“Perfect for Napping, Ocean Staring, Relaxing and Reading” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peter Island Resort

Save Saved
You added Peter Island Resort to your Saves list
Peter Island Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 211, Road Town | Tortola, 00801 2409, Peter Island   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Peter Island
New York City
“Perfect for Napping, Ocean Staring, Relaxing and Reading”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I spent December 13 – 19, 2012 on Peter Island. I was a little apprehensive about traveling to the resort solo, but it was a wonderful, relaxing, beautiful vacation and much needed respite from a busy and cold Northeast in the U.S.

The property is gorgeous, the staff almost uniformly wonderful and friendly, and the food (unfortunately with the notable exception of deserts) was usually delicious. I had a few problems, mostly with my room and explained below, but that was not enough to detract from my high rating.

The Property. The property is itself is beautiful and the facilities are well maintained. The main beach, Deadman’s Beach, has a gorgeous view, white sand that stayed cool in the hot sun, and it has plenty of shade under coconut palms and thatched umbrellas for folks like me who like to sit outside and stare at the ocean, but don’t like to get much sun. The beach is not wide, so it’s a short walk from the road to the comfortable cushioned beach chairs and a short walk to the water’s edge. Given that the resort only has 50+ accommodations – at least while I was there – the beach was never crowded and always quiet. (I did select chairs some distance from the restaurant bar, but I never got the sense that it became rowdy).

On one day I went to White Bay beach and had the resort deliver a picnic lunch. The beach is nice and apparently the snorkeling is good at the far end (but mediocre where I went in, closer to the where they dropped me off and closer to the center of the beach). The sand is different, and got very, very hot. The only shade is under fairly rustic wooden open structures the resort generously calls “cabanas” and the beach chairs are not of the cushioned variety. They are your typical cheap vinyl slat-type chair. It was nice to be on a different beach, but give me Deadman’s any day of the week.

The Service. Staff members made a largely successful effort to learn the names of guests and greet everyone at meals or just along the resort by name. That was a wonderful touch. I got the sense that everyone was genuinely nice.

On the beach, a very nice staff member most days walked down the beach distributing flags to use to signal her if guests wanted to order drinks / food. While a great touch, the restaurant at least on one day did not carefully monitor the flags and I ended up waiting 30 minutes before giving up. (The server was lovely, and when serving someone at the next umbrella, came over to ask if I wanted anything…. at the time a rum drink just seemed right).

I had one massage. I’ve only had a few professional massages before, so have little to compare it to, but it was mediocre.

I did one afternoon snorkel trip arranged through the dive shop on the property. The skipper / dive master was friendly and helpful. The only problem was that the front desk was less than knowledgeable about what the dive shop could do for snorkel trips. The front desk really should know what can be done and be able to book it.

Most of my time was spent alternating among staring at the ocean, reading, and napping. Perfect.

The Food. The food was usually delicious. While I was there, breakfast was served in the “main” dining space, Tradewinds, which is close to the Ocean View rooms, the pool and reception. Lunch was at the beach restaurant and dinner usually alternated between the two restaurants. (Despite the way the resort describes it, there are really only two restaurants and each has its own bar). Deserts were uniformly disappointing with the exception of the Bananas Foster on the night there was a buffet for dinner. A chocolate crème brulee, for instance, was not a custard and did not have a bruleed top. It was just a thick, mediocre pudding.

It would be nice to see more local flavors on the menus. Yes, there were lots of seafood choices for dinner, but not all of it was local. At lunch, there were conch fritters and always a choice of roti with some curry, but that was pretty much it by way of local flavors.

The Room. I stayed in an Ocean View room. It was fine, but no more than that. It was on the ground floor and the patio was protected by lots of foliage, thereby blocking both the breeze and any real view of the ocean. The cushions on the furniture were stained or dirty. I spent little time in the room anyway.

The room was where some things were less than wonderful.

