“Beautiful, remote, exquisite ocean views & even great FOOD :)” 4 of 5 stars

Bitter End Yacht Club
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Virgin Gorda   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in North Sound
San Francisco, California, United States
“Beautiful, remote, exquisite ocean views & even great FOOD :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Beautiful resort on Virgin Gorda that truly looks like the pictures on the website. It really was a romantic, heavenly oasis out in the middle of the ocean with a killer view in a bungalow that feels very private. I was a little disappointed that our phone & bathroom light didn't work, given the price we paid nightly to stay there. We told the employee about this issue when he checked us into our room (there are no keys btw), & he said they would fix it but it unfortunately it never was. The problem with not having a working phone is that when you need a ride from a golf cart, you cannot get one. There are many steps, dirt paths, and long walk ways which only presented a real issue when we needed to walk to reception on departure with all our bags. That was the only negative I experienced.

Lovely private beaches + a nice pool area where you can order drinks & food. The breakfasts were AWESOME (mimosa bar w/ fresh juices) & you can sit feet from, if not in, the beach while you eat on the beachside terrace. Shops on the resort with swimwear, jewelry, and even a little store to get some rum or wine:) There's a great bars on the resort (w/ pool tables), that stayed open for us during a friends wedding so that was great! Lots of cool birds & fish to see everywhere & good snorkeling close by, particularly at the Baths which were PHENOMENAL! Do not go to Virgin Gorda without visiting the Baths - that would be a HUGE mistake! We did the catamaran trip w/ the resort & it was just perfect. Had the best day ever there.

I would definitely recommend this resort & go back in the future.

Room Tip: I believe they are all ocean views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

First, I have to disclose that I hurt my back on the first day of our 7 day vacation so I spent far more time in the hotel room than I had planned. With that disclosure: Getting to the resort is an adventure all to itself but we knew that from the start so we embraced that aspect of the journey. (two planes, two water taxis and two land taxis). We arrived in time for dinner and checked into our room. The room (more like a two unit cabin) was big (we stayed on the North hill area), but was definitely in need of a fresh coat of paint. Most walls had paint peeling. We loved the fact there there was no TV in the room and the view onto the water was spectacular!! Taking the path to the main resort area was nice, but again, there was lots of decay to the exterior of the buildings. (exposed rebar from the concrete pillars, hot water tanks on their side). The water activities are by far the best part of the resort. My wife was able to take full advantage of the snorkel trips while I did lots of reading thanks to my back. The food was good, a few surcharges at dinner for the good stuff when you are on the Admirals Plan. It seemed as if the resort was about 1/2 full. Our trip in April was just after school vacations, yet before the May wedding season. The service was far better than any other all inclusive trip (ie Sandals). Seemed like the entire resort was aware of my aching back yet finding a heating pad was not an easy task (my wife went to town and purchased one). Vigin Gorda is a beautiful island and this resort has beautiful views. The beach at the resort is average at best as is the pool. The excursions and onsite available boating is what this resort is all about.

Room Tip: We stayed on the north hill because we wanted a room with A/C. A short, but beautiful walk to the r...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My friend and I spent four full days at Bitter End and during that brief time, enjoyed a sunset champagne sail, guest cocktail party, Scuba, snorkeling, West Indies BBQ, three meals, including salad and breakfast buffets a day, new friends, friendly staff, ocean-side lounging, Caribbean music, heated pool, yoga, a sailing primer, spa services and a little shopping. All but the spa services and shopping were part of the very reasonable Admiral's package in this low-key, non-commercial resort. We also got to ogle Richard Branson's catamaran which happend to be moored at the end of the pier. The fresh-caught fish and home-made breads and pastries were delicious. If you like glitz, marble bathrooms and white tablecloths, this is not your place. The rooms are simple but ours came with a deck with a hammock and lounge chairs. Cooling was by ceiling fan. The shower was fine -- a little tricky to operate. There were free snacks and beverages in the room -- ample beach and bath towels with robes were also provided, along with nice Spa toiletries. I would love to go back for a longer stay with my husband and our grandkids.

Room Tip: I would pick a ground level room, which is still on the ocean. They're also cheaper than the hi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

After a grueling 5 days of sailing in the heat, humidity and lack of proper sleep and shower accommodations, this picture perfect bungalow hotel was my salvation! The staff were friendly and courteous and the grounds were lovely. The view was to die for! I just wished I had spent the week here instead of going sailing.

Room Tip: Bungalow 107 was close to the path. An easy walk to the pool and no one blocked the spectacular view...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We spent a week at BEYC (4/19-4/26) and my only regret is we didn't stay longer! We like a good balance of activity and sitting on the beach relaxing so we definitely could've used a few more days.

We didn't arrive on Tortola until 10 pm so we could've go on the scheduled ferries, but the resort arranged for a late transfer and it was absolutely seamless. The only wait was to get through customs. We arrived at Bitter end about 11 pm and it was clear most things were shut down for the evening. We were pleasantly surprised to find out they'd prepared a dinner tray for us and left it in our room. That was a lifesaver after 12+ hours of travel.

