“BEST Private Island Adult Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Peter Island Resort to your Saves list
Hotels.com Expedia.com
Peter Island Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 211, Road Town | Tortola, 00801 2409, Peter Island   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Peter Island
Dallas, Texas
“BEST Private Island Adult Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Celebrating a 40th Birthday and a wedding Anniversary, Peter Island was indeed the BEST for privacy and top notch service! This private island getaway is not to be missed. Adventurous yet relaxing, from private beaches and cabanas to biking to gourmet food…Peter Island has it all. The spa is not to be missed. Def book a beach front bungalow and fall asleep listening to the waves. Pick up your snorkel gear and mountain bikes upon arrival…Restaurants and picnic lunches were all fabulous, amazing breakfasts and stunning dinner. Highlight was fresh caught Anegada lobster and local tomatoes with mozzarella. Favorite drink was the Peter Island Connection

Room Tip: Beach front
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I have just returned from our perfect vacation at Peter Island...seven days of pure bliss! Peter Island is certainly a special place - from the gorgeous, roomy beachfront villas to the spacious white beaches - we couldn't have been more delighted with our stay! All of the staff are extremely friendly and anxious to please....which is an important highlight of any resort. We enjoyed as much of the Peter Island experience as possible and rate all of our experiences as 5 Star! After living in New York and traveling extensively, we are extremely particular - we were definitely impressed! Things that you absolutely must do (in no particular order):

- the Bohio Seaside Escape at the Spa. Imagine your own private hut with couples massage, champagne and hot tub - all while gazing at a spectacular seaside view!
- the Sunset Sail on the Silmaril. Or for that matter, ANY sailing adventure with Jason and Lindsay!
- Honeymoon Beach, a private beach just for two. Doesn't get any better than this!
- diving with Randy and Mo at Paradise Watersports. They are pros!
- the Vintner Wine Tasting Dinner - are you kidding...five courses paired with wine, while enjoying new friends and Rimple's fabulous discussion!

While we didn't have time to enjoy White Bay Beach or the Sunset Loop, we now have a reason to return (which we usually never do...too much to see in this world)! Thank you Peter Island for a relaxing vacation and superb anniversary!!!

Room Tip: All of the beachfront villa units looked marvelous, we stayed in 210. The bedroom and bathroom were...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Phenomenal honeymoon spot. You have to think and plan very little. You can be as active or as lazy as you would like. They have plenty of water sports like paddleboarding and options to take boats and daytrips. Going on the Silmaril with Jason and Lyndsey was our best day trip. Some kids but it was not a big problem for us. The most relaxing vacation I have ever been on. We had almost no problems and the only minor issue that we did have was swiftly responded to by Wilbert, the general manager. If you have any problems, he will take care of them for you.

Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We booked this trip somewhat last minute when I spotted available miles tickets for a direct flight to St. Thomas. We went to Peter Island for part of our honeymoon and always wanted to go back. We had been back to the Virgin Islands a few times since then, to St. John and Virgin Gorda, but not to PI. I didn’t want to miss out on the miles tickets and booked them right away. Then I went to go book Peter Island and they had no availability on their website. Luckily I was able to book a room through Expedia-- apparently I got the last room available. Then came the realization that we weren't arriving St Thomas on a Peter Island ferry day, and it was going to be very tough to make the public ferry to Tortola We arrived at 3:20 and the last ferry was scheduled for 4:15. So we did carry on luggage (which was tough given we have our own snorkeling gear-- travel size fins helped with that) and hired a private taxi. We made it to the ferry with about 20 minutes to spare! I had a backup plan if our flight was late of using our Marriott points on St. Thomas for the night, but luckily we did not have to do that. Usually I plan way ahead and figure out all of these logistics before booking to help keep it less stressful, so this was new for me. Now I learned my lesson! Make sure you consider these schedules before booking!

Room
I had requested an ocean view room closer to the point for better views, but because I booked the last room available, that wasn't possible. We probably had the second worst room in the place in terms of view-- it was in the first building with a small view of the water through the trees, but more of a view of the back of the Lobby/Tradewinds building and pool. At least we were on the second floor, I think the room below us would have a worse view. This wasn't that big of a deal though because we didn't spend much time in our room anyway. And it was conveniently located close to the Tradewinds restaurant and the marina. It was about a 5 minute walk to the beach. The room had vaulted ceilings which made it feel bigger. The bed and furnishings were comfortable. The balcony had a table with two chairs and two chaise lounges. The bathroom was on the small side, but did have two sinks. I really liked their shampoo and conditioner. The housekeeping staff did a great job of keeping the room clean, but they did tend to come on the late side. There were a few issues with the room. They are starting to renovate now, so hopefully these will be resolved when they are done. The wi-fi did not work in our room and it wasn't fixed until our last day. (We were able to get wi-fi by the pool and restaurants though). This was a bit inconvenient for me because I needed to check my work email each day. I ended up using their computers near the pool each night before dinner. The door to the balcony was very stiff and slow to close- if you let it close on it's own it would slam shut. Otherwise you had to stand there for 20 seconds while it was closing to keep it from slamming. The AC did a great job of keeping the room cool. On our previous visit we stayed in the beachfront suites. I'd probably choose those next time because they are more spacious, quiet and right on the beach. But they are also more expensive!