First, when I made my reservation, I told the representative that I had a minor physical disability and asked if I could have a shower bench. She told me that would be no problem, but they had no other accommodations, including no hand shower. It turned out that my room was (as I was told by an assistant manager) the one (sort of) “accessible” room at the resort. There left me a plastic shower chair for the tub and, to my great surprise and relief, the tub had grab bars. The shower itself, though, was lousy. The water pressure sucked. The shower was a hand shower but had a very difficult “latch” to take it use it as a hand shower.

I chalked up poor water pressure to it being an isolated resort, but when I used the shower at the spa, there was great water pressure and a great, easy to use and hand shower. This needs to be fixed in the rooms, or at least the one “accessible” room.

Second, the room is getting a bit dated. There were cracks in the plaster / paint in the bathroom that are in need of repair.

The air conditioner worked, and the weather was never too hot as I was there in December, but the thermostat was set much cooler than the a/c could cool the room to and at times a touch cooler would have been nice. Also, on a few occasions, the a/c spit out small chunks of ice.

Third, when I arrived, I noticed the room was missing a safe and a clock radio. That was fixed the next day (even though I complained about the safe when I checked in).

Fourth, there was a light fixture in the entry way that was missing a globe throughout my stay. There was a bare bulb above the entry way mirror with the clips for a globe, but no globe. Housekeeping should have noticed it and fixed it right away.

Fifth and finally, one day Housekeeping left my door with the chain propping the door open even after they finished. Thankfully, nothing was missing from my room but that is a huge oversight.

Traveling Solo. I expected to be a little uncomfortable at a resort with lots of honeymooners and where at least most guests were couples. I was never uncomfortable, even at dinner. The staff always treated me well, I met nice people, and when I was eating alone (usually) I simply enjoyed my book and at dinner sipped my wine.

All in all it was a wonderful, relaxing, quiet vacation.

I didn’t and don’t understand those folks who went to a place like Peter Island but wanted to travel to lots of other islands and see lots of things. That’s fine if that’s what you want, but Peter is quiet and isolated. Come and savor that!

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are close to the Tradewinds restaurant for breakfast (and many dinners). Beach Fro...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Carrie S, Manager at Peter Island Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for vacationing with us on Peter Island, and for sharing this wonderfully thorough review of your experience. We are so glad that your trip was relaxing and enjoyable for you overall, but will take note of the issues and details you were gracious enough to bring to our attention. We hope to have the opportunity to host you for many getaways in the future, and look forward to getting to know you more.

At your service,

C. Smith

585 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was the first time to Peter Island, won't be our last! Went the last week of November. We stayed in the ocean view room and liked the view and location. We wanted beachfront but were shocked at how much more they cost! Didn't spend much time in room because of all the water activities and day trips. It was very easy to travel to other islands, but it also made us realize how nice Peter Island was. The service was excellent as was the food! The grounds were beautiful and the snorkeling on White Bay beach was GREAT! Our only disappointment was that the spa was closed for remodeling My wife did get a fantastic massage but it was in the oceanfront room and not the spa. Our room was very nice but I do think it's time for a little remodel. We do recommend the food plan. Do your research on meal prices before you arrive! They don't allow changes in meal plans once you are there. This is their only mistake. A couple we were with didn't have the meal plan and she was so unhappy about it. We would be thrilled to go back to Peter Island! P.S. Be sure to snorkel at the Indians with Capt. Randy!

Cary, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The proliferation of raves gives me pause but I believe that comparing cons to pros (no matter how minor they may seem) provides the seasoned traveler with valuable data essential to making an informed vacation choice. Thus.....

Pros: The location IS idyllic. The developed side of the island faces north and all rooms whether OV or OF benefit 24/7 from steady north-northeast winds which mostly are light to moderate breezes....showers are infrequent but can be heavy for brief periods and surfaces usually dry in a few hours. We have always timed our stays to several days on either side of the full moon (max out the romance factor).. it is breathtaking when rising over Deadman's Bay. A complementary bottle of champagne was chilling in a bucket when we entered our room.

