We just completed our 3rd trip to the VIs in the last 5 years, but this is the first time we have stayed on a BVI, choosing Tortola as our home base for the week. In order to fully appreciate the BVIs, and Fort Recovery in particular, you need to have the right expectations. If you are looking for a party atmosphere with waitresses pushing drinks, then this place is not for you. Fort Recovery is very laid back, and any drinks you get are made in your own kitchen. However, this works out great because your villa will probably be no more than 50 ft from the ocean. Our 3 BR unit with 3 baths was no more than 10-15 feet from the water. Also, if you are looking for a perfectly manicured lawn and giant pool, look elsewhere too. The resort is small and the pool is an afterthought. We are "beach people" though, and could hardly care about these items.
The beach at Fort Recovery is very nice. There are break walls strategically positioned to make the water very calm. There is also complimentary snorkeling equipment to use. While the fish life offshore is not spectacular, doing some free snorkeling is a good source of exercise and a fun way to pass the time. One turn off for some people may be the sea grass about 30' offshore. However, it was quite easy to swim over it if you are easily squeamish about those things.
We explored other beaches on the West End of the island and each had issues. I found the beach at Frenchman's Cay to be very lacking, and it was a complete turn off for me. The Long Bay beach did have way too many rocks on its floor as others have written about the resort, but if you walk west from the resort, the ocean bottom is all sand. This beach is also the only one we found with big waves, which children love, but adults may find a bit noisy. The beach at Smugglers Cove was nice, but nothing special either. All things considered, I appreciated the Fort Recovery beach and set-up more after visiting these locales.
The villa itself served its purpose perfectly. It was not luxurious, but it was very comfortable, and we all slept well. Given the 4 adults are difficult sleepers, that is saying something. I do wish though each bedroom had its own TV.
Even though Fort Recovery is very nice, do make it a point to plan some day trips. Our trips to Virgin Gorda's "Baths" and White Bay on Jost Van Dyke were wonderful. Also, plan at least one day of snorkeling to the Caves and the Indians off Norman Island. I have written reviews on each. Also, you should get a rental car even though the roads on Tortola are awful.
Our room rate included 1 free filet mignon dinner, and a 1/2 day of snorkeling. Given that the villa is the equivalent of 3 hotel rooms, the rate was pretty fair - especially for being right on the ocean. Whether on the front porch or resting in bed, you will be serenaded by the gentle surf hitting the shoreline - very nice.
You will notice I gave the property the highest rating. In truth, it probably is more like a 4.5 star resort in my book, but as the week went on, I appreciated it more for what it was and minimized its few areas to improve. Unless you are a very pampered traveller, you should enjoy yourself here.
- Also Known As:
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa And Suites Hotel
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa Hotel Road Town
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa Hotel
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Hotel
- Hotel Fort Recovery Beachfront
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel Tortola/Road Town
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel is a small, unique hotel located on Tortola, British Virgin Islands and is family owned & operated since 1969. Chosen by Discovery's Travel Channel, Fort Recovery was the only Hotel Selected on Tortola for their exclusive Caribbean showcase. They were also chosen as the Captain's Guide Magazine's "Best Resort," by the Reader's of the Captain's Guide Magazine. All suites are directly on the beach with Cable TV, A/C, free WI-FI, housekeeping, private balcony/patio/deck, living room, kitchen, master bedroom, full bathroom and more. Views are unmatched and completely unobstructed, right on the calm, Caribbean side of Tortola. On site is a full service Spa with professionally trained staff. There is an in-house, private restaurant also serving breakfast and dinner daily. 24/7 on-site management and knowledgeable front desk staff are always there at your service! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, Venere, Hotels.com, Priceline and Otel so you can book your Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.