“'another beautiful day in paradise'” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peter Island Resort

You added Peter Island Resort to your Saves list
Peter Island Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 211, Road Town | Tortola, 00801 2409, Peter Island   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Peter Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nashville, Tennessee
“'another beautiful day in paradise'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have just returned from our second trip to Peter Island and are trying to figure out when we can go again. Last time was in early September (complete with hurricane threat), this time was mid January. For both visits we stayed in ocean view rooms and had the meal plan (unless money really is no object to you, this is necessary). My husband and I are mid40s/early 50s looking for a vacation that truly allows us to 'turn off' from the everyday stresses (big & small) of our jobs, and Peter Island provides a perfect atmosphere for that. The staff are really fabulous - always professional, generally very cheerful and helpful. Some of the dining staff that we met the first time, such as Raj and Rozelle, were there again and it was like meeting old friends. The food is almost always excellent with maybe one or two minor dishes that don't quite work. A previous review mentioned that the breakfast and lunch menus have little variety throughout a visit, but since the breakfast can be a cold buffet, a hot buffet or a menu item, there seems to me that there is always sufficient to choose from. My bigger complaint about lunch is that I ended up eating a much bigger meal than I needed, but I discovered a way around that was to ask for a picnic lunch with a sandwich that was better suited to me. Despite being higher season than our last visit, we never felt that the resort was too busy or crowded. The biggest difference was the large increase in visiting boats and people coming off the boats to the restaurant, but that never impinged our our experience at all and certainly didn't affect how well we were looked after by the staff. This time we did a visit to white bay with a picnic lunch for supposedly great snorkeling. Unfortunately that was the one day the weather didn't cooperate with some rain but mostly grey clouds that didn't allow great visibility in the water. Still I managed to see a whole different set of fish than I'd seen when snorkeling sround deadman's beach ( the main resort beach). We also did the Thursday boat trip that usually goes to Virgin Gorda. Our captain(Joe of the Tortola-based company Patouche) explained that the current was such that snorkeling around virgin Gorda would be difficult so he proposed an alternative trip to Norman Iland - it was brilliant! All 6 of us on that trip had a truly great time including experienced sailers and divers and me, who can be uneasy around water. We would HIGHLY recommend a trip with Captain Joe anytime! Also did the wine dinner, which was great, and good to meet some really nice people but also have a lot of alone time when we wanted it. In summary, a fabulous destination and one we intend to return to again.

Room Tip: Oceanfront are bright, airy and have great views. Also close to main restaurant and to dock.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrie S, Manager at Peter Island Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your repeat visits to Peter Island, and for sharing such valuable advice in this thorough review. Our goal is to provide guests with an experience that helps them get away from it all, so we are thrilled that we have successfully created a refuge from the stresses of you and your husband's jobs. I am so glad that you are planning to visit us again. We hope to host you often for years to come - as I'm sure you have gathered you are only a stranger once with our staff and quickly become like family. We look forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit!

C. Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We arrived last evening and have spent one day in paradise! We were a little apprehensive after reading a few of the reviews, but I don't think the reviewers are used to the "private island" concept. We have a beachfront room and it is lovely. A hammock outside our door is the only thing between us and the beach No TV is standard for these types of resorts and we fall asleep listening to the waves. All the rooms have airconditioning although we prefer the windows open and the ceiling fans at night.The staff is wonderful and the food is excellent. The ferry ride from Tortola is about 30 minutes and even in the wind, was a relatively smooth ride aftr our flight from Philadelphia to San Juan to Tortola. We are looking forward to a wonderful week! We will report back next Sunday...

Room Tip: Beach front is in between the 2 restaurants and also a short walk to the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for coming to visit us and for sharing this review after you arrived on the island! I am glad you and your husband enjoy falling asleep to the waves and all the other spoils that being right on the water on a private island provide. It was a pleasure to host you, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort (2nd time) December 11 thru the 18th in room 215, oceanfront balcony. I just have to say that I just LOVE this place. My husband is not as enthusiastic only because there is no golf course. We have stayed at many fine resorts in the Caribbean, i.e, FS Nevis, Ritz in Grand Cayman, Raffles Resort in Canouan, the Grenadines (now called Careenage Bay Resort), the Jalousie in St. Lucia, LDB, Virgin Gorda. However, for me, it is all about the experience of feeling like you are visiting a "fantasy" island. Deadman's Beach is fantastic, soft sand, clear blue water, palm and grape trees which provide enough shade that an umbrella is not needed, and hammocks to laze away the afternoon in. And the most amazing thing, you feel like there are only a few other couples staying at the resort. Only at meal times do you have any idea that there are more than a handful of couples staying here. This was true in December, April (our 1st trip) and last March when we made a day trip here from STT.

