“Rat in Room!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Virgin Gorda
Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel
You added Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel to your Saves list
The Valley, Virgin Gorda   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Virgin Gorda
Fergus Falls, Minnesota
“Rat in Room!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

I am not one to give a bad review, but rats are where I draw the line. Yes, a rat was in our room! The beds are worn out and need to be replaced. We also heard music every night so if you are a light sleeper this is not the place to stay. Other reviews talk about the roosters crowing, but this is normal anywhere in the BVI. On the plus side, it has its own beach, the staff is extremely friendly and you can easily walk to the marina or to other restaurants. The food at the hotel was also very good. The place has such potential if they would just fix the window screens to keep the rodents out and replace the mattresses.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Fisher’s Cove

A Delightful Visit Back In Time

This is a gem of an accommodation. A visit to Fisher’s Cove is akin to traveling back in time. The facility is a bit dated but that is what makes this place so appealing. The owner’s hospitality, his family, and their professional accommodating staff will enhance your visit. They set a high expectation for customer service and you will be made most welcome upon your arrival. We traveled to the BVI for the holiday season and birthday (50th & 21st) celebrations and were not disappointed with our decision to leave the USVI early. My husband and I traveled with our son and daughter (college age) to the BVI and it is one of our most memorable trips to date. We utilize Trip Advisor and other review sites for of our stateside and international travel research and based our selection on these reviews. We book a myriad of accommodation types from camping, hostels, B&B’s, cottages to 4+ star resorts. Our cottage did not disappoint us. Cheers to the Flax Family and staff for accommodating our early arrival and all of the wonderful things you did for us to make our trip special.

4 Savvy Worldwide Travelers from Alaska

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We traveled to BVI for an 8-night getaway to relax and unwind at Fischers Cove Beach Hotel and they did not let us down! Our room was large and clean and maid service kept it that way on a daily basis. Nothing fancy, but definitely adequate ... There were 2 beds and a small bureau, tiled floor, decent bathroom, and nice patio area. The room had a small refrigerator and you can rent a microwave and coffee pot. (Food in the area is expensive, so if you 're on a budget it would be advisable to take some packaged food with you. We ate lots of mac 'n cheese and pasta and were quite content!) The grounds are nicely landscaped, with colorful buildings and decor. I would strongly advise renting one of the air-conditioned rooms, as the weather (needless to say) is hot and humid. Although the AC'd rooms do not look out onto the water, that is a small price to pay for the comfort of AC after a hot day at the beach! August was off-season and there were many times when we were the ONLY people on the beach at the hotel. There is a wonderfully peaceful, open-air common area with rocking chairs that overlook the beach. There are shelves with books, games, puzzles, ... There is an open-air restaurant as well, and the service and food were good. A grocery market and small shopping center are about a mile's walk from the hotel. Cabs are easy to access, and you can go almost anywhere and ask for "James" and he will arrive promptly to provide transportation and advice! A nice day-trip is to The Baths which are three miles away. The huge rock formations enclose small pooled areas of water ........ soothing and peaceful. There's a not-too-difficult trek over and between rocks to get to another beach (Devil's Bay) that is gorgeous! Be prepared for a small hike down to The Baths and back up to civilization again, but it's worth the trek! (Neither of us were in tiptop shape and we did fine!) You can day-trip to other islands for the cost of the ferries which ranged from $20 to $50 roundtrip. All in all, a nice place to visit if you enjoy beaches and hot weather. (Side note: There are chickens and small lizards EVERYWHERE on the island... which only adds to the charm!) Fischers Cove Beach Hotel is a great inexpensive place to stay on Virgin Gorda.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

We worked with Fischer’s Cove for over a year to arrange a simple wedding, with close family, they were fabulous through the whole process, especially when it all went wrong –when a couple days before we were all due to fly, half from the UK and half from California - a stupid volcano in Iceland erupted! All the family from California arrived as planned and were well taken care of by everyone at the hotel, meanwhile, we (bride and groom) were stuck in the UK. We kept Fischer’s Cove up-to-date, and they were great; working with the registry office, and other people keep wedding plans on track in our absence. Eventually we made it on a flight, and arrived in the BVI's 24hrs before we were meant to say I do. We were straight on the phone with the hotel, and they advised us exactly where to go on Tortola to sort all the paper work. People at the registry office were expecting us, and had the paper work ready. Fischer’s Cove had arranged a person to marry us, who we met with just hours before the ceremony. When our flowers from another island missed the ferry - they sorted it out straight away the flowers were AMAZING! With plan so up in the air until the day before, Fischer’s cove was still able to arrange a beautiful wedding on their beach, and the most perfect small reception in their lounge. Although we were missing some UK relatives, and didn’t get to spend as much time with them as we had hoped for, it gives us all a perfect excuse to go back and do it all again.
My husband and I stayed in a beachfront hotel, which was about 15 steps to the waves, we didn’t have ac, but only really needed it one of the nights we were there. Otherwise the breeze was so nice... Only complaint about the room is that we were so close to the water, and the waves were so loud, we had a bit of trouble falling to sleep the first couple nights..not really a big problem...
Most of the family stayed in the hotel rooms, which we plenty spacious, even with 5 girls trying to get ready for a wedding all at the same time. The family room was huge, plenty of room for parents and a couple kids to spread out.
We ate breakfast in the hotel most mornings, but couldn’t quite pick a favourite dish... I loved the mango french toast, and my husband loved the omelettes.
We only ate dinner there one night, but my meal, ribs and shrimp was my favourite from the whole trip. They also provided the food for the reception, which was amazing...only disappointed that my dress was so tight, and I couldn’t eat as much as I wanted.
Anyway- it was such a quick trip – but we really did have our perfect wedding ! Massive thank you to Angella, Dawn, the other Dawn, Bianca, Wayne, and all the other staff that work so hard to make everything just perfect. Can’t wait to go back and stay a little longer...
Thanks for a beautiful day at Fischer’s cove!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

