“Perfect: Beach, Diving, Snorkeling, Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Virgin Gorda
Austin, TX
“Perfect: Beach, Diving, Snorkeling, Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just got back from my honeymoon. We went to St John for 3 nights and then took a ferry to Virgin Gorda, where we stayed at Little Dix Bay (LDB) for 6 nights. It was absolutely amazing! We stayed in a Tree house cottage, which was steps from the beach and had a great deck where we would have coffee in the morning. We loved the location of the tree house cottage, but honestly all of the rooms are great. We toured the property and looked at most. We like the rooms on the right hand side of the property if facing out at the water. Rooms 1-80 b/c they are closest to the beach. A Dive BVI shop is located right next to the beach bar, which is convenient, b/c the dive boat comes to pick you up right at the LDB dock. We went diving on two days in the morning for 2 tank dives (one day at the Rhone and one day at the Dogs). Both dives were great and the dive masters were awesome and very helpful and friendly. They do everything for you, which is nice when you're on vacation. The beach bar is perfect for a relaxing lunch after a fun morning activity, such as diving or hiking. We also ate at the Pavilion bar for lunch a couple times which is also nice and a great view as well. Breakfast at the Pavilion is great...get a smoothie! Food is expensive, but its expensive everywhere on the island and we enjoyed all of meals. Do a sunset cruise. It takes you to see the other parts of the island by boat, which was a blast b/c you can check out Bitter End Yacht Club and Saba Rock (cocktails and appetizers are included). We also took at island tour with Andy Flax on the first day, which was awesome b/c it takes you slowly around the mountain and up steep hills so you get a great view of the island. We stopped several times, once for a beer and I would recommend stopping for a drink at Hog Heaven, as it has the most amazing view of any bar I have ever been to. We also did a hike one day to Savannah bay. There is a trail that starts on the grounds of LIttle Dix Bay. It was a beautiful beach and very scenic hike. We had massages one day, which were AMAZING! I had Candice and my husband had Suiti. We both loved them and I was so relaxed I fell asleep twice. We took a hike up Cow Hill, which starts right near the spa before our massages (definitely do this, its a great view). Take a shower in the outdoor spa after your treatment and be sure to give yourself time to relax in the infinity pool for ultimate relaxation. Book a beach drop for sure b/c the set you up with an umbrella and pick you up at the time of your choice. Go to Devils Bay, but go early so you can snorkel around the baths before it gets crowded. We went to Coco Maya restaurant, just a short taxi from the resort for dinner twice. It has great sushi rolls and other fun tapas items. We also went to the Rock Cafe (also a short taxi from the resort) and has amazing lobster. If you don't want to leave, don't worry, you don't have to. The scenery, beach, food and amenities of Little Dix Bay supply all that you need for an amazing Caribbean vacation. We are already trying to plan out our trip to go again next year.

Room Tip: We like the rooms 1-80, as they are closer to the beach. Tree house cottage 10 was perfect for our h...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

687 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Middletown, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Not easy to get to, but worth every stop & delay along the way. Once we arrived, it was pure relaxation. Everything about our over-sized room was impressive...from the incredibly comfortable king-size bed (which was beautifully decorated with the local flower when we arrived), to the roomy bathroom/shower area, to the views from our back patio (which was only steps to our "private" beach). We didn't notice there were no TVs for a day & a half. A GREAT place to unplug & unwind...there were so many natural beauties to see that we didn't care about electronics. We had a short stay & had some group plans, so we didn't get to experience all the resort had to offer, but there were plenty of land & sea activities to choose from on a daily basis. One boat excursion they offer is to "the baths"...known for it's uniquely beautiful snorkeling & hiking areas...A MUST SEE! Back at the resort, there are tennis courts, hiking trails & a nice work-out room with a wall of windows. When you need to refuel, there are three restaurants to choose from...all delicious! All of the workers were incredibly friendly & happy to help at anytime.We were on an all-inclusive package (which I recommend at places like this), but you could choose other packages that fit your needs & budget. HAPPY TRAVELS!