As it was (obviously) dark when we arrived, the morning was the big reveal and we were not disappointed. The view from our room (8 North) was stunning. I could've sat on our porch the whole first day. We opted for the premium beachfront cottage and midway through the week I was glad we had air conditioning. We kept our doors and windows open most of the time, but the wind died down later in the week. We would've been quite uncomfortable without a/c, but according to the many repeat visitors we met the weather was unusually warm and stagnant.

After reading some of the reviews, my biggest concern was the food. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality and variety of the options. The main restaurant had a buffet breakfast our first half of the stay, but as occupancy went down they switched to menu service. There was a ton of fresh fruit and plenty of options (make your own mimosas!). We had lunch at the main restaurant, the pool and at the pub and we were pleased with both the quality and the variety. The theme nights for dinner were fantastic and my only regret was we couldn't try everything. It never felt repetitive and the quality was great. We did go over to Saba Rock one evening just to check it out. I wish we would've saved our time. The service was terrible and the drinks disappointing.

And then the activities, oh the activities! There is so much planned every day that it's impossible to fit it all in on one trip! We took the Saturday excursion to The Baths (too crowded and touristy), the Sunset Cruise (only 3 other couples), the Sunset Sail (really, really nice), and the trip to Anegada (get the lobster!). There are tons of other options and I wish we would've done some of the shorter snorkle trips. We really didn't take advantage of the fleet because we didn't have enough time. My husband went on the Wreck of the Rhone diving trip and raved about it. The water sports staff was great (hello Gumption!) and super friendly.

One of the highlights of our trip was renting the Bradley 22 speed boat to go over to Jost Van Dyke. It was worth every single penny. We had a blast seeing some of the sites from our honeymoon and just relaxing at Foxy's and the Soggy Dollar. We got slightly lost (oops!) on our way back, but found our way eventually. I only recommend this adventure if you're very familiar with boats!

The second highlight of our trip kind of sums up the kind of service they have at the Bitter End. Several weeks prior to our trip I emailed the resort to see if they have any vow renewal packages because I wanted to surprise my husband for our 10 year anniversary. As things got busy leading up to the trip I totally forgot about it and just let it go. Imagine my utter and complete shock when on our last day Mary Jo surprised BOTH of us with a beautiful vow renewal ceremony out on Marriage Point. She'd felt terrible we hadn't connected to hash out a plan (my fault!) so she cooked up a scheme to get us out there prior to our departure. It was truly amazing and proof that Bitter End treats their guests as family and works hard to earn repeat business. We met so many wonderful couples while we were there and we were the only first-timers of the bunch and that speaks volumes.

While we really enjoyed our trip as a couple, we can't wait to take our kids back when they're old enough. I agree with previous posters who mentioned how well-behaved all the kids at the resort were. Truly amazing.

I think the bottom line is that you have to do your research before selecting this resort. It is not your typical Caribbean resort and if that's what you're expecting you'll likely be disappointed. It is a truly unique property and we can't wait to go back to experience everything we missed!

Room Tip: Make sure you're aware of the stairs! Even after staring at pictures daily for months I didn'...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Have been here several times and have noticed a considerable deterioration of food quality and service. Be mindful that we fully understand and accept "island speed / time", however, that should not impact friendliness which was absent this time with far too many of the staff. The exception was the lady who runs the dock who was very good by any measure.
If your memories of this place included friendly staff, good food and a fun time, you may need to lower your expectations. With prices going up the value equation here is slipping and you should plan accordingly

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
St. Clair Shores
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

It can take a long day of travel to get here, but HOW worth it! And it's one of the reasons the BEYC is so phenomenal. I just spent ten days here with a dear friend. We're very compatible travelers, even though she's content to spend her days on a lounge on the beach, and I like to move (just a bit!). If you love the water, if you dive, snorkel, sail, kite, swim......there's NO shortage of things to do. Since I did most activities solo, I did lots of group snorkel trips on the vessel Ponce de Leon, or the larger Corinthian. Met SOO many nice people, families, anniversaries, young, old.....never lacked for a snorkel buddy. The boat captains know the waters and all the great snorkel spots (everywhere!). One day went out in a resort skiff (available for guest use) to a mooring ball they set near rhe Eustacia reef and had at it with a fellow snorkeler (his wife wasn't keen on boats). It was great! The food is fantastic, ALL the help so very friendly! Accommodations, well, our Beach Villa was like something out of a travel magazine. Cleaning staff cleaned each day almost as if it was check-out......really thorough. Always lots of fresh towels, clean linens, robes, shower products.......and a hair dryer (never used, ya think??!). Their website is accurate.....get there if you can, say hi to Gunny. (bar), Beulah (clubhouse), Martin (pool), JUST to name a few. Sorry if this review seems rambling, there is so much to love about the Bitter End.........i wore flip flops or swim fins the entire trip.......ahhhhhhhh.

Room Tip: Some of the villas are way high.....great views, big climbs.....We liked, but if you don't like...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bitter End Yacht Club? Share your experiences!