“Cornflour soup and stringy chicken” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Malaysian, Thai, Pub
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Mold, United Kingdom
“Cornflour soup and stringy chicken”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

After seeing the reviews and hearing good reports from a friend we were quite looking forward to the £12 Sunday Banquet. The sweetcorn and crabmeat soup took me back to the sixties, tasteless and full of cornflour and I'm sure the sparse "crabmeat" was thin strips of ocean stick. As in a lot of Chinese restaurants/takeaways these days the chicken (satay) was dry and stringy. I can't imagine where it comes from. Other dishes we below average for a decent Chinese restaurant apart from the Szechwan beef which was rather good even though it only contained carrots, onions and one miniscule cube of green pepper in the way of veg..
No sign of any local beer... but good to see the cask beer which was from Jennings now owned by the national Wolverhampton and Dudley chain and this was well kept and pretty good.
It wasn't crowded and consequently the service was OK, but we had to ask for wet tissues to clean the fingers after the ribs.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Food slightly disappointing, service leaves much to be desired.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I ate here recently with family after hearing many good reviews and previously having a takeaway meal from here. We went to the Sunday banquet (previously buffet). The idea is it is all you can eat, but in reality it is difficult to eat all you want. You have a choice of starters and we were advised you we could order one each at a time. Instead of taking our orders they just brought four random starters out. Starters were good. Once the starters are finished two of the groups wanted further starters which then left the other two members of the group waiting and watching the others eat. I think a buffet would be much better.

Mains - again you are allowed to order one at a time. The main meals were not up to the standards that I previously ate in the takeaway meals and were not as good as previously tried by one of our party who had ate here before.

Dessert - fruit salad was literally a thimble size bowl with what appeared to be tinned fruit salad. Banana fritters were better.

The main issue I had was that one member of our group choose not to have a drink at the start. The other three had drinks, one Guinness and the others bottles of coke. After drinking my coke I then asked for a glass of tap water, at which point the member who didn't initally have a drink also asked for a glass of tap water too. The waiter went to get the drinks and when he returned I was given a small jug of water and the other member was told that it was "new policy" to charge 50p for tap water if you hadn't paid for a drink. I can entirely understand this if people are taking advantage, but when as a group we were spending £60 I found this to be unacceptable. It certainly left a bad taste for the meal as a whole.

One male member of staff appeared friendly however the female waitress (who I think spoke little english) was not just miserable she brought the food out in such a manner we thought it was going to be tipped into our lap rather than placed on the table.

Overall, I will probably stick to my local takeaway instead of going here for a meal.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Fantastic place, my wife was recommended by people at her work, they were right, fantastic.

If your looking for a super posh night out, wondering what fork to choose, and dressing up to the nines, this probably isn't the place for you.

However, is your looking for a smart relaxed night out, with great food, great atmosphere and great service you will not go wrong here.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wrexham
“The best real ale in Wales”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The warm and friendly welcome from the owners not mention a good selection of real ale from local micro brewers

Visited February 2013
wales
“GREAT STEAK!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

my family all go to the bridge inn we love it and further more the chef knows how to cook a great steak, how ever you ask for it that is what you get, the food is fresh and there is always lots of it, we have never had a bad meal here, we have been for most large family partys even boxing day dinner,there were 15 of us and it was great, the staff are very friendly and the resturant is lovely. we highly recommend the bridge inn.

Visited December 2012