We did not take the meal plan because we both only eat 2 large meals per day. That worked out well for us. I did have one spa session which was very relaxing. We had planned to go off island and rent a car on Tortola, but decided we didn't want to leave Peter Island. We had already been on day trips to Tortola and Jost Van Dyke, and had stayed on Virgin Gorda, so the interest was not there; instead we remained on our "fantasy island." We basically just walked the trails, enjoyed the beach, and read the books we had brought with us.

A lot of guests are repeat visitors. We met a young couple on their 3rd visit and a much older couple who said that it wouldn't be Christmas without a visit to Peter Island.

Yes, it was a pain to travel to get there- 3 flights w/an overnite in Miami, then the ferry trip to the island. On both ends we had 2 hour travel delays which makes the trip even more trying, but luckily, we did not miss any connections. Next time flying into STT instead of Beef Island might be a better option; it may be the only option with AA.

As I said, I just LOVE this place, and I just think TA's contributor, Needs to Relax212's title "Perfect for napping, ocean staring, relaxing, and reading" says it all. That's just what we did!

Room Tip: I would suggest the balcony rooms. Beachfront was really nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us on Peter Island, and for sharing this review of your experience. We are so glad that you LOVE this island like we do, and appreciate all the natural wonder and beauty that makes this island feel like a fantasy. We hope that you and your husband will be like the couples - young and old - who you met and become repeat guests! We look forward to getting to know you better and spending many happy vacations with you for years to come.

Weatherford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

It is a REAL ORDEAL just getting to the island. The staff you email do not lead you to believe its that long and entailed, but it is!
Rooms are nice but there is no tv. Internet is complimentary and works fine.
The view from the breakfast restaurant is spectacular and the food is very good but TREMENDOUSLY OVER INFLATED PRICING! A salad is $18.00
Now I didn't squawk because thankfully I had purchased the meal plan with room. For some reason you are still asked to sign a ticket at each meal (even if you have meal plan). On this ticket it advises you there will be an 18% auto gratuity added in. This you have NOT paid for!
Wait till you hear this though, my husband and I were there for New Year's Eve and they had a holiday celebration buffet. I did think the food was good, however when we got the ticket and he said "is this on the meal plan?" I say "well, I think so, why?" He says "It's $250.00
A PIECE!!!!!
I think I had chest pain at that moment!! bahahaha
I've been to many islands and have never had sand flies, but apparently they are definitely living in the Deadman's Restaurant. I am eaten alive and have never felt and itch like this. Let me tell you I'm writing this a week after the trip and they are still there and itching.
Beach is lovely and you have a little flag for service if you need it.

It's a very cool place.

Overall REGARDLESS of the financial raping, I did really enjoy myself and food was very good.
Island very lovely, difficult/complicated to get to and from. Upon your departure we had to stop 3 times one to "check out" of the BVI then 2 more at St John then St. Thomas. This takes hours.

We did 2 days of diving the "Rhone Wreck" made famous from the movie "The Deep".
Very nice dive.

The gift shop there was by far the best I've ever been in for quality clothing. Everything in there was very nice and of course very pricey.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I spent December 13 – 19, 2012 on Peter Island. I was a little apprehensive about traveling to the resort solo, but it was a wonderful, relaxing, beautiful vacation and much needed respite from a busy and cold Northeast in the U.S.

The property is gorgeous, the staff almost uniformly wonderful and friendly, and the food (unfortunately with the notable exception of deserts) was usually delicious. I had a few problems, mostly with my room and explained below, but that was not enough to detract from my high rating.

The Property. The property is itself is beautiful and the facilities are well maintained. The main beach, Deadman’s Beach, has a gorgeous view, white sand that stayed cool in the hot sun, and it has plenty of shade under coconut palms and thatched umbrellas for folks like me who like to sit outside and stare at the ocean, but don’t like to get much sun. The beach is not wide, so it’s a short walk from the road to the comfortable cushioned beach chairs and a short walk to the water’s edge. Given that the resort only has 50+ accommodations – at least while I was there – the beach was never crowded and always quiet. (I did select chairs some distance from the restaurant bar, but I never got the sense that it became rowdy).

On one day I went to White Bay beach and had the resort deliver a picnic lunch. The beach is nice and apparently the snorkeling is good at the far end (but mediocre where I went in, closer to the where they dropped me off and closer to the center of the beach). The sand is different, and got very, very hot. The only shade is under fairly rustic wooden open structures the resort generously calls “cabanas” and the beach chairs are not of the cushioned variety. They are your typical cheap vinyl slat-type chair. It was nice to be on a different beach, but give me Deadman’s any day of the week.

The Service. Staff members made a largely successful effort to learn the names of guests and greet everyone at meals or just along the resort by name. That was a wonderful touch. I got the sense that everyone was genuinely nice.

