I researched the hotel myself on the internet, so didn't want to book through a travel agent who would receive a commission for my booking 7 nights when they didn't do any work for it. I phoned the Fort Recovery Resort directly and asked if we could meet in the middle on the commission. I'd like to negotiate to pay more than the commission price, but less than full price. Doug said we could work something out, but when he checked with the owner Anita, she would only include services in the price. I said that was fine, because that had value that we would otherwise pay for and accepted that they "included a two person half day snorkel excursion on their boat and a dinner for two". The weather was too rough Monday and Tuesday to go out, so Doug said Wednesday we'd go o!ut. He had a painting project to do Wednesday and Thursday morning he said he was going to finish painting the room. The weather seemed OK, but I think he just wanted to finish his painting project. When I asked what value would be refunded on our bill for 2 people not getting the snorkel excursionhe said "nothing - the excursion would have been complimentary, so it has no value". ....hmm, it "had value" when I made the booking directly with them. They got full price for the room.
Web site says a 7 day stay, receive fresh flowers in the room - we got NO flowers.
It also says "Includes toiletries" - there was only cheap motel style thin bars of soap for the sink and a bar of Ivory soap for the shower. No box of tissues, hair dryer, shampoo, lotion, or other ammenities one would expect to be included for $300.00 a night.
We had a mouse chewing through bags of nuts and vitamins in the kitchen our first 2 nights, so they put in a mouse trap, which the worker didn't activate properly the first day. They offered to move us to another suite, but we booked a second floor room with balcony to be higher than the bugs on the ground floor so we didn't want the ground floor rooms we were shown. The suite shown also did not have a stove, which we had in our original suite, and wanted to use.
We had discussed a rental car prior to arrival and Doug said they had a car on site to rent, which would be $65.00 a day. It was more like a "Rent a Wreck" - 2004 Chevrolet Tracker with a rusting body, an inside cover panel missing and rear door handle & surround missing, all 4 door lock knobs missing their tops, and smelled very mildew/musty. The second day we had it I mentioned to Doug that the passengar side floor was wet and the bottom of my new quilted handbag was getting soaked with dirty water soaking up into it from sitting on the floor. Their cleaners wash the car after each rental and Doug said it could be water from cleaning, but it should dry out and not smell musty. (we think the air conditioner leaked water) I asked if they would discount the car a bit but he checked with Anita and she said no. We would have changed to a proper rental car company, but had an appointment to rush off to that day, and the day after we rushed off to catch the ferry to Virgin Gorda after Doug told us their boat would not be taking us out as hoped for the 3rd day waiting, so in the end we put up with the car. I would recommend anyone going there to rent from a reputable rental car company who maintaines their vehicles. On our checkout bill they actually tried to charge us more at $70.00 a day, but we caught the error.
This vehicle has "personal plates and insurance" on it, so who knows what coverage would apply if in an accident.
The last day we were there we had no room service. The girls came but my husband was in the shower so asked them to come back in an hour after we had gone. We returned at 6:00pm, but the room had not been cleaned. - we asked Doug for clean towels which he gave us.
Packing up to leave, I found that the mouse had been in two of my drawers, chewing through bags of dried cranberries and walnuts and also a pair of new silk underware. Doug said he'd refund the price of the underware, but of course the nuts ware a wasted purchase. We found that the mouse had also been in more of the drawers after Doug left the room, pooping on our clothes. Doug moved the mouse trap from the kitchen to the bedroom to try and catch it. In the morning the mouse was still not caught in the trap.
We got tons of bites from mosquitos of noseums or something a couple of nights in the room as we slept. If you sit on the balcony outside be prepared to leave once the sun goes down because we got bitten a lot the first night sitting outside. Take lots of mosquito repellant and After Bite stick.
The beach that looks nice in their advertisement is actually only a small manmade beach running in front of their property; after that it's rocks. If you want to stay at a place on the beach, try the Long Bay Resort or other location. This woman, Anita, from New York who owns the hotel is in the service industry, but we found she charges a high price, and doesn't give the service.
- Also Known As:
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa And Suites Hotel
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa Hotel Road Town
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa Hotel
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Hotel
- Hotel Fort Recovery Beachfront
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel Tortola/Road Town
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel is a small, unique hotel located on Tortola, British Virgin Islands and is family owned & operated since 1969. Chosen by Discovery's Travel Channel, Fort Recovery was the only Hotel Selected on Tortola for their exclusive Caribbean showcase. They were also chosen as the Captain's Guide Magazine's "Best Resort," by the Reader's of the Captain's Guide Magazine. All suites are directly on the beach with Cable TV, A/C, free WI-FI, housekeeping, private balcony/patio/deck, living room, kitchen, master bedroom, full bathroom and more. Views are unmatched and completely unobstructed, right on the calm, Caribbean side of Tortola. On site is a full service Spa with professionally trained staff. There is an in-house, private restaurant also serving breakfast and dinner daily. 24/7 on-site management and knowledgeable front desk staff are always there at your service! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.