Woodstock, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Just back from a four night stay at LDB after our first five nights in a villa above Leverick. As others, I'll break into pros/cons.

Pros:
We had the Treehouse Cottage #6. Steps from the water, very quiet, very nice view of the water and the grounds behind.

The bay is very calm perfect for swimming, snorkeling, or just standing in with a rum & coke in hand!

Overall the staff was genuinely friendly and helpful.

Room was nicely appointed, housekeeping very good quick in/out in the morning once we put the service card on the door.

Saw a ray, small shark, & a turtle just while standing in waist deep water!

Comp bottle of rum, four cokes, and water, in fridge.

Just scant minutes away from some very good restaurants in Spanishtown were we went for the other three nights dinner. Especially Chez Bamboo!

Buck's is very close as well for the all important re-stock of Cruzan and diet!

TWO minutes from the ferry dock to catch the 8:30AM Speedy's direct to CA.

Cons:
Went to the Asian Night theme buffet at $70/pp. Best items where the sushi. Everything else was simply average at best. Huge dissappointment was the grill where they "cooked you fish, chicken, or ribs to order. Unfortunately all were pre-cooked and this was simply done to heat it up.

The table server (even though this was a buffett) absolutely rushed us through dinner by continually coming up to us and asking to remove plates. The pavillion wasn't close to full! The final check came to a bit over $230 which is very expensive for the quality of what you receive.

Had reservations at the Sugar Mill until I found out that the menu was exactly the same every night.

A family with five screaming kids on the beach who cared not at all that there were others around who were trying to read, talk, or simply enjoy the water and view. I know this isn't any fault of LDB BUT something to be aware of. Actually surprising at the number of small kids on property.

On our last day my wife mentioned to the housekeeper that it was our last day. The maid actually had the balls to tell my wife that she "could leave her tip under the soap dish in the bathroom. Otherwise I won't get it."

Fortunately the four nights were a gift as we would not spend that kind of $$$ to stay there.

Highland, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My family has been going to Little Dix Bay resort for more than three years now. We have had friends and family come with us on several occasions. In fact, we have spent no less than 30 days a year at the resort. In the past, the resort manager and the general manager have been exceptional; We have made close friendships with the staff as well. This past week, we decided to stay off resort, for a visit to the island, in a villa large enough to accommodate our friends. We were scheduled to go on a dive trip that left the Little Dix Bay Resort dock at 2:45. So, we decided to have lunch at the Beach Grill before the boat arrived. When we got there we were actually "refused" seating (there were 8 of us: two tables at the most) because we were not guests of the resort. We were appalled! They directed us to the main dining area where we were again told that we were not guests. Each location was no more than 1/3 full and we arrived well past the lunch rush. When we contacted the "new" resort manager he said "the guests have priority". I agree with him when the facilities are full, but in this case where they were not! It is ashamed that the resort does not recognize repeat customers. It just goes to show that all customer service stands by the edict "What have you done for me lately". BTW, we stayed at the resort two weeks prior, so it had not been long since we had stayed there. The "new" resort manager needs a lesson in how important customer loyalty is. Our guests, said that they would never go there again. We completely agree! This is not the kind of service a 4 or 5 star resort provides.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Following what was HUGELY disappointing visit in March to its former sister property ( and fellow Rosewood resort) Caneel Bay on St. John, we were really looking forward to a proper luxury vacation in the Virgin Islands. Having been a guest since age 8 when I first went to LDB with my parents, I have many, many years and visits for perspective. This year was our best in years. The food was wonderful, the service staff really on their game and we always felt as if they genuinely cared about our enjoyment. EVERYONE was simply superb. Laurence Rockefeller would be very proud. You are maintaining a proud tradition and remain, IMHO, the standard among beach resorts. Bravo! Already looking forward to next year!!!