Dining
There are two restaurants on the island. Breakfast was always at Tradewinds and lunch at Deadman's Bay. For dinner they alternated which restaurant was open. You could also order a few appetizers from the bar and you could have a picnic lunch delivered to you at White Bay Beach. Food is expensive on the island. If you eat an appetizer, entree and dessert for every meal, the meal plan would be worth it. We did not get the meal plan, and we ended up ahead-- because we did not order three course meals. It would be just too much food for us. The appetizers were on the small side, but the entrees were usually more than I could finish. It would be nice if for dinner they would offer some more casual options on the menu. Although, one night there wasn't anything I liked on the menu for dinner and they made a hamburger for me. We found the food and service to be quite good. My favorite meal was salmon and gnocchi I had for dinner one night. Not a Caribbean fish, but delicious! We also went to the Caribbean buffet at Deadman's. I'm not usually a fan of buffets, but the food was good and the ambiance was great with a beautiful sunset and steel drum band. We only had lunch in the restaurant once and the pizza was great. We also had a picnic lunch delivered to White Bay one day (good, but they forgot to give us any condiments even though I had asked about that when I placed the order). We enjoyed the breakfast, but mostly ordered off the menu instead of doing the buffet. The omelets were great and my husband enjoyed the coconut french toast.

Beaches and Snorkeling
The main reasons we chose Peter Island were the beaches and easy access snorkeling. They did not disappoint!

We spent our first day on White Bay. When we got there, we had the whole beach to ourselves! One other group came during our visit, but they weren't there for very long. We had hut #6 which was closest to the snorkeling area. Great coral! There weren't very many fish at first, but once you swam out around the point there were lots of fish. The water was calm and clear. We spent about 4 hours here and had a great day.

We also spent one day on Deadman's Beach. This beach is beautiful. The water was a little rougher that day, but not too rough for me to snorkel. I snorkeled the left side of the bay and it was great. I liked it almost as much as White Bay. There were lots of fish and coral. Even though it was a little rough, the water was still very clear. We also enjoyed some delicious strawberry daiquiris and painkillers on the beach. The server planted a flag in the beach and you just raise it when you want service. It was very convenient.

We did not make it to Little Deadman's or Honeymoon Beach.

Activities
Island Tour- we did a tour around the island. It was about a 45 minute ride around the island in a van with photo stops. I really enjoyed the beautiful views, photo opportunities and hearing more about the island.

Sunset Loop- We, along with two other couples, were driven up to a high point on the island to watch the sunset. There were lots of chairs, good company, beautiful views and a stunning sunset. We stayed there for about an hour. You could order a cheese/cracker plate and wine to have while there. We didn't order any, but I guess they had an extra plate and gave it to us, so that was a nice treat. We also had some unexpected visitors-- hermit crabs! They were fun to watch. We did this on our previous visit and I was eaten alive by mosquitos. But this day was very windy and no mosquitos to be seen!

Boat Charter
Because we had been to the Virgin Islands a few times, we decided to do a private charter with the dive shop for snorkeling and island exploring. We wanted to visit some places that we hadn't been before and revisit some favorites. This was one of my favorite days of the trip. We visited some amazing snorkeling spots-- Crommus Bay, Cistern Point, Kelly Point and the Caves at Norman Island. The coral and sealife were amazing, and the water was crystal clear everywhere we went. We saw tarpon, barracuda, schools of blue tang, scrawled filefish and more. We made a lunch stop at Cooper Island (I had delicious mahi, and my husband had roti which he enjoyed). Loved that place! We also stopped for drinks at Pirates on Norman Island. The place opened recently (rebuilt after a fire) and was a beautiful place on a gorgeous beach. The boat itself was comfortable-- but I had a hard time with the ladder. My husband didn't have a problem, but I needed help! The captain was friendly and helpful and made great suggestions for places to stop. He did get in and snorkel with us once-- I enjoyed how he pointed things out and told us the names of many fish. But I didn't like how he pulled a couple things out of the water to show us. I think you are supposed to be a spectator to marine life and not touch it.