Virgin Gorda has beautiful beaches and surrounding islands. It's smaller than Tortola, and not much to do other than relax, eat & drink, sail, and swim! I stayed at Fischers Cove w/ husband and 7 yr old after reading the previous reviews. It is less expensive than all other places ON the beach, it's close to town for walking to ferry and market. BUT, if you want quiet at night and are not the most tolerant person, I would recommend staying elsewhere, for a bit more $. The non-A/C family cottage unit is spacious, but with windows open, the music in this main street area at all hours is exhausting. We moved to A/C hotel room to drowned out music, room is very outdated/bordering unhealthy. Towels offered are stained, comforter had blood stain drops on it, sheets had holes, room looked like a flood at some point. Don't get the last farthest unit in hotel near creek/mud basin, with trash floating. If a clean environment with COMFORTABLE bed that's not hard as a rock (with mattress shipping label on it from 11 yrs ago), no ants / cockroaches, and clean towels.... spend a bit more and stay elsewhere. Food nothing spectacular but just as expensive as all other places. Virgin Gorda is gorgeous, especially the Baths / Devil's Bay Beach. Don't miss that !! Don't bother with ferry to Anegada, absolutely NOTHING to see on flat island but 2 beach bars. Find better on Virgin Gorda. Visit to Little Dix Resort for a drink / meal is a MUST. Very expensive, but just gorgeous! Visit Nail Bay area on VG, fun restaurant called SugarCane - restaurant has pool. Food very expensive so just visit with that in mind ! Bamboo Cafe and Rock Cafe are within walking distance from Fishers Cove - good food, just $$... To Virgin Gorda, take North Sound Ferry from Beef Island (Trellis Bay) to Spanish Town / The Valley when visiting....Enjoy.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

The staff was so friendly, pleasant and helpful and it was right on a nice small beach and grounds. This is not your average resort (which is why we chose this place) but very low key and simple accommodations. Great location to get around. The rates for these rooms were great. Our first few nights were in a first floor room in the small hotel and the last couple of nights in a cottage. We spent minimal time in the hotel room because it just wasn’t inviting (could use quite a bit of updating/sprucing up). Also the walls were a bit thin so we could hear the TV (wanting TV on vacation is beyond me) and neighbors talking. Having the air conditioning was a perk to drown out the noise since we went to bed early. The cottage was nice to be in…more space and very airy with screened windows on all walls and ceiling fan. They have a restaurant with a water view but we only ate there for breakfast a couple of mornings. Overall we had a nice experience there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

Nature's Little Secret are the words used on the license plates for the British Virgin Island (BVI) of Virgin Gorda, and personally, I agree and I hope it does remain a secret, but life isn't worth living if you can't share what you have or know with others. Virgin Gorda is one of those special places that need to be shared.

Everyone is different, and not all people share the same feeling I do about Virgin Gorda. For example, a high maintenance woman from New York who was leaving the island on the same ferry and taxi as me said she would never go back. She said there were so many other nice places to see which are easier to get to. In contrast, a nice couple from the Boston area were on our flight and ferry when we arrived. They told me on the ferry that you have to earn your trip to Virgin Gorda because that is how good and worthwhile it is. Earning your trip to Virgin Gorda means enduring the 90 minute ferry ride over to Virgin Gorda from Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas.

Our trip started with a 6 degree farenheit temperature leaving Boston's Logan Airport on January 30th. It was so cold, the valve on one of the engine's was frozen. A heater had to be brought out to the tarmac to thaw the valve on the engine. After a 55 minute delay we were off the ground at 8:25 am. We were planning on catching the 3:30 pm ferry from St. Thomas, so we were lucky the engine started and we didn't have to wait for another plane to come.

We made our ferry with plenty of time to spare. After the 90 minute ferry ride, we quickly went through BVI's customs and we were quickly on our way to our hotel, which was 5 minutes from the ferry pier. We were headed to Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel.

Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel is a family run hotel that must have been really nice 30 years ago, but for the price we were paying to stay on an expensive island, we could endure a few minor inconveniences. Our rooms were basic, we had a shower, but no bath tub, no phones, a 13 inch TV, and a toilet that needed the chain reattached after each flush. On our last morning, our water went out for a couple of hours. My husband was hosed down by my sister for his morning shower and he shaved outside using a hose. It was quite a sight to see, and one of the funniest things I have seen in my life. I am so glad I have this on video, as I haven't stopped laughing yet. Fortunately, the water came on and I took a nice hot shower before leaving.

You would think I would give the hotel low marks after all of this, but in all honesty, I loved it. It is true Caribbean. I am use to staying in the five star mega all inclusive resorts in Mexico, which I love too, but Fischer's Cove Hotel had true caribbean charm and character. It has a warm friendly family that run the hotel. It had a restaurant with a million dollar view. It had a beach that was in need of new lounge chairs and new palapas, but it also had great swimming and fabulous snorkeling.

The hotel was located in Spanish Town, also known as the Valley, which is the heart of the island. We were in walking distance to the Baths (a national park with rocks and grotto's that you can walk through), the Yacht Harbor, and many stores and restaurants. We were also close to some other beautiful bays and beaches. Virgin Gorda does not have casino's or golf. It also doesn't have a hospital either, which is a little scarry.

When I go on vacation, a good beach is the most important factor for me. I don't spend a lot of time in my room while on vacation. The beach at Fischer's Cove had everything I needed. The water temperature was in the low to mid 80's (F). The air temperature was about the same. This made for good snorkeling, swimming, and sun bathing. A few members of my group spent several hours a day in the water. We saw beautiful fish and some big ones too. I swam with Tarpin. They were probably babies. They averaged 2.5 - 3 feet in length.

February is the dry season, however; we did experience some brief rain showers, and of course our first rain shower had to hit us while we were en route to the hotel on the ferry. We were literally prisoners on the top deck of the ferry with the rain coming at us. We couldn't move because the ferry was moving fast and we couldn't stand up to go down below for cover. The ferry was a little rough leaving St. Thomas, but it smoothed out once we left the rough side of the island. The ferry wasn't very large and our boat seemed to be a bit on the older side. We called the ferry the tub. More on that later.

We had a good week at Fischer's Cove. We were a group of 8 and because we had a large group everybody had the opportunity to do what they wanted to do. Our group split up and did their own thing. Some of us stayed around the hotel and snorkeled every day, and others climbed Gorda Peak, or went to explore the beautiful bays and beaches. You could either relax or be adventurous and be on the move every day, your choice.

Our hotel offered a meal plan which included a full breakfast and dinner for $40 a day. This was a real bargain compared to the prices of other restaurants. Service varied at the hotel restaurant, but overall the food was pretty good and the service was good. It is a small hotel which had a combination of cottages and hotel rooms. If you wanted to, you could really do a low budget trip and cook food in your cottage, as many people staying at Fischer's Cove did. The hotel only had 6 rooms with air conditioning and we opted for these rooms. They came with a mini refrigerator. We had snacks and drinks in the room which we brought with us.

We had a little bit of a scare leaving the island. We boarded the 8:30 am ferry operated by Speedy's Ferry Servcice. The government in BVI make you stop in Tortola to pay a departure tax. You have to get off the ferry in Tortola, pay the tax and get back on the same ferry you arrived on. This is really stupid and a complete inconvenience. Paying the tax on the ferry would be the easiest thing to do and it use to be that way, however; the government must not have been getting all their money, so they mandated the ferry stop in Tortola.

All would have been fine after paying our departure tax, however; our tub (ferry) lost one engine en route to Charlotte Amalie. Again, we were on a tight time table. We needed to get to the airport in St. Thomas for a 1:10 pm flight back to Boston. Our little tub (ferry) was now traveling so slow we wondered if we would make it. I was thinking we would miss our flight and get stuck in St. Thomas for another night. The Speedy's Ferry crew were excellent in handling our dilema. They slowly cruised across the caribbean sea and rerouted us to St. John. We cleared customs in St. John. Speedy's radioed ahead to St. John's and they did have another ferry company lined up to take us to Red Hook in St. Thomas. Although we weren't crazy about our ferry and we were right about the tub, as it did break down, the crew on Speedy's did a fabulous job logistically doing their best to streamline and resolve the dilema we were facing. True to their name, they moved with speed in getting us off and onto an alternate ferry and swiftly brought us to Red Hook in St. Thomas. Once in Red Hook there were taxi's lined up to take us to the airport. All in all it worked out, but not knowing if we would make it in time for our flight caused stress on us.

I am grateful for the opportunity to have gone with family and friends to experience nature's little secret, a tropical paradise. I am also grateful we arrived home safely, not without incident, but without any injuries or sickness.

One last item, I want to give special mention to Noel, Wayne, Bianka, Esther, Huggins, and all the staff at Fischer's Cove for making our week very special. Thank you.

Best Tropical Regards,

Boston Tia

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Been to Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!