“Loved This Place and Staff” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Towers | West End, Road Town VG-1110, Tortola   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Road Town
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Somerset, New Jersey
“Loved This Place and Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We did a book-end stay at Fort Recovery between our 7 day sailing trip and was very satisfied. The rooms are wonderful - great size, clean and a beautiful deck. Private beach was great. Staff extremely friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was wonderful. Great location between both Road Town and West End. Would definitely stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Yountville, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from 8 days at Fort Recovery, and had a marvelous time. I had read other reviews on Trip Adviser and was impressed that the staff tried to make everyone's stay as pleasant as possible. We had booked a suite on the first floor which we found uninspiring. When my husband mentioned it to Anita and Rita at the front desk we were immediately upgraded to un upstairs superior suite at no additional cost. The rooms consisted of a large king sized bedroom, nice bathroom and large kitchen living room with everything one could want. The balcony and chairs over the Caribbean Sea was a great place to catch the evening sunsets.
My husband arrived with an eye infection for which he had meds but which was not improving. One word to Rita, and she fixed us up with her eye doctor in Road Town who gave a thorough examination and proper meds. This visit saved our trip.
Ask the office staff for advice on which tour to take to Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke as they steered us right.
While never before having been to Tortola, we chose Fort Recovery on the Caribbean side for its proximity to bars, restaurants and convenience stores. Also, driving is much more manageable on this side. Take a day trip to the Atlantic side for some wonderful swimming and a few nice meals, but we came to explore, not to sit.
We are planning a return trip as the location is ideal, the atmosphere very peaceful and friendly, and the staff does everything to make your stay a happy one.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and two other couples stayed here before and after a sailing trip. We stayed in the three bedroom suite. All rooms had comfortable king size beds, each with their own spacious full bathroom. The suite was tastefully decorated, clean, and everything was perfect. The beds were really comfortable. Rita greeted us upon our arrival. She was very helpful and had a great sense of humor.

The little beach was perfect. My only criticism would be they need more lounge chairs. They were in disrepair although we were able to piece together six of them.

We ordered dinner and had it delivered to our suite. It was spicy but delicious.
We all agreed, this is a great find and will most definitely recommend and return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We have returned to Fort Recovery every Winter/Spring for 2-3 weeks for several years now. We always stay in a ground floor standard corner suite which has close beach access and great views. The staff has always been very helpful and fulfills our yearly eclectic special requests for various kitchen devices, maid services, extra linens and chairs etc. We love our suite, it has great views of Saint John and the sunset over the St. Francis Drake Channel and a nice patio and grassy area with beach chair (I believe they were repairing all chairs last week). The beach is right in front of us too, with a swimming area and a dock off to the right. The bedroom does have a louvered window but that is nice if you want a breeze. It is a little open to outside noises which are only occasionally a problem, but the breeze is worth it. It would be helpful, I think, if the renters were given information at check in about the openness of the rooms and how noise affects the residents. That would go far to solve the occasional problem and you can always shut the louvers and turn on the air conditioner on those few occasions when the noise is unacceptable. We don't mind the low light when the louvers are closed as we only use the bedroom to rest so low light is nice then.

We aren't night folks anymore so we usually watch t.v. with purchased or subscription t.v. or movies at night. The resort has internet so we can get netflix and itunes, newspapers, etc. We usually move the t.v. in the unit so that we can swivel it or just move it a foot and watch it from either the living room or bedroom since there is a cable outlet in the bedroom. We used to take some of the weekly boat trips, which are fun, and may again. We have a little trouble moving these days and the staff is very accommodating about our age related limitations so the boat has previously dropped us off for a long lunch while the rest of the group goes snorkeling.

The location of the resort is ideal since you can drive to town and to Soper's Hole without going up any curvy mountain roads. Soper's Hole (5" drive) has a small grocery store and now two restaurants, a coffee cafe and some shops and is a nice place to hang out in the afternoon on the water. There is also a nice restaurant on the other side of the peninsula at Frenchman's Cay. The largest grocery store is on the other side of Road Town from West End but is a pleasant, flat drive to get there. I think most of the villa rentals on Tortola are up in the mountains and involve kind of harrowing drives on sometimes unpaved roads so we like to be on the main drag.

Another nice feature of Fort Recovery is that you can plan your visit to arrive and leave on any day of the week so you don't have to fit in a Friday to Saturday stay and can be flexible about your time. We don't normally use the pool so the location of it isn't important to us. There is a new chef in the restaurant this year and the food has improved significantly. The location is not right on the water but they are open 6 days a week which is very convenient if you don't feel like leaving the property some days. They serve breakfast and dinner. It is true they don't have a bar but if you just rustle up someone on the staff whenever you want a drink, they will be happy to make one for you and you can just sit on the porch or in the inside of the restaurant and socialize or take it to the beach or home.

