“A Place in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Solon, Ohio
“A Place in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

My husband and I just returned from 3 weeks on the island of Tortola. We stayed at Fort Recovery Villas as we have for many years. This year my son, his wife and 4 year old twins came down for a few days. The twins loved playing on the Fort Recovery beach. The staff was wonderful to the twins including putting Ariel and Barney sheets on their beds. When it was time to go home the twins didn't want to leave. We promised that they could return in the near future. Next February we will return to Fort Recovery, that is for sure!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Pembroke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

My wife and I just returned from Tortola in the BVI. One of the best holidays we have ever taken. We stayed for two weeks (February 2 to 16) at Fort Recovery and loved every moment of it.
We can't say enough about the service and friendliness of management and staff. From Anita, Pamelah and Matt putting up with our questions, Lalitha, Ivett, Faubien, (we wish we could remember some of the other names) and the friends we made who were guests made it a most memorable holiday. We enjoyed the company and playing fetch with Becky, and having quiet visits with Bo, the resort dogs.
We stayed in unit 9, a two bedroom unit. We were very impressed with the comfort and artistic decoration of the condo. Bedrooms were large, private and came with ensuite bathrooms. There was also a full kitchen, and living area.
A nice touch was being given a cell phone for use during our stay on the island.
Located right on Sir Frances Drake Channel, beautiful sunsets over St. John almost every evening. We really enjoyed sitting at water's edge in the evening with the friends we made talking about our day's experiences while watching the sunset.
There is a beach and though we preferred other beaches on the island, the beach at Fort Recovery was nice and was quite good for swimming if you chose to.
The snorkeling trip offered with each seven night stay on the Fort Recovery boat was a pleasant add on. Small enough group to be comfortable, not jammed in with a crowd on a tour boat, like on other islands.
Meals at the restaurant were good, but we can't say they were the best we had on the island. We can't really complain on them, just preferred meals at other locations.
We are definitely going to go back to the BVI someday, and would not hesitate to stay at Fort Recovery again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
FortRecovery, Manager at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2011
Thanks very much for your wonderful review!

We are always happy to hear from our guests after their trips and get feedback on how they liked their stay. We are glad that you thought the cell phone was helpful to you, so many of our guests have loved this option versus just a landline in the room. Cannot begin to count the number of times folks have liked having one while out and about in the BVI, and not paying roaming fees with their regular phones! I am very pleased that you enjoyed your villa as well and thank you very much for the compliment on the decor. The owner tries to make every villa feel personable and unique and decorates them all herself. We hope you do decide to return to Tortola and that you will stay with us again, it was a pleasure having you!

-Pamelah, Matt, Anita & the rest
Fort Myers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

We stayed at one of the villas. It was absolutely lovely. Beautiful view, clean and very nicely
furnished. Pamela was very gracious and checked on us to be sure that everything was
in order. Could not have asked for a better lodging for the days before our sailing vacation.

Thanks Pamela, you were great and the villa was beautiful, making our pre-sailing days
the best.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
So glad you enjoyed your villa and really pleased that it was a perfect start to your sailing excursion. Hope you enjoyed that leg of your vacation as well!

-Pamelah
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

We stayed 8 days at Ft. Recovery and thought it was a very nice hotel. The staff was very friendly especially Evette, and Pamela. The room was great, right on the beach, extremely clean, and nice size. On hindsight we made a mistake getting the package which includes four dinners. Two dinners were nice, two were not very good. The main thing is there are so many fine restaurants on the island we shouldn't have locked ourselves in to one place that is is not really knoiwn for their fine dining. The beach is not great but the view is awesome! How can you beat being on Drakes Passage and watching boats go by all day and beautiful sunsets.
The resident pets, Bo and Becky are great. I really enjoyed playing with them, and Becky would sit at our back door and beg me to come out and play. We also really enjoyed visiting with others staying here. Several nights we would have a group on the beach watching the sun set and comparing notes on the days adventures.
This is our third trip to Tortola, and if we do another land based vacation here we will definately return to Ft. Recovery.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
FortRecovery, Manager at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Thank you for your lovely review of us!