Room Tip: Premium Ocean View rooms # 57-60 are right on the quietest and softest part of the beach and are the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

In attempting to be fair I a, breaking up my reviews into positives and negatives and will let the reader decide what is important to them. To give you context with what I am comparing this resort to, my husband and I are both fairly young and have traveled all over the world - Europe, Africa, Asia, South America - you name it and have stayed in many similarly priced hotels as Little Dix.

Pros
-Location of actual resort is beautiful - the bay is great to swim in, snorkel in etc
-beach service is ok - there were several times I had to walk up to the beach grill to order some drinks but is was generally better than most
-hiking trails from the resort to neighboring bays
- grand buffet actually had an enormous amount of lobster to eat which was amazing!
- the maid service and generally anyone who came to our room was wonderful

Cons
-while the staff was usually nice enough but specifically the waiters in the restaurants could not seem to be bothered by my attempts to flag them down to request more coffee. They on average had personalities of a rock and while my husband reminded me that this was probably an island thing I reminded him that we had been to some other islands and had not experienced this.
- on the first night we went to the sugar mill restaurant at the resort - our server informed us that the mahi mahi was local, frozen fresh! We were confused but yes the $40 fish was frozen. The dishes were actually quite bad and we did not return. I don't mind spending over $250 for a dinner for two but I do mind when it doesn't taste good.
- so the food is obviously expensive but the beach grille and pavilion restaurants are ok - beware of in room dining - they claim to not charge extra for this but they build in the fee into the price. A pepperoni pizza at the grille cost $18. For in room dining they only had a pepperoni pizza with param ham for $26. When we received the pizza it was smaller than the first and had less pepperoni and about 2 small slivers of Parma ham. I called to complain and the supervisor was very accommodating saying he would refund us. This was about to go into the "pro" section until a woman called me back telling me the cost is because of the Parma ham. I didn't want to argue but I still don't understand why they would make the pizza smaller?
-the rooms are small, older rooms, some cracked tiles, bathrooms are outdated. I generally felt like we were staying at summer camp sometimes as you can hear your neighbors quite clearly.
-the wifi is terrible and on a day that it rained we looked in to their DVD collection which was mainly comprised of movies from the 70s and 80s. We tried to download a movie but the wifi was so slow it only downloaded 40% in over 10 hours.
- I think if this place cost $300/night none of these things would bother me. But out of season this place cost about $2,000 for 3 nights and we spent $1600 on food for 3 days not including going out to dinner one night and breakfast one morning. And that includes approximately 6 alcoholic beverages a day between the two of us. At this price I would expect local FRESH fish - not local frozen.

When I go back and read some of these other reviews I have to wonder " did we stay in the same place as these people!?!?"

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at LDB for 10 days. Great place to unplug, relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings! Sting ray and turtles right in the LDB cove - lots of fish, too! Great room with easy beach access. The staff are all very friendly, welcoming, and helpful (everyone says "hello" and makes sure you're doing enjoying your stay)! We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and they made it special with a welcoming bottle of champagne and cold cut tray when we checked into our room after a LONG day of traveling. The Fitness Center is in great shape with eliptical, bikes, treadmills, and weights (that's where I got my TV fix as none of the rooms have tvs - although there is big screen in the Activities Room near Reception). I do agree that the food is good but not great (we are foodies, so we may be a little hard to "wow") - for the prices you pay, you'd expect great! The exceptions are the breakfast buffet (which is by far the best buffet) and the lobster was excellent on lobster night. The staff really make the place extra special, though! We ate at the Beach Grill almost everyday for lunch and the food was good and the Painkillers were strong and hit the spot! Coco Maya and Giorgio's were excellent, though and I definitely recommend going off-site for a couple meals. The weekly Manager's Reception was very nice (free appetizers and booze) and a great chance to mingle with other guests! Would definitley recommend this to our friends and family!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rosewood Little Dix Bay? Share your experiences!