The grounds are immaculate and well tended....flowers, palms and exotic flora are everywhere. The freshwater pool and many beaches are picture postcard offering whatever degree of privacy is desired. Cart transportation is frequent, free and happily provided to wherever one wishes to go on the island. The entire staff (and it is huge) from management to all service providers (with only a few exceptions) is well trained, amiable, quick to laugh and always a pleasure to have nearby (which is usually the case). Five star!

The food warrants only a "very good". While several dishes were excellent (surf & turf, whole grilled local snapper) the menus had a habit of repeating, breakfast never changed, lunch varied only with a daily special added to standard choices, dinners did offer wide choices and were the best meal of the day although not considered of gourmet quality (see Lamb Wellington under cons below). A tad brassy to levy a $15 supplement upon FAP guests for lobster tail on the one and only night (out of 10) that it was offered....especially when the FAP charge is $145 per person per day.

We are repeat visitors having first been here in the '70s when intimacy was dominant and romance was king. Deadman's Grill was a small tiki hut and is now a monstorous (but attractive) restaurant/bar on the beach; Drake's Channel "lounge" is a 12' square cold bar sans any décor or atmosphere and Tradewinds restaurant has lost much of its quaintness and appeal. (Idyllic and Intimate to Idyllic and Better?). Overall however, Peter Island Resort & Spa probably sets the gold standard for island luxury and amenities.

Cons: Charging FAP guests a $6 supplement for one glass of fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast.
Dress code is proclaimed to not require jackets for men but OK for "collared" shirts....forget the enforcement of even that minimal taste in dinner wear! We "dined" twice where guests in shorts, flip-flops and (dirty?) T-shirts were seated nearby which killed our enjoyment of those meals. Not a word was said to those tasteless individuals.

Lack of Class - on a Tuesday night while chatting with the General Manager before dinner and mentioning that we were celebrating a milestone anniversary, he graciously invited us as his guests to attend that Thursday night "Wine Dinner" in the private room at Tradewinds (which is offered to guests at $100 pp supplement)).....we were very moved and my lady immediately began planning her dressing for that night). Unfortunately, the next night at the beach buffet (at which the GM was present and circulating at the complementary weekly cocktail party) we were verbally disinvited from the Wine Dinner by a hostess (NOT the GM) with the explanation that the resort had not sold any other chairs to the dinner hence it was being cancelled. Lack of class in spades!

Caveat folks: Accounting at the resort tacked a $1000 "HOLD" on my AMEX account upon our arrival WITHOUT my knowledge and authorization and without informing me that it had been done. I found out only the next day by being emailed an "Alert" from AMEX that such a temp charge had been made "without card being presented". When I complained to desk manager I was informed that was PI's policy but at no time previously including booking procedure and paperwork was I ever informed of such policy. Kinda shabby policy considering I had paid over $7000 full cost in advance several months earlier. It was managements guesstimate of what my "incidental" charges might amount to for my 10 day stay. In other words we think you might skip without paying your extra charges....you have to trust us to provide your paid-up room and meals but we don't trust you for incidentals (which actually came to $611 upon checkout).

The "world class" spa was unavailable because closed for indefinite renovations.

Lamb Wellington - promised at our request several months in advance of our stay for our special anniversary dinner by the seawall outside Tradewinds. Not as expected. The pate in a class presentation would have been foie gras pulsed perhaps with a dollop of sweet butter, a drop or two of premium brandy and a sprinkling of black truffles. We got what tasted like pureed liverwurst with an overpowering taste.

Sorry if I appear to be a nit-picker but my expectations were very much affected by details and hopefully will be accepted by management as constructive and by future guests as informative and helpful.