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here! The view and sunsets on the Sir Francis Drake channel where we sit really are unbeatable (at least we think so anyway!). We're glad you enjoyed playing with our resident dogs, Becky and Bo. Becky really loves to play with our guests' and seems so sad when they go!

We are happy that you enjoyed your accommodations as well. We apologize that you didn't enjoy your meals on two of your nights dining with us. We have two chefs at the moment whose styles vary quite a bit. We will definitely let the chef know that you felt your dinners could have been better than they were, and see what happened. The feedback is greatly valued so that we can prevent things of this nature from occurring again. There are many wonderful places to dine on the island within a short distance from us, and we do hope you had the opportunity to try some of them out!

We're glad that you plan to return to Tortola and are considering staying with us again, we look forward to your return visit! Take care, and keep in touch!
New Braunfels, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

I booked our room at the TripAdvisor's"No. 1" in Road Town for the first two nights of our vacation, hoping for time to unwind before we boarded our chartered catamaran. I booked through Expedia, but paid the full price quoted on the Fort Recovery web-site for a "deluxe" one bedroom - way more than I should have. The staff and I communicated by an email titled "Late Arrival" and they offered to have a meal for us in the room when we arrived.

After we cleared customs at the airport, the Taxi driver told my husband and I that the hotel had expected our plane to arrive at 6 PM, not 10. Our dinner was not 2 chicken dinners, but one chicken and one fish -- both were sitting out on the counter (for 5+ hours??) when we arrived at the hotel just before midnight. They had arranged for my special request of the makings for a vodka tonic, although it was not on the menu and there were the requested cokes and diet cokes in the fridge. (I wish the meat had been.)

That counter and the kitchenette, the bathroom, and the bedroom were shabby, with loose pieces of wood, some peeling paint, and doors that didn't close properly.

We slept late the next morning and missed breakfast. The Spa was closed - no one was there, anyway. When we wandered over to the restaurant for lunch, the women sitting on the porch told us that it was closed. The young man in the office said that they're never open for lunch, and wouldn't be open for dinner that (Tuesday) night, either. He did call a taxi for us -- Fort Recovery is too far from any where to walk - and suggested Soper's Hole, where we enjoyed lunch at Pussers and shopped for some groceries at the store there. We took food and snacks back to the room for the evening, since we were too tired to contemplate another taxi.

It appeared to me that we were either the only ones at the hotel or one party of only two There was a TV on in the room just above and to the side of us, otherwise, all the rooms were dark.. I wonder why they'd put us in a not-so-nice room, if the place was nearly deserted?

The place is right on the beach - but we were over to the side, where there's mostly rocks. On the other side of the dock, just next door, is some sort of boat mechanic place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
FortRecovery, Owner at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
I would like our “Two Nighters” to know how sorry we are that their day spent with us was not as it should have been… I personally sent up a half bottle of Vodka and Tonics, so that you could make Vodka Tonics at your leisure and I had put extra diet cokes in the refrigerator.
I was greatly concerned about what was mentioned about the Villa having a problem and went there immediately in person. I examined the counter tops (they are all slate tiled and I found them to be in perfect condition) and looked for the loose wood that was described. I did not find any loose wood within the villa. I did find loose wood on the railing of the outside porch and sent for repair to be done right away;. Thank you for noticing that! Our bedrooms are quite large, designer furniture and still using Ralph Lauren sheets. The bathroom is also fully tiled, custom cabinets; slate-tiled counter and I did not see anything in there that needed to be repaired... However I did find a hinge that was loose on a kitchen cabinet and thank you again, we repaired it right away. I am also sorry about the rocks in front of you beach villa, but unfortunately I don’t have control of the sea swells that occur in the BVI from time to time, but within two days it was all clear again, which I was grateful for, however that didn’t help you too much. Very Sorry!
Our records indicate that there was quite a few guests on the premises at the time, but perhaps since you did miss breakfast ( we serve until 11:00AM) I am guessing most people were out exploring the island, lounging on the beach or out by the pool. I am sorry if you came under the assumption that we serve lunch, however we have never done so, and only advertise ourselves as serving breakfast and dinner…Our restaurant is normally only closed once per week at dinner time, as that is our chef’s night off, but again we had a set of rare circumstances and were not open the Tuesday that you wanted to dine with us. We are open every single day for full American breakfast and also provide a complimentary continental breakfast in addition. I can assure you that your meals were not sitting out for 5+ hours, our restaurant does not even begin to serve until 7pm, and however I do apologize! You are correct the wait-staff should have placed the meals in your fridge; I truly think there was a miscommunication between all parties concerning your arrival times and your dinner orders.
I do wish you would have let us know you were displeased with how the meals were handled or that you were unhappy in general. We would have attended to you immediately and done something to help you. When you checked out none of this was brought to our attention…
With regard to our Spa being closed, we do not close at all; we are open every day for appointments. All appointments are made at the front desk area, so perhaps you had expected to see folks making appointments in the Spa building itself. We provide all of our Spa treatments and hair salon services based on the customer’s schedule and needs. If you had been interested you could have booked with us at any time during your stay at the front desk area. We do have a sign posted at the front desk and several others areas around the property, with a full list of services and letting customers know they may book with us at the front desk at any time…
Next door to our property is a private residence; there is no “boat mechanic” area setup there. However they do own a personal leisure boat so maybe this caused some confusion for you…
You have been quite helpful and I thank you for drawing my attention to a few of the minor issues you encountered with your accommodations. Admittedly, sometimes we do miss a detail, especially when we have back to back check-ins, as was the case in this event. We always appreciate our guests input and we take all criticism and concerns seriously. We do however continue to keep up with our reputation spanning 41+ years, of having a well-known place in the BVI that folks do continue to return time and again…

