“PURE PLEASURE!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peter Island Resort

Save Saved
You added Peter Island Resort to your Saves list
Peter Island Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 211, Road Town | Tortola, 00801 2409, Peter Island   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Peter Island
Smithtown, New York
“PURE PLEASURE!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is the first time We are writing a review. We felt it was necessary.
O.K. I will try to describe this as best I can. My Wife and I have been to so many Islands in the Caribbean it's hard to keep track. We are always looking for better. Out of over a dozen or so Islands we've only been back to two of them. From Bermuda to the Grenadines from places like the Ocean Club in the Bahamas, Parrot Cay in Turks and Caicos, Cuisinart in Anguilla, and Palm Island in the Grenadines and most Islands in between. Peter Island is another story they greet you at the airport wisk you away to Peter Island like magic. Once there everything starts a cool drink, a brief overview of the island, then to your room which I will describe clean, cozy, very comfortable. The view beautiful, waves crashing against the rocks, Islands in the backround. There are no words that can describe the beaches . Well maybe ? SPECTACULAR and that may not be good enough. The staff on Peter Island Oh My God! every person on this Island is fantastic! I will credit this to Management because they come from all over the Caribbean. It will be very hard to mention a favorite and for those of you who love there Mother's and for those Moms that love your kids you are going to meet Mrs. Jean Kelly this women is the sweetest and warmest person you will ever meet in this world. Her kindness is beyond anything we have ever known. Your life will be forever blessed just meeting her. For those of you coming to Peter Island and wondering about the price of the meal plan don't. All I can say is please come hungry the food is great, the chef's are wonderful. Alberga who overseas food and beverage will see to your every need from a simple cup of coffee every morning to your every wish. For those of you that like to be pampered the Spa is wonderful or just spend some time at the spa the views are spectacular. My wife and I were on Peter Island during one night of extreme weather due to Isaac a tropical storm. This is when a great staff takes charge under the supervision of the GM Mr. Mason he took complete control. From start to finish as the storm grew closer the staff sent out daily updates Mr. Mason came around insured us of our safety he talked to us and went over every detail and just like that the storm was gone. Now I have to get a little serious because there is one problem on Peter Island that even this wonderful staff and Mr. Mason as fantastic as they all are I feel the problem is hopeless. You will feel sadness as you walk to the dock board the boat to leave. As you see Peter Island grows small in the distance you will take a deep breath and say WOW! I truly need to come back! As I write this I have a tear in my eye because I am now home.

Anthony & Irene
Long Island, NY

P.S. Mrs. Jean ( MOM)
We will see you soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrie S, Manager at Peter Island Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Anthony & Irene,

I have a tear in my eye reading your review! Thank you so much for this absolutely wonderful review about your time with us. I have passed along your kind words to Mr. Mason and Ms. Kelly, as I'm sure they will both be delighted and touched. And you truly do need to come back! Please come stay with us again soon - we so look forward to having you.