Room Tip: OV rooms in A-Frame cottages offer best value, air circulation, view of Drakes Channel (from upper l...
Fla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We celebrated our wedding anniversary at peter island. This is a high end resort on a beautiful island. A short ferry ride from Tortola. We met other couples who were return visitors. You can be as social as you like.

Pros:
- beautiful island, incredible vistas, the resort is very well kept and is immaculate.
- suites are very nice, and clean
- front resort and front desk staff are very polite (the watersports attendants were not particularly helpful however)
- the restauarant staff makes and effort to learn your name, and nearly everyone was exceptionally welcoming and friendly - the restaurants serve uniformly terrific food.
- pick up at the airport , and transfer to the island was seamless.
- the gym: well stocked with free weights, nautilus machines

- the spa: a wonderful experience; treatments, infiniti pool - amazing

Cons:
- none

Advice:
- if you plan on visiting "the baths," the resort arranges a trip but only on thursdays
- absolutely subscribe to the meal plan - DONT DOUBT it !!!
individually, each meal would crunch your budget.

Room Tip: Subcribe to the meal plan - a financial must ! Rooms in the 250s on Deadman's Bay Beach have...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I are on the flight back from Peter Island to Chicago and if it wasn't for our dog, we may have stayed forever.

First off, we are 38 and have traveled to many tropical destinations, having been to Four Seasons Costa Rica, Ritz Grand Cayman, Maroma in Riviera Maya and One and Only Bahamas. I have to say while we enjoyed every vacation, Peter Island surpassed our expectations.

The staff could not have been more accommodating. Special thanks to the bartender Captain for going above and beyond. Jean Kelly was wonderful and so much fun, Rozelle, Raquel "Welch", Maxine, Wilbert the GM, Donnette, Eldore, Wilsey, Susan at the beach, Jennefer, Sean, Vernon at the ocean activities center...etc. There were more, but my mind is still in vacation mode.

We stayed in an Ocean Front room. Nothing better than walking out your back and having a hammock to lounge on while napping or star gazing and the waves breaking 20 yards away. It made for wonderful sleeping. We did not see the ocean view rooms, but if you can spend a bit more, do the ocean front rooms. While not stuffy, the room was tastefully decorated, had a fantastic bed, double shower and oversized jacuzzi.

The beaches were wonderful. From the main Deadman's beach and all of the free activities and gorgeous caribbean water, which truly was amazing. We took a kayak out every day and checked out honeymoon beach which is a great little beach for couples. They only allow one couple at a time on that beach. The other was White Bay which they will drive you to and give you a picnic on the beach. It is more rustic and desolate and a fun way to have a quiet picnic with your loved one. The snorkeling is best at this beach as well.

The food was wonderful. We had the breakfast buffet every day, as it was included using our Amex Platinum Card. Definitely try Jean Kelly's famous French Toast as well. Dinner was great. They alternated between Tradewinds and the more casual Dead Mans Beach Grille. The Pig Roast buffet was a lot of fun on Wednesday and they do a private wine dinner with 5 other couples each Thursday as well, which we heard was great. The fish dishes were excellent and the tenderloin was surprisingly awesome.

It was a great mix of people from retirees to honeymooners. We met wonderful couples from NYC to London to Virginia. It was a great mix and we enjoyed the fact that there were no little kids on the island as well.

I would recommend a daysail if you like to boat or want to do some more adventurous snorkeling or scuba. They can set you up at the dive shop. We did a daysail to Norman Island, which was one of the highlights.

Keep in mind, if you come into Tortola after 5, you will most likely have to take the gerry from the marina about 20 minutes away. On the way there we took the ferry from that marina. Fortunately, on the way back the ferry took us right to Beef Island, where the airport is located.

If you are looking for casual luxury in a beautiful setting, don't hesitate and go to Peter Island. The setting, people, food and accommodations made for a perfect trip. We will see you again within the next year or sooner. Thanks!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Edgewood, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was our 1st trip to Peter Island. We visited during the last week of November. It was truly an awesome vacation; we are already talking about going back.