Overall, Fort Recovery is the best choice for us in the Caribbean. We have been all over the BVI in boats and in Virgin Gorda and Tortola on shore. We like the BVI because it is virtually crime free. We like Tortola because it has more to offer in restaurants/ entertainment than Virgin Gorda and we like Fort Recovery because of its location and staff. We stay in one of the older units as it has a full kitchen and a ground level patio. It is true that some of the villas aren't quite as new and shiny (some of the villas are new) as some other high end resorts but that is part of its charm to us, and the villas are all maintained very well. It is also true that Fort Recovery isn't crowded, loud, unfriendly or stuffy and is located in a very beautiful spot.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Montauk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

When we first arrived at Fort Recovery everyone was silent... then my 11 year old daughter started to cry - not from happiness, mind you... from disappointment.
We paid aprox. $8,000 for 10 days stay in a luxury three bedroom ocean front villa. You may be thinking about now - why would anyone in their right mind pay that much ?
The answer is because I am traveling with my husband, my two young children, and my 83 year old mother. We needed three bedrooms, we needed a kitchen, and we really wanted to be near the water. I figured this way we could swim and snorkel right out behind our villa, when we want, and my mother would be close by.
Rita showed us around our Villa - which was upstairs - it was far from impressing. two of the three bedrooms have no real windows, so they are always dark. They have a window that is covered in heavy shutters, and if you close them to turn on the air conditioning - you're in darkness, in the middle of the day. None of the bedrooms have television. There is a small television in the living room - but the walls are so thin, and all the doors louvered, that if you run the television at night, everyone can hear it. I have two young children, this became a problem when they went to bed.
The master bedroom was nice, with a beautiful view. One thing that was strange with the master bedroom was that it had a tiny bathroom. The other two "dark" bedrooms had much bigger bathrooms.
The beach is tiny. It is true, as one reviewer said, that all the lounge chairs are broken. Seriously? With the amount of money that they charge here?
My daughters did have fun snorkeling off of that beach because it was private (we were the only ones) and small. It was a good first time place. That gets old after one day though. The pool is very small, and totally in the shade between two bldgs. My daughters absolutely love swimming in pools, and they had no desire at all to go into this one. The "restaurant" is really just like someone's kitchen. Small, dark, and uninviting. If you eat outside you have a view of the parking lot, and the ugly pool. I'd much rather sit on my own deck and eat a bowl of cereal. At least there I have a view.
The "spa" is one or two chairs inside a tiny dark bldg., off the parking lot (so to speak) I didn't even bother. A major draw for me to come here was because they said they have yoga. Well, they did have yoga. They offered it twice during my 10 day stay. I was only able to go once. It was out on the fishing pier - which was lovely. It was taught by the woman who works at the reception (sorry, I forgot her name) She was very, very nice. And did a very nice job with the pilates/yoga session. Anyway, my point is - you wont be doing much yoga here.
We had a three bedroom villa on the ocean - upstairs. I made a point to ask Rita if the stairs were steep, and if they would be okay for an 83 year old?
We weren't there one hour, when we were leaving to find something to eat. (you can't get anything to eat at or near this place in the afternoon because the kitchen is closed) ... and there is no bar. My husband and my mother head down the cement staircase, my mother loses her balance - goes to grab the handrail, and there is none. Down she goes, onto her head, down the staircase. She had to spend two nights in the worst hospital I have ever seen in my life. She didn't brake anything, which is amazing at 83 - but she was terribly bruised and sprained. When she got out of the hospital, she spent the rest of the trip stuck in our villa recuperating. Rita found me someone to stay with my mother during the day while we went out snorkeling or sightseeing for a while each day. They were all very concerned about my mother, and very helpful.
That being said, they didn't offer her anything. Not a piece of pie. Nothing. We paid $8,000.! How about a free night? A free dinner? How about just not charging her an extra fee to deliver her dinner?... Something? They did let us take a ground level villa, so there would be no more stairs...
I will end with pros so I can end on a good note.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The view from my room was beautiful.
Fun first time snorkeling.

Stay someplace else.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We just returned from a wonderful 9-day stay at Ft Recovery and once again left very happy and looking forward to our next visit. We have been staying at Ft Recovery for 5 years now, several times per year, and one of the main reasons is the "home away from home" feeling we get there every time. We have developed warm relationships with the entire staff over the years, as well as many of the other regular guests, several whom we stay in touch with between visits. What a pleasure to return this month!

We spent 4 nights in the Big House, which is a fabulous large home right on the beach with a great open floor plan, a huge covered porch and to-die-for views, especially at sunset. The 1st floor master bedroom shares these lovely front views to the ocean and is incredibly spacious. The kitchen is very nicely outfitted with everything you'd need, from placemats to ice buckets to wine openers and dinner party serveware. We loved it - especially curling up in the sofas on the outdoor porch. Mid-visit, we relocated to two suites - one a superior room on the 1st floor (#13) and one slightly smaller room on the 2nd floor (#6) - since the Big House had been rented by another group for the rest of the week. Our teenage kids loved their treetop view and privacy while we enjoyed our usual beachside room directly overlooking the ocean.

