter Island is very hilly. I was disappointed with the workout facility but in no ways was it a deal breaker.

Deadmans Beach not so private- depending on who docks in for the day it can be a little disturbing having drunk outsiders come to the beach. Overall not bad because you can find yourself some peace and quiet but some days the people visiting were rude and drunk. Trying to make it a little more private would help.

Overall we have nothing but great things to say about Peter Island. The service and people at Peter Island truly care about your stay and making sure you want to come back. We loved every minute of it and will be back. I would highly recommend Peter Island to anyone and can't wait to go back in the future!

Room Tip: All the reviews are correct if you can choose the Beach JR suites. The location is perfect and on th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Boise
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

At the end of a two week June tour through the Caribbean, my husband and I stayed four nights at Peter Island. We thought it would be an excellent place to relax before returning home. Within minutes of arriving, the staff tried to get me to write down my credit card number and information on a piece of paper for their front office. I had booked my reservation online, and my credit card was charged for 3 nights weeks in advance, so they already had my credit card information. With all the problems in the U.S. with keeping credit card information secure, there was no way I was going to write that information on a piece of paper which could then be taken anywhere and viewed by anyone. I refused to do so, and was bugged about it the rest of my stay.
The first evening we were there, we discovered that only the one beach restaurant was open and you needed reservations. Although the staff went ahead and seated us without reservations, they were somewhat surly and contemptuous while taking our order and serving us.
The second night we returned from the beach around 4 pm, to discover a note in our room informing us that again the restaurant, bar, and pool area would be closed for a private function. As we did not have reservations for the beach restaurant, we went hungry. The party went on until well after midnight, with a very loud PA system and music just a few feet from our room. It seemed that the comfort and well-being of their guests was a very low priority and we should have been informed of the closings and the fact of a private party before booking our stay.
The third night, the restaurant next to our room was open, but again had very loud karaoke style music and entertainment until after 10 pm.
The fourth night, we had booked a sunset experience. You choose a bottle of wine from their wine list, along with a cheese/fruit plate and they take you to the top of the island to view the sunset. I had ordered a $28 bottle of moscato, but when we got to the location what we had was a $50 bottle of chardonnay. I refused the chardonnay. The staff member made a return trip to the hotel to get our moscato that was ordered, but again returned with the wrong bottle -- it was a moscato but it was $44. Got it wrong twice.
Don't be fooled by the online marketing and photos of this place. The Peter Island Resort is just average for a beach resort, nothing special, and I have stayed at many places that were much better than this and without the hassle of loud PA systems and closed restaurants. This was the worst experience we have had in all our travels. We could hardly wait to get away from this island and took the 8 am ferry the next morning.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Carrie S, Manager at Peter Island Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear VDMBoise,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the end of your tour of the Caribbean, and for bringing this important feedback to our attention - we will follow up on the issues you mentioned and make changes. I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time in the Caribbean, and we would value the opportunity to host you again the next time you are vacationing in the area for a much more tranquil and pleasant experience.

At your service,

Carrie S

Been to Peter Island Resort? Share your experiences!