On the beach, a very nice staff member most days walked down the beach distributing flags to use to signal her if guests wanted to order drinks / food. While a great touch, the restaurant at least on one day did not carefully monitor the flags and I ended up waiting 30 minutes before giving up. (The server was lovely, and when serving someone at the next umbrella, came over to ask if I wanted anything…. at the time a rum drink just seemed right).

I had one massage. I’ve only had a few professional massages before, so have little to compare it to, but it was mediocre.

I did one afternoon snorkel trip arranged through the dive shop on the property. The skipper / dive master was friendly and helpful. The only problem was that the front desk was less than knowledgeable about what the dive shop could do for snorkel trips. The front desk really should know what can be done and be able to book it.

Most of my time was spent alternating among staring at the ocean, reading, and napping. Perfect.

The Food. The food was usually delicious. While I was there, breakfast was served in the “main” dining space, Tradewinds, which is close to the Ocean View rooms, the pool and reception. Lunch was at the beach restaurant and dinner usually alternated between the two restaurants. (Despite the way the resort describes it, there are really only two restaurants and each has its own bar). Deserts were uniformly disappointing with the exception of the Bananas Foster on the night there was a buffet for dinner. A chocolate crème brulee, for instance, was not a custard and did not have a bruleed top. It was just a thick, mediocre pudding.

It would be nice to see more local flavors on the menus. Yes, there were lots of seafood choices for dinner, but not all of it was local. At lunch, there were conch fritters and always a choice of roti with some curry, but that was pretty much it by way of local flavors.

The Room. I stayed in an Ocean View room. It was fine, but no more than that. It was on the ground floor and the patio was protected by lots of foliage, thereby blocking both the breeze and any real view of the ocean. The cushions on the furniture were stained or dirty. I spent little time in the room anyway.

The room was where some things were less than wonderful.

First, when I made my reservation, I told the representative that I had a minor physical disability and asked if I could have a shower bench. She told me that would be no problem, but they had no other accommodations, including no hand shower. It turned out that my room was (as I was told by an assistant manager) the one (sort of) “accessible” room at the resort. There left me a plastic shower chair for the tub and, to my great surprise and relief, the tub had grab bars. The shower itself, though, was lousy. The water pressure sucked. The shower was a hand shower but had a very difficult “latch” to take it use it as a hand shower.

I chalked up poor water pressure to it being an isolated resort, but when I used the shower at the spa, there was great water pressure and a great, easy to use and hand shower. This needs to be fixed in the rooms, or at least the one “accessible” room.

Second, the room is getting a bit dated. There were cracks in the plaster / paint in the bathroom that are in need of repair.

The air conditioner worked, and the weather was never too hot as I was there in December, but the thermostat was set much cooler than the a/c could cool the room to and at times a touch cooler would have been nice. Also, on a few occasions, the a/c spit out small chunks of ice.

Third, when I arrived, I noticed the room was missing a safe and a clock radio. That was fixed the next day (even though I complained about the safe when I checked in).

Fourth, there was a light fixture in the entry way that was missing a globe throughout my stay. There was a bare bulb above the entry way mirror with the clips for a globe, but no globe. Housekeeping should have noticed it and fixed it right away.

Fifth and finally, one day Housekeeping left my door with the chain propping the door open even after they finished. Thankfully, nothing was missing from my room but that is a huge oversight.

Traveling Solo. I expected to be a little uncomfortable at a resort with lots of honeymooners and where at least most guests were couples. I was never uncomfortable, even at dinner. The staff always treated me well, I met nice people, and when I was eating alone (usually) I simply enjoyed my book and at dinner sipped my wine.

All in all it was a wonderful, relaxing, quiet vacation.

I didn’t and don’t understand those folks who went to a place like Peter Island but wanted to travel to lots of other islands and see lots of things. That’s fine if that’s what you want, but Peter is quiet and isolated. Come and savor that!

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are close to the Tradewinds restaurant for breakfast (and many dinners). Beach Fro...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for vacationing with us on Peter Island, and for sharing this wonderfully thorough review of your experience. We are so glad that your trip was relaxing and enjoyable for you overall, but will take note of the issues and details you were gracious enough to bring to our attention. We hope to have the opportunity to host you for many getaways in the future, and look forward to getting to know you more.

York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was the first time to Peter Island, won't be our last! Went the last week of November. We stayed in the ocean view room and liked the view and location. We wanted beachfront but were shocked at how much more they cost! Didn't spend much time in room because of all the water activities and day trips. It was very easy to travel to other islands, but it also made us realize how nice Peter Island was. The service was excellent as was the food! The grounds were beautiful and the snorkeling on White Bay beach was GREAT! Our only disappointment was that the spa was closed for remodeling My wife did get a fantastic massage but it was in the oceanfront room and not the spa. Our room was very nice but I do think it's time for a little remodel. We do recommend the food plan. Do your research on meal prices before you arrive! They don't allow changes in meal plans once you are there. This is their only mistake. A couple we were with didn't have the meal plan and she was so unhappy about it. We would be thrilled to go back to Peter Island! P.S. Be sure to snorkel at the Indians with Capt. Randy!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cary, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The proliferation of raves gives me pause but I believe that comparing cons to pros (no matter how minor they may seem) provides the seasoned traveler with valuable data essential to making an informed vacation choice. Thus.....