Again, we are so sorry you did not fully enjoy your stay. We only wish you had let us know so that we could have done something for you immediately and attended to your issues. I would love to discuss your experience here with us and would like to rectify the situation for you, we never want our guests going away unhappy. You can contact us at any time at 1 (800) 367-8455 or 1 (284) 541-0955.
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Very friendly place and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Our particular villa had been fairly newly decorated. It was a quiet spot to spend a couple of days - but we were out of season. Further away from Road Town than I'd imagined. I feel that we could have been given proper fresh milk and china plates etc. for use at breakfast - we felt we were having a picnic but apart from that there is nothing negative to say.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
FortRecovery, Manager at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
Hello there,

Thank you for your lovely review! We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a pleasant experience with our staff, we truly do aim to keep our guests' happy!

Thank you also for your suggestion about the China plates for our complimentary Continental breakfast, we will absolutely take this into consideration. We hope you had the opportunity to enjoy one of our full American breakfasts during your stay which we do utilize our proper china plates! Fresh milk unfortunately is a bit difficult to obtain in the islands as it is all imported. I can assure you it was fresh in the sense that it was not expired, our staff is really very careful about checking that. We do of course wish we could purchase fresh or even organic milk for our guests someday, but at the time it's not readily available in the BVI...

Our hotel proximity to Road Town is approximately 15 minutes driving, on a straight coastal road (no hill driving). Many folks find this to be an excellent location as it's almost a straight shot to anywhere on the island (which is very small, only 21 sq. miles). We are sorry that you did not find it to be a convenient distance from town. We consider ourselves a quiet, secluded area, but not too far from most places on the island...

Thank you again for your lovely review and we hope to see you again in the future!
Middletown, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Excellent service, Pahmela made me feel very welcome, her warm greeting included a prepaid island cell phone, the offer of a jeep and invitation to join the next days snorkle trip to Norman Island Caves and the Indians dive sites. I Loved the room it was spacious and very clean ( and I am a major germaphobe!) full kitchen, living room and bedroom a balcony and beautiful sunset view across Francis Drake Channel to St John. Location is right on the beach, facing west, a nice sandy beach with lounge chairs & they provide beach towels. In the AM there is free coffee, juice and toast and you have the option if you want a full breakfast. The dinner menu is posted daily, you can eat at anytime but your order must be in by 6PM and they begin serving dinner at 7PM. You can eat inside or outside. I traveled alone and met family staying elsewhere on the island. I felt safe and welcome and my accomodations were the best! I highly recommend Fort Recovery--its a good place to recover!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!