Day Trip to Tortola
We had been through Tortola a few times but never actually spent any time there. So we decided to take the Peter Island ferry over for a day and tour around. We took a taxi tour with a driver the resort recommended. We did a two hour tour, stopping to take in gorgeous views of other islands and beaches. We also stopped at the Callwood Rum distillery, Cane Garden Bay, the Bomba Shack, and drove around Road Town. He was a great guide and we enjoyed it. But I think we would have gotten a better price not going through the resort. He dropped us off in Road Town and we walked around the shops and had lunch. My husband loved his roti at Roti Queen-- it was his favorite meal of the trip.

Ferries
The Peter Island ferry from Road Town to Peter Island was nice, but a pretty typical ferry. Were we surprised when our ferry from Peter Island to St. John was a yacht! That was a nice luxurious treat! We were visiting St. John for a few days after Peter Island and were able to take their ferry that goes to St. Thomas. They stop in St. John for customs, so we were able to get off there. That convenience and nice boat was worth the extra cost over taking the public ferries.

Miscellaneous
I was concerned that because the hotel was fully booked that it would be crowded. The only time we noticed a lot of people around was at meals-- but we never had to wait for a table. When you were at the beach, pool or walking around the island you'd never know the hotel was full.

All the employees were friendly and helpful and we enjoyed getting to know them.

We were impressed with the manager's cocktail party-- the manager made a point to talk to everyone. We enjoyed delicious drinks (yum, painkillers) and appetizers (especially liked the coconut shrimp).

We enjoyed our stay on Peter Island and hope we can visit again in the future!

Senatobia, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

In November, 2013, my wife and I had the opportunity of a lifetime to vacation on Peter Island for a week with dear ole friends to celebrate their 25 years of marriage. Our celebrating friends had enjoyed Peter Island several times before. It is their favorite place in the world to vacation. Now, it is ours. This trip, they invited 5 other couples to join them in The Falcon's Nest, which is a fabulous villa overlooking White Bay Beach. It has three separate residences with six spacious suites, seven baths and three half baths, Falcon’s Nest totals 21,645 interior square feet. As their web site states, it is "the crown jewel of our private luxury villas." It is that, and so much more.
The staff could not have been more accomodating or hospitable, no matter where we were or what we were doing. The food was great whether we dined in or ate at the two restaurants. Deadman's Beach was fantastic. No crowds, no noise, no problems. Deadman’s Beach Bar & Grill is right on the beach with great food and refreshing drinks. We snorkled at White Bay more than once. The dive shop on PI had everything we needed for a fantastic outing. Our whole week long experience could not have been better. If you've never been there before, it is hard to describe the beauty that is Peter Island. It is hard to explain how hard the staff works to make you feel like royalty. But they do it with a smile and they do it very, very well. One day, I hope I have the chance to go back.

Room Tip: Go with friends and stay in one of the 3 villas. You will not regret it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Carrie S, Manager at Peter Island Resort, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing this fantastic review! We know exactly how you feel when you say the beauty and essence of the island is difficult to describe - even photos and videos cannot communicate the natural beauty of this island. We are so pleased with your kind words about our hard-working staff, and are glad that you and your friends have had such enjoyable visits! We hope to have you again very soon!

At your service,

Carrie
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

They do NOT honor their commitments and contracts.

You may have your reservations cancelled or changed with little notice. And they may keep prepayments without recourse.

The toilets weren't cleaned. The phone in the unit did not work. Their sales office is extremely deceiptful. Buyer beware. It can be very hit or miss.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Peter Island Resort, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing this important feedback with us. We are very concerned about this situation, as it is not our policy to cancel or change reservations and keep prepayments, and are generally able to work out cancellation situations very generously. Would you please contact our general manager Wilbert Mason at wmason@peterisland.net? He would really value the opportunity to speak with you and find out what happened so he make this situation right with you.

At your service,

Carrie
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

From the moment we arrived, we knew it was a special place. We had made a reservation for sunset loop where you are driven to the top of a mountain overlooking many islands. I asked at the last minute for a cheese and fruit platter and didn't think I would get it. The answer from the smiling staff sums up the whole experience here: it's your island so of course we will get it for you.
If you look hard enough, you can find issues anywhere you go. Enjoy this island for all the special people and experiences - you won't be disappointed.
Honeymoon beach which is reserved for you and your spouse is a must do. When will you ever have your own beach? The water, lunch and the view is worth making the reservation for ... Some good snorkeling by the rocks on the left side of the beach.
We did not get the meal plan and thought it worked in our favor. We are not big eaters. Overall, food was very good and prices are what you would expect for an island.
The spa was extremely expensive but worth the experience. Go early or stay after your treatment as the sauna, jacuzzi, pool and beach were beautiful and very quiet. I also went to a yoga class which was so relaxing in the gardens at the spa.

Room Tip: For an ocean view room, Ask for the point
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Peter Island Resort? Share your experiences!