Pros: The location IS idyllic. The developed side of the island faces north and all rooms whether OV or OF benefit 24/7 from steady north-northeast winds which mostly are light to moderate breezes....showers are infrequent but can be heavy for brief periods and surfaces usually dry in a few hours. We have always timed our stays to several days on either side of the full moon (max out the romance factor).. it is breathtaking when rising over Deadman's Bay. A complementary bottle of champagne was chilling in a bucket when we entered our room.

The grounds are immaculate and well tended....flowers, palms and exotic flora are everywhere. The freshwater pool and many beaches are picture postcard offering whatever degree of privacy is desired. Cart transportation is frequent, free and happily provided to wherever one wishes to go on the island. The entire staff (and it is huge) from management to all service providers (with only a few exceptions) is well trained, amiable, quick to laugh and always a pleasure to have nearby (which is usually the case). Five star!

The food warrants only a "very good". While several dishes were excellent (surf & turf, whole grilled local snapper) the menus had a habit of repeating, breakfast never changed, lunch varied only with a daily special added to standard choices, dinners did offer wide choices and were the best meal of the day although not considered of gourmet quality (see Lamb Wellington under cons below). A tad brassy to levy a $15 supplement upon FAP guests for lobster tail on the one and only night (out of 10) that it was offered....especially when the FAP charge is $145 per person per day.

We are repeat visitors having first been here in the '70s when intimacy was dominant and romance was king. Deadman's Grill was a small tiki hut and is now a monstorous (but attractive) restaurant/bar on the beach; Drake's Channel "lounge" is a 12' square cold bar sans any décor or atmosphere and Tradewinds restaurant has lost much of its quaintness and appeal. (Idyllic and Intimate to Idyllic and Better?). Overall however, Peter Island Resort & Spa probably sets the gold standard for island luxury and amenities.

Cons: Charging FAP guests a $6 supplement for one glass of fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast.
Dress code is proclaimed to not require jackets for men but OK for "collared" shirts....forget the enforcement of even that minimal taste in dinner wear! We "dined" twice where guests in shorts, flip-flops and (dirty?) T-shirts were seated nearby which killed our enjoyment of those meals. Not a word was said to those tasteless individuals.

Lack of Class - on a Tuesday night while chatting with the General Manager before dinner and mentioning that we were celebrating a milestone anniversary, he graciously invited us as his guests to attend that Thursday night "Wine Dinner" in the private room at Tradewinds (which is offered to guests at $100 pp supplement)).....we were very moved and my lady immediately began planning her dressing for that night). Unfortunately, the next night at the beach buffet (at which the GM was present and circulating at the complementary weekly cocktail party) we were verbally disinvited from the Wine Dinner by a hostess (NOT the GM) with the explanation that the resort had not sold any other chairs to the dinner hence it was being cancelled. Lack of class in spades!

Caveat folks: Accounting at the resort tacked a $1000 "HOLD" on my AMEX account upon our arrival WITHOUT my knowledge and authorization and without informing me that it had been done. I found out only the next day by being emailed an "Alert" from AMEX that such a temp charge had been made "without card being presented". When I complained to desk manager I was informed that was PI's policy but at no time previously including booking procedure and paperwork was I ever informed of such policy. Kinda shabby policy considering I had paid over $7000 full cost in advance several months earlier. It was managements guesstimate of what my "incidental" charges might amount to for my 10 day stay. In other words we think you might skip without paying your extra charges....you have to trust us to provide your paid-up room and meals but we don't trust you for incidentals (which actually came to $611 upon checkout).

The "world class" spa was unavailable because closed for indefinite renovations.

Lamb Wellington - promised at our request several months in advance of our stay for our special anniversary dinner by the seawall outside Tradewinds. Not as expected. The pate in a class presentation would have been foie gras pulsed perhaps with a dollop of sweet butter, a drop or two of premium brandy and a sprinkling of black truffles. We got what tasted like pureed liverwurst with an overpowering taste.

Sorry if I appear to be a nit-picker but my expectations were very much affected by details and hopefully will be accepted by management as constructive and by future guests as informative and helpful.

Room Tip: OV rooms in A-Frame cottages offer best value, air circulation, view of Drakes Channel (from upper l...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Peter Island Resort? Share your experiences!