“Best place for a vacation” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Virgin Gorda   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in North Sound
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manhasset, New York
“Best place for a vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I have been going to the Bitter End every January, for our winter vacation, for the last 18 years. It is about as close to heaven as one can get. Everyone there is friendly and even remembers our names. The facilities are terrific especially the water sports. Plenty of different types of sailboats to use depending on your sailing experience. They have sailing lessons for those who want to learn. The food is great,and plenty of it, and the rooms varied but all very nice. They provide lots of day trips and there is always the great beach if you just want to relax. If your a sailor The Bitter End Pro-Am is an out of this world experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Simferopol, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The best place in the Caribbean!
Excellent. responsible, friendly staff, quality service!
The cozy rooms! Luxury nature and fascinating view from the windows!
Special thanks to the Chef Harry!
The Chef Harry is really magic man!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
St Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We went with a group of friends (12 adults) for someone's birthday, but there were also 4 children (under the age of 10) with us. When we got there, we were very warmly greeted at the dock and the porter took us and our bags right to our rooms. The rooms were very comfortable, with AC and a gorgeous view. The bathroom was half inside and half outside... and it was huge! Loved that there was a clothesline in the shower as well, so we could hang our bathing suits after we washed them. The beds were comfortable, but a little squeaky. They could use a some WD40, but they weren't uncomfortable at all. The front desk was great about sending up the little car whenever we needed and they were always there within minutes to take us to the restaurants or dock. We ate at the Crawl Pub the first night, just nachos, wings and pizzas, and it was very good. We also got a Caesar salad, with blackened mahi. The fish tasted very fresh and the dressing on the Caesar was great, tasted homemade. The frozen cocktails were really good, although the menu doesn't list the ingredients, which we thought was odd. The waiter knew the ingredients and was happy to help us choose - most of us loved the Lemon Crush the best! It was like a frozen vodka and lemonade. They do have Heineken on tap, which is a nice treat because we don't really have draught beer in St Thomas! The first morning, the girls all got together and went on the hike... it's a great hike and workout! There are points that are pretty steep, so it really works the butt! :) There are a few trails, so you can choose to do a longer one or a shorter one... and the views are beautiful! The breakfast buffet was really good too, with a mimosa and bloody mary bar! My husband and I signed up for a massage for the next morning and were pleasantly greeted at the desk when we arrived. We were taken to a little bungalow and had a very nice spa room together. I had a Swedish massage with Asha, she was great! She was a small woman, but very strong!! She made sure that I was happy with the pressure and really got the knots out! My husband had a Deep Tissue massage with Claudette. He said that she was able to really get into the muscles and she did such a good job that he was actually sore the next day! He likes very strong, deep tissue massages though, so he was happy about that. We took our boat to the Baths during the day and when we came back, there was someone there to greet us and take us up to our rooms. The sunset was amazing! We did a private dinner outside the restaurant that night - they had a table set up beautifully for us! We had a salad to start, then the beef carpaccio and seared tuna appetizers. They were both delicious! Most of us got the surf and turf, with the filet and Anegada lobster, for dinner. The food was tasty, but the steaks were a little overcooked. Not by much, but I would order one temp under what you're used to ordering. The flavors were great and the lobster was cooked perfectly! For dessert, there were a few options that the server told us about. The key lime pie was delicious and so was the banana crumble. A lot of people ordered the caramel pretzel chocolate mousse, which was very tasty, but definitely heavy on the salt. A lot of us scraped the top layer of the mousse off, because it was too salty. We had some wine with dinner and the server was wonderful at properly serving it and pouring for the ladies first, etc. Overall, we were very please with the whole experience! The next day when we were getting ready to leave, the resort staff was exceptional in helping us get our bags to the boat and helping us to check out. We had a great time, and will definitely be back! We were only there for a short weekend, Friday night until Sunday morning, so next time's trip will be for a longer stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
zurich, switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We received a very warm welcome on the deck, coming off the ferry from Trellis Bay. Our rooms were not ready yet but we were offered breakfast and the possibility to leave our bags with the porter. We spent most of our time on the water, making use of the little Whalers and Hobie Cats to explore the waters of the North Sound. Brilliant! A wonderful place for those that love being on and in the water: snorkelling, wind surfing, SUP, anything you wish for. Breakfast is generous with all sorts of juices, bagels and home made breads. We had steak for dinner and it was very good! The staff is extremely friendly: Eva at the reception, Charlie the 'taxi driver', Joseph the porter, and all the ladies and gents in the restaurant: thank you for making our stay memorable! We were told that the North Sound Suites will be completely redone next season. I think that is a great move, and not a day too soon. They are dated and old, very spacious yes, and air-conditioned, but they are just old. So that is good news.

Room Tip: suggest to avoid North Sound Suites until after reno. They are ok, but old. Great views over the Nor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I ran a catamaran in the area and we would often take our guests here to enjoy the amenities. It's a great spot to try hobie cats, go for a massage, or just relax for a meal. The sunsets are amazing and the BBC's are the best!

Room Tip: The rooms facing saba rock don't have AC but the wind is strong in there so it carries away the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at the Bitter End for a couple nights while on business, unfortunately I did not have a chance to enjoy all of the amenities and activities on the resort. I love the BVI's and this was my first time to the North Sound, so if you're traveling from the states it is a bit of a trip to get to. Once at EIS you have to take a taxi to the North Sound ferry dock and take a ferry or boat over to Virgin Gorda, its about a 20-30 min ride. I took both a private charter and a ferry and its about the same amount of time.

The resort is lovely, the beds are comfy, the rooms are super clean and the beachfront cottages are very nice and spacious. My only concern is that there aren't any locks in the rooms and no air conditioning in the regular beachfront cottages. There were times I just ran out of my room and I had left my valuables out, and had to run back to put them in the safe. Not that I ever felt unsafe but you never know!

I ate at both restaurants and everything was tasty! As others have mentioned that everything is pretty pricey but totally worth it.

Overall I would return since I didn't get a chance to enjoy the resort as much as I would have liked. Its on my to do list next year when I return to the BVIs.

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms closer to the center of the resort since some can be a bit far and up lots of s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Roseau, Dominica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I spent the last 8 days at BEYC....I never knew vacation could be so grand! Went on the Sunset Dinner Cruise, the staff were all so professional and helpful, GREAT food, good company, wonderful service.

This is my second time at BEYC....any time in the BVI one needs to visit BEYC, be it for Sunday Brunch, the Sunset Dinner Cruise or just to hang out!

Thanks to the F & B Team and their Director; the Housekeeping Team et al

Room Tip: A must stay in the BVI
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Bitter End Yacht Club? Share your experiences!