598 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I spent seven nights on Peter Island for our honeymoon, and I can honestly say that it was the most relaxing place that I've ever been. The service, scenery, and accommodations were unparalled. I was somewhat apprehensive about not booking a beachfront room, but after arriving I was thrilled to see how nice our room was. There is a balcony in the front with chairs and a table that provide amazing views of the ocean, grounds, and pool. It was a great place to relax and read after a long day at the beach. The back balcony faces the marina, and provides a great view of the boats that come to the island. Peter Island is not the kind of place to go if you are looking to party well into the night. They do have two great bars, but neither stays open very late. We chose the meal plan (3 meals a day), and would highly recommend this option. In addition, we did the wine tasting dinner which turned out to be a great experience. The general manager of the property also attended the small dinner that was held in the private wine room/dining room. He was extremely friendly, and made us feel like he was truly glad to have us. The food, overall, was outstanding. We had a wide array of items from which to pick for each course, and nothing that we ordered was less than spectacular. Deadman's beach is absolutely gorgeous, and the water is amazing. We went to the beach each day, and never had any trouble finding chairs. The layout is great as the chairs are situated under thatched umbrellas, and are spaced out far enough apart to where you have some privacy and are not right on top of the other guests. The fact that the resort does not pack people in like sardines was great, and you will often feel like you are the only ones on the island. We were invited to a reception in one of the villas for cocktails one evening and were absolutely floored by the views. Essentially, you can point your camera in any direction on Peter Island and the result will lead people to believe that you are a professional photographer. We chose to go on the day-long snorkeling trip, and could not have enjoyed ourselves more. The boat captain was so knowledgeable and an overall cool guy. As we sailed, he noted points of interest and provided drinks throughout the day. The last stop on the trip is at the Baths in Virgin Gorda. It was a bit crowded for my liking, but definitely worth seeing. The boat was a very good size, and we had room to spread out and take in all of the scenery. I would also recommend watching the sunset from one of the highest points of the island. The staff drove us to the top, opened a bottle of champagne for us, and set up trays in front of our adirondack chairs for cheese, crackers, and fresh fruit. After the sun goes down, the staff will promptly return to pick you up. One of my favorite activities that we did was to have a picnic lunch on the other side of the island. the beach is virtually empty, and each couple has their own private cabana. The staff will bring you an amazing picnic lunch as well. Finally, you can arrange to have a few hours alone on honeymoon beach where you will be the only guests. The snorkeling and swimming are really good at this beach as well. Paddle-boarding and kayaking off of Deadman's Beach was really enjoyable as well. My wife went to the spa on a couple of occasions. I joined her one afternoon just so I could go to the pool there (really relaxing). I cannot thank the staff enough for making this vacation absolutely perfect and memorable. Do yourself a favor and go to Peter Island. You will not regret it. The worst part about it was after we got home. We couldn't stop talking about how amazing everything was, and why we are wasting our lives living in a big city.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms were great in my opinion. If I were returning I would choose them again. Did no...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing this phenomenal review! I'm so glad you had a chance to meet Wilbert Mason, our General Manager, who loves meeting and interacting with guests. I'm also glad to hear that all of your food selections were nothing short of excellent - did you know Tradewinds was recently named one of the top 100 hotel restaurants? We were thrilled to receive this honor and many others, but much more touched by reviews like yours. Setting the scene for a vacation you'll remember forever is priceless. Please come see us again soon - perhaps your first anniversary?

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Having sailed the BVI's for 8 days we arrived on the island greeted by the most amazing warm welcome. Our sea view room did not disappoint, view was picture postcard, although let down by nature dumping seaweed on our doorstep.
American food plan was more than you could ever hope for and the choice of both restaurants on alternate nights gave more variety.
We had a problem with the bar closing at 10.30 however the new food and beverages manager stepped up to the mark and kept the bar open with grace and a smile.
We didn't get round to using the spa, although the pool there is intimate and quiet.
All in all it was a lovely experience, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Snorkelling, water sports and just general beach facilities were great.
Thank you for a lovely holiday Peter Island.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to the sea view rooms, worth the extra spend
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for including a stay at Peter Island in your BVI adventure, and for sharing this wonderful review about your time with us. I enjoyed reading about your experience, particularly the warm the welcome you received and our accommodating food & beverage director. Please be sure to set aside some time for the spa during your next visit! It has more to offer than you might imagine - including a breathtaking view of the ocean.

You are most welcome for a lovely holiday, and we look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Peter Island!

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I went there for the first time. We only spent three nights, but we left already trying to figure out when we would be back. The staff was amazingly friendly - but they didn't hover like they do at some places. We enjoyed all of our meals. There is almost nothing like doing the sunset loop - ask about it when you check in.

We were told that the resort recently instituted a casual dress allowed policy - and I think that was the best move. It contributed even more to the feeling of relaxation than we would have already had. Some resorts, either because of the atmosphere or the guests, can feel pretentious, and this was not the case here at all.

If you go, and I think you should, I recommend reserving a spot on Whitesail Beach, not Honeymoon Beach. We tried Honeymoon, but we were constantly bothered by snorkelers and boats docked in the bay. I also recommend, if you have time, taking the day trip to Virgin Gorda. When you arrive, you can get snorkel gear from the resort, and they will let you keep it with you in your room until you check out - so you don't have to keep going back to ask for it.

We did not go to the spa, so I cannot comment on that.

Room Tip: If you stay in the ocean front suites, as we did, both the first floor and the second floor have adv...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrie S, Manager at Peter Island Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for visiting us and for sharing this very helpful review for future guests! We hope that you are able to stay with us a bit longer the next time around, but we are glad you still found time to enjoy the Sunset Loop and numerous beaches. Each beach truly has its own personality, so we always enjoy hearing which one people enjoy most. We're glad you noted the comfortable, relaxed vibe of our island as well - your ability to relax is our primary concern. Please come back and relax sometime soon!

Haddonfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon here. It was wonderful. I should probably tell you we are in our 50s but we are high school sweethearts. We just were a little detoured. My husband wanted our honeymoon to be very special and he made all the plans. I had no idea where we were going. It was truly heaven. I highly recommend this for any couple whether on your honeymoon or just trying to recapture the romance. The staff could not have been more helpful. The island is beautiful. You feel like it is your personal get-a-way. Restaurant choices are excellent. Restaurants are very much like fine gourmet eateries not at all like a resort. There is a spa where most of the treatments have the backdrop of the Caribbean. You can work out while watching the water lap the beach. There are also trips for sailing and snorkeling available. You absolutely can't go wrong with a vacation here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for spending your honeymoon with us and for sharing this wonderful review! Our island lends itself perfectly to romantic getaways and special occasions. We wish you and your new husband the very best, and hope that you will come spend your future anniversaries with us (couples massage, anyone?).

alpharetta, ga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

My Family was recently on vacation in the Virgin Islands- on one of our day trips we decided to visit Peter Island for lunch with 16 friends and family members. My husband and I were so excited to return on our 10 year anniversary of our honeymoon at your resort.
While the views and beaches have remained beautiful, the service was deplorable. The staff was unbelievably rude and inappropriate. From the marina attendant to restaurant staff.  Our server actually felt inclined to "parent" my 8 yr old son who was upset with his entree- which was prepared wrong and was her mistake!
Needless to say, we were very disappointed at the level of service- there are many resorts with beautiful views and accommodations that understand importance of world class service- saddened this is still not the standard at your resort.

• Stayed July 2012
Carrie S, Manager at Peter Island Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for visiting Peter Island and for sharing this important feedback with us. We are so very sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience. We pride ourselves on providing outstanding service that comes from the heart, and clearly we missed our mark during your time with us. We discussed your review thoroughly at a staff meeting and are using it as an opportunity to improve our service. We hope that you will consider another visit to Peter Island, and thank you for sharing your review.

DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I and two teenage children just returned from a 1 week vacation at Peter Island. It was a wonderful experience, and it exceeded our expectations.
Peter Island Resort is great for a relaxing, laid-back vacation. The primary activities are beach lounging, spa services, and eating. I wouldn't recommend Peter Island for a "type-A" vacation, although the Resort can arrange most any activity.
Our rooms were top-notch by Caribbean standards. We had 2 interconnecting Beach-front Suites, which is great for families with children. They are very large, conveniently located on the beach, quite luxurious, and have wonderful bathrooms. They are serviced twice a day, and the refrigerators are restocked with complimentary non-alcoholic beverages once a day.
The staff is very friendly, welcoming, and relaxed. And the staff count is rather large for the number of guests - I would say about 2 to 1. Many of the staff took a personal interest in us and called us by name and treated us like family. They went out of their way multiple times to accommodate our needs.
The food is all gourmet quality. All the meals were very good, and a few dishes were stellar. The food prices are high, which is typical in the Caribbean, but an all-inclusive Full American Plan (FAP) is offered (about $150/person/day) and well worth it if you plan to eat 3 meals a day. One annoying feature of their FAP is that all beverages (even soft drinks) are an additional charge. I can understand charging for alcoholic drinks, but charging additional for coffee, tea, sodas, water, etc. seems petty at a resort of this caliber. But that being said, they had a wonderful menu of tropical alcoholic mixed-drinks which were bargain-priced at $10 (and virgins were $6). So, I suppose it all works out in the end!
Leaving to return home was a sad and heartfelt event. There were many hugs with the staff as we boarded the Resort ferryboat to the Tortola airport. There were no "good bye's", only "see you later's". They had taken wonderful care of us for the past week, and God willing we will return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Carrie S, Manager at Peter Island Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for bringing your family to Peter Island and for sharing this fantastic review about your vacation!

We are proud to be able to offer such a relaxing getaway for our guests, while also being able to accommodate the adventurous traveler - and we're so glad you took note of this.

As beautiful as our island is, what truly makes Peter Island Resort special is our outstanding staff. When they say, "see you later," they really mean it! Please come and visit us again soon!

C. Smith

Been to Peter Island Resort? Share your experiences!