“Superb B&B in the heart of France” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Joie de Vivre

Joie de Vivre
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Celle-Dunoise
Joie de Vivre
You added Joie de Vivre to your Saves list
9 L'Age | La Celle Dunoise, 23800 La Celle-Dunoise, France   |
Ringwood, Hampshire, UK
“Superb B&B in the heart of France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

This is quite simply one of the best B&Bs we have ever stayed in. Lovely location in a quiet little hamlet in a beautiful part of France. Our room was enormous with a spotlessly clean, well equipped and very warm ensuite shower room. The main room's soft furnishings of ivory and gold contrasted well with the natural stone walls and floor tiles. There were plenty of books to enjoy and a CD player with a small selection of CDs. Our evening meal, served in the comfortable lounge/dining room, was delicious and the following morning's breakfast was generous to say the least. Carolyn and Mike were perfect hosts and we feel that we arrived as guests but left as friends. Can't wait until our next visit!

• Liked — It was all perfect
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family

Kingston-upon-Thames
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

Joie de Vivre is an absolute gem set in a quiet hamlet near a peaceful village in a beautiful part of Limousin. It is lovingly run by a delightful couple, Caroline and Mike Plows. Caroline produces consistantly delicious dinners ; there is a swimming pool and a tennis court and both Mike and Caroline are very willing to help their guests with anything they would like to know about the area. Go to Joie de Vivre and experience the best B&B in France!.
J & E S, Kingston-upon-Thames.15/07/07

• Liked — friendliness,homeliness,welcming atmosphere,food
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

I stay in B&B's in Europe as opposed to hotels as I expect (hope!) to experience a more family-like ambience. And I was certainly not disappointed by Joie de Vivre! Despite arriving very late (after midnight), Carolyn and Richard stayed up to let me in and give me a very warm welcome.

And the warmth continued: In fact, I originally planned to stay 3 nights, but was so impressed with Joie de Vivre that I opted to extend my stay for another night. My room was spotless, and I didn't have to go far to use my bathroom (I was the only user -- the other rooms have en suite facilities). The sheets had to be the finest quality I've ever experienced; the decor was tasteful and gorgeous -- The color scheme in my room was violet.

The breakfasts were excellent. There were pre-dinner drinks and snacks outside with Carolyn and Mike -- For a very reasonable price, guests can request the 4-course dinner, which was absolutely splendid.

Carolyn and Mike know the area, and were able to provide me some walking maps of different fascinating hikes in the region -- the Creuse area is incredibly rich in history and unforgettable scenery -- It's such a pleasure to be hiking for 1 1/2 hours and end up in a fabulous village at the end of the road!

Carolyn and Mike have wonderful senses of humor -- I have rarely felt so relaxed with B&B hosts as I was with them. There are only about 10 houses in the hamlet of L'Age, so people tend to drop by, which is a wonderful way to get to know some of the local population.

Anyway, I would highly, highly recommend the Joie de Vivre -- I picked it randomly out of a "France B&B" website, but my next visit there will be anything but random -- It has made my "Must Return" list!

• Liked — The owners, cleanliness, quality of dinners, etc. etc
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cirencester, Gloucestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2007

During the course of house-hunting in France, over the past year, my wife and I have stayed at many B&Bs, some good, some not but without doubt Joie de Vivre sets the standard by which all other B&Bs should be judged - there was no aspect of our stay which was less than excellent. We arrived on a cold day for a two night stay and were welcomed by Carolyn into her and Mike's beautiful warm home where we enjoyed a lovely cup of tea and biscuits.

Our luxuriously appointed accommodation was on the ground floor with private access and comprised a large bedroom with a very comfortable king size bed, sofa, tea-making facilities including home made biscuits! The large bathroom was a dream and, most importantly, the whole place was spotless.

Our four-course evening meal, with wine, was another triumph (this girl can cook). Our continental breakfast, plus a boiled egg ensured that we departed on another round of house-hunting in the very best of spirits. We arrived home back that evening ready to do it all over again!

Joie de Vivre also has impressive facilities - good-sized below ground swimming pool, tennis court, mature garden with chickens wandering around and all set in an exquisite little hamlet - absolutely charming.

Carolyn and Mike are the ideal hosts and if Oscars were awarded to B&B owners they would be out and out winners.

• Liked — The Comfort
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

Our first visit to Limousin and we were made to feel very welcome in the luxury farmhouse accomodation of Joie de Vivre by our hosts Carolyn & Mike. Throughout our 4 day stay, nothing was too much trouble and our expectations were certainly exceeded.
We have travelled extensively throughout Europe and have stayed in many 5 star hotels which do not meet the standard and quality of accomodation & service which we enjoyed at Joie de Vivre whilst still maintaining the personal touch.
Without hesitation, we would thoroughly recommend Joie de Vivre.

• Liked — location, comfort & service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Joie de Vivre? Share your experiences!