We have stayed all over the BVI and after many other experiences, including Little Dix Bay, Leverick Bay and private rented villas in the mountains, we continue to return to Ft Recovery. The location is awesome. We love the location on the West End, close to Sopers Hole, Smugglers Cove and Cane Garden Bay, but still on the flat road, meaning less crazy driving on the mountain roads (our daughter and I are big car-sick people - we bring ginger candies, which really help!). We love having a kitchen where we can buy some simple groceries and do cereal in the mornings and some wine and cheese in the afternoons, but still allowing us to spontaneously choose to get a hot breakfast at the restaurant. We love walking over at 7:15 for our 1st cup of coffee and chatting with the ladies in the kitchen or in the office. We love joining Pamela for her combination yoga/pilates classes out on the pier - especially gorgeous at sunset! We love all of the wonderful guests we've met, during breakfast on the restaurant porch, out on the beach, at the office, during yoga class, on the snorkeling trips... everywhere! It's a friendly crowd... or the ones who are friendly tend to be the ones who like it here. This is a relationships type of place. From Anita the owner, to Pamela, Rita and Mia in the office, to Yvette in the restaurant (and AWESOME deep tissue massages!!!), to Ann who you can turn to for anything, we feel cared for in every way. Just take the time to get to know them, say hello, and you'll join a big family of Ft Recovery guests who have learned about this wonderful place and who come back year after year. I would highly recommend it. We can't wait for our next trip!

Room Tip: Superior rooms #11-16 on the 1st floor are very nice, quiet, and have awesome unobstructed views. Th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We just returned from our third visit to beautiful Tortola. The first two visits we stayed at the Sugar Mill Hotel-which is lovely. This time we thought we should try some place different and we still wanted to be on the West End of the island so we booked a seven night stay at Ft Recovery.

The hotel is right off the main road into Road Town, but noise wasn't a problem due to the sound of the ocean's waves right outside our room. Our room, #16, was very large, comfortable, clean, bright and nicely decorated. The large living room had a ceiling fan and a wall of windows with a screen door out onto the large deck right next to the ocean-literally! Our view across the bay to the island St. John, USVI was magnificent and the nightly sunsets were gorgeous. There was a long tiled counter area in the kitchen nook to sit and eat, a small sink, a small refrigerator, a toaster, Mr. Coffee (bring your own coffee and filters), a blender, ice bucket, some dishes, glasses, cups and silverware. There is a TV that got quite a few channels and many used paperback books on the shelf to choose from. The bedroom had a large dresser, a big closet with plenty of hangers, two end tables and a comfortable king size bed. The large bathroom was tiled, clean, and had a spacious counter and drawers for storage. The walk-in shower was very large and had ample water pressure and good temp. The bedroom had the A/C unit which worked fine.

Our seven night stay included a 3 hour boat trip over to Norman Island for lunch at “The Bight”(lunch $$ not included) with two stops to snorkel-first at the Caves and then at the Indians near Norman Island. It was a fun day. That evening, also included was a complimentary dinner for us at the hotel's restaurant with a themed island/Caribbean menu. It was good. The dinner menu is displayed in the lobby area each morning and they like to be notified no later than 5pm if you'll be joining them for the 7pm seating. We ate there one other night. The atmosphere is nice-nothing fancy, the food is good, but the wait staff is quiet, barely looks at you and she had little personality.

They offer complimentary coffee and juice each morning over at the restaurant. We did not eat breakfast there as we had brought things from home. There is no bar or lounge area, however, you can buy drinks (beer, soda) from the front desk area to bring back to your room.

They also have a "spa" room. My husband had the deep tissue body massage and I got the foot reflexology. They were very good. Again, not a fancy place- this is not a lush resort, but very nice.

There's a small pool located next to the restaurant but, it's in the shade. I didn't see anyone using it while we were there. The small beach area is nice and there were plenty of lounge chairs all in fair condition.

And now I mention the "other stuff"...
Upon checking in they had not deducted off our bill the 50% deposit requirement sent to them six months ago. Okay, they resolved it. I asked if there was a 2nd story room available by chance and the manager, Rita, almost scolded me for asking. She then briskly showed us to our room without offering to help with our luggage. There was no tour of the property except pointing to the laundry room if we needed extra towels! There are no hotel room phones, but they offered to make reservations for us. However, she seemed out of sorts when I asked her for help. Just several little things that kept adding up making it annoying for us! It's hard to put in to words to describe our dealings with the owner/manager of this hotel without being rude. But, their mannerisms and crudeness were so unlike a Caribbean vibe it was bizarre. The manager is from NJ and looks tired and cranky and mutters to herself. The owner is from NYC. They never introduced themselves and never stopped talking when you approached them for help. They seemed to have been busy with lots of "stuff"? They seem very scattered. The complimentary boat ride was on an old, dirty Sunseeker-poor boat really needed cleaning! I wouldn’t dare go down to the cabin below! The captain, Lucien, was nice but very much to himself, barely spoke to us. Not sure if there were any life jackets to be had? The trip was for snorkeling but not until we almost left the dock were we told the masks and fins were in the hotel lobby and we should go get them.

This place could be so much better with just attending to some of the small details and a little more friendly and courteous interaction.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!