We flew into St. Thomas. It’s nice that on your way to your bags, there’s a stand setup offering free shots of their rum (Cruzan). A great way to start the trip – tasting island rum. Then you stop by the Tropic Tours desk in the baggage claim area – they will have your name on the list. Grab your bags, then the tour guys take you to a shuttle where you will meet others heading to the resort with you. It’s a short ride, and then you get on the boat. They have a couple boats for this. Then you head to Tortola for a customs check, finally off to Peter Island. Customs was very lax on the way, but scanned our luggage on our way home, from the island.

When you get to the island, you are greeted by a couple of the resort personnel. It reminded me of the show “Fantasy Island”. You are handed a towel scented with ginger (I think) to freshen up a bit, then they cart you to your room. The rooms are adorable (my wife’s comment). Even with the explanations & instructions from the “greeters” I found myself a bit lost. It’s very relaxing here; it took me some time to adjust. The room was plenty large enough, and the bathroom was perfect with 2 sinks. There was no TV in the room, but I was told that you could request one. The radio only gets something like 2 stations. The only problems I had were 1) the bed is a bit firm, 2) the remote control for the room temp is confusing. My advice is “if the room is fine when you arrive – don’t adjust anything”. There is a club house with a Widescreen TV, Pool Table, and a PC. Wifi is also available, and does work pool-side. There is also a fitness center with a TV; it’s located past the Deadman’s Beach Bar.

The grounds are spectacular with 1 view more amazing than the next. The pool is quiet with a nice view of Tortola and has plenty of chairs to lounge in. It’s right next to the Tradewinds bar & restaraunt. Deadman’s Beach is the place to be: Bar & lunch service on the beach, a few anchored yachts, warm water, some beach activities, umbrellas & tables with plenty of comfortable lounge chairs. I could have stayed there all day, every day.

We did the 5 mile walk. It is not an easy walk but the views are unimaginable. There are a few resting spots along the way with water coolers (thank God). Note: this is not a 5 mile walk around the entire island; it’s a walk to the Sunset Loop. You cannot walk around the whole island. We did not do White Bay nor Honeymoon Bay. Other’s said that White Bay was nice.

We did take the free shuttle to Road Town, Tortola. I would not recommend this because it’s not really a tourist town. There was really nothing to see or do. If you do go, the only place we liked was Pusser’s Bar.

We also joined a group of fellow vacationers, who we met when we arrived, on a chartered a boat and did some island cruising. We had a few stops, which included the Soggy Dollar. What a great trip that was.

Lastly, a few tips. Bring a bottle of something to make a drink in your room – it is allowed. Do not purchase the meal plan – missing just 1 meal will cancel any advantage you may have had by pre-paying (note – the meals were all excellent). Take the 5 mile Sunset Loop walk; you will get some beautiful views. Try to book an excursion to Soggy Dollar Bar. Make sure you have a passport.

Room Tip: Bring a bottle of something to make a drink in your room. Do not purchase the meal plan. Take the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrie S, Manager at Peter Island Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic review and advice for future guests! I am so glad to read that you are already talking about visiting us again. We have heard from other guests that the vibe on Peter Island can be an adjustment at first, but one that you'll never want to adjust out of. Finding that special place where you can relax and just be is what Peter Island is all about. We look forward to hosting you again soon for another relaxing and enjoyable vacation.

At your service,

C. Smith
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The third of four hotels on this trip; not the most modern in terms of decor, but our favourite! A lovely atmosphere, the food was excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly. Beautiful views from all sides of the island. We spent a day at White Bay, transferred by the hotel and then a nice picnic delivered to us at lunchtime. Excellent snorkelling there. Lots of activities available, but also lots of space to relax and do nothing. The islands are really beautiful and we would happily go back for longer next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Peter Island Resort? Share your experiences!