“Extremely Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Road Town
Amarillo, Texas
“Extremely Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We visited Fort Recovery July 19-24, 2014. I'm appalled in the way they treat their guests. We booked this resort over others b/c of the excellent customer service reviews but unfortunately we did not experience this. I could write a mile long review complaining about everything we experienced but I will keep it to biggest issues we had. A few hours after checking out/departing from the hotel/island we received a phone call from the front desk claiming we had done 2 things: left without properly checking out and not paying our final bill (dinner we had one night for $135) & that we stole a used bed pillow from our room. I informed them that we did check out and I had the receipt to prove that we had paid our final bill and that there was no way nor reason as to why I would steal a used bed pillow from them. I was completely in shock and highly offended at these accusations. We also had an issue with house keeping the morning we were leaving. Check out was at 11 so we had a taxi sched to pick us up at 11 and we were relaxing in our room for the last few mins we had. At about 10:25 a.m. a lady from house keeping came in and said we needed to leave bc she needed to clean the room bc other people would be checking in that evening. I told her would be leaving shortly and she just mumbled something to me under her breath. We also witnessed the lady at reception chew out another employee bc he "wasted" a piece a paper. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this resort to my worst enemy based on the our stay. My advice would be to stay on Long Bay area!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
FortRecovery, Owner at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
I cannot begin to tell you how sorry and appalled I am for the treatment you received at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villas and Suites hotel on Tortola, British Virgin Islands. In view of the fact that I am the owner, I take full responsibility for the recent hiring of a part time employee at Front Desk with such “bad taste.” That was my bad judgment call.
I would never have known of this incident happening if I didn’t read it in Trip Advisor. Rest assured, you did the right thing, because the very point of telling the whole world about your dreadful experience is the very thing that makes us successful. It keeps us striving to be better in every way, and Trip Advisor is one of our most important tools. How did this happen?
I hired a part-time worker, who probably wanted to impress management, became overzealous and thought they were being superefficient. Obviously, they had no awareness that the hotel business is a service business and to please the customer is our goal. Yes, my mistake. I took it further and found out yes, you paid your bill that was presented to you in full. The restaurant brought in a check for an extra order of Key Lime Pie after you departed for $6.00. It wasn’t more than 5 minutes later that one of our housekeeping employees brought in a pillow and said the second pillow was not anywhere in the unit. Now the only objection I had which doesn’t compare to your rightful anger towards us is that the pillow you’re referring to was not a used bed pillow, but two throw pillows from a prominent East Indian designer collection. I had never believed you stole anything. Do you really believe that I would jeopardize our good standing with Trip Advisor and purposely call you on the telephone for $6.00 and for a misplaced pillow that can be anywhere?
However harmful this review may be to us you were definitely justified in reporting these incidents to us. It was also helpful to know our employee’s priorities were questionable, but I am really sorry about the fact that you were the recipient of this dreadful experience. I may add that my judgment left a lot to be desired and we did correct the fact that the employee has been removed from the Front Desk and is happy enough in housekeeping with our laundry.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We arrive in June, we were lucky with the weather.
The reception was very welcomy ,it was the 2nd time i went to Tortola and first time it was to Long Bay Beach and the people were not welcomy so we decide to change for the 2 nd time it was paradise, everything was perfect , when you enter to ths hotel it is like your home , it was very important for us to be quiet too, we have no noise.
Every day the cleaning is perfect. This hotel has a lot of advantages at first : the view is so fantastic, all the beautiful animals you can see : browns pelicans ,seagulls ..... and you have all these beautifuls flowers too.... You have the foot fast in the sea, what 's a pleasure for us to have breakfast in the terrace,you have everything you need in the kitchen so you can cook when you want ..... If you need some informations about food or anything else you have a good receptionnist : Pamela , she was very kind with us and it is a pleasure to talk about all the beautifuls things you can do and eat in Tortola ,we have good memories with her, it is important when you arrive ,you can trust her. I can't forget Anita, a beautiful woman who was so important for us too , for her the owner of this hotel is that their customers have good holidays , every day we see her and it was a real pleasure to see her smile and to talk about Tortola , this is the best hotel for sure we come back as soon it will be possible, 16 days was a dream everyone in this hotel was nice .Thanks for everything we never forget these holidays see you soon and take care.

Room Tip: The best rooms are in front of the sea but all are beautiful
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

just got back from my vacation, i've got nothing but great things to say about our stay at Fort Recovery. All of the staff members have been nothing but kind to us. Ann, Mia, Pam and of course Rita were all so helpful. Whenever we ran into any problems, they went above and beyond to help us so that we could enjoy our trip to the fullest.

I'm glad i picked a hotel far away from the bustling and hustling from road town. soper's hole is a short 5 min drive with beautiful sunset, a bit far from the airport but totally worth it for the peace and serenity.

We stayed here twice during this trip in room 2 and 5 on the top floor. both were very clean with great beachfront views. i sincerely enjoyed meeting all the staff members and will definitely miss them.

my only real recommendation is if they would make the hotel sign a little bigger, it would be much easier to find esp late night lol

don't forget us Rita !!!! i will be contacting you in the near future

xoxo Stacy & Christy june-july 2014

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Fort Recovery offers well maintained grounds and well appointed villas. This was our second stay and each time the top notch staff made our visit a true pleasure. Rita and Pamela were so helpful with their advice regarding: where to dine; shop and swim. The peaceful atmosphere and immaculate semi-shaded pool were well-appreciated after swimming in the clear water on the sandy beach. We enjoyed the wonderful water views and Caribbean breezes from our porch. There were an amazing amount of different flowering bushes and towering coconut trees of many varieties. Our villa was air-conditioned and we had total privacy; yet could socilaize if we wanted. We are ready to make plans for our next stay. Thank you Fort Recovery!

Walter and Mary Ann

Room Tip: all villas are nice
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed at a 3-bedroom unit right at beach level and it was Fantastic--large, super clean, with party of 6, and a 2-bedroom unit nearby for party of 4. Meals at hotel were great; pool was great; as were the friendly staff. All in all, our group of 10 had a great stay at Fort Recovery.

Room Tip: Stayed at lower level 3-bedroom, ocean front. We could hear the water lapping from front bedroom and...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed here at the recommendation of a good friend who lives in Tortola. We had a villa (#11) that was just perfect for what we wanted. It was clean and well appointed with everything we needed, the kitchen had a refrigerator, stove, microwave and dishwasher. The view of St. John and the Sir Francis Drake Channel were great and our own little private beach right in front of the villa was an added bonus. One really nice thing is we are AT&T cell users, Tortola is all roaming EXCEPT at our room where we had 5 bars from the tower across the channel on St. John. Rita was very accommodating and made the stay carefree! There is a car rental which is less than a 5 minute walk away. West End is for me, Roadtown can be too hectic,

Room Tip: Just talk to Rita, she will probably answer the phone. Villa 11 is just right for me!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We stayed at Fort Recovery prior to heading out on a week of cruising. It was the perfect way to start our vacation. The staff was incredibly welcoming and rooms were large and comfortable. They cooked up a terrific meal for our large party. The location was great away from the bustle of Road Town, but easy access. And what a view. The stay was made even better by a yoga class on the docks before we headed to the Marina. We'll be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!